Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BK

Best bands that you're not listening to.

Hardly unknown bands...but I was watching some early 90's Blues Traveller and Gin Blossoms today on youtube. So much better than a lot of what passes for music & singing (*cough* auto-tune *cough*) these days.

Agreed, but, playing to click tracks is much the same. Step outside of the click track and you've got trouble.

Click tracks and pro tools have ruined the recording industry almost as much as autotune, they just did it more subtly.

Been on a little bit of a Post Rock binge lately heres some great bands that people should totally check out:

El Ten Eleven

65daysofstatic

The Six Parts Seven

Form & Fate

Glider

Steve Kimock Band

The Hot Rocks

Kinski

There's nothing wrong with click tracks, some guys are good at playing with them some aren't. The groove is how you play around the mathematical beat, that's true with or without a click. If there are any sequenced parts in a recording a click is pretty much a necessity.

The one band I've really got into lately is Fang Island, I don't even know how to describe them. Artsy noisy prog or something.

I don't know, if you need that much help to put the song together then you probably can't play it live with the bodies/talent you've got, anyway. As much as I didn't like the garage quality of the production, I did like the idea when Metallica recorded by just dumping the 4 guys in the studio and they just had at it. At least you know that what you got on the record is what you'll get on the stage.

There's nothing wrong with click tracks, some guys are good at playing with them some aren't. The groove is how you play around the mathematical beat, that's true with or without a click. If there are any sequenced parts in a recording a click is pretty much a necessity.

The one band I've really got into lately is Fang Island, I don't even know how to describe them. Artsy noisy prog or something.

Most recordings anymore fit the beat to the click so they can cut and paste things more easily on the computer. It's the loss of "swing" and feel in songs that makes them sound so sterile.

I don't know, if you need that much help to put the song together then you probably can't play it live with the bodies/talent you've got, anyway. As much as I didn't like the garage quality of the production, I did like the idea when Metallica recorded by just dumping the 4 guys in the studio and they just had at it. At least you know that what you got on the record is what you'll get on the stage.

When I was working in the studio, that was my preferred method. Record the band live until you get a good take, then punch in any dubs. Obviously it does depend on the band and the style, but most bands put out a better recording that way. A lot of players just aren't comfortable with the method of building a song track by track and you lose a lot of energy in the song.

Most recordings anymore fit the beat to the click so they can cut and paste things more easily on the computer. It's the loss of "swing" and feel in songs that makes them sound so sterile.

You can still play to a click and swing, groove, whatever you want to call it. The groove of a band is how you are pushing or dragging the beat. The tempo is still consistent, but the subtle push/pull gives it the feel.

what chadd is referring to, more specifically, is the "grid" in which the drummer is not only playing to a click but the engineer (or whoever is behind the board) places each hit so that it's lined up perfectly on the recording program's grid. this not only makes it easier to crank out hit songs as a section that occurs multiple times in one song is just played once then pasted as necessary, but leaves you you with tracks that are in "perfect time" (and usually bereft of feel) that are as easily digestible as possible. that's how they crank out the nickelback/three doors down etc. garbage

what chadd is referring to, more specifically, is the "grid" in which the drummer is not only playing to a click but the engineer (or whoever is behind the board) places each hit so that it's lined up perfectly on the recording program's grid. this not only makes it easier to crank out hit songs as a section that occurs multiple times in one song is just played once then pasted as necessary, but leaves you you with tracks that are in "perfect time" (and usually bereft of feel) that are as easily digestible as possible. that's how they crank out the nickelback/three doors down etc. garbage

That's just misuse of a click track. As with anything, it's a tool, and can be abused or used as an asset.

It started with pop stuff and drum machines a long time ago, but they've only recently decided to remove the soul from just about every recording.

While we're discussing recording process, something else that pisses me off is that loudness war going on where many producers record albums so loud and overcompressed that the albums clip like a bitch making some albums unlistenable... it's even worst once you transfer it to your Ipod/MP3 player.

While we're discussing recording process, something else that pisses me off is that loudness war going on where many producers record albums so loud and overcompressed that the albums clip like a bitch making some albums unlistenable... it's even worst once you transfer it to your Ipod/MP3 player.

Without quiet parts, the loud parts just don't seem as loud. You lose a lot of dynamics when you compress everything and crank it up.

Interesting link that I found a bit pertinent to this recent thread about studio recording, autotune, click tracks, etc..

Nice video, the band does a pretty good job in the end. It takes more time, but it produces a better product in the end.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I listen to stuff on headphones a majority of the time since I can at work and by the end of the day your ears get fatigued. I like the old Live stuff, totally dynamic in intensity and loudness to great effect.

Without quiet parts, the loud parts just don't seem as loud. You lose a lot of dynamics when you compress everything and crank it up.

Exactly on top of making albums sounding really bad and muddy when there's too much going on. On very good exemple of that is Metallica's Death Magnetic. I love the album but the Guitar Hero is so much better than the actual CD. There are many other "unlistenable" albums out there that have been butchered by producers playing to close or over the limits of recording/mastering. Some do it for radio play. The song being louder usually catches the listeners attention a bit more or can simply annoy him a lot. Just look at the publicity on radio stations. It's so loud that it drives me up the wall. Others claim that they want to make the album sound raw and in your face. Sorry dude but you just made a great album, at least for some, sound like a big steamy pile of donkey dung.

Had a great time at this show, glad to see some of the video is finally online. I remember going to see them in some of the worst dives in the area, funny to see them in an "opera house" this time.