Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
dustwvl

9 or 8 ft profile

The other thread about radious length got me thinking as I am about to get my skates profiled. I have very small feet. I wear a size 5 skate. I way about 170 though. I was wondering if I should be going with a 9 foot or should I be going with a * because my skates are so small. I understand a 9 fott is a 9 foot but it seems the ratio would be different. I am not sure if it even makes a difference. I know the guy that does the profiling for me said that alot of people that go with the 8 say they feel sort of tippy back and forth if that makes sense. Any help from the skate experts here would be greatly appreciated.

You seem to understand correctly that the radius is proportunate to blade size. A smaller radius will be used on smaller size skates than larger ones. Depending on your skating style and ability, a 7 or 8' is more in line with a size 5 skate. You will not feel "tippy". However if you had a size 10 skate and put a 8' on it, yes, you could feel "tippy." That's prob what your profiling guy meant (I hope).

Weight has nothing to do with radius, that effects the hollow you use.

I would still go with a 9 foot. I know alot guys with size 8-10 skates that use 11ft radius for the added stability and glide. I would always recommend that a person use a little longer radius rather than too short. That feeling of being tippy or back on your heels is terrible.

I've always thought that it was a speed vs manoeuvrability tradeoff, to a certain extent. Also, I think taller players, and those with a higher centre of gravity, would need a longer radius.

What's the stock radius on Graf Cobras? I had a size 11 705 and liked the longer radius.

Edited by flip12