Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

I'm no pro, but I still don't know what ROH I like. I have a great place to sharpen skates and I always say alittle deeper than 1/2 and since they know me, they tell me every time and I never remember. I like dull skates anyway.

Well, which is it? Do you like deeper than 1/2", or dull skates? You are contradicting yourself.

Either he's contradicting himself, or he knows more about sharpening than 90% of guys out there:

Sharpness and ROH are two very different qualities. A deep cut and dull edges (and vice versa) are not mutually exclusive.

Fair enough - but I think it's pretty obvious that, by "dull," he meant "shallow."

I've had instances when customers, in a conversation about ROH, have asked me what kind of cut I prefer. When I say "5/8", but sometimes I'll bump it down to 1" or so during the summer when the ice is softer," they say "How do you play like that?". I just shrug and tell 'em "You can skate on just about anything as long as the edges are clean."

Guys, I know almost nothing about ROH or anything like that. I just go out and play and never worry about sharpening untill I start losing my edge on turns. All I know is where I used to get my skates sharpened. It was horrible. For like three to four skates I couldn't stop or anything. Now I get just a bit over 1/2 and wait a few months till I start losing my edges. I can't talk about Hollows or anything, but not to toot my own horn I'm pretty good.

I think a lot of ideas on where your hollow should be come with experience and education. As an example: I worked the national womens camp last month out in lake placid and did a lot of sharpening. The U18 team almost all asked for 3/8" (which myself and the other equipment manager would not do, we put them on a 1/2"), the U22 team was a mix of 1/2" and 5/8" and the O22 team almost all wanted 5/8". The influence of their respective equipment managers, trial and error, and learning why it is more beneficial to skate on a shallower hollow led the more established players to go to the 5/8" cut. I won't be suprised if a few of them even think about going a little shallower.

This then takes us slightly off-topic, but will a player's weight affect whether a hollow is too shallow or not? Would it be beneficial to put a 135 lb woman who is an excellent skater into something less than 5/8" or would they lose any "bite" they would have?

By less, do you mean shallower or deeper?

But yes, the player's weight would affect the bite, because heavier skaters would have more bite than a lighter person on the same hollow. Wean the skater towards the desired hollow in small increments, however give them enough time to trust their edges.

By less, do you mean shallower or deeper?

But yes, the player's weight would affect the bite, because heavier skaters would have more bite than a lighter person on the same hollow. Wean the skater towards the desired hollow in small increments, however give them enough time to trust their edges.

Yeah. With that in mind, I was wondering why you (Forbs) weren't allowing the U18s to get 3/8. Seems to me like that'd be ideal for many, if not most, players that light.

I think a lot of ideas on where your hollow should be come with experience and education. As an example: I worked the national womens camp last month out in lake placid and did a lot of sharpening. The U18 team almost all asked for 3/8" (which myself and the other equipment manager would not do, we put them on a 1/2"), the U22 team was a mix of 1/2" and 5/8" and the O22 team almost all wanted 5/8". The influence of their respective equipment managers, trial and error, and learning why it is more beneficial to skate on a shallower hollow led the more established players to go to the 5/8" cut. I won't be suprised if a few of them even think about going a little shallower.

This then takes us slightly off-topic, but will a player's weight affect whether a hollow is too shallow or not? Would it be beneficial to put a 135 lb woman who is an excellent skater into something less than 5/8" or would they lose any "bite" they would have?

Did you flat out refuse? Or did you suggest?

When my skate feel a bit dull, I aske the LHS guy, "Please sharpen my skates"...they ask me how I want them done, and I say "sharp, please".

Edited by eric42434224

If you can't answer that question then why would you refuse to sharpen their skates the way they want it?

I think a lot of ideas on where your hollow should

Depends on the ice conditions (as JR said) as much as it does her skating style/stride.

Flat out refuse. The ice there was slush and there was no reason to put skaters of that level in a 3/8". It was explained to them why. I had more than one player come up to me at the end of camp telling me they were nervous the first time to get their skates sharpened by me but said I did the best sharpenings they had ever had.

Once you get out of the shop you have a little more control over how a players skates are sharpened (within reason of course). You try to educate the player and work with them to find the hollow that works best for them. They almost always come around to see your side of things.

If you can't answer that question then why would you refuse to sharpen their skates the way they want it?

I meant it as a hypothetical question to start a discussion.

Question (perhaps a stupid one, but here goes):

Does the radius, ROH, rocker, depth, ect, etc, really amke that much of a difference.....in particular to a guy who has never thought about any of it?

I just hand the skates to the sharpener and thats it. I have always used the skate out of the box and never made changes.

Will looking into these things make any real discernable difference, or should I live by the maxin "if it aint broken, dont fix it" ?

Flat out refuse. The ice there was slush and there was no reason to put skaters of that level in a 3/8". It was explained to them why. I had more than one player come up to me at the end of camp telling me they were nervous the first time to get their skates sharpened by me but said I did the best sharpenings they had ever had.

Once you get out of the shop you have a little more control over how a players skates are sharpened (within reason of course). You try to educate the player and work with them to find the hollow that works best for them. They almost always come around to see your side of things.

I believe it - I hear Lake Placid's pretty soft.

And there is your answer on why elite/pros don't necessarily know what ROH they get. If they aren't technical about their equipment, they know that their EQM will get it right.

Start another thread. Your question doesn't belong in this thread.

Then neither does your response, which could have been done by PM.

This thread was discussing the exact issues I was inquiring about (sharpening depth, hollow, etc,) which in fact were themselves a tangent from the original thread topic.

So relax.

This thread was discussing the exact issues I was inquiring about (sharpening depth, hollow, etc,) which in fact were themselves a tangent from the original thread topic.

So relax.

There are numerous existing threads that already discuss what you were asking about, which is not the topic of this thread. This thread already got off on one unrelated tangent and, in my opinion, DS was trying to stop it from going a direction that has already been discussed repeatedly on these boards.

Edited by shooter27

So relax.

There are numerous existing threads that already discuss what you were asking about, which is not the topic of this thread. This thread already got off on one unrelated tangent and, in my opinion, DS was trying to stop it from going a direction that has already been discussed repeatedly on these boards.

Then he should have made the general statement, instead of focusing on me.

The owner of this board was involved in the tangent discussion, so it was fine.

Edited by eric42434224

So relax.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...tart=0&sa=N

So relax.

PM sent.

So relax.

PM sent.

Got it. Thanks.

Here's one that happened this afternoon.

Me: Hello sir, can I help you find anything today?

Guy: Yes, do you have any one-piece sticks in the Coffey curve?

Me: Yeah, we have the SWD RM7 OPS right here.

Guy: No, my blade is broken.

Me: Okay, standard or tapered?

Guy: Coffey.

Me: Alright, what shaft do you have?

Guy: The brown one.

Me: Sure, what brand is it?

Guy: I don't know.

Me: Warrior, Easton, TPS?

Guy: No, no, no. It's Sherwood. I got it 5 years ago. It will fit both standard and tapered blades.

Me: (Thinking, oh no) Okay, here's a standard composite Coffey blade. Have a nice day.

Guy: I actually have a broken one-piece instead of a shaft, how do I insert the blade?

Me: (Thinking, please help me get rid of this guy) Well, talk to the guy over there and he'll help you out.

You ever think he was a total newbie, or just someone who doesn't care or care to know about equipment and still wears his equipment from the 80's. Maybe if you would have calmly asked him some questions and found out what he was really talking about you could have schooled him on the correct way of fixing the problem. Plus c'mon it's still late september, you work in a hockey shop, you can't possibly have so many customers that you can't give this guy 10 -15 min. working at work makes the day go by faster.

It just seemed like you snapped at him in your mind becuase he doesn't live up to your knowledge of hockey equipment, thus you felt he's not deserving of any of your knowledge about equipment.

You ever think he was a total newbie, or just someone who doesn't care or care to know about equipment and still wears his equipment from the 80's. Maybe if you would have calmly asked him some questions and found out what he was really talking about you could have schooled him on the correct way of fixing the problem. Plus c'mon it's still late september, you work in a hockey shop, you can't possibly have so many customers that you can't give this guy 10 -15 min. working at work makes the day go by faster.

It just seemed like you snapped at him in your mind becuase he doesn't live up to your knowledge of hockey equipment, thus you felt he's not deserving of any of your knowledge about equipment.

It's not as if I didn't want to help him, I felt that he didn't give me anything to work with. I didn't include the section about me trying to explain that a shaft can't find both standard and tapered blades properly. However, it was obvious that he was not willing to listen to me. This guy also gave me the impression that he knew more about the situation than me. Also, the store was extremely busy and I decided that my time could be better spent helping another customer.