Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Good to know a little "window shopping" type looking around (at bigger items, when buying smaller items) is no biggie, and I definitely make sure to just keep to myself while doing so, not wasting anyone's time. I'd feel like quite a dbag using a shop as a fitting service for skates only to buy them online, but definitely not surprised it happens, a lot of people have no shame.

Agreed, and I think I'd try to be up front if I knew I wasn't buying immediately (for skates especially), and I'd ask for the persons name and/or business card so I could ask for them when I come back in. I would very rarely buy something in the hundreds of dollars on my first visit to the store (sometimes it will take two or three before I pull the trigger), and the last thing I'd want to be is "that guy" who wastes peoples time.

Sold a stick last weekend, it was paid for, and I cut it down for the kid.

As the kid is walking out of the store, he does a double take, and notices that it was a lefty... He's a righty.

I cut 1 inch off the stick, so I decided to just exchange it for a righty so the dad doesn't have to spend another 100 dollars. He was extremely grateful, and even though he buys probably half of his gear from us, he swore that every thing his kid needed it would be from us from now on (the kid is 9, so that's another 10 years of sales :) )

I figured at worst I'll eat 20 bucks off this stick - worth it IMO to getting a customer for life. As luck has it, I get a call asking if we had so and so in stock, and that if we have a saw on hand as this kid is short.

Was perfect for them. Everything went better then expected. :) Maybe I need to buy a lotto ticket haha.

Wow... I wouldn't have expected a store to EVER do such a thing. That's really awesome! This would absolutely win my business for life.

Agree with the comments regarding last-minute purchases. I've sold quite a bit to folks coming in the shop at 855 pm when we close at 9...doesn't bother me one bit cause I love working there :)

@ ponder : absolutely no problem with window shoppers, as long as (like JR said) they don't go messing up our displays and stuff, just a minor annoyance. IMO though, I hope the window shopper doesn't get annoyed when one or two sales people approach them. Either the SAs didn't communicate to each other that the person was just browsing, or were just there to double check on the customer. Things could change and every person walking in is a potential sale.

Agree with the comments regarding last-minute purchases. I've sold quite a bit to folks coming in the shop at 855 pm when we close at 9...doesn't bother me one bit cause I love working there :)

@ ponder : absolutely no problem with window shoppers, as long as (like JR said) they don't go messing up our displays and stuff, just a minor annoyance. IMO though, I hope the window shopper doesn't get annoyed when one or two sales people approach them. Either the SAs didn't communicate to each other that the person was just browsing, or were just there to double check on the customer. Things could change and every person walking in is a potential sale.

I don't have a problem with salespeople approaching me at all. As long they understand that "no thanks, just taking a look" actually means just that. The correct response is "Okay, let me know if you need anything." I can promise you that that person will be who I approach if I *DO* need something.

Basically, communication is the key here. Intentions should be understood from the beginning. I should make it clear that I'm window shopping, and you should not waste your time on me as a result, aside from perhaps a greeting so I know you're a friendly person to approach if my intentions change from window shopping to potential buyer. Hopefully that makes sense.

I don't have a problem with salespeople approaching me at all. As long they understand that "no thanks, just taking a look" actually means just that. The correct response is "Okay, let me know if you need anything." I can promise you that that person will be who I approach if I *DO* need something.

Basically, communication is the key here. Intentions should be understood from the beginning. I should make it clear that I'm window shopping, and you should not waste your time on me as a result, aside from perhaps a greeting so I know you're a friendly person to approach if my intentions change from window shopping to potential buyer. Hopefully that makes sense.

This is what every do-diligence manager tries to teach their new employees. Unfortunately, the message gets clouded among most kids once they get comfortable in their new job surroundings.

When I see someone looking at the same couple pair of gloves, I would often make a comment about them or try to see if the person needs some help. Even though someone is "just looking" it doesn't mean you can't help them. For me it was always more of a conversation than an attempt to sell a product. Find out what they were looking for or the issues they had with a product and make sure they don't buy the wrong thing for them. The key is to not be overbearing and go for a hard sell all the time. Build a relationship, don't just try to make a sale.

This is what every do-diligence manager tries to teach their new employees. Unfortunately, the message gets clouded among most kids once they get comfortable in their new job surroundings.

Plus, you often have people that want to be an expert on everything.

When I see someone looking at the same couple pair of gloves, I would often make a comment about them or try to see if the person needs some help. Even though someone is "just looking" it doesn't mean you can't help them. For me it was always more of a conversation than an attempt to sell a product. Find out what they were looking for or the issues they had with a product and make sure they don't buy the wrong thing for them. The key is to not be overbearing and go for a hard sell all the time. Build a relationship, don't just try to make a sale.

Agree completely. Just don't make me feel uncomfortable and I'll be okay. Any awkwardness, and I leave.

I like what I bolded in your post.

I prefer to look through stuff by myself, and then talk to a salesperson if I have questions. If no one approaches me until they see me looking around for someone, that's fine with me. If I have to deal with one after the other salesperson approaching me, aggressively trying to "help" me, so I've got no time to even look at stuff, I'll leave. That's something I've come to think of as "attack dog" training I've seen so much at mall stores it seems like they all get it.

The best experience for me is when I'm left alone until I ask for help, then end up talking hockey with the sales guy, who introduces himself, and remembers me on subsequent visits.

Walked into the LHS here (second time in 2 years) and started browsing through the gear. The two sales guys there were obviously more interested in each other, as they were discussing the times they were going to be on ice in the next day. Didnt get a hello or goodbye or even a hint that I existed.

MSH is my LHS

Edited by fatwabbit

Customers (little kids, no intention of buying) who help themselves to Rapidshot with out employee consent/supervision. Yes I know the lock is busted and you can unlock it with a cultivated fingernail, but MUST you grab every top of the line stick and slap them around? :facepalm:

Had a shady looking family (drove beater car, dirty clothes, I could smell beer on the dad) come in looking for skates. There were 4 of them looking for skates. They said they wanted to put these two into hockey (their kids) then ma and pa wanted skates to go out with them. They stated that money was no object, and wanted the best skates they could get.

So I sized all of them up, accordingly in EQ50 Sr and Jr, CL Sr and APX Sr. That's alot of money... Like 2200 or something like that. Anyways after about 45 mintues of sizing them up we go to checkout... He whips out a check. I looked at the check, and it was from how do I word it.. bad? side of town. I had family that lived in the same area.. it was run down. I looked at his ID and all that matched was the last name. I didn't bring that up because the most (unless we know who you are) we accept checks for is $100. I have never seen this family in my life, and definitely wouldn't do that much of a check... I state the $100 maximum and state if he had credit or debit card...

Nope. He asks if we can hold all of these skates for me until saturday (He came in on wednesday at like 1). So I did.. just put them back on the shelf when it was obvious they're not coming in today. The nerve some people have, trying to scam a business, let alone a local one. That check would have either bounced or been reported stolen or something. Just boggles my mind why people do the things that they do.

Had a shady looking family (drove beater car, dirty clothes, I could smell beer on the dad) come in looking for skates. There were 4 of them looking for skates. They said they wanted to put these two into hockey (their kids) then ma and pa wanted skates to go out with them. They stated that money was no object, and wanted the best skates they could get.

So I sized all of them up, accordingly in EQ50 Sr and Jr, CL Sr and APX Sr. That's alot of money... Like 2200 or something like that. Anyways after about 45 mintues of sizing them up we go to checkout... He whips out a check. I looked at the check, and it was from how do I word it.. bad? side of town. I had family that lived in the same area.. it was run down. I looked at his ID and all that matched was the last name. I didn't bring that up because the most (unless we know who you are) we accept checks for is $100. I have never seen this family in my life, and definitely wouldn't do that much of a check... I state the $100 maximum and state if he had credit or debit card...

Nope. He asks if we can hold all of these skates for me until saturday (He came in on wednesday at like 1). So I did.. just put them back on the shelf when it was obvious they're not coming in today. The nerve some people have, trying to scam a business, let alone a local one. That check would have either bounced or been reported stolen or something. Just boggles my mind why people do the things that they do.

Lots of assuming there. Maybe the grandparents or some other family member were the ones actually paying for the skates, but couldn't be there for whatever reason. Way to judge a book by its cover.

You could be 100% right, or you could be 100% wrong, but you don't know. You just chose to come on here and post about what jerks these people from the "bad side of town" are.

Not for nothing but the checks from my side account don't match my current address, either. I use checks so seldomly that it isn't worth the effort to get the address switched on them. As for the rest, well, only you can decide how superficial and prejudicial you can be.

Prejudice things aside, We don't take personal checks from anyone at our business. Been burned too many times with Personal Checks. Business checks only.

THere are companies who do check approvals over the phone. We used Telecheck at my stores in MI. It scanned the check and let you know if it was approved - if so, you write down the approval number and take the check.

THere are companies who do check approvals over the phone. We used Telecheck at my stores in MI. It scanned the check and let you know if it was approved - if so, you write down the approval number and take the check.

We had looked into it awhile ago, but it was like another 20 some odd dollars a month plus fee's per check and my boss refuses to pay anymore fee's for payment processing unless he has too.

Oh I know I was assuming and being prejudice. But the oddity of what they were doing was my warning bell. Even if they came in straight from church I wouldn't have accepted the check.

We have NEVER had a full family come in looking for skates, for beginners no less, wanting anything above low-mid pricing. Even the filthy rich customers that do come in, they would never buy themselves or wife 600 skates. Maybe their kid, definitely not the whole family to use for public skate.

chippa, it wasn't the fact that his address didn't match his license - the name didn't match it either. It was Earl XXXXXX and his name on the license was Junior XXXXXXX. His wife hopefully isn't named Earl, so it was from a different family altogether.

Edited by raganblink

The only exception I make for a personal check is if I know them personally or their kid plays on the travel team in the building. Otherwise, sorry, no personal checks accepted.

We had looked into it awhile ago, but it was like another 20 some odd dollars a month plus fee's per check and my boss refuses to pay anymore fee's for payment processing unless he has too.

Non-hockey related retail store I used to work at had check approval but the store owner had a policy that the check processing fee had to be paid in cash by the customer. You simply can't roll it into the amount of the check due to it perpetually affects the amount the check would need to be.

Interesting side note, I was part of a discussion with some retailers (non-hockey) about implementing a PayPal checkout option in-store. I'll comeback and update if anything develops.

Last year, got a phone call from another LHS giving us pre-warning and a name of guy who wrote bad checks at their place. We stuck it on side of register. Wouldn't you know it, several month later he shows up, tries to buy $1500 of goalie equipment. We stopped taking checks about 4 yrs ago. Just too many scammers, even long time customers and people you think you know well. IMO if you are writing checks now-a-days, something is very fishy. With free debit cards attached to checking accounts, there is absolutely no reason to write a check for a retail purchase.

(snip) IMO if you are writing checks now-a-days, something is very fishy. With free debit cards attached to checking accounts, there is absolutely no reason to write a check for a retail purchase.

I understand your reasoning but respectfully disagree. For security purposes, I keep a low purchase allowance on my debit card. I know other people do not do the same.

Charge cards are different and have different financial protections. Either way, I have access to my financial resources and can cover a "no checks" policy if needed.

In my experience, the only times I have seen people pay with checks are the elderly (for obvious reasons) and middle aged women. Most stores I know have have abandoned accepting personal checks for the reasons that have been stated and retail stores are insured and protected so they will accept the checks to add convenience and satisfy the customer.

I remember when I first moved to the US, I was going to arrive at my new apartment a few days before my truckload of stuff, so I went to walmart looking for a cheap air mattress. I got to the checkout, and the woman in front of me pulled out her checkbook (spelling it wrong on purpose, assuming most here are American), and my only thought was.. whoa... did I just step through a time warp? Is it the 80s here? (Well, I was in Kansas, so generally everything there is stuck in the 80s, but I digress...)

Anyway, just thought it was funny. People out here in California still use checks too. It's kind of mind boggling why you'd do such a thing when the card is faster, easier, safer and shows up in your account immediately. *shrug*

Question for shop owners/managers/employees...

When did it become socially ok for customers to 'negotiate' at the retail level? Maybe I'm old school, or brought up differently, but to me - the price is the price. You can either afford it, or you can't. Example: I heard a guy trying to negotiate in a hockey shop last week on a pair of Eagle PPF gloves that were already heavily discounted, on sale. I'm sure the shop had them marked down as low as they could already. It was really uncomfortable, because the kid was trying to manipulate this shop employee to sell him the gloves simply because he wanted them. He was relentless trying to get a discount.

I wanted to say to the kid: hey, if you only have $80 to spend on gloves, maybe you aren't in the market for PPF gloves. Trying looking at something in your price range. These are hockey shops, not yard sales.