Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

K9 - I am not sure, I don't remember. It was quite some time ago. The shims were a reddish colour plastic that he glue on the bottom of the skate on the inside underneath the insole, plus I think they put shims between the boot and the holder too. Did it help? I don't think it helped that much compared to what I got done at Maximum Edge after the fact. That being said, I'd love to find out what a true pair of custom skates would feel like. Mind you, I don't have any problems with my current set-up (Vapor XXIX - SMU for Perani's, or so I was told).

Heard this today for the first time ever; "Do I get the military discount?" Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything these people do but I had never heard that one ever.

I know a guy that asks for a military discount on everything in every store. He's in the guard and has never left the country, but that doesn't stop him from dropping the "risking my life for you" line any time he gets denied.

The National Guard or the Coast Guard? Because my brother just joined the Coast Guard, and he plans on going to A-School to fly helicopters, which he will then fly in all manner of ridiculous weather and conditions to save people who were too dumb to watch the weather channel.

Heard this today for the first time ever; "Do I get the military discount?" Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything these people do but I had never heard that one ever.

I know a guy that asks for a military discount on everything in every store. He's in the guard and has never left the country, but that doesn't stop him from dropping the "risking my life for you" line any time he gets denied.

The National Guard or the Coast Guard? Because my brother just joined the Coast Guard, and he plans on going to A-School to fly helicopters, which he will then fly in all manner of ridiculous weather and conditions to save people who were too dumb to watch the weather channel.

National guard, not much call for the coast guard locally.

yesterday, basically was like this:

HS kid comes in looking to get getzlaf 100 flex left se16.

"hey do u guys have any se16s in getzlaf?.... i really need this stick."

"um what flex and hand?"

"uh i need uh uh uh uh left 100"

"we do not, sorry."

"how do you know? Look in the back for me."

"sorry dude im telling you we don't have it."

"i said look in the fucking back for me."

i looked in the back (well, not really, just wasted time and counted how many neck guards we had... our back is small as hell, and you can see most of it from the counter.)

"sorry we dont have it."

"wtf how can you not have it? that's fucking bullshit. what a shit shack place this is. i need that stick so god damn bad why can't you have it?""

"well it is a weird flex and curve and its left... odds are most shops wont have it in stock. i can order it for you, but it is going to take like a week."

"a week? Fuck that is bullshit, i need this stick tonight. no wonder i get all my shit from minnesota, you guys suck."

"gtfo of my store."

"wtf? you can't talk to a customer like that."

"your right, but you just said your not a customer."

"wtf this is bullshit."

he storms out, knocked over a stick rack with about 5K of sticks on it, and slams the door.

funniest thing about this, his asst. coach was in the store in near the back of it and overheard everything... guess who isn't playing next game? hehe.

and today:

"s444 s333 hockey shop"

"hi, do you guys sell hockey gear?"

lol.... what a couple of days.

"um what flex and hand?"

"we do not, sorry."

i looked in the back (well, not really, just wasted time and counted how many neck guards we had... our back is small as hell, and you can see most of it from the counter.)

"sorry we dont have it."

"wtf how can you not have it? that's fucking bullshit. what a shit shack place this is. i need that stick so god damn bad why can't you have it?""

"well it is a weird flex and curve and its left... odds are most shops wont have it in stock. i can order it for you, but it is going to take like a week."

"a week? Fuck that is bullshit, i need this stick tonight. no wonder i get all my shit from minnesota, you guys suck."

"gtfo of my store."

"wtf this is bullshit."

he storms out, knocked over a stick rack with about 5K of sticks on it, and slams the door.

funniest thing about this, his asst. coach was in the store in near the back of it and overheard everything... guess who isn't playing next game? hehe.

and today:

"s444 s333 hockey shop"

Don't you just love it when people are convinced that the F-bomb is the magic word that will get them whatever they want?

To me, because the customer is new so he'll have to pay the retail price -> DOT... if he is not happy he can go fxxx himself somewhere else is a bad strategy... a shop is not a club where rebates are only for golden customers.

The very few LHS I used to go (when I was a kid) are those where even if they dont know you they spontaneously propose you nice deals and awesome rebates.

I remember when I bought my 709 graf in Paris, 1st time in this LHS, I wanted to go for some 609 initially but they didn't have my size, so he sold me some 709 for the 609's price B) + took time to explained the 709flexfit system and the difference with the 609, he upgraded my laces with some waxed ones, sharpened them + gave some blade protectors, small skate bags and a lillte cloth for the blade.

It's nothing much for him. But at least I clearly see the difference between getting something online and to go in a shop. In another shop I could have pay the same price and just got a pair of 609 and end of the story.

Example : the other f... face 2 streets further who didnt even want to hear anything about rebates because probably it was my 1st time in his shop. Conclusion he keeps his gears, I wont come back, and I wont recommand the shop to anyone... :P

Some just know how to enlarge their customer base others don't.

Service and competitve prices build a customer base, not discounts given just because a customer thinks he deserves one. As a customer I'd rather pay a bit more and get good service than get a discount and be left out to dry if I ever needed a warranty repair, exchange or to simply be fitted in a proper pair of skate. Once a trust "link" is established between the customer and the owner/employees, perks and discounts are sometimes offered by the owner or shop employees if they have some margin to play around with.

To me, because the customer is new so he'll have to pay the retail price -> DOT... if he is not happy he can go fxxx himself somewhere else is a bad strategy... a shop is not a club where rebates are only for golden customers.

The very few LHS I used to go (when I was a kid) are those where even if they dont know you they spontaneously propose you nice deals and awesome rebates.

I remember when I bought my 709 graf in Paris, 1st time in this LHS, I wanted to go for some 609 initially but they didn't have my size, so he sold me some 709 for the 609's price B) + took time to explained the 709flexfit system and the difference with the 609, he upgraded my laces with some waxed ones, sharpened them + gave some blade protectors, small skate bags and a lillte cloth for the blade.

It's nothing much for him. But at least I clearly see the difference between getting something online and to go in a shop. In another shop I could have pay the same price and just got a pair of 609 and end of the story.

Example : the other f... face 2 streets further who didnt even want to hear anything about rebates because probably it was my 1st time in his shop. Conclusion he keeps his gears, I wont come back, and I wont recommand the shop to anyone... :P

Some just know how to enlarge their customer base others don't.

Service and competitve prices build a customer base, not discounts given just because a customer thinks he deserves one. As a customer I'd rather pay a bit more and get good service than get a discount and be left out to dry if I ever needed a warranty repair, exchange or to simply be fitted in a proper pair of skate. Once a trust "link" is established between the customer and the owner/employees, perks and discounts are sometimes offered by the owner or shop employees if they have some margin to play around with.

If you're giving discounts to everyone you're never going to be able to charge regular price. As soon as you do, they start bitching about not getting a discount.

sure.. but that's not what i'm saying. At one point we all start ice-hockey, there's a 1st time when you need to buy your equipment for the 1st time... between a shop smiling and proposing you up front nice deals without asking anything and the other tightwad who won't drop a nikel - my choice is quickly done.. we share the same passion.. I'm just saying it's a bit stupid to say "the guy is a brand new customer so we won't do single move for him".. we were all new customers at one point so were the golden returning customers.

Maybe not the case in US but in France the price of the gears sometime makes that parents just can't afford to have their kids play hockey.

I never asked for any discount, they just offered by themself. I actually think it's kinda rude to ask for discount. Even if I absolutely dislike the occupation - nothing noble in that kind of job.. but they are the economy's motor ... buying stuff selling stuff :(

lol at the discount seekers. if there's random stuff thats neglected and like the three model years old that nobody loves, and hasnt ever moved... I'll ask what the price is. if it's full, fine, if we can meet some pareto optimal price, sign me up... but it's stupid to expect a discount on normal stuff. I do try go out of my way to wait for items that i have them order, so they dont have to deal with stupid shipping costs, especially if im looking for like, one blade.

sure.. but that's not what i'm saying. At one point we all start ice-hockey, there's a 1st time when you need to buy your equipment for the 1st time... between a shop smiling and proposing you up front nice deals without asking anything and the other tightwad who won't drop a nikel - my choice is quickly done.. we share the same passion.. I'm just saying it's a bit stupid to say "the guy is a brand new customer so we won't do single move for him".. we were all new customers at one point so were the golden returning customers.

Maybe not the case in US but in France the price of the gears sometime makes that parents just can't afford to have their kids play hockey.

I never asked for any discount, they just offered by themself. I actually think it's kinda rude to ask for discount. Even if I absolutely dislike the occupation - nothing noble in that kind of job.. but they are the economy's motor ... buying stuff selling stuff :(

So because a first time customer might become a repeat customer, they should be given a discount anytime you walk in? How the hell do you sell anything at regular price? If they buy there because it's cheap the first time, and you charge them regualr price the next time, they're going to the competing shop that will offer them the discount. It's stupid.

You set a competitive price and stick to it, and compete on service and knowledge. Random schlubs who walk through the door don't get discounts. Sorry.

As for affording that first set of equipment, buy cheaper gear. You don't need the top end stuff when you're learning. If it's pricey then over in the US due to shipping, the shop can't help that. They have to charge higher prices to make money.

Discounts and refunds are rewards for being a loyal customer, not something used to entice somebody to become a loyal customer. Because the latter won't work.

"um what flex and hand?"

"we do not, sorry."

"sorry we dont have it."

"gtfo of my store."

"wtf this is bullshit."

and today:

"s444 s333 hockey shop"

What a dumbass..Where is your shop at? Sorry you had to deal w/that.

as a customer, the manager at my LHS gives me the occasional free sharpening or roll of tape after i spend a good amount of money there. major incentive for me to buy my next stick, pair of skates, gloves, gear, etc from them instead of ordering online.

as a customer, the manager at my LHS gives me the occasional free sharpening or roll of tape after i spend a good amount of money there. major incentive for me to buy my next stick, pair of skates, gloves, gear, etc from them instead of ordering online.

Agreed. A roll of tape may only be 2-3 dollars but when they give it to you, it shows that they appreciate your business. Reason enough for me to exclusively shop at the store (save they have my item!).

Yesterday's gem for me,

Phone rings-

Me- "Pro shop"

Person- "Hi, are you open?"

Me- (Wanting to say something clever and witty like Let me check!) "Uh yes sir. Open until 9:30"

Yesterday's gem for me,

Phone rings-

Me- "Pro shop"

Person- "Hi, are you open?"

Me- (Wanting to say something clever and witty like Let me check!) "Uh yes sir. Open until 9:30"

One of our LHS has very nebulous hours. Sometimes they are there but aren't actually open. Sometimes no one's there when they should be open.

x2. Seems like a decent question for me. Pro shop inside our rink is open the weirdest hours. Gotta drop skates off and pick up hours later quite often because noones around to operate the machine.

x2. Seems like a decent question for me. Pro shop inside our rink is open the weirdest hours. Gotta drop skates off and pick up hours later quite often because noones around to operate the machine.

+1

my rink's pro shop has really odd hours. The rink opens at 8 a.m. Mon-Fri, but the pro-shop is only open from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. On Saturdays the shop's hours are listed from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. but I've often gone in around noon on Saturdays only to find the shop closed, or I have to root around the rink for the store manager so I can get what I need. They do the same thing with their Sunday hours; the hours are listed as 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. but I've gone in for Sunday night games at 10 p.m. and the shop has been open. Basically after asking the manager and rink owner what's up with the odd hours they told me, "if we're not getting much business in the day we'll close up and send all the part timers home so we're not paying them to sit around and screw with equipment. If we're super busy we'll stay open until the rush dies and then close."

All I know is that it can be a huge pain in the ass to show up during the hours they're supposed to be open only to find the doors locked and lights off. So, I can see why calling and asking if the store is open is valid, especially when the store hours are pending the whims of the manager and rink owner.

My closest hockey store is 1 hour and 45 minutes away, I'm not in there a whole lot but i had ordered lots of gear there, they know me well and if the right guy is working they almost always give me a pretty decent discount without asking. Would never think of asking, one time i brought home easton pants only to realize i coudlnt wear them with my shinpads, they gave me the tackla 9000z's which were about $40 more on exchange and said we didnt have to pay the difference.

My closest hockey store is 1 hour and 45 minutes away, I'm not in there a whole lot but i had ordered lots of gear there, they know me well and if the right guy is working they almost always give me a pretty decent discount without asking. Would never think of asking, one time i brought home easton pants only to realize i coudlnt wear them with my shinpads, they gave me the tackla 9000z's which were about $40 more on exchange and said we didnt have to pay the difference.

Yeah, there's a guy at my local LHS that has given me a discount twice without me asking or even thinking about it. Needless to say I go there despite it being a 45 minute drive away when I could go to a much closer one that's 15 mins away (their service sucks)

My closest hockey store is 1 hour and 45 minutes away, I'm not in there a whole lot but i had ordered lots of gear there, they know me well and if the right guy is working they almost always give me a pretty decent discount without asking.

+1 for me too. Now that S&S is gone in Utica, the closest to me is McKie's in Syracuse, and that is almost 1.5 hours away. They keep consistent hours and have a very good selection, but I am at the point that retail stuff other than the odds and ends are just not up to snuff with pro stock gear I can get at the same price or less online...and I just can't deal with people that have no clue about equipment. Benji is really good there and their skate guy is good too, so I only go to them.