Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Customers who ask: "Are you any good at sharpening?"

...are you any good at your job?

Haha, in that case, do your absolute best to erase their doubts :smile:

Typical Sunday in the Pro Shop with games in all four rinks. The two out-of-town dads drop their kids' skates off for sharpenings. I tell the first dad about 10 minutes to wait, and then the 2nd dad about 20 minutes. Dad #2 "Really?" "Yes, well your buddy just got here ahead of you." They both leave the skates. 5 minutes later, Dad #2 comes back with the usual question, "Ready, yet?" "Uh no." "What's taking so long?" "Well, blame it on your buddy(and I'm kidding when I say this but of course this flies over his head), but we're still doing his skates first." He didn't like the answer, couldn't find the humor I guess and things went downhill from there. I later was in the lobby and heard him telling the teams' hockey moms about how bad things are in "that" pro shop, as if they could care less. I turned to him and said, "Yes and I'm that idiot you're talking about and you're skates are ready now." There was more blah-blah-blah from him but it really didn't matter to me. Of course, when he was picking up his skates, he checked the edges ever so carefully and then talked to our sharpener, a 21 year old with 3+ years sharpening who happens to be Korean......"well, what about this knick here in the blade?" Our guy politely explained that the knick would come out over time and it wasn't the best idea to start taking off a ton of steel on one blade just to get it out. Finally he understood we know what we are doing.

Our customers are usually very nice about wait times, which is awesome. Too bad it's not the same everywhere though I'd imagine at pro shops in rinks where you work Darkstar, people would probably have less patience since there are games always going on. Just curious, how large is your proshop? Most of the ones in the rinks around here only stock some memorabilia, accessories and a few sticks/odd protective.

That's a great question. A lot of LHS hire kids and pay them minimum wage. I have had a LHS mess up my skates. If there where standards in the skate sharpening industry, or who was allowed to sharpen skates then that may be a bad question. There are doctors that go to school for eight years and are bad doctors.

Not sure I understand your logic. So, despite there being standards in the medical industry, there are still bad doctors. Would you call the doctor and ask office if he's a good doctor? Or ask a lawyer if he's any good?

Unfortunately, very few people are going to answer that question honestly if they think they are a bad sharpener. The question is sometimes is only useful as a warning to the employee that "Hey, heads up, I might be a difficult customer". A lot of times, it's just curiosity, but sometimes it's more.

Our Rapidshot setup is NOT a playground. It's for those interested in buying sticks to try them out before purchase. Customers are lucky enough that we have it setup in the first place, but they feel entitled enough to call me out on our store policy to use it? Get out please.

Technically speaking customers are not allowed in Rapidshot without employee supervision and without us unlocking the door first, one at a time. Yet some people deem it acceptable to pick the lock and go in there themselves with all of their Peewee buddies to take slappers with our top-end sticks.

Last week, a group of people (I swear there were like 10 people back there, a party!) congregated by Rapidshot and were basically breaking every rule regarding it. When I kindly tell the dad of some of the boys that they're only allowed in one at a time and that they couldn't shoot anymore pucks (they had their rounds before I got there haha), he gave me attitude, saying that he could supervise them and that one boy only got to shoot 10 pucks while his brother got to shoot 20. I was sorely tempted to tell them that the kiddie gym was across the road.

Having to supervise playtime is a big waste of an associate's time and takes them off the floor for other customers, I really want to have some fee to get in if you're only playing, as was the case a few years ago...and a better lock too :facepalm:

We had a make-shift rapidshot... Was 200 sq. feet, used sportcourt and we cut out a shooting lane that was about 15 feet long, then plastered the inside with absorbing rubber so shots wouldn't be so loud/rebounds wouldn't come back and kill the kid.

We just took it out after having it for 4 years. Best decision ever. Top-end sticks would get dinged up, no liability risk from kids killing themselves, peaceful noise. We did use them to help sell sticks, and help kids who didn't know what hand they were, but, losing that is okay. It might of helped make some sales, but we haven't seen a drop in stick sales since we got rid of it. They are definitely a FUN thing to have, not a BUSINESS thing to have.

I would highly recommend trying to get rid of it :) Floor space really opens up...

I don't have as much experience as you raganblink, but from my own; I can say that I've sold more sticks WITH the setup than without; you're right of course, sticks have always been sold before trying, but Rapidshot definitely helps imo. I understand that it could potentially bring in more customers, but then again, we've always had it so there's nothing to compare it to. We're not an 'LHS' so to speak, more a part of a big box chain with a big store, so that decision isn't really up to us haha.

We also use white pucks, so that helps a bit. I haven't seen one customer refuse a purchase because of a few scuffs or scratches... -knock on wood- :tongue:

I'm not trying to sound stupid, but isn't there a way you guys can get demo sticks from your reps (similar to when they had nike bauer ID kiosks) to use for rapid shot? That way you dont use brand new, merchandise every time someone wants to give it a go?

I don't know the first thing about LHS' at retail, so its just an honest question I have.

I'm not trying to sound stupid, but isn't there a way you guys can get demo sticks from your reps (similar to when they had nike bauer ID kiosks) to use for rapid shot? That way you dont use brand new, merchandise every time someone wants to give it a go?

I don't know the first thing about LHS' at retail, so its just an honest question I have.

We used to have them, but most people would rather grab their flex, curve, hand and model before trying out the demo ones. The problem still exists of us having to take our time for that though. Personally, I don't mind it if the store's quiet and someone wants to give it a whirl; I'd much prefer having a conversation than standing around anyhow, but when it gets busy...

At the local box store they have demo sticks that are always 100 flex or more! Never anything the general public would really be able to get a real feel for a stick. However, if I knew that people had possibly used a stick off the rack before I bought it, I would never buy a stick there.

At the local box store they have demo sticks that are always 100 flex or more! Never anything the general public would really be able to get a real feel for a stick. However, if I knew that people had possibly used a stick off the rack before I bought it, I would never buy a stick there.

Pardon my ignorance... but if I understood from an earlier post, they make you pay $x to try a stick (which is refunded if you buy it). Wouldn't it make sense for any stick that has been used by a customer for testing to be marked as such, and an $x discount applied? I know I'd take a small discount for a stick that has been used a couple times as a tester.

I'm likely TOTALLY wrong on everything I just said, though.

Pardon my ignorance... but if I understood from an earlier post, they make you pay $x to try a stick (which is refunded if you buy it). Wouldn't it make sense for any stick that has been used by a customer for testing to be marked as such, and an $x discount applied? I know I'd take a small discount for a stick that has been used a couple times as a tester.

I don't like it when people add this little bit to their posts, something along the lines of "I think I'm wrong but...". Not a big deal at all, but if you make a guess and state it as such, you don't need to apologize for asking a question, just ask it and stand by it. :smile:

I've never seen any store around here charge to use Rapidshot or any similar setup (though for sure, any place that has such a setup has thought about it, us included). The discount thing should be a given when to comes to 'test' or 'floor' models (not sure, but I think cars are an example) though usually the shop has enough stock such that selling a display model wouldn't be an issue.

That final line jumped out at me, too.

I think that you did know what you were talking about, and that you're the only one who could know. Aside from asking a question, you only stated your understanding of what you had read and stated what you would do in a specified situation.

Edited by wrangler

Customers who ask: "Are you any good at sharpening?"

...are you any good at your job?

I ask this all the time to see their reaction.... Someone who knows what there doing will usually laugh and give it the old nope, it's my first time. Those that are unsure of their abilities usually hesitate to answer. I've never not let someone sharpen my skates once i've enter the place but it's nice to kinda know what to expect

That is how they do it as I posted earlier. I paid five bucks to try sticks. None of them were the 87 flex that I wanted to try, they were all 100 flex. I still got a sense of what I liked...I guess. If I could have grabbed an 87 or even 77, I would have done it in a heartbeat, but they only let you shoot what is inside the booth. I bought the 87 flex version never having shot that actual stick, and I got the five bucks back off that. Of course, if I had known there were no 87 flex sticks in any line in the booth, I might have not paid! LOL!

I don't know what happens to the tester sticks.

I would rather like that the sticks I buy off the rack have not been flexed or shot. I guess it is just me being funny.

My friends shop has a very unique setup. Not every stick he has in stock is on display. He actually has only one or two top end sticks on the floor. If you want to buy one, he will walk to the back room and hand you one in plastic. I don't mention the name of the shop because currently my friend is buying out his partner. My friend started asking customers , "what is your biggest concern or problem with LHS's in the area? Most of them responded, Equipment is getting so expensive...I want to try before I buy". Second, I feel I cant touch anything or I am wasting their time. Third, uneducated and rude sales associates. I love reading this forum because he is trying to put together a store that is so customer friendly the extra money he spends, he will make up. He is currently talking with a foot doctor, a skate, goalie, and stick coach to assist him with helping customers purchase products. He is asking these people to help him have one of the best Hockey shops in Metro Detroit. It sound like you guys would love to go to a Hockey shop and talk with knowledgeable people and try out expensive equipment..... And when a pair of skates are $800.00 and a stick is $250.00 the ONLY people selling it should be knowledgeable people......So if I want to flex a 250.00 dollar stick before I buy it, then there needs to be demos. I don't want to find out that a 250.00 stick doesn't work for me on the ice, after I purchased it.

That's a great question. A lot of LHS hire kids and pay them minimum wage. I have had a LHS mess up my skates. If there where standards in the skate sharpening industry, or who was allowed to sharpen skates then that may be a bad question. There are doctors that go to school for eight years and are bad doctors.

It's a bad questions because:

1. Few people who are bad at anything are aware of it, especially if it's their job.

2. Even fewer would actually admit it.

3. When it comes to skate sharpening, there's only one way to find the answer to that question. Get them sharpened.

4. It's pretty insulting to ask in the first place.

Standards? There are standards for becoming physician, and as you point out, there's still bad ones out there. So what would be the point in standards for skate sharpening? And if you asked any of those doctors if they were good at there job, what would they say? And what kind of service/treatment would you expect afterwards? What if I asked a customer "Are you a good enough skater to deserve my sharpening?" Pretty rude.

It's a bad questions because:

1. Few people who are bad at anything are aware of it, especially if it's their job.

2. Even fewer would actually admit it.

3. When it comes to skate sharpening, there's only one way to find the answer to that question. Get them sharpened.

4. It's pretty insulting to ask in the first place.

Standards? There are standards for becoming physician, and as you point out, there's still bad ones out there. So what would be the point in standards for skate sharpening? And if you asked any of those doctors if they were good at there job, what would they say? And what kind of service/treatment would you expect afterwards? What if I asked a customer "Are you a good enough skater to deserve my sharpening?" Pretty rude.

I do like your opinion. I want to add that yes, it would be insulating to ask, "are you good at your job"? I ask in different ways. I'll walk in and say, "can you sharpen my skates at 1/2"? Most of the time they will respond, "yes", or "that is our standard set-up". I have had grown men tell me 1/2" what? or a 1/2" won't work for you. I like when the guy notices the customizations that have been done to my skate. I feel more comfortable with him. I'll finish with this, I once got my skates sharpened in Troy, MI, all they do is sharpen skates, and they messed up my blades so bad. If you live in Metro-Detroit you now the business I am talking about. I now drive half hour each way to get my skates sharpened.

The quality of the skate sharpening has nothing to do with the age of the sharpener or what his hourly wage is. The quality of the skate sharpening has everything to do with being taught correctly, paying attention to detail, caring about your work as it is a reflection of the shop, and not having to be worried about being rushed through the sharpening by someone who has never done it.

Haha, in that case, do your absolute best to erase their doubts :smile:

This is the best answer. The customer pays the bills. If you go out of your way to show them you are proficient in skate sharpening you will have a customer for life.