Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

milbs06

The Rocket

Saw the movie (bought it on DVD), it was pretty good. A lot of imagination needed to figure out some of the underlying stories. Wasn't bad, about a 6.5/10. Avery gets punked 3 times by Richard. Two times were one-punch knock outs, the third Richard kicked his ass in the SinBin. Avery started it, though. Richard was not an instigator according to the story.

No it never came out in the US, I ordered it here:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GJ0KJQ...glance&n=917972

I liked it. It's no classic but I'd say worth watching. Since I'm not bilingual it was tough to get used to, and I'm sure that hurt my opinion of it since I was reading subtitles and not watching as much of the movie as I would've liked (due to reading).

I loved this movie, it's really well done, Roy Dupuis is damn good!

I never knew The Rocket has never been the best scorer in a season because the league would give points to other players when they were on the bench. They hated Richard.

No it never came out in the US, I ordered it here:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GJ0KJQ...glance&n=917972

I liked it. It's no classic but I'd say worth watching. Since I'm not bilingual it was tough to get used to, and I'm sure that hurt my opinion of it since I was reading subtitles and not watching as much of the movie as I would've liked (due to reading).

did the dvd have an english option?

If it did I didn't see it.

Without giving too many details, I thought it was cool when he won all 3 stars in one night.

Also, what is so derogatory about calling a French-Canadian "Pea Soup?" I guess I didn't get that part.

did the dvd have an english option?

Maurice Richard: Rocket DVD

the films still mainly french though, even if you buy the english version. all the french hockey players and personell speak french in the movie with english subtitles, and all the english coaches and players speak english. its a neat twist, and i didn't find it too distracting during the movie.

Without giving too many details, I thought it was cool when he won all 3 stars in one night.

Also, what is so derogatory about calling a French-Canadian "Pea Soup?" I guess I didn't get that part.

pissou=afraid or pussy...

Also, what is so derogatory about calling a French-Canadian "Pea Soup?"  I guess I didn't get that part.

I thought it was stereotypical remark because French Canadians ate a lot of pea soup.

In my youth Pea soups called me "spageti" (misspelled intentionally) during games.

Another example would be...SO you friggin Pepsi I hear you're having a good season so far in Lewiston.

Just kidding around D. But if you score 5 goals next game I want some credit for instigating if not encouraging you.

Also, what is so derogatory about calling a French-Canadian "Pea Soup?"  I guess I didn't get that part.

I thought it was stereotypical remark because French Canadians ate a lot of pea soup.

In my youth Pea soups called me "spageti" (misspelled intentionally) during games.

Another example would be...SO you friggin Pepsi I hear you're having a good season so far in Lewiston.

Just kidding around D. But if you score 5 goals next game I want some credit for instigating if not encouraging you.

Your right it is pea soup, back in the day, the french canadian population was very very poor, and the english people were very wealthy, even if they were in the minority population wise. They called maurcie pea soup, because he was french. and back in the 40's and 50's alot of french people ate alot, alot, alot of pea soupe, because it was very inexpensive to buy or make.

haha,  I'll do like Maurice...

I guess I'll have to settle for 3.

Congrats.

Another 2 yesterday....Can I be your agent. ;)

LoL, no I already have one. God knows I miss a 2vs 1 for my third of the game, f... me, haha.

No, Don't tell me you have signed with Luc Quesnel agency? ;)

Just kidding JP.

And of course the French would never have any pet names for the english.....lol...."tetes carrees"...or just "les maudits"..

The whole "name calling" thing is soooo blown out of proportion...if you are that sensitive..better not play hockey....Back in the day when some people meant it to be insulting and some just used the term jokingly(as in the use of the term "pepsi" even between Francophones to describe each other, as was mentioned earlier...most people just laughed it off...To get upset was simply to give credence to the intended slur, if it was, or risk taking a "nothing comment" far too seriously....and reduce oneself to the playground mentality...Now you end up in court....lol.

I remember a post on another board, where a very senior member, coach, and rink operator, got completely blown up, because his daughter of 14, playing in a mixed league, which was mostly boys, got called a "biatch" during the play, actually it was probably "bitch".....The ensuing posturing, and threats of barring players from the rink lasted about 3 days on the board..and while entertaining because so much of it was unbeliveable....makes you wonder. The word "bitch" could probably be heard at least 50 times a period if anyone as listening these days....when 6 - 8 year olds are playing.

lol, name calling is useless nowaday. cuss words have no meaning to me these days. in hockey cussing happens a lot and its something you just deal with. in a game a couple weeks ago a boy called our goalie a bitch, and she cried for like an hour... ppl need to toughen up.

does anyone here play soccer or basaketball? is cussing used as much in those sports?

LoL, no I already have one. God knows I miss a 2vs 1 for my third of the game, f... me, haha.

No, Don't tell me you have signed with Luc Quesnel agency? ;)

Just kidding JP.

LOL

I FINALLY watched this. Wow! very well done. The hockey scenes were great. Dupuis (Maurice) and the guy who played Dick Irvin were both very good. I wonder how true to reality the off ice stuff and interaction between them was.

Anyone who hasn't seen this...should.

Holy flyin' f*ck! Just saw the trailer. "I DON'T WANT TO SEE MAURICE RICHARD TONIGHT! I WANT TO SEE THE ROCKET!"

I read a few reviews when this came out, but couldn't catch it for sched reasons, plus the fact that it came and went in the States very quickly. I had no idea it was such a big-budget flick. To recreate a hockey game in the 50's or 60's is a big f*ckin' deal. Obviously a lot went into this flick.

Will Netflix it asap.

Holy flyin' f*ck! Just saw the trailer. "I DON'T WANT TO SEE MAURICE RICHARD TONIGHT! I WANT TO SEE THE ROCKET!"

I read a few reviews when this came out, but couldn't catch it for sched reasons, plus the fact that it came and went in the States very quickly. I had no idea it was such a big-budget flick. To recreate a hockey game in the 50's or 60's is a big f*ckin' deal. Obviously a lot went into this flick.

Will Netflix it asap.

Netflix also have it on instantview, so you can just hook a HDMI/S-video cable from your computer to your TV and get it immediately.

I loved it. I could never criticize a movie that you can rewind to see Avery get a beating!!!