Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Please elaborate. No one buys a top of the line, late model stick for nearly the same price as the newest version.

I really am a big fan of a few of the older OPS's and Shaft/blades. I wish more people stocked them, or had leftovers. I can't find a replacement for my tri-core even on ebay. That being said if I went to my LHS and saw last years model next to this year's model and there was only a $10-15 difference I'd get the newer one 9 times out of 10. There are exceptions to that rule though. I'd give my left arm(not literally) for another pair of vapor 8 skates or a tri-core shaft in whip, even if they were overpriced.

However it really is bad business to try and make too much money off of 'last year's model.' I understand that there's very little overhead on some pieces of gear, but there comes a point where you may not make a profit on something, and a customer may just buy it if you give them a good deal.

I got my 08 model 6k profeel taper shaft for $50. Peranis was happy to get rid of it, and I really love it. It's a great shaft. Newer isn't always better.

I really am a big fan of a few of the older OPS's and Shaft/blades. I wish more people stocked them, or had leftovers. I can't find a replacement for my tri-core even on ebay. That being said if I went to my LHS and saw last years model next to this year's model and there was only a $10-15 difference I'd get the newer one 9 times out of 10. There are exceptions to that rule though. I'd give my left arm(not literally) for another pair of vapor 8 skates or a tri-core shaft in whip, even if they were overpriced.

However it really is bad business to try and make too much money off of 'last year's model.' I understand that there's very little overhead on some pieces of gear, but there comes a point where you may not make a profit on something, and a customer may just buy it if you give them a good deal.

I got my 08 model 6k profeel taper shaft for $50. Peranis was happy to get rid of it, and I really love it. It's a great shaft. Newer isn't always better.

I agree that there are exceptions to the rule (a Stealth CNT could still demand full retail) but 85% of the time its not happening.

Edited by dsjunior1388

too many people don't understand this concept.

I agree that there are exceptions to the rule (a Stealth CNT could still demand full retail) but 85% of the time its not happening.

you went from "no one" to 85%... thats decent progress. hahaha. its a number you pulled out of your @$$, but still ;). as other members have posted, there's diehards, there's uninformed and there's customers who see the $10 difference as a deal maker. there's also a difference between booking a loser item and having 0% sell thru at sticker price than refusing to mark down your last handful of units that had great sell thru. the kronik is a great product and there is no reason to mark it down unless the shop owner needs the cash flow. additionally, marking down products trains your customers to wait for sales. some shop owners (who have the luxury of time and space) refuse to adjust pricing altogether.

i've seen pricelists for top end sticks, there isnt as much gross margin in there as I had expected, and as most consumers think there is. i work in high end fashion and some of the consumers that walk through my showroom at sample sales think that the mark up is 300%, and when i sell the samples at wholesale or just below it, they think i'm lying.

Edited by shotty

My lhs marked down their cnts to 165 if I remember correctly. Their one95s are 235 and they have a xxxx for around 190. They mark their stuff down to alittle less than the prices you see online originally after it just becomes outdated. Now that the cnts are a few years old they dropped them lower. They always sell the stuff so I guess the owners strategy works!

you went from "no one" to 85%... thats decent progress. hahaha. its a number you pulled out of your @$$, but still ;). as other members have posted, there's diehards, there's uninformed and there's customers who see the $10 difference as a deal maker. there's also a difference between booking a loser item and having 0% sell thru at sticker price than refusing to mark down your last handful of units that had great sell thru. the kronik is a great product and there is no reason to mark it down unless the shop owner needs the cash flow. additionally, marking down products trains your customers to wait for sales. some shop owners (who have the luxury of time and space) refuse to adjust pricing altogether.

i've seen pricelists for top end sticks, there isnt as much gross margin in there as I had expected, and as most consumers think there is. i work in high end fashion and some of the consumers that walk through my showroom at sample sales think that the mark up is 300%, and when i sell the samples at wholesale or just below it, they think i'm lying.

Lol, well obviously it's not "no one" because I'm one of them. If I could find another 85 flex gold AK shaft I'd buy it, but there impossible to find. That goes for a few other products too.

In this business, like any business, the guys who know everything are a very small sliver of the customers. The bulk of customers assume the newest model is improved and will choose that unless the price difference is very much in their favor.

And as everyone knows, 77% of facts are made up on the spot. :laugh:

Just really depends on the person. Two months ago I was at a busy LHS and saw two (and the only two left) SE16 grips left in their stick section (just so happened to both be in my curve and flex). Both marked down to $129. Good deal for that stick, for sure. Unfortunately, had no money at the time to get them. Went back this past week, and BOTH of them were still there. Couldn't believe it! AND they were marked down another 20%, so effectively they were $100 a piece. Just goes to show that some people don't see a good deal when it's right in front of their face.

Yes, I bought both. I'm not that stupid.

Just really depends on the person. Two months ago I was at a busy LHS and saw two (and the only two left) SE16 grips left in their stick section (just so happened to both be in my curve and flex). Both marked down to $129. Good deal for that stick, for sure. Unfortunately, had no money at the time to get them. Went back this past week, and BOTH of them were still there. Couldn't believe it! AND they were marked down another 20%, so effectively they were $100 a piece. Just goes to show that some people don't see a good deal when it's right in front of their face.

Yes, I bought both. I'm not that stupid.

Maybe the others aren't stupid. Quite possibly, they didn't have the funds at the time, no different than you. By your logic, if someone else would have bought the sticks, you would've been stupid.

I called over 30 LHS in the state of Michigan and managed to find exactly one.

Be nice you two. You both have valid points, there's no need to turn this thread into a courtroom scene from the 90's. Let's continue to let the shop employees and customers share there experiences without the need for bickering. Please?

My LHS has really gotten on my nerves. Most of their staff are high school hockey players (don't even get me started on them)and they basically sit behind the counter and act like customers dont exist while they are busy texting or talking about partying.

Really disappointing

My LHS has really gotten on my nerves. Most of their staff are high school hockey players (don't even get me started on them)and they basically sit behind the counter and act like customers dont exist while they are busy texting or talking about partying.

Really disappointing

Unfortunately this is the case anywhere teenagers work (for the most part)

Maybe the others aren't stupid. Quite possibly, they didn't have the funds at the time, no different than you. By your logic, if someone else would have bought the sticks, you would've been stupid.

Didn't mean anyone was stupid. It was just sarcasm. Maybe you've heard of it.

I know I've done plenty of stupid stuff in my life. Plenty of stupid stuff left to do. It was just a sarcastic comment.

Let's play nice and get back to LHS talk!

Edited by jjleip11

Pass, talk to the manager/owner. Let your opinion be heard. You'd be amazed at how many managers really have no idea what is going on

this is the best advice. manager might have a hunch that hius staff are slackers, but when a customer confirms it, its time to take action.

there's a few shops that i wont go into because they constantly have this issue.

Edited by shotty

Working Skate Rental. For women, we have traditional figure skates, and the recreational style skate with figure blades.

Me: "Hi, what size shoe do you wear."

Dumb High School Girl "10s."

Me" "Ok, I need your shoes by the way."

DHSG " Can I get, like, the white skates."

Me "Sorry, we don't have those in a 10."

DHSG "Umm...do you have a 9?"

Me "Nope, sorry. 8-11 we only have these red kind."

DHSG "Ugh, those are so not cute."

Me : ...

DHSG "Umm, what about a 7? Do you have white ones for that?"

Me "Yeah."

DHSG "Can I get those?"

Me: "No. I can go one up or one down. Otherwise we have liability issues."

DHSG "Can I like, pick some out from the store and rent those?"

Me: "No. you can buy them, but those arent rentals."

DHSG "Whats the difference?"

Me "About 50 bucks, give or take."

DHSG. "Huh?"

Me: "Size ten figure skates."

DHSG "Whatever. These are hideous."

Me: "Have fun, who's next."

Next Customer (her friend) "I wear a 7."

DHSG: "F@#%! BULL$#*^"

this is the best advice. manager might have a hunch that hius staff are slackers, but when a customer confirms it, its time to take action.

there's a few shops that i wont go into because they constantly have this issue.

Which shops Shotty? Probably you don't regularly go to the shops in the lower mainland but there's like 2-3 teenagers and lucky for me they know their stuff and like to work.

Just a plus to my LHS. They just keep me coming back for more. Came in looking for presents for the family, walked out with some shoulder pads. Came in the next day, picked up a jersey and I'm going back today or tomorrow for some shin pads. Great service, love these guys, just offering good prices with Christmas and the whole loyalty factor.

Working Skate Rental. For women, we have traditional figure skates, and the recreational style skate with figure blades.

Me: "Hi, what size shoe do you wear."

Dumb High School Girl "10s."

Me" "Ok, I need your shoes by the way."

DHSG " Can I get, like, the white skates."

Me "Sorry, we don't have those in a 10."

DHSG "Umm...do you have a 9?"

Me "Nope, sorry. 8-11 we only have these red kind."

DHSG "Ugh, those are so not cute."

Me : ...

DHSG "Umm, what about a 7? Do you have white ones for that?"

Me "Yeah."

DHSG "Can I get those?"

Me: "No. I can go one up or one down. Otherwise we have liability issues."

DHSG "Can I like, pick some out from the store and rent those?"

Me: "No. you can buy them, but those arent rentals."

DHSG "Whats the difference?"

Me "About 50 bucks, give or take."

DHSG. "Huh?"

Me: "Size ten figure skates."

DHSG "Whatever. These are hideous."

Me: "Have fun, who's next."

Next Customer (her friend) "I wear a 7."

DHSG: "F@#%! BULL$#*^"

The surprising thing is that the friend actually paid attention

So I'm standing in my LHS waiting for my skates to be sharpened when a little kid 10 yrs old tops and his dad walk in. The kid probably 80 pounds walks straight to the sticks and picks up an Easton Classic shaft.

Kid:"Dad I need to buy this it's aluminum, Brendan Shanahan used one"(the shaft is taller than the kid probably 110 flex)

Dad:"OK just find a blade" (kid walks over to blades)

Me: you probably shouldn't buy that for him, he won't be able to flex it.

Dad: Could you stay out of my business

Me: Sorry, just trying to help(walk to get my skates and leave)

As I'm driving off I see them walk out with it, wow.