Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

This happened a couple weeks ago, forgot to mention it.

Owed my little brother a little cash so I told him I'd buy him a stick since he'd grown about 8 inches taller since the last time he bought one.

So we head to the Saginaw Perani's sale. I find a Mission L2 75 flex, and am surprised to see that even though it's 75 flex, and it's much shorter than a normal shaft it's clearly senior dimensions. I tell my little brother to get a senior blade, he finds one he likes. Take it up to the kid at the counter. Me: "Can you put this in for us?"

Kid: *Smirks* "No."

Me: "Umm...why not."

Kid: "That's a senior blade, no way it's going in that intermediate shaft."

Me: *Holds the blade and shaft to demonstrate a perfect fit.* "You sure."

Kid: "Yeah,"

So I send my little brother to get the intermediate blade. Kid goes on break, so I give the shaft to the other guy. My little brother hands him the intermediate blade. "This blade isn't going to work, you need a senior." I laugh "You mean like this one."

I intentionally wait around looking at other stuff until t he kid comes back from break, so he can check us out. He sees the blade in the shaft, looks up at me and then down quick and mumbles without making eye contact until we're done and we leave.

hey guys gotta question

do you have visors? Bauer (old itechs) and Oakley (what they didn't have in stock) are literally going to take until October to come in.

guess not. ha.

Customer: I want to get my skates rebaked for hockey school

NO problem, hands me the skates, sorry these aren't bakable

Customer : You baked them when we bought them

We didn't sell that model

Customer: We buy all our hockey equipment here

Tell her again we didn't sell that model, Kid pipes up we bought them at a tournament remember mom

Have you ever had a customer come in and try something on and actually tell you that they are gonna buy the item online, they just wanted to check the fit?

I don't own a shop, and have never worked in one, but what irritates me is when people go to the local shop to check out items, and then buy them online to save a few bucks and tax (if even that), but then, they complain if the shop closes, or starts carrying less things.

I really like my LHS, so I often do my research online, and then go into the shop and look to buy it there first, if they don't have it in stock, I see if they can order it, and if all that fails, I will buy it online. My LHS's prices usually are the same as you can find at places like icewarehouse anyway, plus with buying skates for the same price I got a skate bake free, and 5 free sharpenings, so a better deal anyway.

This happened a couple weeks ago, forgot to mention it.

Owed my little brother a little cash so I told him I'd buy him a stick since he'd grown about 8 inches taller since the last time he bought one.

So we head to the Saginaw Perani's sale. I find a Mission L2 75 flex, and am surprised to see that even though it's 75 flex, and it's much shorter than a normal shaft it's clearly senior dimensions. I tell my little brother to get a senior blade, he finds one he likes. Take it up to the kid at the counter. Me: "Can you put this in for us?"

Kid: *Smirks* "No."

Me: "Umm...why not."

Kid: "That's a senior blade, no way it's going in that intermediate shaft."

Me: *Holds the blade and shaft to demonstrate a perfect fit.* "You sure."

Kid: "Yeah,"

So I send my little brother to get the intermediate blade. Kid goes on break, so I give the shaft to the other guy. My little brother hands him the intermediate blade. "This blade isn't going to work, you need a senior." I laugh "You mean like this one."

I intentionally wait around looking at other stuff until t he kid comes back from break, so he can check us out. He sees the blade in the shaft, looks up at me and then down quick and mumbles without making eye contact until we're done and we leave.

The guy who told you it wouldn't fit is an idiot I've put senior blades in all of my Int. shafts. I din't even know intermediate blades existed untill a few months ago.

The guy who told you it wouldn't fit is an idiot I've put senior blades in all of my Int. shafts. I din't even know intermediate blades existed untill a few months ago.

Most intermediate shafts do take senior blades. There's been a couple exceptions. easton intermediate shafts a few years back took intermediate blades. and I thought the l-2 intermediate took junior blades though?

http://www.rollerhockeymonkey.com/rbl2jrc.html

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33102

I don't own a shop, and have never worked in one, but what irritates me is when people go to the local shop to check out items, and then buy them online to save a few bucks and tax (if even that), but then, they complain if the shop closes, or starts carrying less things.

I really like my LHS, so I often do my research online, and then go into the shop and look to buy it there first, if they don't have it in stock, I see if they can order it, and if all that fails, I will buy it online. My LHS's prices usually are the same as you can find at places like icewarehouse anyway, plus with buying skates for the same price I got a skate bake free, and 5 free sharpenings, so a better deal anyway.

Great points. You sound like a good customer, honest and understand what goes on. Three shops in my area have recently closed. I wonder what people will do when the LHS is not around.

I just bought 2 motorcycle helmets online, a lg, then a XL. Both did not fit, despite the sizing guide recommending a medium. I would never think of being a scumbag and going down to the local bike shop and sizing a helmet there before buying online. Instead, I suck it it up and if make a mistake with my online order, ow well, that's why online prices are usually cheaper.

Well, luckily I don't flex the sticks anymore. I've played enough to know what one flex will feel like. Just wondering if this annoys any of you LHS workers/owners. Do you get annoyed if a person asks you to match another stores price? I'll do this sometimes but it's usually only by 15-25 dollars. This may have been asked before, but I really didn't want to go through all those pages.

Why not go to the shop with the lower price in the first place?

God bless you, man.

Tipping your sharpener is always appreciated, but not something that's expected.

And no, ma'am. I don't know if this will fit your child because I have no idea what he looks like. I've seen 10 year olds that are 3.5 feet tall and some that are 5 feet tall. What does this say about you as a parent? And do you really need to ask why you cannot return a jock strap?

Our shop has an open doorway whenever we are open. I really wish we had a door that people needed to open in order to get in. Maybe this would turn on the switch in their brain that tells them they are entering a place of business and not a charity. I've had people ask if we have up to and including full sets of goalie equipment they can use for a skate. We've had to start asking for collateral on screwdrivers because so many have walked.

DarkStar, any insight on that?

Edited by VakarLajos

Tools never ever leave the shop.

And this week two beer league guys came in: " I only have 1 elbow pad. Can I borrow one?" " I forgot my helmet. Can you loan me one?" My stock answer: "Ask your team mate on the bench to lend you his." As the Pro Shop saying goes: Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

My heart and sympathy goes out to you guys who run shops in rinks. The last minute purchases, demands for quick fix or sharpening before going on the ice when you're trying to close, and people just killing time and disorganizing merchandise while their kid/sibling/friend skates would drive me up the wall. You make me not take the fact that we are stand alone for granted. Thank you.

As far as tipping your sharpener goes, I'll say this. Taking a little extra out of your pocket now will probably keep more in your pocket later.

Small rant related to customers tipping. I had a customer today, fairly regular, has two kids playing higher level hockey. Daughter plays division 1 college hockey in New England. Now as a D1 player, all of your equipment is provided for you. If I spend over an hour sizing your daughter up almost head to toe knowing that my store isn't going to make a dime off of you just so she knows what model and size to tell her equipment manager when she gets back to school, the least you could do is throw me a few bucks for the time/information.

A question as a customer... are we suppose to tip the skate sharpener?

While its not required, it is considered good form. If you always go to the same sharpener, or at least the same place and they do a job you are satisfied with, then throwing them something will not only make them remember you next time, they will make sure to keep pumping out quality work for you. However, some people are jerks, and if your sharpener is one, regardless of the job they do, then forget it.

Pro Shop guy on phone: "HI, I'm calling to let you know your Avalanche travel team warm-up suit is now complete and ready for you to pick up at your convienance."

Customer: "He was there yesterday."

Pro Shop guy: "Ok, he can get it tomorrow."

Hockey mom at front counter with son says to employee: " Could we see those Easton socks?"

"Ok"

Hockey mom to son: "ok, now tell me if you like these and we will order them online."

palmface.jpg

hate that crap. DS, have you guys thought of making a sheet explaining online purchases cost + shipping + handling compared to your price + service + proper fit + etc? its helped us quite a bit this year, although you always have those people who will always use a LHS as a fitting service, it definately cuts down on that amount of people that do that.

the other day someone came in, argued the price of clothing, we proved that their price plus this amazing shipping price he could supposedly get was 1 dollar cheaper than us. He made us knock off the dollar or he wasn't getting it.

Here's one for you, same kind of thing. Coach coordinates a "Special" Team helmet deal using a LHS that's about 45 mi from where the players live and skate. Then tells them that my store and other nearby store have the helmets in stock, so use us as the "fitting" location. He even goes as far as posting this on the organization's website, directing them to come here. WTF? After the first 2 people came by to get "fitted", and one spilled the beans, we cut that off pretty quick. Sad thing is that if the coach has asked us about getting the helmets, we could have offered the same team discount.

the other day someone came in, argued the price of clothing, we proved that their price plus this amazing shipping price he could supposedly get was 1 dollar cheaper than us. He made us knock off the dollar or he wasn't getting it.

This area has a lot of people that are notoriously tight like that. Had a guy that was comparing prices against an online store for skates. Both us and the online store were selling at MAP but the fact that they were offering free shipping made them $12 cheaper. When I pointed out baking and sharpening costs, he said that he would just put them in a bucket of hot water instead of baking them and our first time sharpening was $10, so he was still ahead $2. The fact that he had to wait a week and was going to damage the skates by putting them in a bucket of hot water didn't matter to him as long as he saved the $2. Sure enough, a month later his kids skates were falling apart and he expected us to handle the warranty for him. Since he was the kind of guy that was always telling people not to buy from us and where they could save a buck here or there, we politely declined to handle his warranty claim and directed him to the place where he bought the skates. His kind ended up skating in rental skates for two months while he argued with everyone about the claim. Sad thing for the kid is that we had a pair in his size and he never would have missed a minute of a game. Instead, we ended up selling them to someone from another team that was in town for a game. The kid liked our sharpening so much, dad bought another pair of steel and would drive over an hour every couple weeks just to have us sharpen the skates.