Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

This hits a new all-time low. Easton has a skate display that features an S15 and another brand skate hanging for weight. We have the display with our skates. We also have a S15 skate on display in the Easton skate section. This past Friday the shop was so busy that someone came in, grabbed the two different size S15 skates, walked around the store, and pulled out the laces to steal them. They left the skates over by the gloves with the laces gone. A new all-time low.

Working at a LHS is awesome. Especially when your boss goes out randomly, and your working during a slow hour, and you can just goof off in the back room. For example, fitting a 6'3" co-worker in an SMI bag. Good times.

Sorry to hear about the skates and laces DS50. Any clue how old they were? I'm going to assume late teens. Because that's the right answer.

Working at a LHS is awesome. Especially when your boss goes out randomly, and your working during a slow hour, and you can just goof off in the back room. For example, fitting a 6'3" co-worker in an SMI bag. Good times.

Sorry to hear about the skates and laces DS50. Any clue how old they were? I'm going to assume late teens. Because that's the right answer.

hey hey...not all of us are delinquints

(you're probab;y right though :( )

hey hey...not all of us are delinquints

(you're probab;y right though :( )

Agreed. Im a teen myself. Such a pity. :(

my pair of wet skates :D! I do remember there were guys who were late for like a semi final game and they were begging the sharpener to sharpen them quickly Ngo_35

At our shop, we have a "no skates on glass" sign at least in 5 different spots. I'll give them their skates back if they're standing at the counter. If not, I'll put them on the ground beneath the till. As soon as they see that their skates are done, and this happens about 90% of the time, they will pick them up, set them on the glass, and proceed to pay. Now, I've gotten used to it, and typically keep my mouth shut, but if the jackass picks up his skates, holds it up to the light, and does the little fingernail test to prove that he knows something, I'll tell him to take his skates off the glass and point out the 5 signs we have stating just that. And the best one, is some people will actually take their skates, and run them along the glass, as if to find out that they're blades are sharp.

I should just start taking rivets out and see if they notice.

At our shop, we have a "no skates on glass" sign at least in 5 different spots. I'll give them their skates back if they're standing at the counter. If not, I'll put them on the ground beneath the till. As soon as they see that their skates are done, and this happens about 90% of the time, they will pick them up, set them on the glass, and proceed to pay. Now, I've gotten used to it, and typically keep my mouth shut, but if the jackass picks up his skates, holds it up to the light, and does the little fingernail test to prove that he knows something, I'll tell him to take his skates off the glass and point out the 5 signs we have stating just that. And the best one, is some people will actually take their skates, and run them along the glass, as if to find out that they're blades are sharp.

I should just start taking rivets out and see if they notice.

Yes...gotta love that one. I had that problem at Novi.

At m y new location, we have a rack. And every day, I'm amazed to see how people struggle to rack their skates.

I know this thread is huge and I'm being lazy, but have I posted the story on how the customer put his skates on our pizza?

1)I just fucking love expert non-sharpeners. Come in plop your skates and proceed to tell me how to do my job although you just dont know shit. Talk out of your ass since you know what cut you like and then ask "did you dress it properly?

Oh for fuck sakes, I dont bust my ass for a good reputation for nothing. And I got another one of these the other day, *Looks dead at me* "Do you do a good job?

Well fuck you buddy I know a good job but should I waste it on you since you cant skate jackass? I should have replied "Can you skate circles around your opponents?" but being the nice guy I am I just said, "I'll eliminate your excuse of a bad sharpening, everything else is your game"

2) Smart balls are for display until you buy it stupid kids. Dont take it out of my box and play with it. Next kid who takes a ball out to mark it up, im gonna whip one in their head while my other hand is doing a final pass on a skate! (match that JR! and yes it must hit square on the forehead)

3) Wet skates again. Dont EVER give your sharpener wet skates. His job is too sharpen your skates not do the work that your too lazy to do. Hey ass hat it takes 2 seconds of your time.

4)The late comer. Holy hell if your late for your game do you expect me to give you a hug and put your skates ahead of others? Every shift there's one of these guys whom is a superstar of course and yes we only open the store for you! My ASS! Put your skates in line bitch get changed come back and wait! It's better to be 1 minute late than on time with no edge.

We'll thats it for now until next time I have to urge to tell stories.

Are we supposed to be impressed or intimidated by the cursing?

It was similar to Krev's story about the counter. At Novi we have a glass counter, and on the floor we have notched skate racks. Time after time, they would put skates on the glass counter (that we've had to replace twice)

It's the only counter we have in the store, and that means the only place where we could eat. We were working a late shift and finally got some food and for those who sharpen, know that the minute you get something to eat, you'll get a sharpening. Must be Murphy's Law or something.

Anyway, some idiot comes in, right to the counter and plops his skate RIGHT ON THE PIZZA.

I looked right at him and said, "You have got to be fucking kidding me."

He was like "Oh, I'm sorry." Picks it up, doesn't offer to reimburse.

I walk out of the store and let the other employee sharpen them.

This was pre-Shank. I would've busted it out for sure.

This has to be the greatest thread on here(at least from a hockey store/pro shop employee standpoint). It just goes to show that asshole people are inescapable. Strangers who ask for deals because they're buying one low budget one piece, parents that are oblivious to what they're kids are destroying, the guy who has to use the "lingo" to ask to sharpen his skates. "Hey chief, can I get a groove put on these things?" Sure buddy. The thing that will automatically label you as a herb is bringing out the dime or quarter to check the sharpening. That has to be the thing that bothers me most. Oh, and customers that rip open socks, neckguards, wristguards, ect to see if it fits. Neckguards only come in two sizes generally, we'll tell you what size you need.

One more thing that my boss has obviously learned. Any object in the store that can be shot by a stick needs to be kept behind the counter(ie smartballs)

Oh, and customers that rip open socks, neckguards, wristguards, ect to see if it fits. Neckguards only come in two sizes generally, we'll tell you what size you need.

Last week someone did that with a CCM neckguard. Ripped the bag and tried to return it. I took it back and before he left, said, "Ziploc a wonderful invention." And he saw it and laughed. I knew the guy so all was good.

i hate it when:

1. i just arranged the glove wall and people mix and match 2 different gloves and stick it where they shouldn't

2. ask if they can get a discount i.e "oh yah buddy, and the hookups too"

WTF GUY?

3. when kids start pulling on the store dog's tail and chase him to the back and try to go upstairs

4. when people ask if theres a composite stick for under $100 CDN. I point out Vapor V, VI, Velocity, Powetech and they say they want something better. Not for under $100 you aint.

5. people who come in and ask if we sell pool sticks and cases. Wtf? THE HOCKEY SHOP SOURCE FOR SPORTS.

are you one of the 3 workers who just stood there and complained about some guy making the team cause he was "tough" a couple weeks ago when I decided to buy a whole new set of gear but couldnt get any help for the life of me? reminded me why driving out to surrey is a waste of time, thanks.

If thats not you, I would think about all that wasted hourly wage in comparision to the 1100 I dropped at cyclone taylors 1 hour later.

Ive read most of this thread and alot of this stuff is pure gold... but dont throw stones in a glass house cause it goes both ways. I dont buy online cause I like to touch it first and more specifically I want to hear YOUR opinions of the gear.

Omaha, NE just lost its last hockey shop....the only thing left is a big-box sports store with a few sticks and skates....we're stuck with on-line only for now....unless yall know someone who wants to open a doomed venture in a tepid hockey town.

There is a saying in the sharpening room in our shop: Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part. Our shop is open 7 days a week, 70 hours. If you cannot find the time to get your skates done, except for 10 minutes before the face-off, ....................BTW, all those skates on the floor to be sharpened, those guys have games too.

I tell customers over the phone when they ask how long it will take to get their skates sharpened, Hey we're like Dunkin Donuts, sometimes there is a line, sometimes there isn't.

There is a saying in the sharpening room in our shop: Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part. Our shop is open 7 days a week, 70 hours. If you cannot find the time to get your skates done, except for 10 minutes before the face-off, ....................BTW, all those skates on the floor to be sharpened, those guys have games too.

I've found the louder you say that...the less likely it is to be accepted *L*

I have a saying I like...I think it applies for sharpeners too:

Good

Fast

Cheap

...pick 2.

1)I just fucking love expert non-sharpeners. Come in plop your skates and proceed to tell me how to do my job although you just dont know shit. Talk out of your ass since you know what cut you like and then ask "did you dress it properly?

Oh for fuck sakes, I dont bust my ass for a good reputation for nothing. And I got another one of these the other day, *Looks dead at me* "Do you do a good job?

Well fuck you buddy I know a good job but should I waste it on you since you cant skate jackass? I should have replied "Can you skate circles around your opponents?" but being the nice guy I am I just said, "I'll eliminate your excuse of a bad sharpening, everything else is your game"

2) Smart balls are for display until you buy it stupid kids. Dont take it out of my box and play with it. Next kid who takes a ball out to mark it up, im gonna whip one in their head while my other hand is doing a final pass on a skate! (match that JR! and yes it must hit square on the forehead)

3) Wet skates again. Dont EVER give your sharpener wet skates. His job is too sharpen your skates not do the work that your too lazy to do. Hey ass hat it takes 2 seconds of your time.

4)The late comer. Holy hell if your late for your game do you expect me to give you a hug and put your skates ahead of others? Every shift there's one of these guys whom is a superstar of course and yes we only open the store for you! My ASS! Put your skates in line bitch get changed come back and wait! It's better to be 1 minute late than on time with no edge.

We'll thats it for now until next time I have to urge to tell stories.

Are we supposed to be impressed or intimidated by the cursing?

Of course not, why would you feel that way? It's not directed at you or anyone on this board unless the customers use this board.

Oh, and customers that rip open socks, neckguards, wristguards, ect to see if it fits. Neckguards only come in two sizes generally, we'll tell you what size you need.

Last week someone did that with a CCM neckguard. Ripped the bag and tried to return it. I took it back and before he left, said, "Ziploc a wonderful invention." And he saw it and laughed. I knew the guy so all was good.

Thank god that never happened to me. Most guys usually ask first before busting open product. But hey it's damn annoying when things are open and returned, how are we supposed to sell it?

Edited by Ngo_35