Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

I can't remember who did the research, but I recall reading about the emotional attachment shoppers will get from over analyzing a purchase. Essentially if they are trying to decide between option A, B, and C, even though they conclude option B is best for them, they may not make a purchase at all because they've subconsciously become attached to A and C as well through all the research and saying "no" to those options doesn't feel right. That's the short version of it and I'm certain I saw it more than a few times in my old retail days of musical equipment. There's a whole bunch of info out there on behavioral finance (spending) and how to help a client work through it, not become paralyzed by indecision, and preserve your own business development.

I can't remember who did the research, but I recall reading about the emotional attachment shoppers will get from over analyzing a purchase. Essentially if they are trying to decide between option A, B, and C, even though they conclude option B is best for them, they may not make a purchase at all because they've subconsciously become attached to A and C as well through all the research and saying "no" to those options doesn't feel right. That's the short version of it and I'm certain I saw it more than a few times in my old retail days of musical equipment. There's a whole bunch of info out there on behavioral finance (spending) and how to help a client work through it, not become paralyzed by indecision, and preserve your own business development.

I have a BS in psychology and sociology, so I find that sort of thing fascinating. I can honestly say however, I haven’t suffered from that problem… I wish my wife would paralyze her spending though, that would save us a couple of bucks :smile: On a similar note, one of my favorite studies regarding consumer psychology relates to “post-purchase rationalization”. It showed that to avoid cognitive discomfort after difficult purchasing decisions, people tend to overlook minor faults in what they just purchased, and rate them higher than all other products. It’s a self defense mechanism to avoid “post-decision dissonance”.

Then there’s the whole talk yourself into buying something you don’t really need… I’m guilty of that from time to time. Psychologists call this “justification”. Example: I need new gloves because… uh… the palm is a little sticky and there’s almost a hole there… some people have trouble being honest with their conscience, and just saying I want something newer/cooler/better.

Then there’s the whole talk yourself into buying something you don’t really need… I’m guilty of that from time to time.

Hmm, maybe that's why I have a dozen guitars

That's why when someone tries on a pair of CCM 852s, Miken Z9s, Winnwell Pro Stock, and Warrior Franchise gloves....they will still somehow feel that the Franchises are 8 X better than the counterparts that are very similar.

Of course I have several pairs of Franchises myself, but I still prefer my Eagle CP94s anyday of the week.

Sounds like every time I put a pair of Franchises in my watch list, even though they don't fit as well as my PPFs and I havent tried a warrior palm yet that compares to the MSH.

That's why when someone tries on a pair of CCM 852s, Miken Z9s, Winnwell Pro Stock, and Warrior Franchise gloves....they will still somehow feel that the Franchises are 8 X better than the counterparts that are very similar.

Of course I have several pairs of Franchises myself, but I still prefer my Eagle CP94s anyday of the week.

Are the Winnwells that good? I'd pick the 852's over Franchises any day. $250 for a pair of gloves is ridiculous.

Boy do I have a tale, it's a bit long but bear with me.

Several weeks ago a woman, her son, and who i assume to be her mother come into the store looking for a pair of skates for the boy. No more than $100. Ok. They pick out a pair of Bauer Supreme Pro's (One20's re-branded to say Supreme Pro so they are an 'exclusive' model to Canadian Tire). I tie them on the kid and you can tell right away that he loves them, walks around a bit, has that look on his face that tells you these are the skates he wants. He confirms that he can't find anything wrong with them, and that he really likes them. Perfect.

Then grandma pipes up.

"Check where they're made." So the kid's mother checks the box. "China"

"I knew it. I could smell it in the leather."

... :facepalm:

Now mom agrees with her, you're right we don't want those. She runs over to the skate wall, and grabs a pair of Easton Ultra's (SE6), and starts turning them over and over in her hands, half a foot away from her face, muttering "Yeah, these are much better construction, they're put together a lot better. Can you get us a pair in his size?"

At this point in time, I'm still trying to process "I could smell it in the leather", but I...just...can't...do...it. So I go and grab them, tie em on, he walks around, and it is almost a polar opposite of the Bauers. He looks uncomfortable in them, not painful, but he just doesn't feel it. He looks at mom and grandma, and unconvincingly says that he likes them.

Mom and Grandma are ecstatic, great lets go. I quickly wheel my stool over to him, and ask him if he's sure, think about the Bauers and compare them to each other. He looks at the Bauers, the Eastons then back at mom and grandma. Looks at me and still unconvincingly says that he likes them. Alrighty then.

I sharpen them, no bake though (that's just a waste of money) and they're out the door.

THE NEXT NIGHT, I walk into the store and there they are, on my desk, returned.

Now that seems like the end, but it most certainly is not. I go into the store on my day off to talk with the other guy about an upcoming tournament, and he is fitting this same kid, with his mom in tow. I nearly cried when they walked out with the initial pair of Supreme Pros.

Edited by leafer101993

Boy do I have a tale, it's a bit long but bear with me.

Several weeks ago a woman, her son, and who i assume to be her mother come into the store looking for a pair of skates for the boy. No more than $100. Ok. They pick out a pair of Bauer Supreme Pro's (One20's re-branded to say Supreme Pro so they are an 'exclusive' model to Canadian Tire). I tie them on the kid and you can tell right away that he loves them, walks around a bit, has that look on his face that tells you these are the skates he wants. He confirms that he can't find anything wrong with them, and that he really likes them. Perfect.

Then grandma pipes up.

"Check where they're made." So the kid's mother checks the box. "China"

"I knew it. I could smell it in the leather."

... :facepalm:

Now mom agrees with her, you're right we don't want those. She runs over to the skate wall, and grabs a pair of Easton Ultra's (SE6), and starts turning them over and over in her hands, half a foot away from her face, muttering "Yeah, these are much better construction, they're put together a lot better. Can you get us a pair in his size?"

At this point in time, I'm still trying to process "I could smell it in the leather", but I...just...can't...do...it. So I go and grab them, tie em on, he walks around, and it is almost a polar opposite of the Bauers. He looks uncomfortable in them, not painful, but he just doesn't feel it. He looks at mom and grandma, and unconvincingly says that he likes them.

Mom and Grandma are ecstatic, great lets go. I quickly wheel my stool over to him, and ask him if he's sure, think about the Bauers and compare them to each other. He looks at the Bauers, the Eastons then back at mom and grandma. Looks at me and still unconvincingly says that he likes them. Alrighty then.

I sharpen them, no bake though (that's just a waste of money) and they're out the door.

THE NEXT NIGHT, I walk into the store and there they are, on my desk, returned.

Now that seems like the end, but it most certainly is not. I go into the store on my day off to talk with the other guy about an upcoming tournament, and he is fitting this same kid, with his mom in tow. I nearly cried when they walked out with the initial pair of Supreme Pros.

While the mom and grandma can suck it, I'm happy the story ended up with the kid getting what he wanted.

Yes, I forgot to mention that they too were made in China, I noticed it before they bought them, I just decided to keep that to myself. :)

EDIT. And I have no idea what Chinese leather smells like, but apparently it is a very distinctive odor to old white women. :laugh:

Edited by leafer101993

The most entertaining part of this thread for me is how easily I can relate to many of the stories even though I never worked in an LHS. I worked at a 3-letter retail pharmacy during college, and while the specifics of the customer interactions may be different, the audacity/rudeness/stupidity of the customers doesn't seem to change. The tough part about the pharmacy is a good portion of the customers are sick, which puts them on another level of agitation.

Edited by goblue9280

A huge thanks to MSH'er Slap Shot Hockey aka raganblink. I took a 2-hour drive today to the shop he works at to buy our daughter a new pair of skates. Keep in mind she's just a 13 yr old recreational skater... doesn't play hockey. Skating and going to our local USHL team's games are one of our father/daughter activities we enjoy, along with biking. To make a long story short he spent a TON of time with her and probably had her try on at least 10 pairs of skates from CCM, Reebok, and Easton. We settled on the EQ30's as they had the best out of the box fit. He then baked and sharpened them. I bought a couple other small items while there, and will surely make the trek back down there if anything else is needed. They were busy as can be yet took time with not only us but every other customer we saw walk in the door. It was a well-stocked store too. Kudos for a job well done!

Edited by Too Old

Went to fit a guy up for full CCM U+CL protective (came in targeting those), greeted him and the first thing he says to me is "Do you really know what you're doing?" I get that sometimes, it's easy to judge based on race and I'm not bothered by it so I smile and say (with an intended hint of uncertainty of course :wink: ) "Umm, well... I guess we'll find out."

Went through a good fitting, got all sizes down and everything. Explained U Foam, talked about the fit characteristics of CCM gear, explained the weight difference between the price-points, explained the difference b/w NHL-criteria and retail pads and even had to explain to him that the CS pants were NOT made for defensemen.

Upon cashing out he admits to me that he didn't think an Asian person would know about hockey equipment. I think this is the first time anyone's ever admitted that to my face, though for some customers, I can always tell if they immediately show some apprehension based on who I am. For all of those customers however, they'll leave happily surprised. Not something that keeps me awake at night by any means, but stuff you expect for people. Hockey's a middle-upper class Caucasian sport.

Edited by AIREAYE

Upon cashing out he admits to me that he didn't think an Asian person would know about hockey equipment.

I hear you on that...am the only asian that plays in my league, and I think there's only one other playing in the next tier up. Most dont bother about the 'asian' thing, but I've played against a couple teams that are just plain racist (name calling during the post game handshake). Uncalled for, but thats what happens when you play against 'bogans'