Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

If I see someone staring at something for a minute or two or comparing two products, I'll ask if they need a hand or throw in a comment about one of the products they seem to be interested in.

That's how my LHS does it with me and with everyone.

Customer staring at skate wall: Why is this skate $150 and this one $450? What makes it so expensive?

That's not necessarily a stupid question. To someone who doesn't follow all the latest gear (or who isn't an experienced hockey player), the answer is really not obvious.

Especially given that you can look at $450 sneakers compared to $50 sneakers and ask the same question and the answer is "basically nothing".

Customer staring at skate wall: Why is this skate $150 and this one $450? What makes it so expensive?

That's not necessarily a stupid question. To someone who doesn't follow all the latest gear (or who isn't an experienced hockey player), the answer is really not obvious.

I don't find the question stupid or annoying. I find it to be funny. I also like the ? because then its the perfect lead-in to showing a customer how much you do or don't know about the product on the wall. Once I begin to explain the differences then I also know how serious the customer is about buying skates.

I hate it when people come in and say "do you work here?"

no im just behind the counter with my vest on that says the name of the store.

People arent all as bad as we make them out to be. You can have fun with some customers. Sure there are the odd people that are jerks and just want you to give them everything but its cool working in a store that you meet so many different types of people.

yesterday i had a guy come in and he was obviously gay, wearing a tight tight pair of leather pants and carrying a little man purse. hahaha well anyways he swaggerd over to the counter and asked if we had any inserts to make the crotchal area look bigger. I was like ummm you mean a can? hes like ahahaha im just teasing you. and thats all he wanted. he left right after that.

hahahaha

Edited by beaver5

yesterday i had a guy come in and he was obviously gay, wearing a tight tight pair of leather pants and carrying a little man purse. hahaha well anyways he swaggerd over to the counter and asked if we had any inserts to make the crotchal area look bigger. I was like ummm you mean a can? hes like ahahaha im just teasing you. and thats all he wanted. he left right after that.

hahahaha

wtf? lol :blink:

Guest Muck

hahahaha

wtf? lol :blink:

Same sentiments. :blink:

wierd, just wierd.....

Anyway, what Beaver said was right, not all customers are like the ones we point out in this thread. The people pointed out are the worst examples and the ones that stick out in our minds. But for the most part, customers are friendly and are just ordinary people looking for some help with hockey equipment.

You should have turned the tables on him and pointed to the jockstraps ;) :lol:

People arent all as bad as we make them out to be. You can have fun with some customers. Sure there are the odd people that are jerks and just want you to give them everything but its cool working in a store that you meet so many different types of people.

hahahaha

I didn't know they played hockey in San Fransisco. :D

hahahaha

I didn't know they played hockey in San Fransisco. :D

We have hockey playing members from SF.

Ok, i have a question, when i go to the LHS with my 18 month old son and fiancee, my son likes to touch stuff. We dont let him touch any of the expesnive stuff.. no stocks or gloves, but he tends to take balls out of the bottom racks and play with them..... Now of course we always put everything he touches away and all, and it is the only way to keep the little bugger quiet while i am shopping. ... How annoying do you think this is to the LHS???? I hope they are not bother by it........

Also, if looking to buy a stick, but you have no clue about the flex you should be looking at, whats the best thing to do instead of going and flexing sticks like you guys hate????

Ask the shop guys to explain the differences between flex #s, what you need based on your build, position you play, etc. Most knowledgeable shop guys love to talk about product.

Ask the shop guys to explain the differences between flex #s, what you need based on your build, position you play, etc. Most knowledgeable shop guys love to talk about product.

yeah thats very true but it happens more if the sales guy feels somewhat of a connection between him and the customer.

too add to the list had this guy come in last night with a canadian tire ccm HT1 helmet looking to put a cage on it and none would fit properly because of the width of the helmet, anyways the helmet was way too big for the kid and i told the parents this helmet is way too big for him and he would need a smaller helmet. the parents response too this was well hes a growing boy and your head doesnt grow much at all, it grows ever so slightly in a year which caused them too laugh. thats real annoying because your telling them the truth and there not believing something your saying. like whens the last time a kid came in for a new helmet on a yearly basis

Ok, i have a question, when i go to the LHS with my 18 month old son and fiancee, my son likes to touch stuff. We dont let him touch any of the expesnive stuff.. no stocks or gloves, but he tends to take balls out of the bottom racks and play with them..... Now of course we always put everything he touches away and all, and it is the only way to keep the little bugger quiet while i am shopping. ... How annoying do you think this is to the LHS???? I hope they are not bother by it........

That doesn't bother me at all, its when you get like 5 or 6 kids, around like 7 years old that are whipping balls across the store at each other that is bothersome. If its just to keep your child's smile on his face thats perfect.

Also, if looking to buy a stick, but you have no clue about the flex you should be looking at, whats the best thing to do instead of going and flexing sticks like you guys hate????

No, no, no, You're supposed to laugh while he uses a $200 OPS to smack the other sticks, shelves and racks. Then leave in a huff when someone suggests that you pick up any of the dozens of pieces of gear that end up on the floor.

Hockey Dad is in the shop last night while his son tries out for a local youth team. He is checking out shin pads so I help him with the different styles, differences, pros and cons, etc. He tell me his pads are ancient and he's ready for something new, but not just yet. That should have set off the alarms and whistles but I ignored it. After a while he mentions he definitely needs shoulder pads, too. Ok, here are the shoulder pads.... While in front of the SPs he mentions that you know that internet deal where you get the SGs, SPs, and EPs and you get a really great price won't help him now since he just bought elbow pads. Oh, now I feel your pain! Needless, to say, I went back to getting some other important things done since I knew where he stood as far purchasing from the pro shop. I don't think he even realized how badly he blew it when he used the words "internet deal." Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me............

Hockey Dad is in the shop last night while his son tries out for a local youth team. He is checking out shin pads so I help him with the different styles, differences, pros and cons, etc. He tell me his pads are ancient and he's ready for something new, but not just yet. That should have set off the alarms and whistles but I ignored it. After a while he mentions he definitely needs shoulder pads, too. Ok, here are the shoulder pads.... While in front of the SPs he mentions that you know that internet deal where you get the SGs, SPs, and EPs and you get a really great price won't help him now since he just bought elbow pads. Oh, now I feel your pain! Needless, to say, I went back to getting some other important things done since I knew where he stood as far purchasing from the pro shop. I don't think he even realized how badly he blew it when he used the words "internet deal." Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me............

Sounds to me like he was simply lamenting the fact that he could no longer get the package deal online and was dropping a line to see if you would offer any discount for a shoulders/shins combo sale.

Yeah, maybe but once I do that and he is out in the hallway bragging about the combo deal he got from me to the other hockey dads, then all hell breaks loose and I'm screwed. That is a great point you make. I never thought of it.