Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Straight swap of same holders: $25 per holder, $1 per rivet, $2 per copper. Free sharpening.

Different swap : $25 per holder, $25 labor, $1 per rivet, $2 per copper. Free sharpening.

depends on the situation for how labor intensive. If its a straight swap (like for like) its pretty easy. If i have to install a new holder then it can be a pain in the ass, as it involves drilling, etc.

Typically, i'd charge $75-$100 including the holders.

I agree that sometimes the condition of the skates factors into the charge. Trying to fix/repair/replace holder on some guys skates is like trying to raise the Titanic. If you haven't taken care of your skates, I am not Jesus. I cannot bring your skates back from the dead. :biggrin:

What hollow do you use?

And what hollow is that?

Not everyone uses the same hollow at that level

ok, our "deep cut" is 3/8", that way if you need to adjust you now know the measurement

a week later the guy returns

You're 6'+ and over 225 pounds are you sure you want a deeper cut?

(thinks to self, not this shit again. God, please strike me down right here and now)

And what hollow is that?

(thinks to self: what a friggin idiot)

I'm sorry I won't do that, it's too dangerous for these ice conditions

it's also my responsibility to prevent you from injuring yourself

Have a nice day

THIS MADE MY DAY, thank you for posting it hahaha

Thanks for the replies. I'm debating installing LS2's onto new Graf G35's and was quoted at $60 for the pair plus the cost of the holders. Just wanted to see if I should look for a different shop to take them too as that seemed high.

Well, apparently people are stealing the weighted butt-ends out of EQ50's now. Just went to get my skates sharpened and noticed 5 or 6 EQ50's without the butt-ends. Notified one of the fellas working there and they were pissed...I'd take all of the butt ends out and put them behind the counter, only give them to the person when they buy the stick.

Well, apparently people are stealing the weighted butt-ends out of EQ50's now. Just went to get my skates sharpened and noticed 5 or 6 EQ50's without the butt-ends. Notified one of the fellas working there and they were pissed...I'd take all of the butt ends out and put them behind the counter, only give them to the person when they buy the stick.

Yah we thought of that as soon as we even heard about the butt ends before the sticks came out. We put all the buttends in a box in the back and give them to the customer when they get the stick.

The only exception being the stick in the EQ50 display, we left that one in there.

Good idea.

By the way, I was trained to ask an open ended question when customers came in. Instead of "can I help you find anything?" ask "what brings you in today?" I'm sure the marketing dept spent millions of dollars to find the psychology behind that, but the idea is to get them talking instead of grunting at you.

opening has everything to do with business development and nothing to do with marketing. if a customer walks into a store, the marketing department has done their job. once the customer is in the door, lets hope the sales manager has done theirs. there are all sorts of weird calculated tricks to open the sale that work wonders on consumers and for the most part, they weren't grown in a lab.

Edited by shotty

depends on the situation for how labor intensive. If its a straight swap (like for like) its pretty easy. If i have to install a new holder then it can be a pain in the ass, as it involves drilling, etc.

Typically, i'd charge $75-$100 including the holders.

Great to know what the deals my LHS gives. 150 to replace holder and steel. But then again, I'm not gonna argue. They've got great service and they take care of you. Hard to put a price on that.

We should have a book study on How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Granted, it has become sort of a creepy business cult thing, but the book itself is great read. It will help solve your "There's a customer in front of me who is creeping me out because he isn't talking" thing.

Great to know what the deals my LHS gives. 150 to replace holder and steel. But then again, I'm not gonna argue. They've got great service and they take care of you. Hard to put a price on that.

well its a hard thing to price really. Like DS said above, when someone brings in skates that are beat to shit, the repair job becomes that much more difficult (expensive) The bottom line is that when these repairs come in, the customer is not only paying for parts, they are paying for my time.

well its a hard thing to price really. Like DS said above, when someone brings in skates that are beat to shit, the repair job becomes that much more difficult (expensive) The bottom line is that when these repairs come in, the customer is not only paying for parts, they are paying for my time.

Definitely. And like I said too, they give phenomenal service. Like I'll walk in looking for tape, and they'll ask me how everything is, if my equipment's okay, how's the family. Sure it could be part business or trying to make a sale, but they take care of you and all that.

And just a question, how are lhs' actually gonna sell Eq50's without the end plug? I'd think those are still sellable, it only lacks the end. Or would they just be better off contacting their sales rep.

We took all the end plugs off before we put them out. Heck, they steal the plastic plugs, not going to give them a chance at the weighted ones. I warned Easton about this months ago and recommended they put a shrink wrap cover on the end, but no...., that would cost .02 more.

We took all the end plugs off before we put them out. Heck, they steal the plastic plugs, not going to give them a chance at the weighted ones. I warned Easton about this months ago and recommended they put a shrink wrap cover on the end, but no...., that would cost .02 more.

People would rip off the wrap. It would take an extra second or two but they would still rip it off.

opening has everything to do with business development and nothing to do with marketing. if a customer walks into a store, the marketing department has done their job. once the customer is in the door, lets hope the sales manager has done theirs. there are all sorts of weird calculated tricks to open the sale that work wonders on consumers and for the most part, they weren't grown in a lab.

I have to disagree with you that. As a marketer, you want to get them in the store, have them buy/experience the product, be satisfied with the product, and make future purchases or recommendations. Getting someone to simply walk into a store is only half the battle. You want to build loyalty first and foremost as a loyal customer will come back and buy your product and will more than likely recommend that product to others. Word of mouth recommendations also happen to have a very significant effect on influencing peoples decisions. You don't need to sell someone something to build loyalty as you can demonstrate your knowledge and social skills which will attract customers who seek those characteristics.

I have to disagree with you that. As a marketer, you want to get them in the store, have them buy/experience the product, be satisfied with the product, and make future purchases or recommendations. Getting someone to simply walk into a store is only half the battle. You want to build loyalty first and foremost as a loyal customer will come back and buy your product and will more than likely recommend that product to others. Word of mouth recommendations also happen to have a very significant effect on influencing peoples decisions. You don't need to sell someone something to build loyalty as you can demonstrate your knowledge and social skills which will attract customers who seek those characteristics.

actually in these economic times, i think more people are concerned about price before service and loyalty

Thanks for the heads up Jimmy. I talked to our owner about this and we put a few layers of packing tape over each plug. That and the fact that the high end sticks are right in front of the register should help defer theft.

actually in these economic times, i think more people are concerned about price before service and loyalty

It's also the same attitude that helped cause the current economic problems.

It's also the same attitude that helped cause the current economic problems.

then you're saying that we're perpetually going to be in a continuous state of economic recession (a trough) because it is the penny pinchers that cause the problems in the first place and it will be them that cannot get us out of it either. How optimistic...

Solution? more gov't spending, subsidize ice time please

then you're saying that we're perpetually going to be in a continuous state of economic recession (a trough) because it is the penny pinchers that cause the problems in the first place and it will be them that cannot get us out of it either. How optimistic...

Buying something that costs a couple bucks less and is made overseas instead of domestic product is certainly part of it. The "I got mine" philosophy goes from buying household goods to major items to stocks.

As for optimism, I've been saying for years that an optimist can never be pleasantly surprised. If you always expect things to go perfectly, you will be disappointed more often than not.

I assume you are speaking of LHS industry specific economic problems

Not really, but that's getting pretty far off topic. I apologize for that.

Can people actually pull them out? Today was the first time I saw them in person and after reading this thread I tried to pull it out just to see it but it seems to me like you would need a heatgun to get it out.