Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

Okay so, I've been looking around, and I found a Jeep.

It's an '89. I know it's old. I got the guy to send me some pictures, before I make the hour long trip to see it. The pics look great. Only one rust spot, by the hood. and it need's the horn re-wired to certify. And, it will pass E-test fine. Other than that, its good. It's got a hard top, soft top, a lift, and 33's on it.. I'll also be taking the door's off. Basically, what I'mm asking is, has anyone had experiences with Jeep's like these that could give me some input before I bite. Such as gas mileage etc.

I'll post up some pic's if anyone wants to look.

I love jeeps, but I gotta say I'm not a fan of any of them that don't come with the FI'd 4.0L. That engine is a complete beast, me and two friends were able to drive an hour home after he blew two cylinders at 375k miles.

Ive had a few cars:

- Toyota Celica

- AE86 Toyota Sprinter

- Mazda 626 (220kw@w's)

- VW type 3 Wagon (Dak Dak)

- S13 Nissan Silvia

- and currently drive a Nissan Poosar because im back at school and not working much lol

im looking into trading my 03 jeep grand cherokee in for an 05 chrysler 300, i searched the thread and did not see any one with the vehicle, anyone have any experience with them? i have yet to test drive any but i was wondering if anyone has driven the 05' base or touring edition and how the 2.7L compares to the 3.5L v6 engine. also was wondering on the traction in winter and slick conditions (i know its RWD). im also looking at a 05 dodge magnum, on the odd chance that someone has driven both what would you reccomend?

any input is appreciated.

Well I can tell you about the 300C as I just bought myself one on the weekend. It has the 5.7L V8 Hemi. It's a very smooth ride very comfortable as I drove it from where I live now to my home town which is a 6 hour drive. Cost's around $70 to fill the tank as it has a 71 litre tank/19 gallons. As for the traction I can't give you an opinion on that yet but it does have ESP which is electronic stability program and it automatically engages when needed. As for everything else it was pretty much everything there is an on board computer that keeps an eye on all your fluid levels and tire pressure, back up sensors so you don't run into anything while reversing, leather interior and tons of storage room for probably 4 hockey bags if you folded down the rear seats. I'd imagine the 2.7 and 3.5 litres are a bit better on gas for city driving but if your going to do lots of highway driving then the Hemi is about the same for gas mileage as the others because while your cruising on the highway it shuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders so your pretty much burning as much gas as everything else on the road but city driving it sucks up the gas pretty quick. Also i'm pretty sure the 300's and the magnum's are very similar in the performance area just the interior and things like that would differ but I could be wrong. If you have any questions just let me know.

I drove my cousins Hemi and a rental 3.5L. The 5.7 Was balls out the whole time and I loved it, hauled ass all over the place. The 3.5 was a whole different story, it might have been because it was a rental but it felt sucked out and starved for power for what I felt is a pretty large car. I loved sitting in both but the engine difference was enough for me to stay far away from that car. Another difference is that the 300C was AWD but it still felt like I was driving my truck instead of a car.

i was attracted to both of the cars becasue im coming from my v8 jeep fuel hog, and seeing the option of having a 2.7 or even a 3.5 is much more appealing then my 4.7 v8. i also like them both because i do need a large car, but trying to beat the system and still get decent mileage out of it. i like how the trunk on the 300 is enourmous and i also like the look of the "sporty" wagon of the magnum. did you get the AWD option of did you stick with the RWD? im curious on handeling and how you like the interior layout.

No ESP or any electronic stability program is going to help you in the snow. All it does is apply the breaks and try to even out power. If you are living in an area with a lot of snow, get AWD.

No RWD car is going to do well in the snow. I have had 3 RWD cars, and I lived in jersey, where the snow isnt so bad. If your living in Michigan, I suggest getting AWD. Look into a g35x or an a4 quattro

No RWD car is going to do well in the snow. I have had 3 RWD cars, and I lived in jersey, where the snow isnt so bad. If your living in Michigan, I suggest getting AWD. Look into a g35x or an a4 quattro

The Fiero I had in college was the best car I ever drove in the snow. Then again, the engine sitting right above the rear axle had a lot to do with that.

last year we only had 2 real snows, the cars you have mentioned are out of my price range, i appreciate your attempt at help, but im really looking for info on the 300 and magnum.

The RWD versions are not as good in the snow as the AWD versions. Since you aren't listening to any of the advice given, you wight as well just do whatever you're planning on and get it over with.

The RWD versions are not as good in the snow as the AWD versions. Since you aren't listening to any of the advice given, you wight as well just do whatever you're planning on and get it over with.

i understand that 100%, but you must agree that there are some RWD cars that perform better in snow than others, do you not? im looking for a comparitive analyisis i guess is the best way to put it.

i understand that 100%, but you must agree that there are some RWD cars that perform better in snow than others, do you not? im looking for a comparitive analyisis i guess is the best way to put it.

You didn't seem to care about the comparative analysis of the engines.

No ESP or any electronic stability program is going to help you in the snow. All it does is apply the breaks and try to even out power. If you are living in an area with a lot of snow, get AWD.

You want to get a 4WD car. AWD doesn't improve snow driving a lot.

i understand that from the experience of the users that the 3.5 L seems lacking in power compared to the hemi, which was expected, and i am not looking for a ton of power, im looking for better fuel economy, therefore even tho the 3.5 is powerlacking, it sounds like the fuel exonomy is better which is what im shooting for. thanks for everyones help, im gonna go test drive a few on friday and hopefully have a new ride by the end of august.

For what it's worth, My A4 sucked in the snow.

i drive an A4 quattro wagon and its awesome in the snow. my dad drives my car over his BMW X5 if it snows. he said it's better than any car he's ever had.

I'll get back to you on that comparison in a few months as I'm picking up my X3 in 2 weeks. Also, I had 18's on the A4 which most likely played a major role in its poor performance in the snow. Shame on me for not picking up winter radials. :)

My Volvo XC70 is a beast in the snow, paid 8k for an '01 this last January. I plowed through powder that a 4wd Blazer got caught in and the interior is going to be leagues better than anything Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep put out. I was running Pirelli Scorpion STR's (SUV highway tires) and the Blazer had stock all-seasons.

Definitely worth checking out.

Edited by Rustpot