Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asr

How often should skates be sharpened?

I usually go every 4-5 ice times but recently I've been honing my skates between games so I can get more skates in between games

Once a month tops. Sharp skates for me are only good on shredded ice, and since I play in C league and Open hockeys only, none of us are cutting it up like I've seen after the 3rd period of an NHL game or a 'skate with the pro's' after practice type skate. I may run the skatemate on them once a week before a game or after I catch a bad edge or a deep rut.

Once a month is my standard with a touch up every here and there. Maybe after my ankles get stronger I'll be digging deeper and dulling my skates more quickly, but even in my HS hayday, It was never more than twice a month under normal circumstances.

with my vapor skates ( LS2 ) it was about 4-6 games , my ag120's ( pitch 3 ) its about 6-8 times. not sure why , but the pitch steel just seems to feel sharper, longer

I get mine sharpened about every 6 times I skate. How often you need you skates sharpened is really dependent on how sharp you like your skates to me about how hard you skate (skating harder puts more stress on your blades, so they will get dull quicker), so there really is no, "normal" time for how often you should need your skates sharpened.

Mine haven't been done since the beginning of June and I had them done at an 1" and I skate 3-4 times a week :unsure:

so around 20 weeks at 3-4 times a week , that means you've skated 60-80 times on one sharpening? just does'nt seem right.

so around 20 weeks at 3-4 times a week , that means you've skated 60-80 times on one sharpening? just does'nt seem right.

Honing stone can be your best friend to save edges when you're on a shallow cut, this isn't usually the norm..... Sometimes I end up with two sharpenings a week just depends on luck I guess

I'm the ice at least 4x times a week. I use 90/75. I sharpen 4 times a year at the max. I really only get my skates sharpen only when my blades get really dinged up.

Is this sharp??

I sharpen my wheels every 4-5 times on the ice.

1/2 weekly.. depends though.. sometimes you step on sticks.. go feet first into the boards, and also really bad ice can ruin steel

Unless I mess up an edge on a post or a stick I tend to get my skates sharpened after 5-7 skates depending on the time of the year and how the ice has been lately. I do skate on a 3/4 inch hollow, but I don't really know if that really would make much of a difference.

Charles

It used to be every two weeks or so with 6-10 hours a week, but since I've moved to 11/16" I get a lot more life since the dropoff of edge 'grip' isn't as dramatic as when something like 1/2" goes dull. Now I get them sharpened either when the skates start slipping out from under me completely (after a month or two) or when I get large nicks in the blade.

If I feel them slip or not bite enough I've waited too long. Usually, no more than four sessions that way I don't have to adjust at all when I get them done. I want them to feel exactly the same every time I step on the ice.

I skate on 5/8" and I usually sharpen them when I roll an edge. I've been getting older and lazier on the ice so I like the glide that I get from "broken in" edges.

Mine haven't been done since the beginning of June and I had them done at an 1" and I skate 3-4 times a week :unsure:

I skate on 3/4" and haven't done mine in I'd say about 4 months and I'm on the ice 4-5 times a week. Nice to hear I'm not alone haha

Im usually every 6-8 times (hours) on the ice, however I bought this new sharpening tool called Edge Again and Im more like 12-16 times between sharpenings.

I skate on 3/4" and haven't done mine in I'd say about 4 months and I'm on the ice 4-5 times a week. Nice to hear I'm not alone haha

I used to wait a long time between getting skates sharpened, but am now getting them done more frequently for the same reason mentioned above so there is less variance when I'm on the ice.

Quick question for Chadd and the others that get a sharpening after every 4 skates. About how long on average does a set of steel last when you're getting them sharpened that regularly?

About 6-8 hours of skating. I have 3 sets of steel so I only have to go about every 4-6 months. Since I drive about an hour to get FBV it makes it a lot easier.