Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

I've thought about going the other direction and going white with the grille, wheels and mirrors on mine. Unfortunately, I'm getting all kinds of rust on the bottom thanks to the stuff they use on the highways in the winter up here.

I don't really like the look of white mirrors. White wheels would look good though. I just hate that plasticy silver! I may get my roof vinyl wrapped matte black, so if I do ill paint my bezel black too. I like the black look :)

Truck looks great, Sharks. What mods did you do to make the tires fit? And what size/brand are they? I assume the aftermarket front bumper served a dual purpose of looks/additional tire room.

I'm looking into a little lift and bigger tires for my truck. Nothing crazy but just a little more aggressive stance than stock. For tires I keep hearing about BFG AT KOs, but am actually leaning toward some General Grabber at2's b/c of price and reviews I've read online. Now the question is 31s or 33s...

Thank you. I installed a 3 in. Coil lift, bit you can get a spacer lift for pretty cheap. If you get anything more than a 2" lift, you can fit 33s. The bumper was for a combo of looks, safety, and winch capability. I've never liked the big plastic bumper they have, so I saved up and got something that fit my needs and looked much better.

The BFG AT tires are awesome. My dad runs them and will probably run them long into the future. They last forever, wear evenly, are quiet for such a large tread, and they provide good traction in many conditions. I haven't heard much about the grabbers, but my friend has nitto terras. They wear a bit faster than the BFG'S, but he loves them. My tires are Nitto trail grapplers 285/65/18. I love them, and they seem to be wearing nicely. The do wonderful in the snow.

Edited by sharks25

School bills stop me from investing. Parking at school is an extra $1400 per 8 months.

Almost bought an '06 Audi A6 wagon with s-line package on it until I moved too far away from campus that it would require me to find parking so the cost got just looked way too high.

Some great rides here.

$1400??? thats insane. I was paying 315 for the year or 180/semester and thought I was getting boned, but that is absolutely brutal. As for the Audi, that's a shame, great cars. My first car was a 98 A4 wagon which went over 250k miles before we sold it, I loved that thing. Now I'm in an 05 A4 sedan, I sometimes miss the wagon and I wish it had the USP (s-line for B6 bodystyle) package as those and the s-line for later models just make them look that much better. My dad drives a 2010 S4 and man, does that thing go. My mom recently traded in her 07 A6 sedan for a new Q5, both great cars. Sorry that it didn't work out this time around but definitely keep Audi in mind for the future, great cars, especially with quattro come wintertime. :smile:

Yeah, parking here in Halifax is already super tight. You can buy parking passes worth less, but you're not guaranteed a parking spot. We actually had a prof leave the school because he was fed up with the parking situation.

Always been an Audi fan, great to hear someone else also appreciates them haha pretty jealous of that line up.

Just installed 2.5" shackle lift yesterday. Probably gonna crank the t-bars a bit more and try to stuff some 32's or 33's under there soon.

You just posted a picture of my truck with the exception of the dent in the bed side that mine has.

My semi-project car, a '91 tornado red Jetta gl. All the fun will start when the weather gets warm, but basically she'll just get lowered a bit and restored to original condition. Not too much to do, but the guy who owned it previously must've done something to the front left quarter panel and taken it to a shop like maaco, because it's now chipping clear coat, and this generation of Jetta didn't paint their cars with a clear coat. Other than that, the black trim needs some color attention, all of the door hinges other than the drivers need to be replaced, the headliner needs to be replaced and the shifter boot is going to have to come out too as its ripped. Also needs a new head unit and speakers, but I have the head. All in all, I love it, quirky car but it shifts smoothly, has a sharp clutch and plays nice in the turns. Not the fastest in the world (1.8l 8v) but still fun none the less.

f2910109.jpg

2181506e.jpg

jettaback.jpg

Edited by Chappie

I hope yours holds up better than mine did, it's the only car I ever actually hated. It's also the last time I let me wife help me pick out a car.

Did you have an Mk2 as well? The Mk2's have some weird quirks, and obviously if you can find a German one they are much, much better, but they are very sturdy if you keep up with regular maintenance and can stand a little bit of BS (like the door hinges... once any moisture gets inside they're gone). I've had this one since October, only problems since owning have been the distributor cap oxidized on the tips and I ended up replacing it in lieu of finding a wire brush small enough to clean the tips, and right now what seems to be a bad o2 sensor, which I don't think has ever been changed. The nice thing about this car is that mechanically, it's about as basic as they come. minimal sensors, easy access under the hood, and parts are dirt cheap. Plus, it doesn't take too much work to make them look good. The problem with Mk2 VW's is that mostly kids buy them, and they usually either treat them like crap or "dub" them (and it's usually bad). Either way by the time they are finished you have to do so much work to bring it back to life that it's not really worth it. I bought this one because the guy was older, had a clue, and didn't really try to make it more than it was. Only mod he did was replacing the paper air filter setup with a cleanable one, the window tinting and the 5 spoke alloys. He had some type of cheap sound system in there too from what I can tell, and slapped bigger pedal covers on, but that's about it.

The only thing that is a real pain with these is the rust factor. I don't take it out at all after it's snowed unless I have to, and when I do I make sure it get's hosed down pretty quickly. Salt eats these things up for breakfast, especially non-German produced ones.

Edited by Chappie

People who take their VW's and put them on bagged suspension, get fat rims, a lot of tint and pseudo-performance mods. The name of the game is to see how low you can go, and many people weld skid plates on the bottom so it won't effect any necessary parts. You'll see people who can make their trim hold a dime between it and the ground. Some examples (all better ones too):

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4152/5081902079_0e6f0bbf65_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6151238541_3c0eaee126.jpg

http://www.loxlee-loves-engines.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mini-truck-style-vw-jetta-brown-front-shot-519x345.jpg

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg164/scaled.php?server=164&filename=edition382007591af6.jpg&res=medium

Somtimes it will come out well, but most of the time it doesn't, and it puts a lot of stress on the cars, especially given their age and how people tend to drive them. There are so many mods that people end up doing stuff with the knowledge that it's destined to break and they'll just fix/replace it when it does. A lot of talented guys out there too, but it's just not my thing and when they are finished with their toys and decide to either part them out or return to stock, it's pretty much not worth buying as a whole.

I had a ton of electrical problems. It seems to be a common problem with them around here.

Yeah, the electrical wiring on the older mk2's through 88 I believe was suspect, specifically with the automatic doors, but I guess all over. I'm no good at wiring so getting a 90-92 was sort of on my list of priorities. I don't remember what exact year the electrical issues were addressed, but I believe it happened the same year they changed the grille but I'm not positive.

You just posted a picture of my truck with the exception of the dent in the bed side that mine has.

Went with 31" tires for now. Bought some 33" tires too though, just have to make a little more room for them. Here's how it looks with the 31" all-terrains.

IMG00824-20120117-1211.jpg

People who take their VW's and put them on bagged suspension, get fat rims, a lot of tint and pseudo-performance mods. The name of the game is to see how low you can go, and many people weld skid plates on the bottom so it won't effect any necessary parts. You'll see people who can make their trim hold a dime between it and the ground. Some examples (all better ones too):

http://farm5.staticf...e6f0bbf65_z.jpg

http://farm7.static...._3c0eaee126.jpg

http://www.loxlee-lo...hot-519x345.jpg

http://desmond.image....jpg&res=medium

Somtimes it will come out well, but most of the time it doesn't, and it puts a lot of stress on the cars, especially given their age and how people tend to drive them. There are so many mods that people end up doing stuff with the knowledge that it's destined to break and they'll just fix/replace it when it does. A lot of talented guys out there too, but it's just not my thing and when they are finished with their toys and decide to either part them out or return to stock, it's pretty much not worth buying as a whole.

If sparks don't fly, she's too high! haha, it's fun to watch the guys in these cars go over speed bumps. I know it's not a VW but http://www.motormaniabuzz.eu/2012/01/video-indian-speed-bumps-vs-bugatti.html that's a pretty funny couple of videos.

Coilovers, downpipe and other fun odds and ends are coming in for the 'speed3 in the next two weeks. Am I excited? Very much so.