Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

On 3/18/2019 at 11:45 PM, theinfamoust94 said:

50toM6J.jpg

Just got these bad boys converted over the weekend. First time playing roller in almost 10 years should be a good time

How did you remove the decals whilst preserving the finish?

87Cv5xebeN7h2weJeb9xIH_BGNnaCY8JUkYfXAkPozc_3zwIO58MHVbhKOpqAgGca_F5C-zoZ0iy5YXpy23Ga5f5DsGgGGknMXz7-5DNJsysE24AS_fsXpRZZYcCijvrs7SVTbHCFri1L92bK33pL0tATCr6BPLIkPHPC2gQbUYiKl1oW6XRQzJvGqwAYGzKFJ-hgiLEbtcdkEajiulaYAqa8zA4CHa8UbElZZa4Yhk_6mcFTTaslpD3Y5n6MiZjj1yoIaJz6PHAX6X7aGNwVB2emgIxMQE9Pd8p3Cn3YNFoRgGwI2TRcLnF5LyNA1QfBdfV8722I0VDkh7jFU0NX2s64zc-2th6umYkDEMzTrrVh6s0UzsqL5TSXEovFT57DjHNps4o1lTWerCmI6noap_QTCsbaEKC8bS-E5dyGUu77qf5kkJqCsNgZ0k9-1KhuHwEMohgUlI3nABas48updlCqPQIAJlGjkyWx5wjXAqiIa8WI8KfrIsbBoeX26Atn3Pyi42jf0fDe1XF48mJ1N7CJdT7umYsyDTJxP5GaHGHhy-TX4U_lBg--Weh2XFYT6ic7B8RxTb-G6ir4gP_9faGawdT0NoZtIYAdrOgYqNtdRA-X69657tBA-JX1K_9FWDWVYVr85nF3kuxB1JN3j53lA0Muem2=w678-h903-no

Pro stock x7.0, sprung  frames and 72mm Labeda Addiction wheels. I thought the frame was mounted too far forward at first, but skating in them feels natural. After one season, and first of inline in a while, i'm thinking about replacing the bearings from Bevo abec 9 to something something swiss or a different manufacturer (not necessarily the thread for it but open to suggestions)

I have a pair of Bauer Nexus size 5.5EE that I want to convert and am wondering what the right size Hi-Lo chassis would be. The TUUK holder on there now is the same size that Bauer puts on a pair of 6D skates, so should I apply the same logic to the chassis and go with a Senior small or a junior size? Also where can I find a junior size chassis? All I can find are senior sizes. Thanks.

Edited by SlaterC42
Grammar.

Reviving this from the dead since I'm sure a lot of us have converted ice skates to inlines during quarantine. 

2v2HYDPEFx1YqB.jpg

Edited by Westside
  • Like 4

On 4/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, bogeywhite said:

87Cv5xebeN7h2weJeb9xIH_BGNnaCY8JUkYfXAkPozc_3zwIO58MHVbhKOpqAgGca_F5C-zoZ0iy5YXpy23Ga5f5DsGgGGknMXz7-5DNJsysE24AS_fsXpRZZYcCijvrs7SVTbHCFri1L92bK33pL0tATCr6BPLIkPHPC2gQbUYiKl1oW6XRQzJvGqwAYGzKFJ-hgiLEbtcdkEajiulaYAqa8zA4CHa8UbElZZa4Yhk_6mcFTTaslpD3Y5n6MiZjj1yoIaJz6PHAX6X7aGNwVB2emgIxMQE9Pd8p3Cn3YNFoRgGwI2TRcLnF5LyNA1QfBdfV8722I0VDkh7jFU0NX2s64zc-2th6umYkDEMzTrrVh6s0UzsqL5TSXEovFT57DjHNps4o1lTWerCmI6noap_QTCsbaEKC8bS-E5dyGUu77qf5kkJqCsNgZ0k9-1KhuHwEMohgUlI3nABas48updlCqPQIAJlGjkyWx5wjXAqiIa8WI8KfrIsbBoeX26Atn3Pyi42jf0fDe1XF48mJ1N7CJdT7umYsyDTJxP5GaHGHhy-TX4U_lBg--Weh2XFYT6ic7B8RxTb-G6ir4gP_9faGawdT0NoZtIYAdrOgYqNtdRA-X69657tBA-JX1K_9FWDWVYVr85nF3kuxB1JN3j53lA0Muem2=w678-h903-no

Pro stock x7.0, sprung  frames and 72mm Labeda Addiction wheels. I thought the frame was mounted too far forward at first, but skating in them feels natural. After one season, and first of inline in a while, i'm thinking about replacing the bearings from Bevo abec 9 to something something swiss or a different manufacturer (not necessarily the thread for it but open to suggestions)

A bit late ... but this is an interesting read: 

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34935

Many posters reckon bearings made in Switzerland are noticeably better, although the wheels make more of a difference. Note that abec ratings are meaningless for skates as the latter subject the bearings to twisting forces, the abec rating tests only rotation as it’s for industrial machinery. A high abec value bearing might even be worse for a skate. 

ycSlkdZ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Just got these back from JR. 2s pros are awesome. I only had one full set of floating spacers lying around, so I set up the 2s pros. I just threw some wheels on the 1s for the picture. They feel nice, haven't really had a chance to put them to the test, but they feel great and they are definitely mounted perfectly. Have another pair of 1s waiting for the marsblades r1 to arrive. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, Miller55 said:

ycSlkdZ_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Just got these back from JR. 2s pros are awesome. I only had one full set of floating spacers lying around, so I set up the 2s pros. I just threw some wheels on the 1s for the picture. They feel nice, haven't really had a chance to put them to the test, but they feel great and they are definitely mounted perfectly. Have another pair of 1s waiting for the marsblades r1 to arrive. 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but where do you ship the skates to for JR to mount the chassis? I'm wondering how much shipping will cost.

1 hour ago, xyphox said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but where do you ship the skates to for JR to mount the chassis? I'm wondering how much shipping will cost.

JR will get in contact with you when with his address once you submit your order.

9 hours ago, xyphox said:

He lives in Florida if you want a general estimate, but you can contact him directly for more details. The shipping is definitely an added charge, but the quality is worth it, and also, I use the site so I wanted to support the services that they offer, even though it could cost me a bit more. I can support my local shop through other stuff.

Also, not sure prices by you, but I actually think it was cheaper for me even with shipping. My local shop charges 55 +tax for a full conversion. I got 3 pairs done by JR for 90 bucks, and shipping both ways totaled about 60 bucks. So 3 pairs of skates cost me 150. Local, I would have paid 165+ tax, and it would have been an hour drive each way, so 4 hours of driving total.

Obviously depends on your local prices, but in my case the MSH prices ended up being better. I didn't realize it then, but now that I'm making the calculation, I obviously won out. I would have sent them either way, but it's nice to know I saved a few bucks and a few hours of driving.

Also, I was having sprungs mounted, and I didn't want to take any chances in them being mounted incorrectly or poorly. I know JR has done many, so I felt much more comfortable sending then to him.

Edited by Miller55
  • Like 2

That’s one reason I had JR do my conversion. Knowing new holes were likely going to need to be drilled, I wanted to know for sure it was going to be done right.

• Like 2

Long time lurker, first time caller....

I'm looking to get into some roller fun in the next few weeks, after a 10yr hiatus.  Pick up some 2017 Vapor 1x to convert, and a fresh pair of Sprung A8s.  I just removed the ice older from the boots, and was a little surprised to see the carbon base plate wasn't solid, but hollowed out under the holder.  Looking at the sprung baseplate, it doesnt look wide enough to rest on the flat/supported parts of the boot like where the ice holder was.  link to pic below. 

https://ibb.co/0m1Dv8B

Curious to know what my options are at this point?  Since I'm a notorious DYI'er, my immidiate thought was to fill the open area with 2 part epoxy.  

4 hours ago, Jzwolen said:

Long time lurker, first time caller....

I'm looking to get into some roller fun in the next few weeks, after a 10yr hiatus.  Pick up some 2017 Vapor 1x to convert, and a fresh pair of Sprung A8s.  I just removed the ice older from the boots, and was a little surprised to see the carbon base plate wasn't solid, but hollowed out under the holder.  Looking at the sprung baseplate, it doesnt look wide enough to rest on the flat/supported parts of the boot like where the ice holder was.  link to pic below. 

https://ibb.co/0m1Dv8B

Curious to know what my options are at this point?  Since I'm a notorious DYI'er, my immidiate thought was to fill the open area with 2 part epoxy.  

It should fit... Just looking at mine, they are fine. I believe this is something that sprungs considered, as they were marketing their frames to be used on ice boots for conversion. That was a big point for them, to convert the same boots you use for ice to roller. I would try to live them up again and make sure to have front and back wheels on them, and they're supposed to be mounted a quarter inch back from center I believe.

The better option might be to try to drill out a bit of the frame base plate to enlarge the holes just slightly to the outside, and you should be able to fit the frame onto the main part of the outsole. Otherwise have a pro do it, because you ain't gettin another pair of sprungs too quickly

19 hours ago, xyphox said:

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s one reason I had JR do my conversion. Knowing new holes were likely going to need to be drilled, I wanted to know for sure it was going to be done right.

Yup, especially with sprungs that are a bit funky to mount and line up. I have been having frames swapped for close to 2 decades, from the old generator and eframes, but I always take it to a pro. I'm very handy and I have a good eye too (I work as a bookbinder) but when it comes to skates I trust pros only. A screw up on these and I could go down hard. I don't really have time for broken anything at this point. To me it's a matter of safety. 

Thanks for the input.  I know it there is enough 'meat' around the end where the Sprung plate will go, my concern is that the very inner edge of the boot baseplate is almost hollow.  Drilling through it doesn't seem like it will be stable at all.  

As far as general mounting goes, I just purchased the ModSquad mounting option and will be shipping them out to JR.  

• Like 3

As far as I recall, all ice boots are like this and I don't think it's an issue so long as you get the frames mounted on the thicker area, even if it's towards the inner edge of that area.

This must be a newer development/weight savings.  My last conversion of Vapor XXXXs  had a full outsole.  I think once JR receives them, if he has any issues with the way they are constructed, he'll give me a shout.

• Like 1

Just had these done at Pure. I had some Mission NLS2 that were unfortunately, too wide. Bummed at the prospect of buying a new set of skates, my buddy told me to just troll around sideline swap for a pair of donor boots. These 1S in my size came up for a super cheap price - $135. I had Pure take off my Bauer/Mission chassis and put them on the 1S and I'm now loving it. 

61808799656-16979442-37-FA-4848-B054-285

• Like 3

Had JR do these. True roller boot with Marsblades. You can see that my skates are a tad too short, but he made it work. I wear a size 6.5 in Bauer, and the Marsblades are a size medium.

20200916-175137-HDR.jpg

20200916-175303-HDR-1.jpg

20200916-175309-1.jpg

• Like 4

Finally got around to stripping and anodizing my R1’s. Damn these look sick! Plan on painting the axles just to complete the murdered out look 

2v2HjueZMx1YqB.jpg

• Like 4

Nice. I ended up just selling my R1s recently as I couldn't really justify a third pair of skates, but I was gonna do exactly what you did, black out the bottom piece and the axels. Looks great

Yea, I also got rid of my OG O1's and only have the R1's. Will need to find a place to do my conversion shortly and will probably look to get another pair of skates to have O1's again. Three skates is a lot but given how much I do hockey, I can justify in my own head hahahaha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Joined the blade gang. Buying a True shaft and ABS blade for some fun at the ball hockey rink by my house. 

IMG-0886.jpg

Edited by Cove
  • Like 4