Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

I looked all over the store for my curve in the new stick (didn't say the brand or model) and finally found it. Snapped it up quick, got it home and had it all taped up before I realized it was the wrong hand."

Hey come on, I've gone into the LHS grabbed a blade that was the brand and the curve I wanted, paid, started driving home, and had to go back because it was a lefty.

Those people at games do drive me nuts, spewing out crap that isn't right to their friends. It was refreshing yesterday at the Avs game someone behind us was actually knowledgeable and was telling his friend half way near decent info about the game.

My little brothers were kind of botherred by it at first, thinking he was going to be annoying all game, but I just told them to listen to what the guy said and laugh at him. He would jump up and yell dumb stuff every time a mediocre hit would happpen near us, and near the end the spirit had a power play and every player who got the puck (one of the few times they moved the puck well the whole game) he kept yelling "Let it GO!" "Launch it!" and all theses synonyms for "shoot" At one point, in quick succession he goes "Blast IT! FIRE IT! SHOOT IT!" and I just go "Bop it, twist it." and had half the section laughing. He didn't hear me though, because he was still yelling.

And yea, picking up the wrong handedness happens, but you'd figure he'd catch it when he went to tape the curve, but he didn't.

We have a glass top display case at the front counter. It amazes me when moms hold their kids and then put them down on top of the glass case. "Could you please keep your child off the glass top case?" Some people just should not A. Have kids. B. Be parents Oh well, can't change that once it's happened.

We have a glass top display case at the front counter. It amazes me when moms hold their kids and then put them down on top of the glass case. "Could you please keep your child off the glass top case?" Some people just should not A. Have kids. B. Be parents Oh well, can't change that once it's happened.

+1 to that

Last summer we had this small child maybe 3 years old that kept wandering into the store and start screaming at our display and then run around and hide. Finally after coaxing her to come out of the display I went into the lobby. Her mom was on the other side of the rink (great job!) and I told her she couldn't be in my store. "Well, she was making so much noise out here".....so, my store is a better option?

I looked all over the store for my curve in the new stick (didn't say the brand or model) and finally found it. Snapped it up quick, got it home and had it all taped up before I realized it was the wrong hand."

Hey come on, I've gone into the LHS grabbed a blade that was the brand and the curve I wanted, paid, started driving home, and had to go back because it was a lefty.

Those people at games do drive me nuts, spewing out crap that isn't right to their friends. It was refreshing yesterday at the Avs game someone behind us was actually knowledgeable and was telling his friend half way near decent info about the game.

My little brothers were kind of botherred by it at first, thinking he was going to be annoying all game, but I just told them to listen to what the guy said and laugh at him. He would jump up and yell dumb stuff every time a mediocre hit would happpen near us, and near the end the spirit had a power play and every player who got the puck (one of the few times they moved the puck well the whole game) he kept yelling "Let it GO!" "Launch it!" and all theses synonyms for "shoot" At one point, in quick succession he goes "Blast IT! FIRE IT! SHOOT IT!" and I just go "Bop it, twist it." and had half the section laughing. He didn't hear me though, because he was still yelling.

And yea, picking up the wrong handedness happens, but you'd figure he'd catch it when he went to tape the curve, but he didn't.

My friend's and I have got into the habit of when someone is doing that, we start screaming "SHOOT!" At obvious times when you can't shoot, like when a player is waiting for a line change behind his own net. It gets a few laughs but more importantly it seems to get the guy to shut up too.

The weekends get very busy in the Pro Shop with 4 rinks and lots of travel hockey. There are a lot of parents in from other rinks and organizations but this was a first on Sunday. I was walking up to the front counter and registers when I see a hockey mom behind a register in front of the computer. I come around the counter and she has her Flip Shot video camera plugged into the USB port! Although it was obvious, I asked her what she was doing. "Oh, I'm just trying to recharge my video camera." "I'm sorry but you cannot do that here. Please take it out immediately. Thank you." Of course, I get the look of "why can't I do this?" Before she asks I just say, "I'm sorry but my bosses would get really upset with me if they saw you doing this." Some people will just try anything anywhere anytime and not give a hoot about the consequences for someone else. Amazing.

Yesterday my day started with a guy who told me he wanted us to help him try things on but wouldn't buy anything because "your prices are too high". Then wondered why I didn't want to help him.

Then, a man came in asking for a Synergy. Any specific model in mind? "THE SYNERGY!" "Ok, there are a few different models"

"WHAT'S THIS ONE?!"

"That's an S19, it's the top of the Stealth line....Is there anything in particular you are looking for in the stick?"

"Yeah, a HOCKEY STICK!"...Really?

ended up buying both an S19 and an SE16, so it worked out ok.

To cap the night off, 9:45, close at 10pm. 3 skates left to sharpen for the 10pm games, 2 repairs to do. Guy comes in. Shoves on skate at me. "Can I help you?"

"Skate sharpening" I'm a little confused because he only has one skate.

"Ok, did you drop them off or did you needed to get them sharpened?"

"Well, this is one of them. I want to get them both sharpened!"

"Sorry, man. not going to be able to do it tonight. We're a bit backed up."

"This is just weak! You've got 25 minutes (well, no we have 15). Isn't the whole point to make money?!"

"Sorry. If we took everybody's skates half the team would be missing for the first period"

Should have asked him why he wasn't at work. I mean, isn't the whole idea to make money?

For as much as some customers do get on my nerves, there are some great customers at my rink. And I like to think that i try to treat everyone the same, but if there is a guy that routinley spends his money at my shop, of course im going to take care of him.

For instance, I had a guy in my shop yesterday. The dude had never played organized hockey, but wanted to sign up for one of our leagues, and needed equipment. To make a long story short, I ended up outfitting him for over $600 worth of gear. But with that, I threw in soakers, 3 rolls of tape, and some sex wax. These things are little things, that dont cost me much, but i like to think that this guy will remember my store first from now on. Hopefully, he will be a life-long customer.

I do have several that only shop with me. They appreciate that we are a small shop in an area that isnt exactly hockey crazy. I think some people dont understand how little money there is in hockey retail. Unless you are a big store that can afford buy closeout items for hardly anything, life isnt easy. If you look back at the posts in this thread, I think you see a few common themes:

1) Impatience - The level of impatience in today's society is alarming. I think if everyone took a moment to relax for just a minute, people would be a lot happier.

2) Ignorance - Lets face it, most people arent like your average MSH member. They likely dont know much about what they are buying, and need guidance.

3) Bad Customer Service - All of us retailers are guilty of once in a while not doing good enough in this aspect. I know I have had a few situations I wish i could re-do, but I also know the big stores are a lot worse. On top of that they have also conditioned some customers to expect poor service, so to counter that, they come in treating you like dirt. A cycle that we can only hope to try to close on our end.

But, this is a place to vent about the customers that you just have to laugh about. And there are a lot. Sometimes there are situations that only a proshop worker, no matter where from, would understand.

Yesterday my day started with a guy who told me he wanted us to help him try things on but wouldn't buy anything because "your prices are too high". Then wondered why I didn't want to help him.

Then, a man came in asking for a Synergy. Any specific model in mind? "THE SYNERGY!" "Ok, there are a few different models"

"WHAT'S THIS ONE?!"

"That's an S19, it's the top of the Stealth line....Is there anything in particular you are looking for in the stick?"

ended up buying both an S19 and an SE16, so it worked out ok.

To cap the night off, 9:45, close at 10pm. 3 skates left to sharpen for the 10pm games, 2 repairs to do. Guy comes in. Shoves on skate at me. "Can I help you?"

"Skate sharpening" I'm a little confused because he only has one skate.

"Ok, did you drop them off or did you needed to get them sharpened?"

"Well, this is one of them. I want to get them both sharpened!"

"Sorry, man. not going to be able to do it tonight. We're a bit backed up."

"This is just weak! You've got 25 minutes (well, no we have 15). Isn't the whole point to make money?!"

"Sorry. If we took everybody's skates half the team would be missing for the first period"

Should have asked him why he wasn't at work. I mean, isn't the whole idea to make money?

i think to a lot of people "Synergy" is synonymous with OPS like kleenex

Edited by kenneth

1) Impatience - The level of impatience in today's society is alarming. I think if everyone took a moment to relax for just a minute, people would be a lot happier.

2) Ignorance - Lets face it, most people arent like your average MSH member. They likely dont know much about what they are buying, and need guidance.

3) Bad Customer Service - All of us retailers are guilty of once in a while not doing good enough in this aspect. I know I have had a few situations I wish i could re-do, but I also know the big stores are a lot worse. On top of that they have also conditioned some customers to expect poor service, so to counter that, they come in treating you like dirt. A cycle that we can only hope to try to close on our end.

Ah yes, the unholy trinity. Next time you happen to be in for a check-up, ask your doctor for a few anonymous stories on those themes. There is almost no limit to the bathos that can be created by person who treats someone who's trying to help them like a serf because they expect poor service or advice, are either afraid of having their ignorance exposed or utterly convinced that they know more than the professional in front of them because they spent five minutes with Google, and anxious as hell to get the whole thing over with so they can get on to their next source of anxiety -- but not before fueling it with another litre of crappy hyper-caffeinated syrup.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured this one would be as good as any.

I just came home from the local rink. I went to a public skate to get a first skate on my new Vapor's. Anyways, I come off the ice & sit down to remove my skates & there's a fella about 18 or 20 next to me getting ready to go on. He's got a brand new pair of lower end Vapors and he's got a piece of sandpaper and is sanding the bottom of his blades, I assume to remove rust. :blink: I really wanted to say something but just decided to let it go. Also judging by the size of the skate & his feet I'd estimate 2-3 sizes too big.

I tried to stall a little bit because I wanted to see him skate on those but he farted around too long & I got bored & left.

For as much as some customers do get on my nerves, there are some great customers at my rink. And I like to think that i try to treat everyone the same, but if there is a guy that routinley spends his money at my shop, of course im going to take care of him.

Definitely. I have some customers that have become very good friends of mine. I'm always willing to look past a first impression. Everybody has their off days.

This guy is driving me nuts. He's being great, he's very nice and helpful... but I ask him about Kovalchuk pro sticks and he tells me he has them in NBH and asks me what flex. I clarify that I'm looking for the pro pattern a "toe" curve and send him a pic of the pattern. I also mention that I'm not looking for a heel curve. He verifies that it's the "pro pattern P91 or P91a." UGH.

I'm sure I'm on his list too because obviously there is a failure to communicate somewhere. <_<

This is happening right now. A guy just walked in with 2 pair of ONE95 skates that his girlfriend bought him online. He wants us to fit him and tell him which size is the proper fit! Then we will bake and sharpen for $50, our usual fee for skates bought online. What a set of cajones!

Neither size fit perfectly. I told him to keep both pair.

Great reason why you should shop at your LHS....I bought my first new pair of skates in about 12 years yesterday...ended up in Vapor X:50's....one whole size smaller than my last pair....the guy that helped me was a weath of information.....Best thing is the X50's were $449 in the shop versus $469 online...considering the shipping and $40 to back I figured I saved at least $80......

For me, there's just something about being in my LHS that makes it worth it to go up there. My dad and I have been getting our gear from the same place for as long as I can remember. We shop at Hockey 1 (South Windsor Arena) and I seriously doubt that they could fit any more stuff in there, but I think it adds something to the experience that you can't get online.

This is happening right now. A guy just walked in with 2 pair of ONE95 skates that his girlfriend bought him online. He wants us to fit him and tell him which size is the proper fit! Then we will bake and sharpen for $50, our usual fee for skates bought online. What a set of cajones!

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of local business. BUT... The guys girlfriend bought him the skates on line, all he did was come to you to be fitted and for your help. Someone had to recommend him to you, don't you think? What you wrote puts out the vibe that you hosed him for that. Two pair of One95's cost some serious coin, why not help him out, charge your going rate for the service, and set up future sales? Relationships have to start somewhere..

\

"WHAT'S THIS ONE?!"

Same guy on the phone earlier: "Hi I need Easton hockey sticks." OK, which one, we have a decent stock of the top of the line stuff. "Synergy" Yea we have the SE16, what flex/patter/etc. "Is that the black one? I want the black one" That's the S19. "So Synergy?" No Stealth. "I want the Synergy." That's the SE16. "Oh ok and that's the black one right?" The black on is the Stealth, S19. The Synergy or SE16 is blue and chrome. "The Synergy, that's the yellow one?"

Back to the one skate guy, I had a different guy tonight needing 4 rivets per skate on the front of each. No way he'd be able to skate on it. We were just getting busy, about 25 minutes before we close and this guy really needed the work. I knew a rush was coming, but I still did the rivets for him and got the sharpens and other repairs done. "Hey I need these sharpened, but I need to ask you, I need rivets, I can't skate on this can I?" Nah man, that's too much. "Crap, anyway you can help me out?" If all customers were like that, life would be good.

Did you ever get a call about a red shell last night? I had a guy call me up needing a pair and we didn't have any so I suggested he find the number for you and give you a call.

maybe i'm the anomaly here, but when i worked as a store manager at a sporting goods shop, i LOVED it when people brought products to me for service/repair/maintenance that weren't originally purchased from me.

labor sales are, by and large, a much more profitable business than retail sales. yes, he bought the skates somewhere else, but it cost that company a few hundred in OTB money to make that sale. all it cost me was a few minutes and he's helping me pay off my oven, i'm getting the opportunity to talk to him casually (no sales pitch) and i'm showing him how expert this place is. need new rivets? NO PROBLEM! while you're waiting, why don't you go try on that under armor that everyone sells for the same price, but you'll buy from me because all of a sudden you're blessed with time.

now i'm a rep... and when i sell product into a store who is apprehensive about who's going to buy one of the full size run of $600 jackets i'm asking them to book, i say "they're going to buy a toque. they're going to get compliments on it, it's going to keep them warm and dry, and last them a couple years, but pretty soon their jacket is going to fall apart, and they're going to buy that $600 jacket because their $40 toque was the best toque they ever wore, and they're tired of buying stuff that fails them, and if this toque didnt fail them, how would this beautiful jacket from the same company fail them?"

the point is that not every customer is going to be a big fish. they're not all going to come in and buy a pair of TotalOnes, with a set of backup fusion steel and a 3 S19s all at full retail no questions asked, then give you a reach-around before they hand over their credit card... some start small, actually most start small. and if all it costs you is a few moments to properly do what the retailer who sold them the skates couldn't (and charge them for it!), why not embrace the opportunity? this world is becoming more and more comfortable with buying over the internet, it aint going anywhere. so as a retailer you either have to find a way to beat them (embrace the opportunity to earn their business... or at least get a cut), OR you can move all your inventory into your basement and visit godaddy.com

/rant