Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveTheWave

Spelling in the RH Forum

for each his own guys,to me its not a big deal.its all about the game .by the way those thoughts are my opinion.

You are correct that it's to each his own, but I would guess that the quality of discussion is much better on boards where the writing is better. I would imagine there are some people that don't feel like spending the time to decipher text messages, so they don't read or reply, causing the dialogue to decline.

for each his own guys,to me its not a big deal.its all about the game .by the way those thoughts are my opinion.

You are correct that it's to each his own, but I would guess that the quality of discussion is much better on boards where the writing is better. I would imagine there are some people that don't feel like spending the time to decipher text messages, so they don't read or reply, causing the dialogue to decline.

Even when I'm texting, I use proper grammar. I hate people that just talk with u or b/c and w/o and stuff like that. Type out the whole word, it doesn't take much more effort to do.

If i see any of you typing badly, your in for it BIG time! :D

Then why didn't you correct yourself?

your-you're ;)

A very interesting pinch and pin on the ignorant masses. I have read a few posts lately with spelling/typing so bad I can barely decipher it at all. One suggestion aside from "everyone spell and check" might be for the newbies out there is a list of all the acronyms we use, for Eg: OPS= One Piece Stick.

One of the greatest virtues of this board is the openness. In that the most ignorant person hockey wise can ask the most ignorant question they have and get mature and genuine answers. The board is a credit to its creaters and modifiers but moreso to the level of good people that come on and contribute positively each time. I have been on the board few years now and am thankful everytime your advice is offered.

I hope the positive feel continues for a long time.

PS: The many different types of English (US, UK, AUS etc) are all dialects of the English language. Although some Linguists (mainly American) beleive the language is evolving and not just changing due to Geographical isolation. Abit like the difference between Middle English V's Modern English.

I've seen other boards lose really dedicated and helpful members because of immaturity (their stated reasons for leaving) on the boards. The sites then tend to lose integrity and subsequently collapse because it turns out they held a lot of water.

Right on Iceburg19! If you wanna bitch about proper spelling and puncuation, go teach english. I have never understood why some people act like you are personally attacking them if you do not use proper grammar. Probably the same people who post just to be an ass and tell you in a rude way to use search or tell you your topic is stupid.

I guess some people just have to much time to kill if they get upset about spelling on a website.

People don't join this web site to get bitched at about spelling. If someone does not take me seriously because I spell a word incorrectly or have a comma out of place I would not want their input anyways.

People don't join this web site to get bitched at about spelling. If someone does not take me seriously because I spell a word incorrectly or have a comma out of place I would not want their input anyways.

Then it sounds as we are in agreement. You do not want it, we will not offer it....

Commas and misspellings are not bad - but the whole "wut" and "sum" crap is just ignorant.

rinkrat 94,i have never cared about how anyone was spelling or misspelling words .i dont care if you can spell or not ,im here to talk hockey.i have never bitched about anyones spelling.so i dont know whats up your ass nor do i care.

I don't care if you misspell things occasionally or miss a comma here and there. What really bothers me is stuff like this:

I just wan sme advise on wat sk8s 2 bye.

I whant be advice on what to have skates buy.

I, just want advice on what, skates to by.

Not only does it make it impossible to translate for members that don't speak/read english but it's difficult for any random person, like myself, to read.

If I see more than one post in a thread that is written soo carelessly that I can barely understand what was meant I simply ignore the rest of their posts. Which works fine for me but it isn't very good for the user if he or she has a question that needs an answer(assuming everyone is following the same or a similar practice).

oops i think i just attacked rink rat 94 on accident,sorry man ,listen guys this is a very good hockey site ,we have a lot of different people from some different back grounds the one thing in commen is hockey,my computer skills are not very good ,if it werent for my kids i might not have one.im a old school ,blue collar worker,my spelling isnt so great but i hope i get the point across just so we could talk about the sport ,i am know one to judge anybody,for the people who put this site together i respect modsquadhockey.com and your hard work.Robert Burger(iceburg19)

I do not think anyone is asking that we be English majors. But using seventh grade grammar and punctuation should not be too much to ask. I am a blue collar shift working union dues paying working stiff myself. No one wants to read long and fancy words any more than painfully lazy posts. I think TBLfan's examples were perfect. Those kinds of writing habits are the ones that drive people away from a particular thread. When that happens, it does no one any good.

Edit for Spelling :D :P

exactly, the extreme examples I posted are the only ones that really get on my nerves. Sure, I notice plenty of mistakes in many posts on here but as long as you make your point clear. I'm not saying in any way that we all spell and write grammatically perfect(I make mistakes all the time, notice how many times I edit my posts!!!), I just ask that you proof read your posts to make sure that your point comes across clear.

One easily understood post eliminates three posts asking you "What the hell are you talking about?"

I'm glad you noticed I was on your side Iceburg19. Some of you have made some good points. I would say that 99 percent of the posts that I have read on this site have had good grammar and spelling. I have read the occasional post that seemed like it was written by a 5 year old. That is going to happen on a site that has thousands of members, it is unavoidable. This has been mentioned, but we all need to remember that some of the members of this site don't speak english as there first language. What I don't understand is why does anyone get upset when they read a post with poor grammar? I am not trying to pick a fight, I just don't get it.

I hope you're not thinking that I'm one that gets upset when someone uses poor grammar, because I don't. I do get annoyed when someone writes something I can barely understand. I would also rather listen to advice from someone using correct grammar over someone that doesn't but that's just the way I am.

We're not asking everyone to be perfect, simply that you make an effort to be understood by as many people as possible.