Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

You want to get a 4WD car. AWD doesn't improve snow driving a lot.

Driving my sisters A6 Quattro in the snow was a dream as compared to any of my RWD cars. The only difference between AWD and 4WD is the fact that AWD can not be put into 2WD mode

Edited by Vapor

I'll get back to you on that comparison in a few months as I'm picking up my X3 in 2 weeks. Also, I had 18's on the A4 which most likely played a major role in its poor performance in the snow. Shame on me for not picking up winter radials. :)

oh yeah, definitely need the winters on their. Also, i neglected to mention that the Audi is great, unless there's more than 2 inches you gotta go through, otherwise, your front end is snowplowing. That thing has ZERO clearance, i bottom out all the time on these shitty new hampshire roads.

Driving my sisters A6 Quattro in the snow was a dream as compared to any of my RWD cars. The only difference between AWD and 4WD is the fact that AWD can not be put into 2WD mode

Depends on the kind of AWD. The BS AWD that Honda puts in the acuras almost does more bad than good. Full-time AWD though like you'll find in a subaru is what's going to do great in bad weather.

I think you're referring to full-time 4WD compared to part-time 4WD.

The real difference is that AWD cars can't be put in to 4WD Low. Which has different gearing and provides more torque to drive through heavy snow or mud.

Blizzaks are all you need to get around in the winter.

^^^^What he said. Good rubber is a HUGE factor.

And I second whoever said Subaru. My Subaru was the best car ive driven in the snow hands down, compared to any SUV or car I have driven.

Edited by Cobra2717

People have driven RWD cars in the snow for the past 90 years. I live in buffalo and until about a month ago I was driving a mustang year round. Countless times I took the mustang through white outs and 12" snow drifts because I live out in the sticks and needed to get to work. I never ditched the car or got stuck once.

If the car you want is RWD, and thats what you want then buy it, learn how to drive it in the winter and you'll be fine. Good snow tires are a must, but dont let people talk you out of the car you want just because of the snow. If your smart enough to be easy on the gas and the brake, theres no reason why you can't drive a RWD year round.

People have driven RWD cars in the snow for the past 90 years. I live in buffalo and until about a month ago I was driving a mustang year round. Countless times I took the mustang through white outs and 12" snow drifts because I live out in the sticks and needed to get to work. I never ditched the car or got stuck once.

If the car you want is RWD, and thats what you want then buy it, learn how to drive it in the winter and you'll be fine. Good snow tires are a must, but dont let people talk you out of the car you want just because of the snow. If your smart enough to be easy on the gas and the brake, theres no reason why you can't drive a RWD year round.

My Mustang was a go-kart in the snow, as was one of my best friends. Our town was built on the side of a hill and my family had a lot of problems finding cars that could make it up in the winter. In some conditions, driving knowledge is irrelevant. That said, I drove my Rodeo and Amigo in RWD most of the time and the only issue I had was starting on wet roads. The tires almost aways spun unless I started out in second gear. That's a nice benefit of having a standard transmission, you can drive in a gear with lower torque.

Of course its possible to drive a RWD car in the snow, but it is not ideal. If your going to be driving a RWD car in the snow at least make sure you've got some weight in the trunk and some studded tires help...

sure it isn't ideal, but up until maybe 30 years ago, it was the only option. I think most people who have never driven a RWD in the snow make it out to be a much bigger deal then it really is.

Studded tires aren't really needed either unless you are someplace where its going to be really really cold for a while and the road salt won't work so theres constantly going to be ice / hardpack on the road. Just a good set of snows, and keep the gas tank full of gas and your fine. Never used sand bags in my car, but I"ll end up getting a few for my truck.

I put 120 pounds in my truck, and tried to stay above half a tank of gas at all times for the winter. The extra weight Shot my gas mileage all to hell...but I stayed on the road.

My GF lived out in a Rural area...so in town, I was okay for the most part...but country roads with big drifts were a BITCH! She's in the city now...so I'm anticipating a pretty easy go this year.

When it got really icy, sometimes I'd have a hard time getting out of my parking lot....between 2 cars, I'd start to slide and be worried about hitting the car on either side. I started keeping a shovel in the truck, and as long as I could get the ice/snow cleared out from around my tires, I was pretty good to go.

The biggest problem for winter driving is stupid people. Just slow the F' down and we'll all be okay.

The biggest problem for winter driving is stupid people. Just slow the F' down and we'll all be okay.

When someone goes blowing past me in shitty conditions, I refuse to pull over and help when they end up losing control. Anyone that stupid doesn't deserve the help.

finally picked up a new ride, i got a 2008 chrysler 300 Touring AWD. Black with Black leather, ohh is she pretty.

I'm making more money than you are, you take my old store and the first week you get a 300. Something is really wrong with this picture.

Shouldn't you be cleaning the sharpener or something?

I'm making more money than you are, you take my old store and the first week you get a 300. Something is really wrong with this picture.

Shouldn't you be cleaning the sharpener or something?

haha picture looks right to me, and the sharpener is clean enough to eat off.

Hahaha, nice pickup bud. Those rides are smooth as butter.

yeah the nicest ride ive ever had really. i got to drive a Mercedes CLS 500 last week and she feels right on par with that, but about $45,000 less.

Edited by cougarscaptain87

Thanks to cars not selling for crap and the PFDs coming out, my wife got an Escalade. I don't know why, I'm absolutely against it but...yeah, I don't like it. At least she didn't get the shitty Avalanche-looking one.

Funny this thread happened to be bumped, Monday I will be going to the Ford dealership to polish of the paperwork on a 2005 F150 XLT Lariat. Quite the step up from my 88 F150 so I'm pretty excited. 5.4L V8, 4x4 and before summer I should have it jacked up pretty good. Looking at an 8" lift and 37" tires.

Man, you'd be running over OPSs in NO TIME.

Thanks to cars not selling for crap and the PFDs coming out, my wife got an Escalade. I don't know why, I'm absolutely against it but...yeah, I don't like it. At least she didn't get the shitty Avalanche-looking one.

She needs a lifevest to drive an Escalade?

The only reason I'm no longer driving the old girl is that it has 396,000 km and I need to replace the heater core. I'm keeping it parked on the street for future stick needs, I will never get rid of that old truck.

Man, you'd be running over OPSs in NO TIME.

She needs a lifevest to drive an Escalade?

PFD = Permanent fun dividend. The "live here, we'll pay you" deal here.