Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

BUt how is he going to prove to us it is real?

It comes with the certificate of authenticity, just like the autographed whalers puck. It was all official on reciept paper and everything. :D

Do you guys honestly believe that your stories are exclusive to hockey?

I've been involved with retail my entire life... "same sh*t, different day"!

I, personally, believe that EVERYONE should be required to spend a semester working for tips or comission as a requirement for graduation!

Let the whole world become a part of the B.S.

Perhaps , after that, this wouldn't be an issue anymore.

I'm with you speck. After working all week in the shop, when I go to a retail store the last thing I do is rush the clerks or give them a hard time. I can still never imagine asking somebody in a store for a discount. The price is the price. If you want to haggle, go to a flea market or an antique show.

After reading and contributing to this thread we have a code saying in the shop for ridiculous customers and situations: TCD-Things Customers Do.

I'd agree, you definitely come out of it with a different view of people and the world. I learned a LOT about people working on full commission, I've got plenty of friends that work in resturants... I always try to spend as little time as possible with a salesperson and let him know my honest intentions. If it's slow I might shoot the breeze with the guy for a few. If he's a nice guy and a customer is coming, I'll shake his hand and thank him.

Tips. Unless the service was horrible, no less than 15%, normally 20% or more depending on how long I was there and what I bought.

If you don't see it from the other side, you really dont have an idea. I've made plenty of comments about how to deal with "problem customers" and every person that has been in the position agrees... Seems like everyone that hasn't been on that side, doesn't agree. The truth is the customer isn't always right, in fact, many customers will take advantage of kindness. When you're a salesman and I mean a real salesman, not a shady used car guy(not all used car guys are bad); often you're the one that is going to have to defend against being worked over. And the entire time some of these guys will accuse you of being a snake and trying to screw them over. Sometimes, you just have to walk away.

Actually, it seems to have happened via craigslist to me. I have some of the stuff for sale locally that I have on here. It's priced a little higher as MSH gets the "best price" as it is a community not an opprotunity at a quick buck. The guy offers me $30 less, I match the MSH price which is like $15 off and tell him that that's the best I can do. He agrees. Then two days later he says he doesn't have that much, he only has what he originally offered... so he'll take them for that price. I explained the difference between what I'm asking and retail, told him that I cant do any better. I appologized and thanked him for his interest. I'd be willing to bet a small amount that he will buy them for what we originally agreed to. He was probably just seeing how much money he could get out of me. If I say ok to that new price, he has car trouble and only has X amount of money left... Keeps going until someone says a firm NO and even then he might give it another shot.

Edited by TBLfan

I can still never imagine asking somebody in a store for a discount. The price is the price. If you want to haggle, go to a flea market or an antique show.
Whenever I buy a non-consumable worth more than $50 at a store that has a salesperson I always ask "Is that your best price?"

Now, I don't break balls over it but it gives the salesperson an opportunity to knock the price down or simply say "Yeah, that's the best price I can give you."

Price negotiation doesn't have to be an uncomfortable thing as long as everybody treats the other parties with respect.

The simple fact of the matter is that prices for everything are constantly on the rise and, as a consumer, I'd be foolish to not try to maximize my spending power.

I can still never imagine asking somebody in a store for a discount. The price is the price. If you want to haggle, go to a flea market or an antique show.
Whenever I buy a non-consumable worth more than $50 at a store that has a salesperson I always ask "Is that your best price?"

Now, I don't break balls over it but it gives the salesperson an opportunity to knock the price down or simply say "Yeah, that's the best price I can give you."

Price negotiation doesn't have to be an uncomfortable thing as long as everybody treats the other parties with respect.

The simple fact of the matter is that prices for everything are constantly on the rise and, as a consumer, I'd be foolish to not try to maximize my spending power.

Honestly, that isn't offensive at all. Some places can adjust prices and they will if they can... BUT that should be the end of it, if he/she says no, accept it and give the "You always gotta try" line. It will normally get the crack of a smile because we're normally expecting the "come on now" line.

Actually, I'll come clean. There was one thing that I did do that was somewhat shady, it was kind of like a little "annoying me" tax. There was a specific warranty that was $15 per unit automatically, some units were really only $10 but we had to manually enter it. They told us to always tell the customer $15 and if they ask we could give them the $10. I gave the $10 to every customer that didnt ask or was polite about it... the only guys I didn't do that for were the ones that constantly(and I mean CONSTANTLY) asked for handouts.

Edited by TBLfan

+1 TBL

A little story ensues....

When I was training in Karate (Okinowan Goju-ru Katate Do to be exact), we went from Michigan to Pennsylvania for training (Gasshu-ku).

We had 2 religious women in our midst.

We went to a restaurant and got served by a (obviously) new waitress.

The "religious" girls refused to leave a tip!

I gave the waitress a couple pointers AND covered the idiots tips.

Long story short, it's harder than you think!

Try feeding yourself when you are cast into a job that makes no sence and requires direct payment from customers.

It's difficult as hell!

I understand the point about asking. In my shop, after I say no, I'm sorry, I wish I could but I don't own the shop, they watch all the transactions in accounting, etc. the reply I get is "Do you know how much money I spend here?" I often want to say well, not as much as that guy over there who never asks for a break but of course, I say nothing because the conversation is over.

I did have the guy ask for a discount on a pair of youth elbow pads that sell for $12!! Two weeks later I saw him pull up to drop off the 5 year old in his BMW.

Time to leave home and head in for another day at the shop. Another day, another adventure.

Just to point out I added the second paragraph of my previous post after D aka speck was typing a response. If you want to get on my case for it, do so but don't include him in the retort.

I understand the point about asking. In my shop, after I say no, I'm sorry, I wish I could but I don't own the shop, they watch all the transactions in accounting, etc. the reply I get is "Do you know how much money I spend here?" I often want to say well, not as much as that guy over there who never asks for a break but of course, I say nothing because the conversation is over.

I did have the guy ask for a discount on a pair of youth elbow pads that sell for $12!! Two weeks later I saw him pull up to drop off the 5 year old in his BMW.

Time to leave home and head in for another day at the shop. Another day, another adventure.

Most annoying line ever. My normal response was always the same; "Honestly, sir, that doesn't mean anything to me. I treat all my customers the same regardless of how much they spend." Normally that really pisses them off, this is when you can find out who these guys really are with: "Please look at it this way, you didnt always spend money here. Would you have come back if I didnt offer you the same courtesys and honesty as the customer that has bought more than you? This isn't a buisness about picking favorites, it's a buisness of offering the best advice and taking care of ALL of my customers to the best of my abilities." If they are still angry, let them leave. If they understand, you have a customer for life.

Edited by TBLfan

That draws my ire as well. Plenty of exceedingly wealthy people are disgustingly cheap. Maybe we should start a reality TV show documenting instances of it in order to properly embarrass them. This happens in every facet of life. I admit, I do get off a little bit by seeing these people fleeced, penny wise and pound foolish eh?

The LHS near me will match almost any internet price. With that said, I don't always ask them to. They're the only shop in the area and aren't even dedicated to hockey. I realize that if I went max cheapo on them, they might not bother with hockey stuff anymore. However, because of poor selection, I literally must order most of my gear online.

Edited by gxc999

My folks store was auto parts...

guy comes in for brake rotors and pads...

He wants CHEAP!!!

We only sold Wagner (not cheap)

his response... "It's just my son's car"

my response... "It's cheaper to buy a gun and kill him yourself, you want to give your son a 3000 pound truck, with no brakes... then I guess you're dumber than you look. Do you actually love or care about your children?"

He left, came back and bought the brake components from my step-dad, couldn't face me... I was 14 years old.

...at my LHS I always get a discount, I laughed when he appologized about not giving me a discount on my skates... THE SECOND DAY OUT! I knew that the shop owner would have his head if I got a discount, he freaking offered me water bottles, laces, tape anything within reach, haha.

^hahaha, it's funny how you sometimes HAVE to call them out on stuff like that and surprising on how many people will realize that you're right.

I've had similar run-ins:

Customer - "It's just for my kid."

Me - "You don't seem to like him very much, do you?"

Customer - *looks at me like I'm crazy*

Me - "Look, no BS. This is more expensive but it will last longer and it would work better for him. If I was looking to screw you over I'd be showing you this, this is not what your son needs, better quality still but overkill. Now this one over here that I showed you earlier is not much more than you were looking to spend and is made much better, it will last and do the job better. Trust me, I dont want to see you in here in two months because it's not working out."

Edited by TBLfan

As for hockey equipment.

I HAVE NEVER asked a LHS to price match online pricing.

I want my LHS to still be in business when I need new equipment.

If I start forcing them to LOSE MONEY where will they be when I need them?

I'm still in sales, I hear it all :lol:

Edited by D aka speck

I've had similar run-ins:

Customer - "It's just for my kid."

Me - "You don't seem to like him very much, do you?"

Customer - *looks at me like I'm crazy*

Me - "Look, no BS. This is more expensive but it will last longer and it would work better for him. If I was looking to screw you over I'd be showing you this, this is not what your son needs, better quality still but overkill. Now this one over here that I showed you earlier is not much more than you were looking to spend and is made much better, it will last and do the job better. Trust me, I dont want to see you in here in two months because it's not working out."

That was always my arguement with parents over helmets. They'd want to put their kid in the absolute lowest end helmet, which usually fit poorly. It was like pulling teeth to get them to spend the extra $15/$20 to upgrade into something that would fit and be more protective. I'd tell them that the things they should spend money on are helmets and skates. You need to protect their heads, its the most important part of their body.

It drove me crazy that these same parents had no problem dropping $160 on a composite stick, but wanted the cheapest stuff for everything else (skates included!).

Sickening, isn't it!?

At least I can tell you that Andy Hilbert got into the NHL on his own (NY Islanders).

His little sis' had no rules.

He grew up across the street from me, I'm leaving it at that.

But, when his sister rolled her new car (at age 16) she got to drive the Porshe to school.

Andy NEVER got those opportunities.

He's a self made man.

Edited by D aka speck

For many of the larger ticket things I buy, I will ask for a better price. I don't consider myself cheap - in fact, all my friends think I am pretty loose with my money - but I know that discounts are already priced into many, many items. With all due respect, I don't believe anybody who says it doesn't ever cross their mind to ask for a better price. Not even when you're buying a large appliance ? A car ? A house ? If you don't ask for something that's probably already priced in, you're just cheating yourself. Once when I bought skates, after they were heat molded the guy started throwing in socks and stuff into my bag without my asking for it.

I usually know what I want, and if I do, I don't need the salespeople to help me figure this out. Many times, they know less about the product than I do. They're there to ring up the sale for me and hand me my box. Sorry, but you're not getting a $400 *bonus* commission on that large screen TV just because I was too dumb or lazy or embarrassed to negotiate, and bought it from you without getting a price concession. I once saved a *lot* of money off MSRP by negotiating with a salesperson and his manager at a home show on a big TV. Nobody put a gun to their head, nobody forced them to discount the TV, and they both know full well that they walked away with a commission that could have just as easily gone to the guy in the next store. I'm sure that none of the parties lost a wink of sleep over it, in fact I am sure the guy and his manager were happy that they rang up another sale - otherwise, they wouldn't have done it.

Some stores having a sliding commission scale which rewards salespeople with bonus commissions for sales they make without offering discounts. In these stores, there will be salesguys who make their money by refusing to discount so that they can collect these bonuses. Then there will be salesguys who make their money by being quick to offer discounts, moving lots of volume, and taking lots and lots of smaller commissions. I have no problem opting to give my money to these guys.

As for rich people being cheap, many people are "rich" precisely because they keep track of *everywhere* their money goes, and refuses to let any of it slip away needlessly. They bring lunches and walk to work, wear less expensive clothing, buy things on sale or closeout, and ask for discounts.

That was always my arguement with parents over helmets. They'd want to put their kid in the absolute lowest end helmet, which usually fit poorly. It was like pulling teeth to get them to spend the extra $15/$20 to upgrade into something that would fit and be more protective. I'd tell them that the things they should spend money on are helmets and skates. You need to protect their heads, its the most important part of their body.

It drove me crazy that these same parents had no problem dropping $160 on a composite stick, but wanted the cheapest stuff for everything else (skates included!).

Great point to set the budget 'eh? The head and brain stem!

Great idea idiot parents!

Edited by D aka speck

We had 2 religious women in our midst.

We went to a restaurant and got served by a (obviously) new waitress.

The "religious" girls refused to leave a tip!

Reminds me of a story in the book "Nickel and Dimed":

“The worst, for some reason, are the Visible Christians — like the ten-person table, all jolly and sanctified after Sunday night service, who run me mercilessly and then leave me $1 on a $92 bill. Or the guy with the crucifixion T-shirt (someone to look up to) who complains that his baked potato is too hard and his iced tea too icy (I cheerfully fix both) and leaves no tip at all. As a general rule, people wearing crosses or WWJD? (“What Would Jesus Do?”) buttons look at us disapprovingly no matter what we do, as if they were confusing waitressing with Mary Magdalene’s original profession.”

It's a great book and at least a few parts of it are consistent with experiences I had serving in Uncle Sam (walton's) Army.

I've said it before about getting hook-ups in shops... be consistent, respectful and don't make a production out of it and you'll be getting lower-than-retail prices without even having to ask.

My folks store was auto parts...

guy comes in for brake rotors and pads...

He wants CHEAP!!!

We only sold Wagner (not cheap)

his response... "It's just my son's car"

my response... "It's cheaper to buy a gun and kill him yourself, you want to give your son a 3000 pound truck, with no brakes... then I guess you're dumber than you look. Do you actually love or care about your children?"

He left, came back and bought the brake components from my step-dad, couldn't face me... I was 14 years old.

That's some great customer service. I know you were only 14, but you couldn't of found a nicer way to get your point across?

That's some great customer service. I know you were only 14, but you couldn't of found a nicer way to get your point across?

the man came back and got the brakes... :unsure:

the man came back and got the brakes... :unsure:

Or did he? :unsure:

Even if he did buy them. I still wouldn't consider what he said as good customer service, and I'd question anyone who thinks it is.

Edited by Bungee Man