Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

"92 players in the NHL wear graf skates.... My cousin plays in the NHL and was telling me how they do it.. they take a graf boot and apply the decals of CCM U whatever"

"There's a reason most linesmen and refs in the NHL wear graf skates... they're the best"

"92 players in the NHL wear graf skates.... My cousin plays in the NHL and was telling me how they do it.. they take a graf boot and apply the decals of CCM U whatever"

"There's a reason most linesmen and refs in the NHL wear graf skates... they're the best"

Can't deny! ahah

Thinks he's getting one of these:

Chicago%20Blackhawks%2081%20Marian%20Hossa%20Authentic%20Red%20Home%20NHL%20Jersey.jpg

But is really getting this:

Chicago-Blackhawks-jerseys-2C-2381-Hossa-Red-Jersey-5239-85542.jpg

This is so true and funny at the same time. One of the guys I play with got some other guys to buy some of these knock off jerseys. When they came in I couldn't help but laugh to myself but also comment to each one of them, "so did you gain weight recently". They looked so stupid in their "large" jerseys that were actually smalls and fit like tights. SO funny looking. What a waste of money.

I went to Charlotte to visit a friend who runs an LHS down there and visited a few hockey shops in the area, as usual kids in their teens think they are hands down the best experts in the sport.

Kid was talking to a guy looking at sticks:

"Well if you're 6' 2" and 200 lbs you need a stick with the low flex so they shoot faster, too bad you can't use what Chara uses"

"I don't like Easton skates, they make them from the same factory that their baseball bats come from and I found wood chips in mine"

and last but not least:

"The reason composite blades cost more is since you can bend them left or right, just have to leave them in oven then sit books on them"

I really wanted to intervene on this one, but the guy earlier took my parking spot (I sat there entire time was waiting for car to pull out) and cut me off mid sentence when I was inquiring on repalming gloves.

haha the guy actually bought the blades with that info too

Something that amuses me:

love how some customers find it necessary to ask if I play hockey...

Well no Sir/Ma'am, otherwise I wouldn't been able to sell you those skates, gloves, elbows, shins, pants, helmet and stick

... it's cause I'm asian isn't it? :laugh: doesn't matter if I work at a place called Hockey EXPERTS either hehe :facepalm:

Well no Sir/Ma'am, otherwise I wouldn't been able to sell you those skates, gloves, elbows, shins, pants, helmet and stick

... it's cause I'm asian isn't it? :laugh: doesn't matter if I work at a place called Hockey EXPERTS either hehe :facepalm:

Actually at some stores that is a valid question. Some places hire people with no knowledge or don't play(or beginner player) and train them on product/fitting, etc. (or we hope they train them well) A good salesperson can sell any product/service with right training,knowledge and attitude. It does help if they can relate on a personal level though; builds customer's trust and confidence in you.

Actually at some stores that is a valid question. Some places hire people with no knowledge or don't play(or beginner player) and train them on product/fitting, etc. (or we hope they train them well) A good salesperson can sell any product/service with right training,knowledge and attitude. It does help if they can relate on a personal level though; builds customer's trust and confidence in you.

Knowledge isn't limited to people that play. I love the people that assume because someone played a higher level of hockey that they automatically know more about equipment. "Well, XXX played in the NHL (18 games) so he must know everything about equipment." When in reality "XXX" has no idea what lie means on a stick, other than whatever it takes to sell the product.

Knowledge isn't limited to people that play. I love the people that assume because someone played a higher level of hockey that they automatically know more about equipment. "Well, XXX played in the NHL (18 games) so he must know everything about equipment." When in reality "XXX" has no idea what lie means on a stick, other than whatever it takes to sell the product.

While I agree, I do believe that someone who has played with experience will know some things or can at least offer a different perspective than someone who is trained. I think I know a fair bit about hockey but I never played contact so I could not give proper insight about how shoulder pads hitting comfort or equipment's reaction to contact.

While I agree, I do believe that someone who has played with experience will know some things or can at least offer a different perspective than someone who is trained. I think I know a fair bit about hockey but I never played contact so I could not give proper insight about how shoulder pads hitting comfort or equipment's reaction to contact.

Sure, some players are able to do that. Unfortunately, the majority will just tell people to use whatever they use or whatever is "the best". Very few hockey shop employees do a good job evaluating the needs of the customer and actually directing them to the gear that best meets their needs.

"I used these elbow pads when I played minor hockey when I was younger"

"Oh, you played? Where did you play?"

"I played for ABC out of XYZ"

"Great, we'll take them"

Edited by interpathway

They could also have those attitudes formed by other retailers' clueless salespeople. Shopping for computers at "big box" stores comes to mind, as just one example.

I, however, would know better. I've played hockey with at least one Asian in my 57 years.

Sure, some players are able to do that. Unfortunately, the majority will just tell people to use whatever they use or whatever is "the best". Very few hockey shop employees do a good job evaluating the needs of the customer and actually directing them to the gear that best meets their needs.

Agreed, but it's still always amusing to hear stories about their past experiences at other stores. Doesn't help that some people insist on Bauer from the get go while avoiding Reebok like the plague just because they've heard 'bad things'.

Agree with Axxion as well. I've never played contact nor have had a visor nor do I play goalie. That's why for the contact issue I go wityh mid/high level gear that fits and for visors/goal, you defer to your guys that know it better :)

They could also have those attitudes formed by other retailers' clueless salespeople. Shopping for computers at "big box" stores comes to mind, as just one example.

I, however, would know better. I've played hockey with at least one Asian in my 57 years.

LOL was he any good? :biggrin:

that's why one shouldn't judge a book by its cover...but everyone does to an extent anyways :dry:

I've been asked that question many times in my career.

What's their response when you say you've worked for NHL teams in equipment?

Or do you just respond ''yes''?

I think customers ask that to somehow ensure themselves that the person selling them product actually knows what hockey (or any other sport) is about.

However it is quite redundant to ask that kind of question in a store that sells for only one sport. In Scheels? I'd understand that, in Ma & Pa Hockey Store? No. Pretty sure you're not working in a hockey specific store if you've never played or your kid isn't playing. I at least haven't heard of that.

We have had teen-age girls work in the shop who never played hockey or skated but were excellent at sales. Once they were trained they had plenty of product knowledge to do a head-to-toe fitting, including skates.

What's their response when you say you've worked for NHL teams in equipment?

Or do you just respond ''yes''?

Depends on how I feel that day.

The best was when I was in MI and some dude tried to return worn shinpads and turned around and said I was a stupid nigger who probably has never played hockey.

Those situations, you're actually calm. LOL

when people are beyond rude, I find that smiling back at them really upsets them.....because then they really don't know what you're thinking........

Here's a situation for you guys. I saw online that PureHockey was running a sale on Flexlite 4.0 skates for $250, but they were sold out (sorry I was going to buy online but I couldn't pass up that deal) So I call around to all the PureHockey stores within reasonable driving distance from me and ask if they have any in stock. Find one that says they do have them and in plenty of sizes. I say ok, and are they still $250, I saw your ad online. "Let me go check". Puts down the phone, comes back a few minutes later, "actually they are only $189." So I said oh really, wow, the 4.0 are only that much? are you sure they're the 4.0's because thats around what the 3.0's go for. He says yep, bauer flexlite 4.0. So I say ok, can you hold a pair in 10.5 for me? "We have plenty so you should be all set" So I say alright, I'll be in later today.

So I drive an hour and 15 minutes to the shop, walk in, go to the skate rack, see zero flexlite 4.0, but 3.0's for 189. So someone comes to help me and I ask if they have 4.0's in the back somewhere, I talked to someone on the phone who said you did. So I'm thinking, maybe the guy just messed up the pricing and I'd be more than happy to pay the 250 I was expecting. He goes and checks and tells me they don't have any but they'll have them in before next season. Great. So I say alright, well someone told me on the phone you had them and I just drove over an hour to buy those skates. He didn't seem very concerned so he asked if there was anything else I'd like to look at.

So of course I'm upset that I drove all that way and thinking about just walking out but I do need new skates and apparantly the flexlites were off the table now, so I ended up getting fitted and buying some reebok 7ks. I was pleased with them, but still obviously pissed that the kid still assured me they had those skates, for that price and I drove over an hour, only to find out that he either a) took a quick glance, saw flexlite and figured "same skate", or b) thought that I didn't know what I was talking about and wouldn't know the difference between a 3.0 or 4.0.

I realize this probably belongs in the "Things LHS do" thread, but I just want to see what the opinion from the other side. I don't know if I was dealing with the same kid in store as I did on the phone, but what would you guys do if you had made that mistake?

kid is an idiot you talked to.

Said what he had to say to get you to come in. Or he is just that stupid to tell the difference. In that situation I would have offered to get 4.0s in for you, and sell them to you at that price. Kid messed up, and from the sounds of it, might have lost a customer for future business. If you mess up that badly you need to do what you have to do to make the situation right.

Here's a situation for you guys. I saw online that PureHockey was running a sale on Flexlite 4.0 skates for $250, but they were sold out (sorry I was going to buy online but I couldn't pass up that deal) So I call around to all the PureHockey stores within reasonable driving distance from me and ask if they have any in stock. Find one that says they do have them and in plenty of sizes. I say ok, and are they still $250, I saw your ad online. "Let me go check". Puts down the phone, comes back a few minutes later, "actually they are only $189." So I said oh really, wow, the 4.0 are only that much? are you sure they're the 4.0's because thats around what the 3.0's go for. He says yep, bauer flexlite 4.0. So I say ok, can you hold a pair in 10.5 for me? "We have plenty so you should be all set" So I say alright, I'll be in later today.

So I drive an hour and 15 minutes to the shop, walk in, go to the skate rack, see zero flexlite 4.0, but 3.0's for 189. So someone comes to help me and I ask if they have 4.0's in the back somewhere, I talked to someone on the phone who said you did. So I'm thinking, maybe the guy just messed up the pricing and I'd be more than happy to pay the 250 I was expecting. He goes and checks and tells me they don't have any but they'll have them in before next season. Great. So I say alright, well someone told me on the phone you had them and I just drove over an hour to buy those skates. He didn't seem very concerned so he asked if there was anything else I'd like to look at.

So of course I'm upset that I drove all that way and thinking about just walking out but I do need new skates and apparantly the flexlites were off the table now, so I ended up getting fitted and buying some reebok 7ks. I was pleased with them, but still obviously pissed that the kid still assured me they had those skates, for that price and I drove over an hour, only to find out that he either a) took a quick glance, saw flexlite and figured "same skate", or b) thought that I didn't know what I was talking about and wouldn't know the difference between a 3.0 or 4.0.

I realize this probably belongs in the "Things LHS do" thread, but I just want to see what the opinion from the other side. I don't know if I was dealing with the same kid in store as I did on the phone, but what would you guys do if you had made that mistake?

...which is exactly why I ALWAYS get the name of the person I speak with, give them my name, note the date & time, and let them know I'll be asking for them when I go to the store, who to ask for if they aren't there and ask they let this person know I'm coming.

Believe me, I learned early on in my retail career (not hockey related) to do this on my end so when someone came in I spoke with, I took care of them, got the sale (usually) and built the relationship with them.

Wow that is very messed up, same thing happened with me looking for a Total One and they said they had them for $169 which I thought was a good deal, and I specified I wanted Pro Flex.

I get to the shop and turns out he was looking at the Jr size sticks, and was some kid covering for the owner's son.

I don't get why this is so hard to do.