Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

As a sharpener, especially hockey skates. We have put ultra smelly skates in plastic bags, tied up the bag, and taken them out of the service room, down the hall to the stick room.

"You put your foot in that?"

Ugh, I worked on a pair of skates today that had to have been on their last leg about 4 yrs ago. Four of the rivets in one skate were missing and needed to be replaced. I spent at least an hour working on these things, most of it just trying to figure out how I was going to get all the rust out so I could feed a new rivet into the hole. One hole was giving me problems and as I started to scrape away the rust I saw tongs... I couldn't believe it.. There was about 1/4 of the rivet left in there that had snapped/rotted. These are the nastiest skates I've ever worked on and this is why you need to air your skates out after use! Bleh!

The next time I see his brother I am begging him to get his lil bro a new pair of skates for x-mas.

3010720657_4073409a46_m.jpg

As a sharpener, especially hockey skates. We have put ultra smelly skates in plastic bags, tied up the bag, and taken them out of the service room, down the hall to the stick room.

Ugh, I worked on a pair of skates today that had to have been on their last leg about 4 yrs ago. Four of the rivets in one skate were missing and needed to be replaced. I spent at least an hour working on these things, most of it just trying to figure out how I was going to get all the rust out so I could feed a new rivet into the hole. One hole was giving me problems and as I started to scrape away the rust I saw tongs... I couldn't believe it.. There was about 1/4 of the rivet left in there that had snapped/rotted. These are the nastiest skates I've ever worked on and this is why you need to air your skates out after use! Bleh!

The next time I see his brother I am begging him to get his lil bro a new pair of skates for x-mas.

3010720657_4073409a46_m.jpg

I'll quote Ms. Palin on this one...drill baby drill...

Just take the 5/32" bit to it and it should clear out the excess.

These are the nastiest skates I've ever worked on and this is why you need to air your skates out after use! Bleh!

if those are the nastiest skates you've ever worked on I envy you.

I mean, really, they look dry. LOL...if you ain't breaking out the latex gloves, it's not nasty.

I've had skates that have made me dry heave and almost vomit. I put them down and stared at them like it was a demon that needed to be destroyed before going back to the task at hand.

Allow me to go on a bit of a rant here...

People that don't understand the concept of wait times when it comes to skate sharpenings drive me absolutely crazy. I mean, buddy, if you bring in two pairs of skates as I'm working on another pair, don't roll your eyes at me when I tell you that you'll have to wait about 15-20 minutes.

People that don't understand that skate sharpenings work more or less on first-come, first-serve basis...

"Could you squeeze these in quickly for me, my son has to be on the ice in half an hour?"

Why the fuck should I give you preferential treatment? There's other folks in the store waiting for their skates, why the heck should I make them wait even longer? Should've gotten to the store sooner, jackass.

People that stare at me while I'm sharpening their skates also drive me fuckin' bananas. Kids, I can understand, as they think it's cool to see sparks fly. But parents? Come on. Walk around, do something. Don't just stand there with your arms crossed, glaring at me, judging my every move.

I mean, really, they look dry. LOL...if you ain't breaking out the latex gloves, it's not nasty.

lol I worked on them after he got off the ice.. when I pressed the rivet down there were reddish bubbles (wet rust) coming out the side of the holder/boot and when I took the boot off the star press fixture when I was done it was caked in rust dust.

Vakar- I'm sure there are worse skates out there and I'll be happy if I never find them. = )

People that don't understand that skate sharpenings work more or less on first-come, first-serve basis...

"Could you squeeze these in quickly for me, my son has to be on the ice in half an hour?"

Why the fuck should I give you preferential treatment? There's other folks in the store waiting for their skates, why the heck should I make them wait even longer? Should've gotten to the store sooner, jackass.

I had a guy last week that was asking me if there was anything I could do to make the his sharpening happen faster and was reaching into his packet for some cash to bump his skates up to th front of the line. I stopped him, my wallet hates me, but I stopped him and told him I couldn't do it. I told him he would be pretty pissed if he was late for his game because I took a few bucks from a guy who was fourth in line.

Then there's the perpetual "9:45 guy" (we stop sharpening or stop taking skates :15 before close) who tells us "You guys say the same thing every week!" Well then, you should be well prepared for next week then shouldn't you?

A few weeks ago, I had some jackass pissed off at me because he had to wait 45 minutes for his skates. He didn't finish the sentence, but he started to say "Well, fuck, how long does it take to..."

I kept my cool, and simply said "sorry bud, there's nothing I can do" but man did I feel like teeing off on him... :lol:

Allow me to go on a bit of a rant here...

People that don't understand the concept of wait times when it comes to skate sharpenings drive me absolutely crazy. I mean, buddy, if you bring in two pairs of skates as I'm working on another pair, don't roll your eyes at me when I tell you that you'll have to wait about 15-20 minutes.

People that stare at me while I'm sharpening their skates also drive me fuckin' bananas. Kids, I can understand, as they think it's cool to see sparks fly. But parents? Come on. Walk around, do something. Don't just stand there with your arms crossed, glaring at me, judging my every move.

I swear I could have written this exact post two weeks ago. Vakar has been to my building and pro shop when its busy. We have 4 rinks under 1 roof. That means every 90 minutes or so, 8 new teams(15 skaters/team) roll into the rink. Doing the math, that's 120 players. If only 10% need their skates sharpened, that's 12 pair right there. I want to get one of those clocks that we could set up the hands up to say "if you drop your skates off now, they will be ready at ..."

I got railed on two weeks ago by a travel dad at 12 noon on Sunday when I said the wait was 40 minutes for sharpening. "You're never helpful. Can't you move my skates up." I said sorry. He went out into the lobby with a scowl. After a few minutes I went out to say Look I am sorry if I offended you but there are skates ahead of you. He wasn't buying it so I had to say how would you like it if I let somebody jump ahead of you in line? Would that be fair? He still didn't care and I moved on.

The other day: A guy I know comes in for a sharpening. "How long?" "About 20 minutes." "10 minutes." "20 minutes." "10 minutes." "No, 20 minutes." In the end it took 25 minutes because he had rolled over his edges from stoning his blades so much. The next time I'll offer the 10 minute sharpening and leave it at that.

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part."

Seriously I never worked at a shop but, I don't understand how people don't understand wait times. However, 40 min. is crazy. How does one prepare for 40 min. Thats a pretty long wait. 15- 20 min. is understandable but 40 min. is crazy long.

Well, of course in his rink its 4 sheets under one roof. An out of towner might be suprised but any of the home rink boys should be well versed in the lengthy wait times after seeing the volume of people in and out of there after a 2-3 weeks.

Seriously I never worked at a shop but, I don't understand how people don't understand wait times. However, 40 min. is crazy. How does one prepare for 40 min. Thats a pretty long wait. 15- 20 min. is understandable but 40 min. is crazy long.

One machine = long wait times on Saturdays. <_<

I've seen that at the Super Rink, but luckly they have the games and practiced timed out so they aren't all starting at the same time.

There are 8 rinks there and it seems to get busy before the mens league games start.

I just expect the places to be busy, so if I get there and am in and out in 10 minutes, it's a good deal.

I flat out don't get the insistence on rushed sharpenings. Hell, I *want* the guy making sure everything's squared away and taking his time between passes.

I've seen that at the Super Rink, but luckly they have the games and practiced timed out so they aren't all starting at the same time.

There are 8 rinks there and it seems to get busy before the mens league games start.

I just expect the places to be busy, so if I get there and am in and out in 10 minutes, it's a good deal.

Off topic, but i have a tournament at the Super Rink in 3 weeks :)

I flat out don't get the insistence on rushed sharpenings. Hell, I *want* the guy making sure everything's squared away and taking his time between passes.

One thing that usually gets them is "I can do this sharpening super quick or I can do it right. Which would you prefer?"

"Oh, wait a minute. We just sold two pair of hockey skates to customers who have been in the shop getting fitted for about 45 minutes. The wait is now an hour."

Hey...I see I have a warning 20%....????? what'd I do????? nevermind...saw it when I clicked....selling in main forum....sorry!!!!!!!!

I got mine in July 2007. Still there. :blink:

"Oh, wait a minute. We just sold two pair of hockey skates to customers who have been in the shop getting fitted for about 45 minutes. The wait is now an hour."

YEP! Sometimes its not just about standing behind the machine. We got other shit to do as well you know. Especially flexing my muscles while I help a Milf cut her freshly purchased stick. "Not a problem mam, you have a nice day now" (check her ass on the way out) haha

One thing that usually gets them is "I can do this sharpening super quick or I can do it right. Which would you prefer?"

I used to have a little sign on my office door that said

Good

Fast

Cheap

...Pick TWO!

You havent been to one of our stores used to have a 3 hour wait at one of them!

Honestly, I love going to the store flexing the sticks getting a feel for it and then putting it back exactly where it was. I am that guy and I love it. I also try on skates to see if something feels good on my foot I might buy it or not and I could care less if the store salesman has to walk to the back to put it away. Who cares if you annoy the staff, you are the customer and the staff should treat you as such. I obviously do not work at a hockey retail store but if I was an owner my staff would be a commissioned staff. Who ever sells the most, makes the most money. Then we would see what would be annoying. I give my business to the store that wants my business and is helpful, friendly and provides good service.

And the troll casts his lure into the thread... any takers?