Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Because somewhere down the line, consumers came under the impression that threatnibg someone would make up for their irrationalism and stupidity. Let the twunt drive to Pepsi Ice Midwest. Something tells me she'll recieve less help from a disintrested Overland Park kid.

Can someone give me a rational explanation as to why someone would behave so unrationally?

Because some people believe this

The customer is always right...even when they're wrong.

i had a guy come in looking for a protective piece of equipment, particularly for the chest area. his son plays goalie in lacrosse and their goal pads dont cut it for him. so i was running through some options of stuff i'd try if i were him, and started to suggest some of the old missions with the hard plate over the chest area, and he starts to cut me off and lecture me about how thats bad, and you want soft to slow it down better blah blah... he was correct, dont get me wrong, but i was going to couple it with a padded shirt or farrell pads to absorb the spread impact form the hard plate.

I still got a physics lecture, though.

I'm an out of work physicist.

doh.

My pet peeve is when they come in all ready to raise a ruckus and start on their tirade. Fine, I'll listen because I want to know exactly what the problem is. They finally catch a breathe, and I start my reply on what can be done or the normal protocol. Now comes the pet peeve: when the customer interupts me speaking and cuts me off mid sentence. Right then I say, "Ok I listened to you speak and finish. Now, you are going to give me the same courtesy or this conversation is over. I didn't cut you off in the middle of speaking. Please do not do it to me." Then we either carry on or we don't. It stops them 100% of the time.

Can someone give me a rational explanation as to why someone would behave so unrationally?

Exactly. I have never been under the assumption as a customer that I am always right. That's a myth. I treat others the way I want to be treated.

LAst week I had a guy come in with a cage and a helmet. He was all dressed for the game, had his sticks and gloves in one hand, and the cage/bucket in the other. As I'm helping a customer he raises the helmet/cage. I look at him. He raises the combo higher. I keep looking. Finally I broke the silence with a polite, "What's up?" He paused for at least 5 seconds now sort of dangling the combo as to get my attention to it. I ask him if he needs it put on, he says yes, so I do it. Since when did people stop speaking and just expect people to know what they want? I mean, I got it as soon as he walked in that's what he needed, but you can't say, "Hey could you attach this for me?" Really? People do it with sharpens all the time.

LAst week I had a guy come in with a cage and a helmet. He was all dressed for the game, had his sticks and gloves in one hand, and the cage/bucket in the other. As I'm helping a customer he raises the helmet/cage. I look at him. He raises the combo higher. I keep looking. Finally I broke the silence with a polite, "What's up?" He paused for at least 5 seconds now sort of dangling the combo as to get my attention to it. I ask him if he needs it put on, he says yes, so I do it. Since when did people stop speaking and just expect people to know what they want? I mean, I got it as soon as he walked in that's what he needed, but you can't say, "Hey could you attach this for me?" Really? People do it with sharpens all the time.

You didn't know that working in retail automatically gives you telekinetic powers? All my customers know I understand their every whim without a word and get quite angry when I lazily and selfishly don't respond to their unverbalized needs and requests.

And lets not forget that when something breaks it is automatically your fault for poor quality. This is because you obviously went to work for Easton for the day and made this poor quality bag. Then brought it back and sold it to her. HAHAHA

People forget you dont make it just sell it.

And at 13 you can carry your equipment, I still prefer the good old carry bag over the big heavy take up too much space in the dressing room wheel bag.

My son takes care of his wheel bag, why did it break......Lady half the plate material around the wheeel is worn off and broken also, you think he drops it off the back much.

And at 13 you can carry your equipment, I still prefer the good old carry bag over the big heavy take up too much space in the dressing room wheel bag.

I don't care if you live in the city, you're a grown man, CARRY YOUR OWN FUCKIN BAG!!

Every time a man, gown ass man, asks to see a wheel bag my hope for humanity dies a little inside.

I don't care if you live in the city, you're a grown man, CARRY YOUR OWN FUCKIN BAG!!

Every time a man, gown ass man, asks to see a wheel bag my hope for humanity dies a little inside.

I see you are in Brooklyn, my gf and I might be looking to move to NYC, or just outside. Do you see a lot of or know of any guys bringing their equipment to the rink via taxi/subway? would that be frowned upon?

Nah, man. It's the city. The majority of people are on the subway or in taxis (if you can afford it). Just remember to get your stuff out before the taxi takes off!

I've had more than a few grand spent at my shop by people who lost all their stuff to a quick cabbie.

And if your gear is the worst smelling thing in the subway car, you're in a good subway car. lol

Edited by VakarLajos

I don't care if you live in the city, you're a grown man, CARRY YOUR OWN BAG!!

Every time a man, gown man, asks to see a wheel bag my hope for humanity dies a little inside.

"If you can wear it, you can carry it." -Heard that when I was 7, never needed someone to carry my bag and never needed a wheel bag after that.

I've been around guys who still play that can't bend over to lace their own skates... At tournaments, they (generally) play in a 75-and over group. Wheel bags can be a GOOD thing for "grown men".

Our goalie rolled his wheeled bag into the locker room last game after a long layoff. We thought he was skating out and were puzzled by the goalie stick. Next thing we know, he's back out the door and driving home because he forgot his leg pads. I think a bag with RFID tagging for equipment would be great for him.

And lets not forget that when something breaks it is automatically your fault for poor quality. This is because you obviously went to work for Easton for the day and made this poor quality bag. Then brought it back and sold it to her. HAHAHA

People forget you dont make it just sell it.

Well, there is a hope that stores will care about the quality of what they sell. Shame on the customer for that.

Exactly. I have never been under the assumption as a customer that I am always right. That's a myth. I treat others the way I want to be treated.

Another thing to think about is that unfortunately in our world today customers have been trained to expect horrible customer service. I've been on both sides, providing customer service and receiving it, and I try to go into each situation with an open mind.

However, most times this is what happens...I explain the problem and/or situation and then I get a blank stare with a "yeah so" or "what do you want me to do?" If the ones providing customer service would actually think about the problem and actually want to provide a solution things would be much different. But as customers we have been trained that it is going to be a fight to the death to get any help and therefore people feel they need to pump themselves up for the battle before coming in the store.

I try my best to support local shops over anything on the internet, but when I go into a shop and the price on an item is say $50 and I can get it online for $24.99 I will say "oh I saw the same thing online for $24.99." What I hope to hear back is "ok let me see if I can do anything, well there is probably shipping and there is also a wait when you order online vs having it today so...although I can't sell it at $24.99 I could give it to you for $34 (or $36 or $30 just some sort of price compromise)." Instead I have gotten on numerous ocasions "well then if I were you I'd buy it online."

I am reasonable, I don't expect shops to exact match online prices unless they want to. But just because you can't match doesn't mean I won't buy from you if you can compromise and show me that you are offering a value added service to my purchase that makes it worth the extra money.

Nah, man. It's the city. The majority of people are on the subway or in taxis (if you can afford it). Just remember to get your stuff out before the taxi takes off!

I've had more than a few grand spent at my shop by people who lost all their stuff to a quick cabbie.

And if your gear is the worst smelling thing in the subway car, you're in a good subway car. lol

haha, it probly will be, im real anal about airing out my equipment.

No. But it is just weird to see people who spent the least amount possible on skates go ahead and pay extra for sharpenings. Not weird how they take care of their skates well, because it is a big investment to them, however if they are spending twice as much as they could for sharpenings, its weird.

Does any other sharpener have this pet peeve: Skates that come in with the laces tied, and they do not bother untying the laces of the skates. Annoys the shit out of me. And its always with the bad "stainless" steel that is rusted to hell, and they make that annoying sound when they hit the wheel.

was just gonna post this myself. We have a lot of Amish in this area, so they bring their rusty, dirty skates for me to sharpen. Hey I appreciate the business, but at the same time, i hate it when they are covered in mud and rust, and on top of that, have old crusty laces that are tied together. Yesterday after the 8th pair to come in that were like this, i finally got pissed and cut the laces.

I did feel bad and threw in a new pair of laces for them though.

I've been around guys who still play that can't bend over to lace their own skates... At tournaments, they (generally) play in a 75-and over group. Wheel bags can be a GOOD thing for "grown men".

And those people also possibly take pills that help them pee. I don't think any less of them.

Obviously there are exceptions. When you're the best skater on the ice and are 34, there's just no reason for it. That's who I'm taking about and I think it's pretty obvious you're not going to fault a man who served in WWII for taking it a bit easy on his back.

Edited by VakarLajos

I don't care if you live in the city, you're a grown man, CARRY YOUR OWN ***** BAG!!

I see you are in Brooklyn, my gf and I might be looking to move to NYC, or just outside. Do you see a lot of or know of any guys bringing their equipment to the rink via taxi/subway? would that be frowned upon?

Cabs are super easy: My huge Sherwood bag and both sticks fit in the back seat with plenty of room. Car, SUV, or van, all easy to use. However, they're expensive. The subway is a pain, especially the turnstiles. I usually have to toss the bag over them, grab the sticks, swipe, and walk through and pick up the bag. I try to get the 5th car in, the conductor that watches the doors sits there, so the doors are locked and no one can walk between cars. Just put the bag in front of that door, take a seat and hold your sticks. I try to leave room so people can at least sit, if it's super packed, oh well, a hockey bag takes up no more room than a bicycle or luggage. Buses are much easier.

Now, I'd never use a wheeled bag, but I don't hate them. What's the difference in wheeling your bag 5 blocks and carrying it on a bus for 5 blocks? I guess the real men carry their bags but skip the bus eh Vakar? (Still resentful of both Brodeurs beating Hank this week).

EDIT: Profanity edit. Damn VL with no edit button, or mute button for that matter haha.

Edited by NYRSinceBirth

Another thing to think about is that unfortunately in our world today customers have been trained to expect horrible customer service. I've been on both sides, providing customer service and receiving it, and I try to go into each situation with an open mind.

However, most times this is what happens...I explain the problem and/or situation and then I get a blank stare with a "yeah so" or "what do you want me to do?" If the ones providing customer service would actually think about the problem and actually want to provide a solution things would be much different. But as customers we have been trained that it is going to be a fight to the death to get any help and therefore people feel they need to pump themselves up for the battle before coming in the store.

I try my best to support local shops over anything on the internet, but when I go into a shop and the price on an item is say $50 and I can get it online for $24.99 I will say "oh I saw the same thing online for $24.99." What I hope to hear back is "ok let me see if I can do anything, well there is probably shipping and there is also a wait when you order online vs having it today so...although I can't sell it at $24.99 I could give it to you for $34 (or $36 or $30 just some sort of price compromise)." Instead I have gotten on numerous ocasions "well then if I were you I'd buy it online."

I am reasonable, I don't expect shops to exact match online prices unless they want to. But just because you can't match doesn't mean I won't buy from you if you can compromise and show me that you are offering a value added service to my purchase that makes it worth the extra money.

Yeah, I have to completely agree there. They're still making a profit at that point 9 times outta 10 and you're happy that way too.

Now, I'd never use a wheeled bag, but I don't hate them. What's the difference in wheeling your bag 5 blocks and carrying it on a bus for 5 blocks? I guess the real men carry their bags but skip the bus eh Vakar? (Still resentful of both Brodeurs beating Hank this week).

Once a normal bag is empty of the skates and equipment it can be rolled, scrunched, or folded and stowed out of the way in a locker room. The wheeled bags have a metal or hard plastic frame that makes sure they cannot be moved out of the way. They pretty much take up a ton of space no matter what.