Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

forbs02

Bake Times

SKATE BAKE TIMES

Preheated Oven

BRAND MODEL TIME

BAUER

5090 7 min

7000 7 min

8090 3 min

New Vapors 3 min

Old Vapors 7 min

CCM

All 4 min

U+ 4-5 min (Non-Preheated 200 Oven)

EASTON

Synergy 4 min

S15 4 min

SE16

GRAF

All Models? 4-6 min

KOR

Shift 1 10 min

Shift 2 10 min

MISSION

L Series 5 min

S Series 7 min

Fuel 7 min

Wicked 1 6 min

He Series 3 min

All Other Inline 6-7 Miin

NME

NINE-1

NIKE

Flexlite

Ignite

NIKE/BAUER

One90 2-3 min

One95 2-3 min

XXX 3 min

XXXX 3 min

Flexlite

REEBOK

9K (deflated) 3 min

I've played around with the U+ heating in my shop, and although the box directions work relatively well, there's another way of doing it that we've found to work a little better.

If your shop has the regular NBH convection oven that says it goes to 175 degrees (which is probably, like JR said, closer to 200), place the heat sticker on the side of the U+ like the directions say, but don't preheat the oven. Instead, place the skates in, crank the dial to about 4-5 minutes, and keep a close eye on the sticker. Once the middle "OK" indicator turns green, don't take the skates out right away. There will be a few seconds between the "OK" indicator going back to black, and the "TOO HOT" indicator will begin to turn green. Remove the skates from the oven before the "TOO HOT" indicator turns green at all.

I know it sounds a little silly and some of you probably think it doesn't make a WORLD of difference, and true enough, it doesn't. But the foam seems to cool down and set a little better afterwards. The shell also seemed to be slightly stiffer once the skate sets back to room temp, especially around the top 3-4 eyelets. Maybe it's just me, and others won't notice a difference, but this is how I've been baking the U+ and all customers have said they've turned out great.

I seem to have lost the package insert that gives the directions on how to bake these skates. So, I called the place that I bought them from, and they say that the package insert says 2 minutes @ 175 in a skate bake oven, but offers no instructions for traditional oven. Anyone have any ideas? I have been reluctant to do this, as there is not LHS and no one in town has a skate bake oven, but these skates are so hard and stiff that they are bothering my feet a bit at the ball of my foot, where the ball meets the inside of the skate.

I have watched a few videos on how to bake a skate, and will be pulling out the footbed when I bake, and then putting it back in when I let the mold set in. I also know to pull eyelets out instead of straining them. And sit in forward flex with boot underneath me, while seated. And no using skate for 24 hours afterward.

So, any additional ideas, then please let me know. I am especially interested to just get the heat and timing right on the bake. Should I preheat oven, then turn it off when I hear up the skate? Or, leave the oven blasting?

There are no instructions for baking in a home oven, as that will void the warranty and people end up doing damage more often than not.

There are no instructions for baking in a home oven, as that will void the warranty and people end up doing damage more often than not.

It's funny- when I was posting about how to fix my skate issue, a couple of people said "Bake." Now, I am considering baking (there is no proper bake oven in this country that I know of), and people (here and on sports2K) are saying "Don't bake." It looks like the bump on my foot is healing, and I think I may have been lacing my skates too tightly, so no bake for now. I do love a tight laceup- makes me feel like "my handling" (not stick handling, but my body handling) is similar to a BMW. All good though, I will see what I can do with looser lace ups, hopefully let my foot heal, and get these skates broken in to a decent enough degree.

It's funny- when I was posting about how to fix my skate issue, a couple of people said "Bake." Now, I am considering baking (there is no proper bake oven in this country that I know of), and people (here and on sports2K) are saying "Don't bake." It looks like the bump on my foot is healing, and I think I may have been lacing my skates too tightly, so no bake for now. I do love a tight laceup- makes me feel like "my handling" (not stick handling, but my body handling) is similar to a BMW. All good though, I will see what I can do with looser lace ups, hopefully let my foot heal, and get these skates broken in to a decent enough degree.

Anyone saying "Don't Bake" has no idea what they are talking about or have not read your previous posts and are replying without sufficient information. that's one of the biggest problems with the internet, bad advice is very difficult to discern from good information. The skates should be baked in a hockey skate oven.

Anyone saying "Don't Bake" has no idea what they are talking about or have not read your previous posts and are replying without sufficient information. that's one of the biggest problems with the internet, bad advice is very difficult to discern from good information. The skates should be baked in a hockey skate oven.

Right on, well in the defense of the internet advisors, I think they are saying "Don't bake," considering my situation of not having a proper skate bake oven. It seems that some in the industry (IW and the MLX guy) seem to think it ok to bake in a conventional oven, but I can imagine that there have been some times when these attempts have gone horribly wrong. All good, I will just break them in around the house. I was wearing them around in my apartment, and then the first few skates I had in them were fine. It was when I stopped wearing them around (wrongly thinking that the skates were broken in), that the problems started. And since the problems started, it has been painful to wear the left boot. I wore both boots for about 2 hours last night, so I think everything is coming back together for a proper break in (absent baking, unfortunately). I am able to push down the problem area and flatten out the toe cap a bit, to give me a little extra space where the ball of my foot is rubbing. We will see if I can make the boot "stick" in this apparently better position. The boots are definitely softer than when I first received them, especially after I have been wearing them for 2 hours and the heat from my feet gets in there.

MLX had no dealers and the skates required baking, it was in their financial interest to tell you to bake the skates yourself. As for IW, it's pretty much the same thing. They don't want you to factor in the cost of paying to bake your skates, or you may very well buy them from your local dealer. As for breaking in the skates, it isn't going to happen to a skate with a composite shell. You need to bake them, they don't break in.

OP, Ive been reading up on this. Supposedly theres a master thread on baking skates here, but searching doesnt seem to yield any results.

Did you have any issues? I am going to bake the one100's I just picked up used. This opinion will probably not go over well here, but I havent read any horror stories about baking at home, just hearsay from people that, from what I can tell, manage or own LHS's.... so I am going to do this myself.

I prefer to support my LHS and buy stuff there whenever its feasible, but I am not paying them 30 bucks to put my skates in an oven for 5 minutes. If it was a reasonable price I'd pay it, if for no other reason than to shoot the shit and support the business.

OP, Ive been reading up on this. Supposedly theres a master thread on baking skates here, but searching doesnt seem to yield any results.

Did you have any issues? I am going to bake the one100's I just picked up used. This opinion will probably not go over well here, but I havent read any horror stories about baking at home, just hearsay from people that, from what I can tell, manage or own LHS's.... so I am going to do this myself.

I prefer to support my LHS and buy stuff there whenever its feasible, but I am not paying them 30 bucks to put my skates in an oven for 5 minutes. If it was a reasonable price I'd pay it, if for no other reason than to shoot the shit and support the business.

$30? Is this an LHS or a scam artist? Jeez, what a joke that is

In their defense they price match internet prices for in stock items, but if you don't buy skates there they rape you on FBV sharpening and heat molding. It will save me money (even before gas, they are out of my way by 20 miles) to send my runners to noicing.

LHS here will bake skates for $10. I baked my old Supreme One70s at home without issue. I'm not saying to do it but I had bought mine second hand as backup skates so I wasn't worried about warranty.

Neither, it's a reasonable charge. Why reward someone with a cheap skate baking for buying skates elsewhere? Clearly not "supporting the LHS" as stated. I'm not a fan of matching internet pricing flat out, but most places are willing to work with you to find similar product or reasonable pricing if you ask.

For those not wanting to pay, if you are lucky to have a Total Hockey in your area they will bake the skates free of charge regardless of where they were purchased. I did this a couple of weeks ago, I felt really bad since I think everybody should be compensated for time but the sales guy made me feel a little better about it by telling me I spend enough money there and not to worry.

Neither, it's a reasonable charge. Why reward someone with a cheap skate baking for buying skates elsewhere? Clearly not "supporting the LHS" as stated. I'm not a fan of matching internet pricing flat out, but most places are willing to work with you to find similar product or reasonable pricing if you ask.

Sorry, but 30 bucks is not a reasonable charge for putting skates in an oven for 5 elapsed minutes. What's your sunken cost on that oven? Or was it provided by a manufacturer at some point to push their new technology. I guess it's moot, and I don't expect you to respond.

I'm a customer, and one that drops a lot of money on my hobbies. Maybe it would behoove you to take my opinion into consideration.

I agree with buzz I don't have an issue with places charging to bake skates that weren't purchased there. They may not be losing money doing it for free but they're losing time and not making any money either.

I've never charged more than 15$ to heat mold skates, most of the time if they come in and are good people and need a sharpen too, so I wont charge them anything and they'll end up walking out with more stuff then they needed anyways. Some times, people don't just buy stuff online for cheaper prices, it can be because the LHS doesn't have it in stock, which I see quite often. You can see it right now, the 30$ heat mold is now losing that LHS business because a customer is not going to even think of going to the store.

Traffic drives sales, and good salesmanship drives repeat traffic.

Sorry, but 30 bucks is not a reasonable charge for putting skates in an oven for 5 elapsed minutes. What's your sunken cost on that oven? Or was it provided by a manufacturer at some point to push their new technology. I guess it's moot, and I don't expect you to respond.

I'm a customer, and one that drops a lot of money on my hobbies. Maybe it would behoove you to take my opinion into consideration.

We could go back and forth debating this all day. But a customer is looking to get a product for the lowest possible cost, and the shop is trying to make money to survive. After losing a potential sale, to be compensated for the time of skate fitting, I don't feel is unreasonable.

We could go back and forth debating this all day. But a customer is looking to get a product for the lowest possible cost, and the shop is trying to make money to survive. After losing a potential sale, to be compensated for the time of skate fitting, I don't feel is unreasonable.

Sorry,but if i wanted the lowest possible cost, and to purely be pragmatic about every purchase, I would never step foot in an LHS. I can always beat your price, even if you price match, because of taxes and gas. But that is not my top priority, and I see the value in having an LHS at my disposal for advice, fitting, etc. Plus I like shopping locally.

This LHS also charges 13 for ppl to get FBV's that dont buy skates there, vs 7 who do. I would waste the money on gas to go there instead of ship to noicing purely to support the LHS if it was 7 dollars (its way out of my way)... and you dont think I would also buy my disposables there like tape, or pick up a random stick (have my eye on a Sherwood EK15 currently), or see something else that caught my fancy just because I am there and buy it? If so, you are being incredibly short sighted. Sure, charge me for using your oven. But charge me 30 bucks? Charge me almost double market rate for a FBV sharpening? That is preposterous.

I agree Strykers post:

I've never charged more than 15$ to heat mold skates, most of the time if they come in and are good people and need a sharpen too, so I wont charge them anything and they'll end up walking out with more stuff then they needed anyways. Some times, people don't just buy stuff online for cheaper prices, it can be because the LHS doesn't have it in stock, which I see quite often. You can see it right now, the 30$ heat mold is now losing that LHS business because a customer is not going to even think of going to the store.

Traffic drives sales, and good salesmanship drives repeat traffic.

Anyway, I am much more curious how the OP did with his at home bake. Thanks.

Most, if not all, the Sportcheks in my area bake skates free even if you bought them elsewhere. They fully subscribe to the "happy customer is a returning customer" philosophy. I understand that a fee is a reasonable thing to ask for to bake skates. All in all, it's up to the LHS.

Its an endless debate, but I have no problem paying to have the skates I bought online to have them properly baked.

I play roller and my LHS does not carry the brand I wear (at least they haven't since I last got skates!). I always go in and pay what they want for the oven. I think last time it was $20 or $25. They wanted to know where I got them and I was honest with them. And they made sure I laced up the skates properly and did what was needed to make sure I was not putting too much stress into them or anything like that. It simply wasn't $20 for them to pop them in and hand them back to me. Both employees there watched over me the entire time.

While I was there, I bought two pro stock sticks and they dropped the skate baking down to $10 or even less for me. I even went back a week later and bought two more sticks. They always throw in the wood extensions I liked and a roll or two of tape too when I bought the sticks.

The debate of online vs LHS doesnt end there. Recently had this debate with a teammate since an acquintance of ours has started to work more at our LHS. Both have positives.... I am usually using the online retailers if it is something I can get a big discount on. Like when IW has their 20% off thing and has free shipping. Thats a 25% swing considering our sales tax. Also if I have points with a place like Total I need to burn. Anything with manufacturer price restrictons or that is fit sensitive (helmets, skates, etc), I go to the LHS. Even if it means I have to drive 100 miles to get the selection I need.

Just to throw my two cents in and to satisfy the curiosity of some on this mysterious home baking process.... This year I bought a pair of second-hand-but-new T1 NXGs off ebay. I wanted to bake them. I have maybe 15 LHS within a 10 min drive of my house, all with bake ovens and friendly courteous staff. However, using reason and common sense (and a health dolop of impatience and laziness), and youtube, I successfully baked my skates in my home oven.

Was this reckless and crazy? Maybe. But let me tell you what I did and then you can decide just how insanely out of my mind I was. This by the way is not an endorsement, just one man's experience, taking on all the risks associated therewith. Without further ado, here's what I did:

Step 1 pre-heat oven to 200F.

2. Line a cookie sheet with a heavy duty dish towel

3. Place one skate on said lined cookie sheet.

4. turn off oven that has hit 200F.

5. Place skate in turned off oven for 2 minutes ish.

6. Remove Skate. Do up skate in sitting position. bring temp of oven back to 200. and repeat with second skate.

7. Sit with both skates on for a period of 10-15 mins.

8. Let skates be for 24 hours.

9. ?

10. PROFIT!