Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bazli21

Skate Sharpening 101

The wissota holder is pretty solid. The only thing that could change is the forward/backward tilt of the faceplate (to change the angle of attack on the wheel), but even that is relatively solid. It is a spring loaded dial so it does take some pressure to move it, but it would probably get off if you dropped it. The cams and rest of the unit would not. They lock down pretty damned tight.

The skate blade is solid once you lock it in place.

The dial is the only thing that you can move at will once the wissota holder is set up.

The Wissota doesn't compare to the newer holders from BM, BS and ME.

You first have to separate what type of sharpening you are doing, running a business or home sharpening. For the later, the Wissota is awesome. I can sharpen any skate as good with a Wissota than ANY other machine. Beautiful finish and perfect level edges and smooth consistent hollow. Now if you want speed, the Wissota is not the machine.

You first have to separate what type of sharpening you are doing, running a business or home sharpening. For the later, the Wissota is awesome. I can sharpen any skate as good with a Wissota than ANY other machine. Beautiful finish and perfect level edges and smooth consistent hollow. Now if you want speed, the Wissota is not the machine.

I was just comparing the holders. It wouldn't really be fair to compare machines that are 10-20 times the cost of the Wissota.

hey guys...i just picked an old sharpening thread rather than start a new one. Im a tender, started to play some forward this year. Looking for some better balance. My new wheels have been sharpened a few times, and Im just wondering if there is any tricks to help me stop looking like bambi out there. Can you "flatten" and extend the length of the blade at all? and would a bit deeper hollow benefit me? thanks for any help...and yes I am trying to work around my skates, rather than have my skates work for me!

Advice needed...

I'm sharpening in my home now on a machine my Grandpa made. It works great but I'm in need of a tool to check if I've gotten the edges level. I've seen in this thread that opinions vary a bit on the model of choice.

My question is for all the sharpeners out there...what tool would you purchase for home use?

Advice needed...

I'm sharpening in my home now on a machine my Grandpa made. It works great but I'm in need of a tool to check if I've gotten the edges level. I've seen in this thread that opinions vary a bit on the model of choice.

My question is for all the sharpeners out there...what tool would you purchase for home use?

This is what I got to go with my EZ Sharp at home. I can't remember how much it was but I want to say $50-60.

I've seen people try to use credit cards and even entire wallets when I give skates back to them. Maybe give those a whirl... :blink:

Advice needed...

A quarter perhaps.

Hope you aren't planning to use the credit card because you just demagnetized it.

Normal household magnets shouldn't damage magnetic strips in any way, fridge magnets are around 10x less powerful then those with the potential for damage.

Although I don't think it's a wise idea to experiment.

Hope you aren't planning to use the credit card because you just demagnetized it.

Only if he used a neodynium magnet... or something along those lines...

I know i misspelled that too

In the CCM rocket runner directions they show a 'CCM Edge Checker'. Has anyone seen these before? Where do you get them?

A quick, easy, and economical way to accurately check your edges without having to remove skate from the holder during the sharpening process.

1) How?

2) What's the point? If the edges are off, you're going to have to take the skate out of the holder to make the adjustments, anyways.

A quick, easy, and economical way to accurately check your edges without having to remove skate from the holder during the sharpening process.

1) How?

2) What's the point? If the edges are off, you're going to have to take the skate out of the holder to make the adjustments, anyways.

no, you leave the skate in the holder and just adjust the cam lever (or screw depending on what model holder you are using)

Funny that something important has not been mentioned - heat. You do not want to overheat the blade.

Different types of wheels will call for different types of pressure.

The guy who sold me the machine told me that i'll definitely be breaking blades the first time i do it.. now i'm not living in canada or us where skates are readily available.. so i'd like to avoid this as much as possible. is overheating a cause of blade breakage?

can i cool it down with a wet towel or something?

i know nothing about sharpening but i do know some things about metals. if you drastically change the temperature of a metal you will cause it to crack. so if the metal is really hot do not cool it off fast or it will crack

I have a Blackstone X-01 and I check the edges with a BR-100. I am used to there being some adjustment from skate to skate, even within a particular pair. However, I just bought me a pair of Crazy Lights last week and the difference between the two skates is around 20 clicks (one skate is in the same ballpark as the rest of the skates I do and the other is around 20 clicks out). This is by far the biggest difference I have seen between two skates from a single pair. It kind of freaks me out that it is on my new $600 skates. For those of you that sharpen a lot of skates, is that an excessive amount of difference or should I not be worried about it (incidentally, only the blade is touching the holder, I have made sure of it).

Thanks.