Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

"for me, there's just something about being in my LHS that makes it worth it to go up there. My dad and I have been getting our gear from the same place for as long as I can remember. We shop at Hockey 1 (South Windsor Arena) and I seriously doubt that they could fit any more stuff in there, but I think it adds something to the experience that you can't get online."

Kinda off topic but i read the stories you guys provide in this thread.... and you might take this the wrong way but when i started getting back into hockey I tried to order a stick from my LHS and they took my money, info, etc etc. a week goes by.. i call the shop... waiting for Sherwood.. 2 weeks go by.. Your stick is stuck in customs.... 3 weeks go by... Still waiting on Sherwood....

At that point I called sherwood myself to try and see what the heck is going on.. turns out they were behind on their payments to sherwood and they were refusing to ship product to them!!! (atleast thats what Sherwood told me) I asked for a refund of my money and this brings me to reason for quoting about Hockey 1. They got me my stick here in Annapolis in 2 days. If i order stuff online its from them. They have excellent customer service. Great pricing and awesome selection. I was lucky to stumble across them.

Look, i want to FULLY support my LHS... but when the best shop is hardly open, and the other one jerked me around for close to a month.. its kinda hard to. I can understand if the associated didnt know what was going on in the finance side of the business but i spoke to the manager several times as well. I still buy smaller items from them at the rink, and get my skates done there. (only by a select sharpener or two though).

You get reach arounds at work? shit where do i sign up? ;)

I think the reason most LHS's charge fitting service and baking and first time sharpening for non-store bought stuff though is that it is an incentive for people to shop locally, instead of online. If they didn't have to spend that money getting fitted, baked, etc. at their LHS, and they could get those services for the same price as everyone else, then they'll shop around and find the best deal, instead of paying like maybe 5% more at most at the LHS, because they wouldn't have to pay those services.

Plus when people do buy online and have to pay for those services at their LHS, they are going to shop locally next time, because they dont want to pay that service. If my shop is 10 bucks more than the net, and it will cost them 30 bucks to get baked and all that, they'll shop at my shop to save the money, plus, they might get some free shit out of it too.

I get what your saying it does seem like a lot of people are upset that people don't buy everything at their place, and if they just provide good customer service then more than likely in the future they will shop at their store. If they provide bad CS, they obviously wont. But the reasoning behind fitting and all of that shit isn't to make a quick buck, its to incite people to shop at their place, instead of down the road or the net. There are two shops in my town, we're the only one with a baker. We've noticed quite a bit of people who buy their skates there, come here, realize we have the same prices or lower on stuff, and then have to pay that 20 bucks for baking everything, they'll come here next time because it will be free. Quite a bit of parents have converted their kids to us instead of them for that only reason.

a new cusI think the reason most LHS's charge fitting service and baking and first time sharpening for non-store bought stuff though is that it is an incentive for people to shop locally, instead of online. If they didn't have to spend that money getting fitted, baked, etc. at their LHS, and they could get those services for the same price as everyone else, then they'll shop around and find the best deal, instead of paying like maybe 5% more at most at the LHS, because they wouldn't have to pay those services.

Plus when people do buy online and have to pay for those services at their LHS, they are going to shop locally next time, because they dont want to pay that service. If my shop is 10 bucks more than the net, and it will cost them 30 bucks to get baked and all that, they'll shop at my shop to save the money, plus, they might get some free shit out of it too.

I get what your saying it does seem like a lot of people are upset that people don't buy everything at their place, and if they just provide good customer service then more than likely in the future they will shop at their store. If they provide bad CS, they obviously wont. But the reasoning behind fitting and all of that shit isn't to make a quick buck, its to incite people to shop at their place, instead of down the road or the net. There are two shops in my town, we're the only one with a baker. We've noticed quite a bit of people who buy their skates there, come here, realize we have the same prices or lower on stuff, and then have to pay that 20 bucks for baking everything, they'll come here next time because it will be free. Quite a bit of parents have converted their kids to us instead of them for that only reason.

of course the incentive is to attempt to earn a new customer, but the instant pay off is the labor fee your charging. regardless if he never shops in your store again, you still made a sale... and it was a high margin sale at that... which is what my point was; i embraced labor sales because there's a two fold advantage.

Edited by shotty

there's definitely an incentive. We gladly will accept business. I think the majority of the complaints on here stem from people using the shops as fitting rooms or complaining when there IS a charge for service on products not bought from the LHS.

As in "Can I get these baked?"

"Sure, it'll be $20"

"WHAT?! WHY?! That's weak!"

a new cusI think the reason most LHS's charge fitting service and baking and first time sharpening for non-store bought stuff though is that it is an incentive for people to shop locally, instead of online. If they didn't have to spend that money getting fitted, baked, etc. at their LHS, and they could get those services for the same price as everyone else, then they'll shop around and find the best deal, instead of paying like maybe 5% more at most at the LHS, because they wouldn't have to pay those services.

of course the incentive is to attempt to earn a new customer, but the instant pay off is the labor fee your charging. regardless if he never shops in your store again, you still made a sale... and it was a high margin sale at that... which is what my point was; i embraced labor sales because there's a two fold advantage.

Quick question - What happens when a customer needs a re-bake on the skates? If they bought from you originally do they now get hit for the baking fee? What about if they didn't buy from you but paid a baking fee for the first bake, do they get hit again?

Quick question - What happens when a customer needs a re-bake on the skates? If they bought from you originally do they now get hit for the baking fee? What about if they didn't buy from you but paid a baking fee for the first bake, do they get hit again?

From my experience

Rebake at the same shop = no fee

Rebake at different shop = fee

I had my U+'s done at another shop because they had a FIT machine. The place I bought them did not.

So when I went to shop 2.

ME: Do you guys have a FIT Machine

Employee: Yes, it's $25

ME: Cool, here are my skates

This is happening right now. A guy just walked in with 2 pair of ONE95 skates that his girlfriend bought him online. He wants us to fit him and tell him which size is the proper fit! Then we will bake and sharpen for $50, our usual fee for skates bought online. What a set of cajones!

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of local business. BUT... The guys girlfriend bought him the skates on line, all he did was come to you to be fitted and for your help. Someone had to recommend him to you, don't you think? What you wrote puts out the vibe that you hosed him for that. Two pair of One95's cost some serious coin, why not help him out, charge your going rate for the service, and set up future sales? Relationships have to start somewhere..

Sorry if you misunderstood my post. We charge $35/bake and $15/first time sharpen on skates bought elsewhere. We charged him our standard fees. I have no problem with online sites. They will be around forever. I just get a kick out of what I see occur on a daily basis. I am glad you are a supporter of local business. It is important. If you want to have some fun, offer to work in the LHS for a day or two. I'm sure you might have a few stories of your own to share. Also Vakar and I have shops in metro NYC. We deal with typical NYC attitude 24/7. We need a laugh now and then to keep going. Keep supporting your LHS. Remember, we have the bake oven!!!!!

I totally agree with supporting my local hardware store that carries hockey equipment and carries a lot of brand names. I live in a small community and we have only one option. The brothers who own the store are great guys that I play hockey with as well. I just received my ONE95's today that I ordered off the internet.

I got them baked and contoured at the store. I was only charged for the contour. I offered to pay for the baking as well but they said, we can't get those for you so we will bake them and just charge you for the contour.

I think this shows how great a lot of small shops are. I buy everything there and even ask if they can order in something I want. If they cant I am forced to go elsewhere.

The internet is a great place for equipment, but i agree we need to support our local shops so they dont disappear

This is happening right now. A guy just walked in with 2 pair of ONE95 skates that his girlfriend bought him online. He wants us to fit him and tell him which size is the proper fit! Then we will bake and sharpen for $50, our usual fee for skates bought online. What a set of cajones!

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of local business. BUT... The guys girlfriend bought him the skates on line, all he did was come to you to be fitted and for your help. Someone had to recommend him to you, don't you think? What you wrote puts out the vibe that you hosed him for that. Two pair of One95's cost some serious coin, why not help him out, charge your going rate for the service, and set up future sales? Relationships have to start somewhere..

Sorry if you misunderstood my post. We charge $35/bake and $15/first time sharpen on skates bought elsewhere. We charged him our standard fees. I have no problem with online sites. They will be around forever. I just get a kick out of what I see occur on a daily basis. I am glad you are a supporter of local business. It is important. If you want to have some fun, offer to work in the LHS for a day or two. I'm sure you might have a few stories of your own to share. Also Vakar and I have shops in metro NYC. We deal with typical NYC attitude 24/7. We need a laugh now and then to keep going. Keep supporting your LHS. Remember, we have the bake oven!!!!!

I dont know how I forgot this one. Guy on the phone telling me he has a game TONIGHT!! TONIGHT!! so he needs to swing by and pick up a goalie chest protector.. Told him the price. "That's ridiculous! Hockey monkey has it for $xxx. I have a game tonight!! What am I going to do?"

He never came in. I guess he picked it up at HockeyMonkey....in California. From NY.....Don't know if he made it to his game.

I totally agree with supporting my local hardware store that carries hockey equipment and carries a lot of brand names. I live in a small community and we have only one option. The brothers who own the store are great guys that I play hockey with as well. I just received my ONE95's today that I ordered off the internet.

I got them baked and contoured at the store. I was only charged for the contour. I offered to pay for the baking as well but they said, we can't get those for you so we will bake them and just charge you for the contour.

I think this shows how great a lot of small shops are. I buy everything there and even ask if they can order in something I want. If they cant I am forced to go elsewhere.

The internet is a great place for equipment, but i agree we need to support our local shops so they dont disappear

Couldn't be said any better!

Keep in mind, if there is something that I cannot get (out of stock) and it is on the internet, I will tell them that. Honesty is key, and I believe most customers appreciate that.

I'll even send people to other shops if I think they can help. Hell, I've searched ebay and online shops for friends if there's something I can't get because I know they're coming to me for the baking and sharpening.

Again, no problem with competition. Just want to be compensated for the work you're doing.

Keep in mind, if there is something that I cannot get (out of stock) and it is on the internet, I will tell them that. Honesty is key, and I believe most customers appreciate that.

I did, btw when should we get working on those skates? You said to wait till the end of the month.

Edited by CAmmon

Crazy Lady : "Can I get my skates sharpened?"

"Sure. It's a little busy though, so there's a bit of a wait. Your skates will be done at 3:30."

CL : "Oh. Okay. I come back at 2:30?"

"No, 3:30"

*slight delay, she's about to leave, but does a 180 and comes back*

CL : "Oh. So dey ready at 2:30?"

"Listen, I'll try to get to them as fast as I can, but it'll be pretty close to 3:30 before I can do them."

CL : "OK"

Had she asked for 2:30 on more time, I was going to tell her they'd be done at 7:00. ;)

(This is the same nutjob that had the balls to ask if goal pads that were 50% off could be discounted any further.) :rolleyes:

EDIT: And the same nutjob that has never paid for a sharpening. She's got a free sharpening coupon EVERY SINGLE TIME. We advertise in a local minor hockey magazine every month, and she must collect the friggin things. I think we should add "Sorry, not for you Elaine" in small print on those coupons. :P

Edited by AHF

Crazy Lady : "Can I get my skates sharpened?"

"Sure. It's a little busy though, so there's a bit of a wait. Your skates will be done at 3:30."

CL : "Oh. Okay. I come back at 2:30?"

"No, 3:30"

*slight delay, she's about to leave, but does a 180 and comes back*

CL : "Oh. So dey ready at 2:30?"

"Listen, I'll try to get to them as fast as I can, but it'll be pretty close to 3:30 before I can do them."

CL : "OK"

Had she asked for 2:30 on more time, I was going to tell her they'd be done at 7:00. ;)

(This is the same nutjob that had the balls to ask if goal pads that were 50% off could be discounted any further.) :rolleyes:

EDIT: And the same nutjob that has never paid for a sharpening. She's got a free sharpening coupon EVERY SINGLE TIME. We advertise in a local minor hockey magazine every month, and she must collect the friggin things. I think we should add "Sorry, not for you Elaine" in small print on those coupons.

I laugh at everything except the coupons...if you offer them, then why be annoyed that she redeemed them? I suppose you would say that its the same 'nutjob' and thats why you're annoyed...:P

when i worked retail, the store i managed was brand new, and we advertised a free sharpening in 'the province' which is essentially the #1 paper distribution wise. i got over 350 coupons within a few days and the turn around was something like ten days. no one seemed to mind, and jeez, did we get a lot of return customers that way.

if i ever opened a shop, which i'm thinking of doing, i would definitely drop a coupon again

I laugh at everything except the coupons...if you offer them, then why be annoyed that she redeemed them? I suppose you would say that its the same 'nutjob' and thats why you're annoyed...:P

You will always get that one person that scoops up dozens of copies of the publication to get the coupons and they will hoard them. The only time you will ever see those particular customers is when they can get something for free from you. Those people are frustrating and annoying, but that's life.

when i worked retail, the store i managed was brand new, and we advertised a free sharpening in 'the province' which is essentially the #1 paper distribution wise. i got over 350 coupons within a few days and the turn around was something like ten days. no one seemed to mind, and jeez, did we get a lot of return customers that way.

if i ever opened a shop, which i'm thinking of doing, i would definitely drop a coupon again

It's great for new business. You get a lot of new people through the door at least once. You just have to have a reason for them to come back again.

You will always get that one person that scoops up dozens of copies of the publication to get the coupons and they will hoard them. The only time you will ever see those particular customers is when they can get something for free from you. Those people are frustrating and annoying, but that's life.

Bingo.

Frustrating as hell, but that's the way she goes. In fact, she was in a couple weeks ago and commented on the fact the the customer service in other stores in town is not very good, so we're doing something right.

You should open up a shop in the tri cities if you do ;)

it'll be vancouver, just outside the downtown core. i've got my eye on a few locations but i'm nervous as hell to jump into a startup. there's a couple shops for sale that i've looked into.

Edited by shotty

had my first: "BUT HES GOT A GAME SOON" (and we arent even located in a rink...)

"I've NEVER had to wait for 40 minutes before"...

you must never have been here on a saturday, if you want to look you can see the line.....

Funny thing today at Pro Hockey life.. the shooting system thing was open but without the computers on nor employee's watching over it.. I see some idiots take brand new sticks inside there and rip shots with them and when they were done with it and had a good laugh just puts it back down and leave.. and it was a brand new U+ cl. The employee's didn't even care couple of them just hanging around. What bothers me was even more idiots tried to do the same thing grabbing new stick's off the rack, rushing over and also ripping those shots.. =/

Funny thing today at Pro Hockey life.. the shooting system thing was open but without the computers on nor employee's watching over it.. I see some idiots take brand new sticks inside there and rip shots with them and when they were done with it and had a good laugh just puts it back down and leave.. and it was a brand new U+ cl. The employee's didn't even care couple of them just hanging around. What bothers me was even more idiots tried to do the same thing grabbing new stick's off the rack, rushing over and also ripping those shots.. =/

I dunno about the Vaughn one, but the one here in Heartland is quieter. I only ever shot in there when i was buying a stick, always ended up leaving with one. The guys there didint hve the system on the last time i went but he gave me some great advice.

The shooting pad at Hockeyexperts here in Sauga is completely unmanned, anyone can go and shoot anything, they dont care...