Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BK

Best bands that you're not listening to.

Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci is his end-all solo song if you ask me. A good start into his stuff. The YouTube video of Glasgow Kiss:

Yes Glasgow Kiss is amazing. There are many solid tracks from his album Suspended Animation. If you like Glasgow, check out Tunnel Vision and Jaws Of Life.

Agreed again. And to further add to the growing list: Michael Angelo Batio (too many notes, not enough music, though if you like Malmsteen, you'll like him), Jibilian (crazy funk Stick player) and completely nothing like the other two mentioned: The Koffin Kats (Detroit psychobilly).

Some of MAB is good, but for the most part I do not like him. He tries to play as many notes as fast as possible and string them into a song. Most of his mellow stuff is amazing tho. For mellow guitar based songs check out Buckethead's Colma. It is nothing like his industrial shread style that he normally plays.

Liquid Tension Expirement

Consists of Dream Theater's John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Jordan Rudess, along with Tony Levin on bass. they released 2 instrumental cds which have some of the best instrumentals I have ever herd. I highly suggest any Prog fan to check them out.

Big fan of DT, I'll have to check into that.

An Endless Sporadic

They hit it big with a song in Guitar Hero 3 but, they just released a 5 song ep and it is brilliant. I love every song on it, great instrumentals I definanlty suggest checking them out.

Recently joined a ska band and dug into my old collection and found these gems (if you like ska anyhow)

Streetlight Manifesto (I think they've been mentioned)

Deal's Gone Bad

The Johnstones

Go Jimmy Go

The Suicide Machines (one of my favorite Detroit bands)

and also some good Detroit pop-punk and psychobilly

The HandMe Downs

Koffin Kats

Mustard Plug for sure. Dave always remembers my name when I go to see them play. Cool guys, great band.

keys to a ska collecion are definantly reel big fish, goldfinger, mustard plug, and the mighty mighty bosstones

What about the specials, madness, the Beat? Those are your ska keys there.

As for bands people might not be listening to, I just gave a friend a copy of 1999, an album by Cassius. They are part of the french house wave that came through (at least back home) maybe 10 years ago, with Daft Punk, Air, etc.

Sort of funky mellow house.

I've had it on all day, great music

The Suicide Machines (one of my favorite Detroit bands)

Destruction By Definition was a badass album. I never really liked any of Suicide Machines other albums. I saw them once at the Pine Knob Warped Tour and they played about twice as fast as they do on the album. It was pretty great.

Edited by number21

keys to a ska collecion are definantly reel big fish, goldfinger, mustard plug, and the mighty mighty bosstones

Um, I'm going to have to disagree with you there slapshot. Those bands could be considered key to a 3rd Wave Ska collection. The real "keys" to a ska collection would have to include the Toasters(especially when Coolie Ranx was in the band), Operation Ivy, 2tone era bands like the Specials and Madness, then the classics like Laurel Aitken and the Skatallites, and Desmond Dekker. On top of that I would have to mention a few other bands like, the Pilfers, Slapstick, The Slackers, and the Mad Caddies.

Its too bad the mainstream chewed up Ska and spit it out in the late 90's, early 00's. These days were only left with a handful of bands touring and putting out good stuff. Who knows, maybe another wave of Ska is right around the corner.

Thank god no one mentioned Suburban Legends. You could go on for days stsating what would be a necessity record to a ska collection. If you like ska, you'll have a good mix of all three waves. Not to mention reggae and some 20's-30's swing which were some important building blocks to what ska is now.

For kids my age what I listed are the keys to a good ska collection. All the bands everyone else has listed are also very good and I have albums from all of them. From what ive seen when people are just getting into ska the bands I listed are the ones that are generally listened to are the 3rd wave bands, not to many kids arround here dig deep into music like a few of my friends and I do.

go audio

avenged sevenfold

the wombats

say anything (wow, i can get sexual to, best song ever)

the used

scouting for girls

the kooks

zebrahead

scary kids scaring kids

new found glory

boys like girls

paramore

madina lake

Funeral for a friend

the almost

rise against

bowling for soup

the list goes on, all rock- indy- metal depending on what you like, im 17 so it varies all the time. props to a friend for giving me half those bands.

Edited by adam14