Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

forbs02

Bake Times

Just to throw my two cents in and to satisfy the curiosity of some on this mysterious home baking process.... This year I bought a pair of second-hand-but-new T1 NXGs off ebay. I wanted to bake them. I have maybe 15 LHS within a 10 min drive of my house, all with bake ovens and friendly courteous staff. However, using reason and common sense (and a health dolop of impatience and laziness), and youtube, I successfully baked my skates in my home oven.

Was this reckless and crazy? Maybe. But let me tell you what I did and then you can decide just how insanely out of my mind I was. This by the way is not an endorsement, just one man's experience, taking on all the risks associated therewith. Without further ado, here's what I did:

Step 1 pre-heat oven to 200F.

2. Line a cookie sheet with a heavy duty dish towel

3. Place one skate on said lined cookie sheet.

4. turn off oven that has hit 200F.

5. Place skate in turned off oven for 2 minutes ish.

6. Remove Skate. Do up skate in sitting position. bring temp of oven back to 200. and repeat with second skate.

7. Sit with both skates on for a period of 10-15 mins.

8. Let skates be for 24 hours.

9. ?

10. PROFIT!

I wrote something like this years ago when it was Corebeam because a bunch of the European guys could not get to stores with ovens. If you stick to the temperatures and times you will never have an issue. Also spray the inside of the skate with water.

And they forgot to mention that you need to wet the dish towel.

I wrote something like this years ago when it was Corebeam because a bunch of the European guys could not get to stores with ovens. If you stick to the temperatures and times you will never have an issue. Also spray the inside of the skate with water.

And they forgot to mention that you have need to wet the dish towel.

Why spray the inside of the skate with water?

Thanks

For those not wanting to pay, if you are lucky to have a Total Hockey in your area they will bake the skates free of charge regardless of where they were purchased. I did this a couple of weeks ago, I felt really bad since I think everybody should be compensated for time but the sales guy made me feel a little better about it by telling me I spend enough money there and not to worry.

True statement; we don't charge for bakes and boot punches, regardless of where the skate was purchased.

That all being said, it IS a service in which I do understand the plight of the LHS. I do not think it is unreasonable for a LHS to charge for it.

True statement; we don't charge for bakes and boot punches, regardless of where the skate was purchased.

That all being said, it IS a service in which I do understand the plight of the LHS. I do not think it is unreasonable for a LHS to charge for it.

Totally agree there, I know TH doesn't charge but it still didn't feel right.

And finally old trainer guy posted something that actually provides some information the op was trying to find. . . .

I too baked my skates at home. I used the quick bake convection setting. I left mine in 5 minutes longer than old trainer guy and got a great fit.

Enjoy the new skates.

And finally old trainer guy posted something that actually provides some information the op was trying to find. . . .

I too baked my skates at home. I used the quick bake convection setting. I left mine in 5 minutes longer than old trainer guy and got a great fit.

Enjoy the new skates.

thanks though appreciate that compliment!

New skates are coming in soon and I want to make sure I do the bake right. I'm having the shop heat them up in their skate oven. Here's what I'm going to do for the bake, tell me whether it is the correct way.

1- After the skate is warmed up and taken out of the oven I will replace the stock footbeds with my superfeet footbeds and bake with the superfeet in the boot. (I've been in superfeet for awhile, they fit me great). Is it recommended to bake with the footbeds you plan on playing with rather than Bauer's own?

2-I plan on baking the skates while wearing Bauer's elite performance socks that I plan on wearing whenever I regularly play.

3-Should I stay seated with the boots on? I've heard some people say its a good idea to stand up and walk around while others have said not to walk on the boots while their on your feet after the bake. Personally, I'm leaning towards staying seated.

4-While seated, is it a good idea to tuck the skates under the chair I'm sitting on to resemble a skating position?

Will the positioning of the skates in this manner effect the amount of forward flex in the boots?

5-How tight should I lace up the skates for the bake process? I tie up my skates fairly tight when I play, is it recommended to tie up the skate for the bake the same way I would regularly tie it up? If it's too tight, will it cause stress to the eyelets?

Also, do different size Bauer skates share the same size footbeds or each skate size have its on own specific footbed?

Any other recommendations will be much appreciated it.

When i baked my apx2 skates i sat in a chair and the guy brought them to me, then i was told to tied them tight and sit for about 10-15 mins.

The one recommendation i was suggest when baking is to bake them with the original laces.

I use waxed laces and i forgot that when you heat them up the wax gets on your hands.

Quick question Sharpen before bake or bake before sharpen? Or does it matter?

Doesn't matter. Doesn't get the steel hot enough.

In my store, I usually bake then sharpen so that they don't mess up the sharpening while on the rubber mat. When we get closer to closing, we do the opposite (so that we can bake it during closing and get the guys to clean the machine) but put skate guards on them when they lace up.

New skates are coming in soon and I want to make sure I do the bake right. I'm having the shop heat them up in their skate oven. Here's what I'm going to do for the bake, tell me whether it is the correct way.

1- After the skate is warmed up and taken out of the oven I will replace the stock footbeds with my superfeet footbeds and bake with the superfeet in the boot. (I've been in superfeet for awhile, they fit me great). Is it recommended to bake with the footbeds you plan on playing with rather than Bauer's own?

2-I plan on baking the skates while wearing Bauer's elite performance socks that I plan on wearing whenever I regularly play.

3-Should I stay seated with the boots on? I've heard some people say its a good idea to stand up and walk around while others have said not to walk on the boots while their on your feet after the bake. Personally, I'm leaning towards staying seated.

4-While seated, is it a good idea to tuck the skates under the chair I'm sitting on to resemble a skating position?

Will the positioning of the skates in this manner effect the amount of forward flex in the boots?

5-How tight should I lace up the skates for the bake process? I tie up my skates fairly tight when I play, is it recommended to tie up the skate for the bake the same way I would regularly tie it up? If it's too tight, will it cause stress to the eyelets?

Also, do different size Bauer skates share the same size footbeds or each skate size have its on own specific footbed?

Any other recommendations will be much appreciated it.

Doesn't matter. Doesn't get the steel hot enough.

In my store, I usually bake then sharpen so that they don't mess up the sharpening while on the rubber mat. When we get closer to closing, we do the opposite (so that we can bake it during closing and get the guys to clean the machine) but put skate guards on them when they lace up.

Hey JR, any quick thoughts on my post would be just awesome. Just want to make sure I do this right.

thanks

Hey JR, any quick thoughts on my post would be just awesome. Just want to make sure I do this right.

thanks

What model skate?

Only skates you should stand (and only stand for 1 minute, no walking) are Curv-based Bauer skates, Ribcor, RBZ and Mako.

Heat without insoles, put the insole you are going to wear in the boot when you lace up.

Just sit, legs at 90º angle is fine.

The boot will have more give than normal since it's heated, so don't crank on the laces. You're going for fit there, not tightness.

What model skate?

Only skates you should stand (and only stand for 1 minute, no walking) are Curv-based Bauer skates, Ribcor, RBZ and Mako.

Heat without insoles, put the insole you are going to wear in the boot when you lace up.

Just sit, legs at 90º angle is fine.

The boot will have more give than normal since it's heated, so don't crank on the laces. You're going for fit there, not tightness.

They'll be a pair of MX3's. I'm curious as to how standing up would help during the process, maybe create a little more room if your arches collapse?...I'm just going to stay seated and mold with superfeet in. Thanks for your help.

They'll be a pair of MX3's. I'm curious as to how standing up would help during the process, maybe create a little more room if your arches collapse?...I'm just going to stay seated and mold with superfeet in. Thanks for your help.

If MX3, then yes, you want to stand. The sole is also Curv composite. It's exactly how I baked my MX3s 5 months ago.

Those instructions are the ones I received from Bauer R/D when the ONE95 was released. I'd think they'd know better than most.

JR, on the Makos would standing for 1 minute widen the boot slightly? A concern if already have a narrowish, low volume foot.

I successfully baked my Supreme One.9s today at home. I pre-heated my convection Oven to 175 degrees. I placed my skate in a metal vise that clamped (Smooth jaws not gritted) the blade just below the holder so the skate stood upright. I let it remain in the oven for six minutes, and then I laced it up tight and sat in the chair for fifteen minutes. I did stand a few times in the skates so the width would be right (I wear 2EEs). I did not walk in them. I repeated the same with the second skate. The skates were warm, and never hot. I can see the difference in the molding from one to the other between having baked and not baked. The boots are certainly more comfortable now than they were right out of the box.

Anyone knows for how long to bake 20k's? I seem to have discarded the box and cant find any info online.

200 degrees F in skate oven, bake for 3.5 minutes, wear with knees bent at 90 degree angle for 10-15 minutes. Cool for minimum of 12 hours. Info from my box.

Anyone know if the X:60's are bakeable?

Couldnt find any info on these older skates since everytime I google X:60, I get results for X60 (2013 model).

They look very similar to the x5.0's that I have, which are bakeable.

If they are bakeable, what are the instructions? I would assume they are the same as other vapors - which I think is 3-4mins at 180 degrees.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone know if the X:60's are bakeable?

Couldnt find any info on these older skates since everytime I google X:60, I get results for X60 (2013 model).

They look very similar to the x5.0's that I have, which are bakeable.

If they are bakeable, what are the instructions? I would assume they are the same as other vapors - which I think is 3-4mins at 180 degrees.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

they are , preheat an oven around 79-80 C,then put skates inside for 2-3 mins

OK so thinking about a possible new method to "bake" skates.

So I dont really have much trust in places around me to bake my skates right, so I have been doing it at home. I have always been on the conservative side when using a home oven, but even considering that, I have still gotten very good results.

One problem I have though is how much the temp may vary during the bake. For example, if the oven is set to 200, it might be up above 200 at times, but may also dip down pretty low before the heat kicks on again. Even just the process of opening the oven to throw the skates in probably makes the temp drop a ton.

So heres my idea to ensure a perfect bake. I have a vacuum sealer, that Ive used to sous vide cook steaks before. If I use the exact same method with skates, it should be a more consistent bake. If you are unfamiliar with the method, you vacumm seal the thing being cooked, and then submerge in water that is the EXACT temp that you desire. To have water that is consistent and doesnt get cool, a large cooler is the best thing to fill up with hot water.

Heres a video of someone cooking a steak:

lemme know what you think. Kind of nuts, but I personally think this would be hands down the best way to bake skates, if you are willing to do the work.