Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Player

Tacki-Mac Command Grip

I have them in white color and love them. I applied them as directed but without the dishsoap. Went on like a charm and stay on. FYI: Thye will cut the butt ends down to your specs. I had my cut down to a half inch and cant say enough about these things. For the quality of the product and the money you cant beat them.

Wanted to share my method for applying Tacki Macs...I wrap electrical tape around the top of the shaft, STICKY side out...A couple of shots of hair spray around the tape and slide grip over.

The colored grips do not stain, I use black grips

Same here. Black grips, white palms. No stains.

No palm stains from the black grips for me either .I use the short sand grip ones and love em'.

dont mean to bring up an old topic, but i tried out this grip tonite and ran into a problem with it. here is situation...

at 6:30pm i applied the two sided tape, added the water (w/o soap) and then put the grip on it.

i stepped on the ice at 8:30 and am warming up, the grip feels a little loose but nothing too bad, i think... first shift i go to pick up the puck to pass it and the grip slips off about 2 inches and i had this problem 3-4 more times.

by this point i am frustrated so i tack the grip off and tape it up

what can i do to make sure the command grip stays and does not move around?

Depending on how much water you added, I would wait longer to let it dry out. I added too much water the first time I used one and had to wait 24 hours.

I picked up a few of these this week since HG started carrying them. Didn't use the tape, just put it on over the stick. It is a SUPER tight fit, even on my intermediate L-2's. I prefer the sand to the wrapped since it's closer to Powerflex, but the knob is a bit small, so I might try the "big butt" ones. Feels great though, tacky like Powerflex but without the fraying. Takes about 20 minutes to put it on though.

I use them without any adhesive and find that they stay in place just fine. Plus you can remove and reuse them. They're a bear to get on "dry" but it can be done. Roll as much of it as you can then pull it on and unroll.

One of my guys on my team uses Aqua Net Extra Hold hair spray instead of the glue that comes with the grips. He says there is a little drying time involved by they go on easily and are removable.

I use hair spray and they always stay put.

Also if you have an air compressor you can use the attachment for blowing off equipment and just get it underneath the grip. The air and pressure will git it right off. You can probably get it on this way too. We use to do bike grips this way. If your in a hurry you can dry the hair spray this way.

Mine tended to slide up the knob ever so slightly after playing. A little tape at the bottom of the grip overlapping the shaft solved that problem.

I bought a Sand Short grip today and if feels to thick for me. I am just wondering if anyone knows if the Sand Long is thinner. It looks like it on the website, but I just want to make sure since Ill have to order them. Thanks alot.

they're all pretty thick and somewhat spongy (not as spongy as jack the gripper i'd imagine).

They're great if you're worried about ruining your palms but I didn't like how thick it felt.

I had the initial issue with the grip sliding off as well. The solution is to slide off the grip, scrape as much of the excess slop and slide (with a lot of effort) the the grip back on.

I found that it feels thinner and doesn't slip at all if you just wrestle the grip on without the double sided tape. Personally, I find it's better that way because you can remove the grip later without that nasty residue leftover from the tape. The residue doesn't come off unless you have some sort of industrial solvent.

sorry to bring back this thread, but I have a question. I am very picky about my tape jobs, and constantly redo them. Can anyone tell me exactly how wide and thick the knobs are specifically the sand and textured grips. thanks!

Wow, you're a lucky fella. Those happen to be the two tacki-maks I own. The sand knob, being the shorter of the two is just under 3/4 of an inch. The knob on the textured is an inch long. The both knobs are a little over 1/8th of an inch thick

Anybody tried sanding down the inner tube to make the grip less thick? I am tempted to try it because I find the grip a little thick for my liking.

Has anyone tried to thin out the butt ends on these grips? I just bought one and I like it but the butt is a little thick for my liking. If i shave off a small exterior layer of the grip will that affect its performance at all (particularly the tackiness of it)?

I just got one of these yesterday as well. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the ice yet. I don't normally use a butt-end on my sticks, so I cut it off of the grip I bought. We'll see if it stays up over the end of the stick like I want, otherwise I think it's going to eat my palms like a normal taped grip does. I hold my stick in my palm and since I don't use a butt-end, the corner of the stick just eats my palms away. It rubs enough that I have a bit of a callus on my palm from it. Hopefully this will help. I was afraid it would be too thick, but it's not so bad. I'll try it out in a game tomorrow night and see how I like it.

BTW I've got it on my Dolomite shaft and it's not sticking too well on the concave sides of the shaft. I put the grip on with hairspray. Once the hairspray dries out, it seems to stick enough on the top and bottom that it doesn't rotate. But again, since I haven't use it on ice, I can't say for sure.

I could not get the hairspray thing to work with my Dolomite either. I just picked up another grip and used the included tape. I did leave the end just a hair above the edge to prevent the wear you're talking about.

After using it once, I completely forgot about them and they have been working great. They don't move around at all on the stick, and my glove grips them a lot more than tape.

I used to use them all the time, I've switched back to tape. The command grips are nice, I just forget to buy one then it's game time... soo...

The ribbed model is the best one IMO.

How did you put it on the shaft? I don't see the double sided tape. When I did my first couple grips by pulling them on the shaft without the tape, they ripped. Using the tape, they are perfectly fine.