Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Had a guy come into the shop and grab a helmet because he forgot his. Skated in it for his beer league game. I couldn't say anything...because he works here and outranks me. What the hell? We have an entire room of loaner gear in the rink, why grab an $80 V08? I left before he came off the ice, so I don't know if he bought it or put it back or what, but thats just ridiculous.

Edited by dsjunior1388

Had a guy come into the shop and grab a helmet because he forgot his. Skated in it for his beer league game. I couldn't say anything...because he works here and outranks me. What the hell? We have an entire room of loaner gear in the rink, why grab an $80 V08? I left before he came off the ice, so I don't know if he bought it or put it back or what, but thats just ridiculous.

Putting it back on the rack as a new helmet isn't legal.

Chadd, I had a guy come back with an X:60 girdle last week. "OH, I wore it around the house and it feels too high on me above the waist." "ok, try on the next smallest size." While he is doing that I look inside the girdle on the sewn-in tag where I place our price/sku sticker. I can tell by looking at the ink that the pants were worn to play in. His sweat stain has faded the ink! Do I say anything? No, I'm not going to call him out but jeez, buddy don't lie to me. I hate that part of the bs more than anything. I'm going totally postal on my last day in this business!!

Had a guy come in to the store last week around monday, asked if he could try on a pair of total ones, so i go to the back and get him his size 9.5 and he says "oh these are perfect, ill buy them but i cant pay all at once can i pay you 100$ every month?" and then he went on to ask about some deal he heard that if he bought a pair of total ones he would receive a free total one stick needless to say he left the store cursing in anger because we said no.

Chadd, I had a guy come back with an X:60 girdle last week. "OH, I wore it around the house and it feels too high on me above the waist." "ok, try on the next smallest size." While he is doing that I look inside the girdle on the sewn-in tag where I place our price/sku sticker. I can tell by looking at the ink that the pants were worn to play in. His sweat stain has faded the ink! Do I say anything? No, I'm not going to call him out but jeez, buddy don't lie to me. I hate that part of the bs more than anything. I'm going totally postal on my last day in this business!!

Are you retiring? or going to another line of business?

Are you retiring? or going to another line of business?

I think he means on his last day at some point in the future he's just going to go bonkers for the hell of it. Which I support.

I know this is kinda off topic and may be in another thread already, but I'm 17 and trying to my first retail job (pure hockey) near me. I play juniors, know a lot about the sport and understand that every twelve year old (despite what their parents say) don't need to be put into total ones.

So basically my question is, for you LHS owners, what are some qualities or things that you like to see in a 17 year old applying for a job at your store? Any tips?

I know this is kinda off topic and may be in another thread already, but I'm 17 and trying to my first retail job (pure hockey) near me. I play juniors, know a lot about the sport and understand that every twelve year old (despite what their parents say) don't need to be put into total ones.

So basically my question is, for you LHS owners, what are some qualities or things that you like to see in a 17 year old applying for a job at your store? Any tips?

You know more than the customer in most cases, but don't let that translate to arrogance or elitism. Be patient with misconceptions and resist the urge to be sarcastic or dismissive.

Knowing hockey is way different than knowing hockey equipment. Think about it, how many helmets has the average adult had in their lives, 3?? Most adults, who have played hockey for decades, don't have a clue how to fit, or adjust a helmet. Also, what's right for you may be wrong for someone else. Have to have an open mind. As a owner, I'm looking for someone like that, someone who can show up on time (always), someone who doesn't text while at work, and someone who is actually going to work hard for their salary. One kid who worked for me actually asked me when I was going to get a couch for the lounge. He worked 4 hrs max.

Because although some think otherwise, you will never know everything in this business.

I agree completely, though that doesn't mean you should ever stop trying to learn.

Patience and a good attitude are key but at 17 you also want to show a lot of maturity and responsibility. Honestly every hiring manager I've known values that over product knowledge.

My philosophy was always to sell the customer what they need, not what you like or what you want to sell. Listen to them, hear what they say, figure out what they mean (ask questions if you need to) and then help them find it. Don't tell them what level or team you play for or how long you've played unless they ask. It isn't about you, it's about them.

To get the job be persistent and show that you want the opportunity. Dress well and look clean. Although that may sound obvious, many never think about it. Have a reference, possibly a coach or teacher that can account for your character as a person.

To get the job be persistent and show that you want the opportunity. Dress well and look clean. Although that may sound obvious, many never think about it. Have a reference, possibly a coach or teacher that can account for your character as a person.

To add a few.. Speak clearly, make good eye contact, be willing to work when needed

To add a few.. Speak clearly, make good eye contact, be willing to work when needed

Bring a little something extra to the table about the business. I think what tipped the scales in my interview was when I suggested the pro shop add a blog to the rink's website to reach out to customers when new product comes in.

When I used to work part time on the weekends @ a buddy's LHS, long ago...

1. Flexing of the sticks, I wasn't even aware of this until I became guilty of it myself in the past. I did it once at a store in the Mall of America with a CCM 110....heard a little "snap" in the stick. (I was much younger and dumber back then). I put the stick back and quickly walked out of the store. Yeah, I know jackass move but I can admit it.

2. When parents try to go for the cheapest possible gear for their children. Hearing "What's the cheapest helmet you've got?" pisses me off. Granted, I used to talk parents into buying top-of-the-line Easton sticks for their kids when they only intended on buying a wooden stick when they came in. LOL (I can sell salt to a slug)

3. People bringing in soaking wet skates. That's more of a "take care of your shit" sort of thing but I hated touching skates that felt like they were dunked in a pool prior to being brought in.

4. Kids taking actual shots with sticks. I've had some kids take a stick, walk to the back of the store where a net happened to be, and take a few shots with a stick they have no intention of buying...

5. People complaining that a price is cheaper online. They forget to take into account Shipping & Handling charges too I guess.

Edited by mug25

4. Kids taking actual shots with sticks. I've had some kids take a stick, walk to the back of the store where a net happened to be, and take a few shots with a stick they have no intention of buying...

I never really understood why almost all LHS have a huge rack of sticks, I think one sample of each model is enough to check the stick and keep the rest of them in the back in their plastic bag, no need to show all different patterns, flexes (people know what it looks like). Sometime it is a mission to find the perfectly new stick untouched without any tiny scrach or whatever.

It might sound crazy but when I crack +100USD on a stick I want it absolutely new in its original packaging sealed, don't want to get a piece that 100people have already touched, flexed, waved up, .... although I know it doesn't affect the stick at all.

Edited by Vathsdrop

I never really understood why almost all LHS have a huge rack of sticks, I think one sample of each model is enough to check the stick and keep the rest of them in the back in their plastic bag, no need to show all different patterns, flexes (people know what it looks like). Sometime it is a mission to find the perfectly new stick untouched without any tiny scrach or whatever.

It might sound crazy but when I crack +100USD on a stick I want it absolutely new in its original packaging sealed, don't want to get a piece that 100people have already touched, flexed, waved up, .... although I know it doesn't affect the stick at all.

It's like buying a new car...the moment you notice your first "shopping cart dent" when coming out of Target you feel different about the car :(