Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wicked 3 Pain

Ok, so I've had the Wicked 3s for several weeks, and played in 7 games with them. Most of the boot fits great, no pain, nothing...but, the ankle bite is still killin me. I have bruises on both ankles, inside and out. My one ankle is swollen and it hurts to wear some shoes because they dig into the ankle.

What I want to know is this going to go away? I know they should break-in, but I'm starting to get a little worried. My brother is using a pair of old Easton skates that I converted, and they are very broken in, but still give him bad lace bite. I'm thinking some skates just aren't cut out for some people. These Wicked 3s might be the case for me.

Can I expect the pain to go away?

it hurts man, but it should go away. my ankle pain is gone, but the blisters still wont stop. i found that spot punching the boot then baking it helps. on monday night for the local ironman series i used 2 bandaids, ankle wrap(on my foot) and 2 socks ON EACH FOOT. i felt fine with all that. after a while i forgot i had it on. the only problem with that is the boot is now wide and i have to continue to wear 2 pair of socks. the blisters still wont stop though.

when there's no pain you can fly on those things though.

Yeah it's a great boot, no doubt. My teammate saw my ankle and wants nothing to do with the Missions now. I told him it's probably an isolated incident. But my ankles are pretty bad.

The difference in skate quality these days really does astound me. I mean when you look at the past few Nike Models for eg: (Hi-Ho Silver, Roller Daddy etc) they were essentially a skate that when you first put it on it was made to fit. But with this "made to fit" build we also saw (and I experienced first hand) a lower than average life-span.

Then we have the new Mission skates, essentially a skate that is built to perform and last as long as possible. It seems the extra longevity pumped into these skates isn't without its drawbacks as #96 has experienced. Maybe his issues are unique to his build/foot/skate combination, maybe not.

I guess my question is this.... Do you guys ever think we can find a happy medium ground where our skates will last, perform to the optimum and also feel like slippers out of the box? I know to the manfacturers it may seem like allot but as Herb Brooks said.... "We do not persue our goals because they are easy, we do so because they are hard

I purchased the wicked one's and experienced the same ankle pain. I tried baking them several times and the pain continued to exist. I wore them every night for a week for approx 1 hour at home and they still kill me. My ankles are red and sore.......I can stand some pain no doubt about it-recently had a tib-fib fracture but this is crazy... I am thinking about sending these back and purchasing the rbk 8k pumps.... I also had them punched but this did not help. What is up Justin? The guy at e-puck told him it took him approx. two months to break in... There should be a balance between the cost of the skates, break in time, longevity, durability, etc.

I do not own the Wickeds, but I do have the 9500's from last year. I cannot blame Mission or Justin for giving the customer (you guys) what they (you) want. Over the last year I have been reading more posts than can be counted how y'all wanted "stiffer, faster, more performance, and stiffer, and tougher, and lighter, and how stiffer is better", and on and on. Did I mention you wanted the stiffest boot? Well, Mission gave the customers what they were clamoring for. Maybe the happy medium is the 9500 or 10k from last year.... Or just give it a few months.

The thought has crossed my mind that the pain may never go away. My season ends in a week and half, so I'll have used these a total of 12 hours by then. That should be enough time to loosen up a skate, at least I would think so. If they aren't significantly better by then, they're going back. It's one thing to experience pain on the court, but it's another thing to have to live with this pain in everyday life. I can't wear work shoes without them digging into my sore ankle!

there is a way to get top of the line skates and have them fit like a dream and the answer is kor... now if i can only mount a roller hockey chassis on them. B)

Does anybody know if the wicked 5s are stiffer then last years 7500s and also does anyone know if they are lighter, and if so by how much?

my friend is having exactly the same ankle pain as you guys. His ankles are very sore too but he did say they were getting better. I do think the skates will be fine eventually it's just gonna take a loooong time.

blisters now in a new place.....................................................

im gonna just put the chassis on my ice boot and call it a day......

i may have a pair of wicked 1 size 11d boots for sale VERY SOON

Man, with all the problems I'm reading with the 1's and 3's, I am a bit worried about getting the wicked 5's. :(

Justin said the ankle pains are only associated with the 1s and 3s, not turning up with any of the other models.

The other models do not have the composite ankle counter. That piece, mixed with the stiffeners we used is the main issue.

These skates are going to take time to break in...As I said earlier, I apologize for the pain these skates have caused.

We built these skates based on the feedback of the players - "We are sick of high-end skates lasting 6 months. We want something super stiff, durable, and light."

I will say that I am definitely looking at finding the happy medium for this issue on the 2008 skate line. Unfortunately, I don't think people will ever be satisfied...Oh well, I guess that it is a good thing....If everyone was satisified, I would be out of a job.

The other models do not have the composite ankle counter. That piece, mixed with the stiffeners we used is the main issue.

These skates are going to take time to break in...As I said earlier, I apologize for the pain these skates have caused.

We built these skates based on the feedback of the players - "We are sick of high-end skates lasting 6 months. We want something super stiff, durable, and light."

I will say that I am definitely looking at finding the happy medium for this issue on the 2008 skate line. Unfortunately, I don't think people will ever be satisfied...Oh well, I guess that it is a good thing....If everyone was satisified, I would be out of a job.

Amen bro! As someone who likes to make everyone happy, I was recently told there's a 12 step program to cure that need. :lol:

I have used mission skates exclusively since I began playing, and have no intentions of changing. My two pairs of d2c's are still holding up good, but I am excited about the wicked series and want to get a pair.

So, are the wicked 5's coming out soon? I am still interested in a pair.

Well, there ya' go. I think Mission is a terrific example of a company devoted to and driven by the consumer. They give you what you want. That is what a company is supposed to do.

i think that most people would sacrifice a few extra grams of weight for a more comfortable boot. given the pain and time to break in, a few grams of lining on the inside of the boot would be a fine trade when thinking of time, pain, weight and price.

That should teach you to listen to customers Justin. They never really want what they think they want.

That should teach you to listen to customers Justin. They never really want what they think they want.

lol...

I know I know...Damn my marketing background...Those market research classes didn't pay off...Someday I will create the ultimate in comfort, performance, and weight.... :P

lol...

I know I know...Damn my marketing background...Those market research classes didn't pay off...Someday I will create the ultimate in comfort, performance, and weight.... :P

You did, the S500.

all good points but there should be a line of how much pain customers have to go through. it's not like we're all new to hockey skates who never experienced "break in time" with other skates which have held up just fine. so if we have just about everyone that i've seen and heard of complain about this then we've got a problem. if this was a car, tv or who knows what else with the same percentage of complaints as these skates then there would of been a recall