Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

On the other hand, this happened to me at a LHS in British Columbia recently I took both mine and my son's skates in for sharpenings. They have cards/claim tickets you fill out indicating your name, work you want done, and when you'd like get them back. For sharpenings, there are two check boxes indicating how deep you want them cut, one saying "Reg" and the other saying "Deep". Below those boxes is a line where you can specify a specific hollow. I wanted both of our skates done with 5/8" hollows and I accidentally checked "Reg" then wrote 5/8" on the line below. I then realized my error and scribbled out my checkmark in the "Reg" box. I filled out the second tag correctly and left our skates on the counter while I looked around the store for other items I might wish to buy while I was there.

While walking around, I was in the area near the sharpener and overheard one of the employees telling a co-worker about "some idiot that wants a "regular 5/8" hollow". In their store I'm pretty sure their "regular" hollow is 3/8". Luckily the co-worker saw both tags and said to do them both 5/8". I stayed in the area pretending to look at new visors and when he finished, he again remarked about "the regular 5/8ths are done". Needless to say I wasn't especially cool with being the butt of this guy's humor. On the way back to the border, I decided I don't think I'm going to spend any more money there for at least a while. This spring I'm going to be in the market for a new pair of skates and was originally going to return to this particular shop because I've gone there for years. However I've also spent dough at a LHS in Vancouver and last spring bought my boys each new skates there. The Vancouver store took real good care of us and I felt I was treated well. So even though the Vancouver LHS will take longer to get to, I think I'm going to spend my money there instead of another store in the Lower Mainland that I'm not going to mention by name.

Edited by moose77

On the other hand, this happened to me at a LHS in British Columbia recently I took both mine and my son's skates in for sharpenings. They have cards/claim tickets you fill out indicating your name, work you want done, and when you'd like get them back. For sharpenings, there are two check boxes indicating how deep you want them cut, one saying "Reg" and the other saying "Deep". Below those boxes is a line where you can specify a specific hollow. I wanted both of our skates done with 5/8" hollows and I accidentally checked "Reg" then wrote 5/8" on the line below. I then realized my error and scribbled out my checkmark in the "Reg" box. I filled out the second tag correctly and left our skates on the counter while I looked around the store for other items I might wish to buy while I was there.

While walking around, I was in the area near the sharpener and overheard one of the employees telling a co-worker about "some idiot that wants a "regular 5/8" hollow". In their store I'm pretty sure their "regular" hollow is 3/8". Luckily the co-worker saw both tags and said to do them both 5/8". I stayed in the area pretending to look at new visors and when he finished, he again remarked about "the regular 5/8ths are done". Needless to say I wasn't especially cool with being the butt of this guy's humor. On the way back to the border, I decided I don't think I'm going to spend any more money there for at least a while. This spring I'm going to be in the market for a new pair of skates and was originally going to return to this particular shop because I've gone there for years. However I've also spent dough at a LHS in Vancouver and last spring bought my boys each new skates there. The Vancouver store took real good care of us and I felt I was treated well. So even though the Vancouver LHS will take longer to get to, I think I'm going to spend my money there instead of another store in the Lower Mainland that I'm not going to mention by name.

I wouldn't have appreciated that either. Also I don't know how you guys can even skate on 5/8"!!!

Before anyone comments that I noted she had "checked" her edges in front of me, I would like to point out that I have no problem at anyone checking thier edges in front of me, provided they know what they are looking for.

Whether or not she knows what she is looking at, as a paying customer it is her prerogative to check out what she's paying for. Maybe she's trying to learn a little by trying to look at the things that other people look at.

I know next to nothing about engines, but when I go to buy a car, you don't think I'm cracking open the hood and looking things over ? I'm a crappy golfer, but I'm still going to look that shiny new driver in the store over as if I was a scratch golfer.

And while you may not have anything against Asians, the words you chose suggested otherwise (forget that you even thought her ethnicity to be relevant). Try replacing her words with an Ebonics equivalent, throw in a "You guessed it, she's black", and see how that reads.

Edited by NuggyBuggy

Instead of looking at her like she crapped her pants you could have explained to her what she should be looking for .....

+1

Since you do know what they should look for, why dont you enlighten your customers on it? That way they will know what to expect from you and other professionals. If you take the time to help customers understand(i.e. Customer Service) I guarantee it will drive more business for you in the long run.

I wouldn't have appreciated that either. Also I don't know how you guys can even skate on 5/8"!!!

I'll be honest, the first couple of times on 5/8", I was positive my skates were going to slide sideways out from under me. The guy at the shop that profiled my skates and recommended that hollow told me it would take two or three times on the ice to get used to it. He was spot on and that depth soon felt "right" for me. The idea is you're skating more "on top of" the ice as opposed to digging in as much. As an official, it really helps me conserve energy and when you skate several games in the same day you need to save all the energy you can.

BTW, your avatar shows one of the pairs of skates I'm going to be looking at this spring. Those, the One75s, and some in the Graf Ultra G series.

Instead of looking at her like she crapped her pants you could have explained to her what she should be looking for .....

+1

Since you do know what they should look for, why dont you enlighten your customers on it? That way they will know what to expect from you and other professionals. If you take the time to help customers understand(i.e. Customer Service) I guarantee it will drive more business for you in the long run.

Actually, I DID try to explain to her, (and other customers who wish to know) how to check their skates after a sharpening, (I.E. checking level, making sure the hollow is near what they asked for, making sure the hollow gets both edges, checking to see there isn't one strong and one weak edge, etc...) but it is very difficult to communicate to someone that really doesn't speak your language.

I understand that in my first post I made it seem like I blew the lady off, but that wasn't the case.

I'll be honest, the first couple of times on 5/8", I was positive my skates were going to slide sideways out from under me. The guy at the shop that profiled my skates and recommended that hollow told me it would take two or three times on the ice to get used to it. He was spot on and that depth soon felt "right" for me. The idea is you're skating more "on top of" the ice as opposed to digging in as much. As an official, it really helps me conserve energy and when you skate several games in the same day you need to save all the energy you can.

BTW, your avatar shows one of the pairs of skates I'm going to be looking at this spring. Those, the One75s, and some in the Graf Ultra G series.

I can't wait till the one95's come out. Im sure a lot of people are in the same boat as me.

Im gonna try 1/2" hollow from 7/16". I used to use 3/8" all my life than I started experimenting with it a bit. I have a found a big difference in how I stop, its a lot smoother than with the 3/8" I don't chop or chatter as much when I try and stop quickly.

Edited by ahearn10

+1

I did that today - I sharpened a skate and the guy checked it by eye. I told him that we already check for that and I showed him how we do it. He thanked me and off he went.

thats true. i just have people that tell me how to do my job sometimes that don't know what there talking about.

I always run my fingers along the blade unless I've been handed the skates fresh off the stone. It's just a check to make sure that when the guy sharpening my skates set em down they didn't get knicked or anything major. No, I'm not going to hold them up to the light or pull out a depth gauge to measure the hollow, but at least if somehow the steel got knicked on their way too my hands I can at least show them right there and avoid the scenario of having to bring them back with a knick and trying to explain that I was handed them that way.

Edited by ean

WhiskeyTango19 sounds like a real

*pic*

HAHAHA! Nice job on that. Even I got a laugh out of that. B)

Glad you found it humourous. I'm sure you're a good guy, I have trust in p.diddy aka darkstar, but you were definitely coming off as a douche... Might want to work on that man. ;) Regardless, welcome to the forum.

Believe me, I can understand where you're coming from but sometimes you have to be careful how you word things, especially in written form.

at least if somehow the steel got knicked on their way too my hands I can at least show them right there and avoid the scenario of having to bring them back with a knick and trying to explain that I was handed them that way.

I always bring them on with my skate guards. Regardless of the fact all the skates go on a carpet, I don't want to drop them on my way out the door.

I'm still having a hard time to get my LHS to call me. I know my cell is long distance, but I think I've had to call them to check up on things all but once instead of being called immediately or even the next day. "Oh, yeah, it's been here a few days, hadn't gotten around to calling yet."

Edited by Rustpot

at least if somehow the steel got knicked on their way too my hands I can at least show them right there and avoid the scenario of having to bring them back with a knick and trying to explain that I was handed them that way.

I always bring them on with my skate guards. Regardless of the fact all the skates go on a carpet, I don't want to drop them on my way out the door.

As do I, in fact, I hand them my skates WITH the soakers on so they get the idea. Though for some reason whenever I leave my skates to be sharpened and come back to pick them up, they leave my skates on the ground with the soakers placed inside the skates...Granted the floor has carpet, I'd still prefer they put the soakers back on...Oh well, what can you do.

mack, I think all of the LHS guys here would love to have you work in our shops on a busy Saturday in January when you could lend us your hockey knowledge, hockey experience, overwhelming charm and wit with the customers and then just the right amount of "mack sarcasm" to seal the deal with the "kids." We could turn this into a reality show on Bravo. mack, this is no put-down on you. Bring cyber mack into the LHS. As Keith Jackson would say, "Whoa, Nellie!"

I appreciate that but sadly in-person mack is just the same here. I'll do a comedy tour of LHS around the country and then get a documentary of it and release it.

mack, I think all of the LHS guys here would love to have you work in our shops on a busy Saturday in January when you could lend us your hockey knowledge, hockey experience, overwhelming charm and wit with the customers and then just the right amount of "mack sarcasm" to seal the deal with the "kids." We could turn this into a reality show on Bravo. mack, this is no put-down on you. Bring cyber mack into the LHS. As Keith Jackson would say, "Whoa, Nellie!"

I appreciate that but sadly in-person mack is just the same here. I'll do a comedy tour of LHS around the country and then get a documentary of it and release it.

I know a few guys who might be willing to video that.

As do I, in fact, I hand them my skates WITH the soakers on so they get the idea. Though for some reason whenever I leave my skates to be sharpened and come back to pick them up, they leave my skates on the ground with the soakers placed inside the skates...Granted the floor has carpet, I'd still prefer they put the soakers back on...Oh well, what can you do.

We ask customers to hold onto their soakers. This way we cannot lose them. When things get hectic in the service room with 45 minute back-ups (or more)on sharpenings on week-ends, it is too easy to misplace soakers. Your shop is probably stuffing them in the boots so they don't come off and never get matched up to your skates.

WhiskeyTango19 sounds like a real

*pic*

HAHAHA! Nice job on that. Even I got a laugh out of that. B)

Glad you found it humourous. I'm sure you're a good guy, I have trust in p.diddy aka darkstar, but you were definitely coming off as a douche... Might want to work on that man. ;) Regardless, welcome to the forum.

Believe me, I can understand where you're coming from but sometimes you have to be careful how you word things, especially in written form.

Yeah, I realize I do have a tendency to come off that way. I've been told I'm hard to read, that my humor is just a bit too dry. Something else to add to the list of things I need to work on. I will prioritize it to #2 on the list, directly behind dumping the bodies of the dead hookers in my trunk.

We ask customers to hold onto their soakers. This way we cannot lose them. When things get hectic in the service room with 45 minute back-ups (or more)on sharpenings on week-ends, it is too easy to misplace soakers. Your shop is probably stuffing them in the boots so they don't come off and never get matched up to your skates.

gotta say that I have never had this concern.. with all the damage I do to my skate blades playing I have never had concern about how they were put down on a carpeted table.. seems anal tbh

Here's another scenario that really gets my goat. (Abridged version)

Customer: I'd like to buy a new pair of skates.

Self: Certainly, what price ranger were you looking to stay in?

Customer: It doesn't matter. What do you have?

Self: How about these NBH Vapor XXV's? They are $300.

Customer: No, that's way too much!

Self: :angry: (to self: That's why I asked you your price range in the first place!!!!) to customer: Certainly. Try these NBH Vapor IX or CCM 92's. They should be in your price range.

Here's another scenario that really gets my goat. (Abridged version)

Customer: I'd like to buy a new pair of skates.

Self: Certainly, what price ranger were you looking to stay in?

Customer: It doesn't matter. What do you have?

Self: How about these NBH Vapor XXV's? They are $300.

Customer: No, that's way too much!

Self: :angry: (to self: That's why I asked you your price range in the first place!!!!) to customer: Certainly. Try these NBH Vapor IX or CCM 92's. They should be in your price range.

LOL.

I had a guy come in last summer, literally RAN into the store.

Customer: I need new equipment. I want to play goalie, I'm playing in a tournament. Money is no object.

Me: Ok, well these are the leg pads we have.

Customer: THAT'S HOW MUCH LEG PADS COST?!?!?!

Me: It's a pretty pricey piece of equipment.

Customer: Are there any for, like, $50?

Me: Sorry, there might be, but none that we carry.

Customer: DO you think I need them?

Me: If you are going to play goalie, in a tournament, I would say goalie pads are a necessity.

Customer: Ok, I have to think about this.

Me: (Under my breath as I walk away) Apparently money was a HUGE object.

LOL.

I had a guy come in last summer, literally RAN into the store.

Customer: I need new equipment. I want to play goalie, I'm playing in a tournament. Money is no object.

Me: Ok, well these are the leg pads we have.

Customer: THAT'S HOW MUCH LEG PADS COST?!?!?!

Me: It's a pretty pricey piece of equipment.

Customer: Are there any for, like, $50?

Me: Sorry, there might be, but none that we carry.

Customer: DO you think I need them?

Me: If you are going to play goalie, in a tournament, I would say goalie pads are a necessity.

Customer: Ok, I have to think about this.

Me: (Under my breath as I walk away) Apparently money was a HUGE object.

p240537dt.jpg

:P

Here's a good one -

There is this one guy who comes into our stores and he's just a hard-ass to deal with. First time I met him he talked about how bad one of our stores was (non-hockey store) because he bought some $49 pond skates to PLAY TRAVEL HOCKEY IN that were ripping up his kids' ankles and were full of blood. I played the good guy and took back his bloodied skates and got him a good deal on some Fuel 85s. Now you'd think that he'd be happy? Noooooooo...

We started up our membership/loyalty plan again. You pay an amount every year and you get a percentage off for the duration of the membership.

At our big store (the one I run) we have a clearance section now - non-members get 30%, members get 50%. Anyway, a few wks back the guy in question was back there and he asked us how to become a member. We told him and he came up front and his buddy Chuck comes up and says "Yeah, you should sign up, it's a good deal."

Guy leaves store, comes back and says "Can I use Chuck's membership?"

We say no. Emphasis is on WE.

He leaves. Comes back 5 min later. We're standing in the exact same spot - me next to the sharpener, Scott next to the register. Mind you, we KNOW who this guy is, we know his last name. He brings his items up and says "I have a membership, last name Phillips."

Once again we tell him he cannot use Chuck's membership. He groans and saves 30%.

Fast forward to today -

I'm not in so this is what the boys relayed to me.

Scott's working again. Guy goes back there with his kids - then leaves the kids and walks out. Kids come up with a Nalgene waterbottle.

Kids: "Do you have to have your membership card when you have to buy something?"

Scott: "No, it's in the computer."

Kids: "We have a membership, last name Phillips."

Scott: "Ok, Phillips. Chuck is the only name on the account....what's your address?"

Kids: "Address?"

Scott:"Yes, I need your address to verify that it is you."

Kids: "We don't know the address."

Scott: "You don't know your OWN ADDRESS?"

Kids walk out.

They come back with a BlackBerry.

They read what's on the screen - yes, Phillips' address.

Scott: "I need further identification. I need your dad to come in here."

Kids: "We'll take the 30%."

hahaha that was a good one, I can't believe that guy!! How could he be so stupid?! You'd have to be an idiot to think that someone else could be so dumb as to fall for a trick like that hahaha

Edited by ahearn10

He's trying to bushwack the system on a $10 water bottle? And teaching his kids to steal? What a tool.

I'd be weary if my LHS had a membership thing like that, I might start buying too much stuff!

Question for the workers/owners out there-

I'm in need of new skates, my LHS only stocks a small selection. They have RBK, CCM, NBH, Easton and Graf skates. They do not, however, have a single skate in my size, only the right length but narrow or too narrow and short. The owner obviously won't just order skates that I may or may not want- is there any way to arrange things without paying for shipping on a bunch of skates? PM response please.