Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

44 minutes ago, gosinger said:

I am a big proponent of sticking with skates that fit, so I'm mainly gonna talk about Bauer Vapor in your case. So the material your XXXX had was Tech-Mesh, which was on the top model until the x:60. Then it was available on the second-tier (x7.0) to the APX which already featured Curve composite. The completely different cut Nexus had Tech Mesh on the top skate for a little longer, but also made the switch to Curve. If you take a look at the Bauer Roller skates, you can see that they essentially added more wear guards / bumpers to their ice skates to make the suitable for outdoor play.

Last season I took some Kydex (thermoformable plastic sheet), heated it up and glued it to the high wear areas of my APX skates - it held up nicely (especially in area where the toe-cap and the boot meet) and will most likely extend the life of the boot by quite a bit. Others on this forum have added multiple layers of 2 component epoxy as "bumpers" to the same area for wear protection.
However, I only covered the regular high wear areas, so if I was to take a high speed spill / slide the boot might come into contact with asphalt in other areas as-well. If you are concerned about something like this (rather than usual wear and tear), you might consider covering the entire side of the boot with Kydex (kind of like a shotblocker would be mounted) or b) switching to a different boot.

Thanks for the detailed reply 🙂

I'm struggling to find an 8EE in older Bauer lines, so an inline skate boot or some mods like you discussed sound like the way.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:05 PM, gosinger said:

Last season I took some Kydex (thermoformable plastic sheet), heated it up and glued it to the high wear areas of my APX skates - it held up nicely (especially in area where the toe-cap and the boot meet) and will most likely extend the life of the boot by quite a bit. Others on this forum have added multiple layers of 2 component epoxy as "bumpers" to the same area for wear protection.

Out of interest, would you know much about the construction of Vapor XX skates? I have an old pair but they are half a size too small and the toe cap seems to have a hard plastic inner that isn't reshapable.  If I could remove the inner toe cap or push the toe out a fraction, I think they'd fit and do nicely as an inline boot.  I'm just not sure if there will be structural problems with it removed.

Sorry, I know nothing about the XX, before my time. However, rather than modifying the toe cap I'd look into stretching the boot, the XX might be old enough to be stretched successfully. I doubt it is worth it though, just flip em and get a pair of used ice skates that fit to convert (I recently picked up two pairs of APX and an 1X for ~60€ each).

5 minutes ago, OpenIceHit42 said:

How much is the average conversion? I’d love to find a pair of Supreme’s and get them converted

$35 from the MSH Pro Shop:

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:42 PM, gosinger said:

Sorry, I know nothing about the XX, before my time. However, rather than modifying the toe cap I'd look into stretching the boot, the XX might be old enough to be stretched successfully. I doubt it is worth it though, just flip em and get a pair of used ice skates that fit to convert (I recently picked up two pairs of APX and an 1X for ~60€ each).

Nice.  Where did you get them from? Is there anywhere over there that would ship internationally?

Just check your local classifieds, ask at your local pro-shop (one of ours sells used skates from the pro team), ebay, for the US also stuff like sideline-swap, etc.

One of my OG Mako/Sprung conversions split, but after one skate I really like my new M7 conversion. The M7 actually feels stiffer than the OG Mako ever did, it fits the same and the weight difference is marginal (not noticeable while skating). The only real difference I notice is the thick white felt tongue vs. the thinner heat responsive tongue with the plastic metatarsal guard on the OG Mako. The M7 tongue doesn't naturally wrap as well and I had to fiddle with the lacing a couple times, but I'm sure it will break in with use.

2h33eax.jpg24yw7ip.jpg

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

9Started a conversion today for my son,  picked up some lightly used super tacks and figured a carbon frame conversion is going to look pretty nice,  

Drew it up on cad last night,  carbon is in the post,  bashed out  some ally prototype sideplates in the garage to check fit before I chop up the expensive carbon with the cnc kit at work.

http://ibb.co/6WTDTs6

is there a reputable company in the states that i can ship my boots and chassis to for conversion?  only looking for someone who is skilled at the process and not just replacing ice holders. no shops near me.  thanks

4 hours ago, wetwilly17 said:

been awhile since ive been active on here.  JR the site admin?  thanks

JR owns Modsquad, managed a Total Hockey store and worked in the hockey industry for years before that, including a stint in the equipment department for the Tampa Bay lightning. I believe he also played inline in college. So your skates would be in excellent, very knowledgeable hands if you send them to JR.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vince58 said:

Q9GmaBC.jpghttps://ibb.co/mN0CnNk

Almost finished on the carbon framed super tacks build,   

wow what size wheels are those?  perhaps the photo is misleading.

is that your custom chassis?  ive always dreamed of an 80-76-80-80 chassis that was lower than all setups and slightly shorter wheelbase.  second wheel from front would be the 76.

Edited by wetwilly17
  • Like 2

Wheels are labeda grippers with the decals wiped off with paint thinners, 

Chassis is 4x80 with a size 4.5 boot,  

Last ones i made were 3x80 on a 3.0 boot.

Middle 2 wheels are 2mm rockered.

Chassis is my own design/manufacture.

Axles are a solid 8mm alloy through bolt with a m5 titanium torx screw retaining

• Like 2