Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

play_like_girls.jpg

Not to be offensive, but I found it humourous that you used this comic to show that women playing hockey deserve the same respect as men. I'm pretty sure the comic is making fun of the men for playing like women, which is why they lost. Kind of ironic

my dad owns a store and i know the employs hate it when people walk in the store and hold up two sticks and ask witch one is better and when people call the store at like one and ask if its open.

Edited by cardinalhcky26

Jus ;) t remember, "The customer is always right."

After 28 years in this business, no the customer is not always right. He just thinks he is.

Yep, the customer is usually misinformed, uninformed, and needs help. Its the ones that dont listen that get to me. And for the herb, you are exactly the kind of customer I dont want. Worth more trouble than what you will spend.

Yep, the customer is usually misinformed, uninformed, and needs help. Its the ones that dont listen that get to me. And for the herb, you are exactly the kind of customer I dont want. Worth more trouble than what you will spend.

Tell you what- if you have the guts to post the name and location of your store I'll be sure to make it a point to NEVER drop in there and flex your sticks or spend $1k like I did last month at my LHS. And I'm sure lots of other people on this board would do the same.

Keep up your sunny disposition 'hater and pretty soon when then bank locks your doors for you you won't have to deal with misinformed, uninformed helpless people with money ever again.

My observation on the flexing, at least with regards to those seeing how close it can bend to the floor, is it appears many people are doing it because they've seen others do it.

Think about it. I've seen people put their entire body weight over the stick to see how far it will bend, but outside of Brett Hull with his 65 flex (or whatever it was) who will EVER bend a stick anywhere close to that degree on the ice? Once or twice, I've had players say they can feel the flexpoint is "here" versus "there on that stick." Yet many of them seem like they're flexing the stick as much as possible because....well....it seems like you're supposed to do it.

I am surprised that nobody has listed the all-time dumbest question - when you are standing next to the sharpener and they walk in and ask "Do you sharpen skates?"

My response is - "Yeah, we have this machine here.  I just watched the video and yours are the first ones I'm about to do."

Even better is when you are ON the machine sharpening a pair of skates. "WTF does it look like I'm doing, polishing the blade?"

Anyways, as far as flexing goes, we hate it, but, fortunately enough, my store isn't large enough that I won't see/hear someone snapping a shaft. I have a sign over by the sticks and shafts "you break it, you bought it." It cut down on flexing the FIRST time a kid broke the stick and had to take it home with him. Lil' Johnny's mom wasn't too happy, but, I did give them their receipt. :D Since then, not one stick broken and far less flexing. The word got out quick on that one.

Also, I have printed out every OPS manufacturer's warranty phone numbers on a piece of paper, along with how many days their stick is warrantied by the manufacturer. Stapled to that, without fail, is the receipt. On the "warranty sheet", we apologize in advance that we are not permitted by any of the manufacturers to replace a broken OPS, shaft or blade, and that they must contact the manufacturer listed.

We have yet to be challenged on it. I guess we have been lucky.

As far as "hockeyherb" goes, in my book, you're right. Many of us have complained about the 1800FACEOFF's, HockeyGiant's, HockeyMonkey's, ePuck, etc., but, we bring it upon ourselves in a lot of ways.

However, the flip side of that, "hockeyherb", is that there is a large amount of frustration over how much this business has changed because of the Internet, and "why can't you replace this" when the product wasn't bought at my store, AND I'm the bad guy because of it!

DarkStar50 has been in this business for MANY years. I am going on almost 15 years and the business has NEVER been harder than what it is today. Jimmy I cannot speak for, but, sounds like awhile as well. Many of these frustrations come out because how the customer treats us.

Sure, it's a dog eat dog world and we need to adjust and change our businesses because of what the Internet has brought us. However, if you think things will be better with fewer retailers or buying direct, think again. Prices will go up when there are far less people to buy from. The sport is costly enough and there will come a day when the manufacturers may buck the current system and sell direct, which, a few have.

When that happens, there will be far less people playing the sport because it will become far too costly for people to afford it. Hockey in the US is already termed as "an upper middle to higher class" sport.

With regards to selling direct, take my stance on MiA. I have told and will continue to tell fellow store owners not to deal with them. They sell direct to the consumer. I need to protect my business and will continue to support those who support me.

All the people on MSH that have their noses stuffed up MiA's ass, they think "OMG, I'm getting these, awesome gloves, great service, great price." YOU'RE GETTING RIPPED OFF!!! They are not only making the profit on what they would sell the gloves to a dealer for, they are making the dealer's profit to boot! How did you get a deal? If they were doing you such favors, you would be paying $120 instead of $179-189! One word for all of you...SUCKERS!

I won't get into, what is my opinion (as well as others on MSH), their unethical way of STARTING their business, as well as trying to pass themselves off as "Made In America"! I have NEVER met a Canadian who wanted to be known in any way, shape or form as an American! More so for those from Quebec who, 9 times out of 10 think that they are far superior to everyone (and dead wrong for thinking it!). What comes around goes around boys. Let's see how far you make it.

Enough out of me for tonight. Enjoy the NHL Trade Deadline.

Edited by G.M.

What is MiA anyways? It seems to be tossed around a lot on this site.

Made in America (miasports.com) they make things like custom gloves.

However, the flip side of that, "hockeyherb", is that there is a large amount of frustration over how much this business has changed because of the Internet, and "why can't you replace this" when the product wasn't bought at my store, AND I'm the bad guy because of it!

DarkStar50 has been in this business for MANY years. I am going on almost 15 years and the business has NEVER been harder than what it is today. Jimmy I cannot speak for, but, sounds like awhile as well. Many of these frustrations come out because how the customer treats us.

If you guys have been in business that long then you're obviously doing something right.

I totally agree with you on the frustrations of the internet customers - I'm sure there were some spoiled crybaby customers even before the internet! Myself, I'd much rather support the local guy as long as he treats me ok, and they do where I live. They have to stay competitive of course, like within 20-30% of what the typical discount might be online, because I feel that's the premium I'm willing to pay to actually buy from a person and get some real service.

When that happens, there will be far less people playing the sport because it will become far too costly for people to afford it. Hockey in the US is already termed as "an upper middle to higher class" sport.

No comment on the rest of your post, but do you really think that hockey manufacturers are going to raise the prices and drive away their customers? Really?

Because that would be the stupidest possible thing they could do. They spend millions of dollars every year on advertising intended to increase their customer base; raising prices out of the reach of most current players would be pretty incredibly stupid. Neither Nike nor Reebok -- both of whom are very large corporations and didn't get that way by being idiotic -- is likely to do that.

All that would happen in that case is that some other company would see an opportunity to take over the market by selling less expensive gear (direct or otherwise), and the other manufacturers would either have to accept niche status (like Apple) or bring their prices back down to sane levels. That's simple economics.

That said, I do like local hockey shops better than online. Things like pants and shin guards are hard to fit online, so unless you're buying exact replacements it's a lot riskier than heading into a store and trying them on there.

two things piss me off the most.

1. when parents buy a less protective helmet for there child just because it's $20 cheaper.

2. when people get mad at me when i don't have something they want in stock.(t'blades)

No comment on the rest of your post, but do you really think that hockey manufacturers are going to raise the prices and drive away their customers? Really?

Because that would be the stupidest possible thing they could do. They spend millions of dollars every year on advertising intended to increase their customer base; raising prices out of the reach of most current players would be pretty incredibly stupid. Neither Nike nor Reebok -- both of whom are very large corporations and didn't get that way by being idiotic -- is likely to do that.

All that would happen in that case is that some other company would see an opportunity to take over the market by selling less expensive gear (direct or otherwise), and the other manufacturers would either have to accept niche status (like Apple) or bring their prices back down to sane levels. That's simple economics.

That said, I do like local hockey shops better than online. Things like pants and shin guards are hard to fit online, so unless you're buying exact replacements it's a lot riskier than heading into a store and trying them on there.

I don't think they will raise prices enough to drive the CURRENT player away, although, most adults curtail buying anything new, other than sticks. It will be the parents bringing in new, youth players who will suffer.

The sport, however, is already expensive enough for new players. Parents look at how much it costs to get their child outfitted for hockey, which if all new gear, buying the absolute cheapest of the cheapest, you'd be lucky to get in at under $200 ($225 plus tax would be realistic and I can break this down for anyone interested), plus whatever the fee to play, they look at it and say "is baseball, basketball, lacrosse, soccer any cheaper?"

The answer to that is yes, and far cheaper at that!

All the people on MSH that have their noses stuffed up MiA's ass, they think "OMG, I'm getting these, awesome gloves, great service, great price."  YOU'RE GETTING RIPPED OFF!!!  They are not only making the profit on what they would sell the gloves to a dealer for, they are making the dealer's profit to boot!  How did you get a deal?  If they were doing you such favors, you would be paying $120 instead of $179-189!  One word for all of you...SUCKERS!

I am not a sucker if 100% of the profit on a pair of gloves goes to the manufacturer, as opposed to splitting the profit between retailer and manufacturer. As a consumer, I am indifferent to where the profit goes or how much profit is made by the manufacturer, all I care about is the product and how much it cost me. I don't own MIAs, so I don't know what the equivalent glove is, but let's assume for argument's sake that it is an Eagle glove of some sort. If I can get a pair of custom MIAs direct for cheaper than a comparable custom Eagle bought through a retailer, and then if I can get them faster, then it IS a good deal compared to the Eagle. The deal isn't better or worse for me just because the retailer did or did not get his cut, it's just better or worse for the retailer.

To add a small comment to the stick flexing discussion.

I realize 85 flex is pretty much the same across the board between Easton models. But my reason for flexing a stick is to find out how a Whip or Regular in TPS, or Mid-Flex in CCM, or 280 in Innovative compare to that standard 85 flex. I'm probably not going to trust some post on a forum saying that they are close or not. I would want to know for sure myself.

I understand the shafts flex during passes and shots, so a flex (within moderation, yes) in the store shouldn't damage the stick.

I think the "You Break It, You Bought It" signs are a great idea, too.

No comment on the rest of your post, but do you really think that hockey manufacturers are going to raise the prices and drive away their customers?  Really?

I don't think they will raise prices enough to drive the CURRENT player away, although, most adults curtail buying anything new, other than sticks. It will be the parents bringing in new, youth players who will suffer.

The sport, however, is already expensive enough for new players. Parents look at how much it costs to get their child outfitted for hockey, which if all new gear, buying the absolute cheapest of the cheapest, you'd be lucky to get in at under $200 ($225 plus tax would be realistic and I can break this down for anyone interested), plus whatever the fee to play, they look at it and say "is baseball, basketball, lacrosse, soccer any cheaper?"

to answer that final question, if you were to out all of the equipment from all of those sports would be enough to equip one hockey player

I remember my dad bitching about the cost to outfit me for hockey every year when I was a kid back in the 70s, so not much has changed. Sadly he was one of those guys that loved buying equipment that will last 'for a couple of years'. Not with my skates though thank goodness.

It is always going to be at least a middle class sport and be the most expensive just because of the amount of equipment needed. Football might be the only comparable sport but for some reason football always provides the majority of the equipment versus hockey. I honestly wouldn't want my kid wearing nasty stuff worn by 10 other kids in previous seasons anyway.

I don't understand why he wouldn't want my business weekly either.  He does take quite a bit of time on my skates, so maybe that is an issue.  Or maybe he just hates me?

Were you flexing any sticks in the store ? ;)

Tell you what- if you have the guts to post the name and location of your store I'll be sure to make it a point to NEVER drop in there and flex your sticks or spend $1k like I did last month at my LHS. And I'm sure lots of other people on this board would do the same.

Keep up your sunny disposition 'hater and pretty soon when then bank locks your doors for you you won't have to deal with misinformed, uninformed helpless people with money ever again.

Dude, you can go to hockeymonkey and shop your brains out. Like i said, you are the asshold customer none of us want to deal with. I wouldnt care if you spent a grand in the store, Id still be annoyed at you flexing all the sticks. And if people really want to know where my store is, PM me.

The rink that runs my local league has a package equipment deal -- the youth one runs $199.

And you can always buy used to get cheaper than that -- the youth used market should be pretty lively, since kids grow out of things faster than they wear out.

And you can get kids into roller hockey or even (for ultimate savings) floor/street hockey (which can be played with nothing more than a stick and maybe some shin/elbow pads) to make sure they'll like it/stick with it before you start dropping lots of cash on ice equipment.

I'm not saying hockey isn't relatively expensive, because it is. But I can't see manufacturers intentionally pricing their product more expensively if it's only available online; it just doesn't work out economically. You always want to attract new people, since that's a much better way to grow revenue than trying to resell to your existing customers.