Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

90-96 

definitely want a 6 speed. But that’s really the only “wants”

6 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

What're you looking for, specifically?

Mark

Howdy,

3 hours ago, jlt73 said:

90-96 

definitely want a 6 speed. But that’s really the only “wants”

Cool, if I see something I'll let you know.

FWIW, the LT4 seems like a better way to go motor-wise.  If I remember my C4 knowledge right, all the manual transmission '96's got it, not just the Grand Sport.  The L98 got replaced by the LT1 in '92 apparently.  My dad has an '89 with the L98 and I will confirm that its got a bunch of torque, but pretty uninspiring 'feel' since it doesn't really rev.  A '96 Manual Trans car would be what I'd be after if I wanted a C4.

I'm interested to know why '90?  I didn't think there was much of any difference between the '89 - '91 C4's...

Btw, I don't want to be 'that guy', but if you can swing just a little bit more money, the c5 is a better performing car in every measurable way.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Cool, if I see something I'll let you know.

FWIW, the LT4 seems like a better way to go motor-wise.  If I remember my C4 knowledge right, all the manual transmission '96's got it, not just the Grand Sport.  The L98 got replaced by the LT1 in '92 apparently.  My dad has an '89 with the L98 and I will confirm that its got a bunch of torque, but pretty uninspiring 'feel' since it doesn't really rev.  A '96 Manual Trans car would be what I'd be after if I wanted a C4.

I'm interested to know why '90?  I didn't think there was much of any difference between the '89 - '91 C4's...

Btw, I don't want to be 'that guy', but if you can swing just a little bit more money, the c5 is a better performing car in every measurable way.

Mark

90 was the first year they got rid of a lot of the digital dash that just about always goes out. 

I like the c5. But the c4 body style looks amazing to me. The c5 got a little fat in the back end. Ideally I’d like a zr1 but those haven’t been very easy to locate without being way too high price wise. 

• Like 1

Not anything exotic or overly fancy, but decided my Escape was bigger than I needed, so I traded it in a couple weeks ago for a Focus.

Focus_zpskhrzbzka.jpg

Has the winter package. Heated seats, steering wheel and mirrors, with remote start. All features I've never had in a vehicle before, so I'm enjoying it. Also enjoying filling up for less than $40 and having that last over a week.

• Like 3

Howdy,

2 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Do new car engines still need to be broken in? I’m having a new car (2019 model) delivered this week and I can’t seem to get a straight answer from googling.  

Depends.  The short answer is to just do what the owners manual tells you to do.  Actual engineers for the thing you're using almost always beat Google.

Mark

On 9/8/2019 at 7:43 PM, shooter27 said:

Do new car engines still need to be broken in? I’m having a new car (2019 model) delivered this week and I can’t seem to get a straight answer from googling.  

Owner's manual will tell you the steps to follow, but generally they are nothing drastic. The guidelines will tell you to probably not tow or to keep the revs from staying at a continuous speed over a long distance for the first couple hundred of miles. Some performance oriented cars will require a servicing at the dealer after a few hundred miles, but this isn't common in mainstream cars. 

• Like 1

So a gas station by me sells 101 octane “racing fuel” at the pump. I’m guessing it’s meant for supercars and the like (I live in the Brentwood neighborhood of LA so there are a lot of mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc around). I’m wondering at what level of car does fuel like this become necessary? Can you drive a mclaren or a Bugatti on 91 octane or does it need something like this?

I have a Mercedes E53 amg coupe, would the 101 run in my car or would it kill the engine? If so, would my car run any better than on 91? The stuff costs $10/gallon so I’m not going to use it on the regular, but kinda want to experiment with it. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

Generally speaking, additional octane for an engine that doesn't need it actually hurts performance, vs. helping it.  Short version, its extremely unlikely to help your car's performance and might have negative effects.

Octane is a measurement of the resistance to detonation, which is another way of saying that its slower/requires more energy to ignite as octane goes up.  The reason some racing engines require higher octane fuel is that they have a significantly higher compression ratio than 'normal' engine.  That higher amount of compression can inadvertenly ignite the fuel mixture of a lower octane fuel, so racing fuel is used that resists that early ignition / detonation better.  If your engine isn't a very high compression racing engine, there's no need for the higher octane fuel and if there is any effect, its that it will slightly hurt performance.

Having said that... The amount of timing advance can also play into performance.  More advance == more performance, at least up to a point.  The issue with more advance is that again, it can cause detonation and higher octane can help limit that.  So _if_ your engine has enough compression _and_ it has tuning/sensors that can take advantage of higher than normal octane fuel, you _might_ see a performance benefit from increasing octane over the normal 93 'super' level.  But its more likely that none of that will apply and you'll just be burning up $10/gallon fuel that will have a negative effect if it has any effect at all.

YMMV.  Literally.  🙂

Mark

I've seen motorcycles do it. I'm in your boat and didn't want to blow up my engine. I had a friend in high school fill his 67 Camaros tank too many times with Av Gas at a small airport and the engine eventually blew up. You can mix octanes though so you don't go too high. I tried it in my 89 GTI in the 90's but mixed it cuz I was afraid to blow up my engine. Don't remember what octane but it was in the middle. I really didn't notice any difference. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=32178&stc=1&

Howdy,

Oh and yes, super car or not doesn't really matter a lot here.  Any 'super car' made for normal road use in the USA will run just fine on 93 octane fuel / is designed & engineered to use that fuel.  Racing fuel is (99%) for _actual_ racing.

Mark

Thanks for the explanation. I definitely won’t mess with it then. Given what you said, I’m kinda surprised they sell it around here since I don’t know many people that are in to racing and/or tricking out their engines by messing with things like compression ratios. 

They have the same thing at the pumps in the town my wife works in, but the median home value there is ~4M and that's only because there are "small" homes around the perimeter of the town dragging the average down. Most of the time it's not necessary, but just like my wife's car says right on the gas cap "91+ octane only" while I'm sure the 87 would be just fine, for a couple extra bucks you might as well. I'm sure guys driving $250k cars don't really care about the premium they're paying.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 2.15.58 PM.png