Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crazykeeper3317

Show off your gear

Custom Hackva with Poron XRD Foam, this stuff is amazing! Will post a complete review of the experience of painting & refoaming once the cage comes in and mask is complete!

Where did you procure the Poron?

• Like 1

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Finally made the jump from intermediate pads to senior. Digging the custom-ability of the pad, just gotta get used to the bulk of a senior pad vs. an intermediate.

b8j21Zz.png

• Like 2

x-posted in the Show It Off thread

My first set of goalie gear (at age 32)! Thank you Brian's and Bauer!

- Brian's S-Series pads and gloves
- Bauer Reactor 2000 skates
- Bauer NME8 mask
- Bauer One70 stick
- Bauer Supreme knee/thigh guards (not shown)

kDvvMDGl.png

Start of the great 2014 equipment upgrade for minideej. He needs to stop growing, he's not so mini any more. :ohmy:

Moving up from kit in avatar. Pads from 28+1 to 30+2. Glove set from youth (he didn't tell us his palm were hanging out the end of the last set) to intermediate.

Vaughn Velocity 1000i V6

2014-08-29192240_zps214813f0.jpg

• Like 2

Aw, man, that looks awesome. I had no idea such things existed.

I can't imagine anyone will notice the problem spots unless they're like ... hovering over your mask.

Use a razor blade to cut the bubble, and smooth out the air pockets

I considered that.. I'm just worried a bit about it splitting because I used some heat from a hairdryer to put a bit of stretch on the vinyl in some areas so it would lay flat. The other side is nearly flawless. I'm okay with it for now anyway, it will only be like that until it gets painted to look like:

cukXi8Em.jpg

Edited by OptimusReim

On the advice of OmegaGoalie while at Winterfest, I picked up a couple of these:

MwRlt4Q.png

I told him I didn't like the rattle/hollow feeling when pucks hit my composite goalie stick and he suggested I try wood, so I know both ends of the spectrum. Will likely try a foam core at some point as well.

I did however find out that sizing a goalie stick is a pretty big crapshoot. I ordered two 26" sticks, and goaliemonkey sent me the black on in 26" and the natural in 25". Turns out, the 25" is only maybe 1/4" shorter (as far as the top of the paddle) than my Bauer One60 which is a 26.5". Interesting. So if anything I should have sent back the black one. I decided for $30/stick it would be a good time to try out different lengths to see what worked best for me so I'm going to keep both.

Looking forward to seeing how these feel.

The two sticks I have are wood, one is wrapped in fiberglass, the other is just (as far as I know), painted. No foam core. This is what I can say about wooden sticks:

1. I can't speak much for the difference between these and composite in play, because they're all I've ever had.

2. Both my sticks are pretty heavy. It has taken me some time to adjust to using the stick for long periods of time (e.g. street hockey), and if I haven't played in a while, I'm back to square one and my hand gets numb. (ymmv - I have nerve damage in my blocker hand from previous injuries).

3. It is easy to be reminded to keep one's stick on the ice because the damn things weigh a ton and you wouldn't want to heft it anyway.

4. The ball/puck makes a solid thump when hitting them, and I would say they absorb the energy pretty well and don't give up rebounds. (as a goalie, however, I give up lots of rebounds. It's not the stick's fault though).

The two sticks I have are wood, one is wrapped in fiberglass, the other is just (as far as I know), painted. No foam core. This is what I can say about wooden sticks:

1. I can't speak much for the difference between these and composite in play, because they're all I've ever had.

2. Both my sticks are pretty heavy. It has taken me some time to adjust to using the stick for long periods of time (e.g. street hockey), and if I haven't played in a while, I'm back to square one and my hand gets numb. (ymmv - I have nerve damage in my blocker hand from previous injuries).

3. It is easy to be reminded to keep one's stick on the ice because the damn things weigh a ton and you wouldn't want to heft it anyway.

4. The ball/puck makes a solid thump when hitting them, and I would say they absorb the energy pretty well and don't give up rebounds. (as a goalie, however, I give up lots of rebounds. It's not the stick's fault though).

I had no frame of reference for goal sticks so I actually started with a composite, thinking if I don't know any different it should be fine. I just didn't like the feeling when the puck hit it and the rebounds always felt so lively that I was never quite sure which way they'd go. OmegaGoalie said the same thing as your point #4, that its a solid thump and you know exactly where the puck is going.

Your point #3 was definitely in consideration also. I wouldn't want a heavy player stick, but a heavy goal stick actually seems like it would be a good thing, as a beginner at least.

I'll see how I like them on Sunday :)

Oh I had no frame either - the only other stick I've used was a plastic-bladed mylec street goalie stick. I despised it. It flopped like a whale fin at seaworld. The ones I have now were found in a neighbor's garbage and belonged a goalie half a foot taller than me, and they're still miles better.

The heaviness has been really helpful for me (a terrible novice goalie) - I feel like I know where my stick is at all times, and it helps ground me as to where I am, and I'm also in no way inclined to try and stick save everything. I suppose (and here is where more knowledgeable people should chime in) since you're not trying to get flex for shots or anything (unless you are Tom Barrasso) having a stick that feels balanced is more important than weight per se.

Let us know how they work out. :)

Adult goalie on a huff and puff 19&up 2x a week, year around, and a seasonal goalie coach for 9-10 yr old goalies x3 (my son included) 2x a week for their Squirt travel team practices.

Gear Load Out

From the crease up:

Bauer Elite goalie skates with a FBV similar to 3/8"

Shock Doctor compression jock pants with cup of same brand. (Double jockey)

Battram Nexus leg pads with additional knee block and a calf riser by PAW, 37" no breaks.

Thigh and knee guards by PAW

Bauer Supreme Jock (told ya, a double jockey)

KOHO goalie pants with generic pants suspenders

Under Armor Heat Gear short sleeve T-shirt

Older ITech XL CA added a Camel Bak 1.5L system high on the back with Velcro on the drinking tube to attach over the shoulder, fed into the mask. (Stole the idea from my Flak Vest and gas mask drinking system currently issued by the USMC)

Reebok 14K Blocker (Inspired that Camel Bak as you can't grab a H2O bottle with this blocker)

Reebok 14K Catcher (one piece)

Vaughn Velocity 7500 Pro Spec Catcher with laced netting (Alternated on mood)

TPS Response R8 Composite stick 28" Brodeur curve

Reebok batting glove worn blocker side to null composite stick vibration

Vaughn dangle neck guard

Vaughn 7700 Helmet with Certified Cat Eye Cage and sham headband (added some industrial velcro inside chin to keep drinking tube in place from Camel Bak)

Enduracool head wrap worn under helmet to keep cool

My gear is pretty gypsy in that it's all different colors/brands. Went with function over form. Got what worked and was comfortable versus a color/desgin scheme.

No restriction from the Camel Bak in movement and I don't notice the weight as I mounted it high to put the weight to my shoulders.

I noticed quickly the composite goalie stick vibrates a LOT more than a Wood or Foam-core, the thin leather palmed batting glove works to nullify that. I personally like the composite sticks better for several reasons, so it's a preference trade off.

The Enduracool wrap is soaked, and rang out prior to play and keeps my dome cooler than without, using a wet bandana or a Under Armor skull cap. Use one for my son as well since it also functions to keep his "hockey hair" out of his eyes.

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid" - Murphy's Laws of Combat

Have a good season.

Check out my new street hockey mask!

t0YWAJLl.png

Okay, I actually got it just to use while my NME8 is up in Canada being painted, and then afterwards as a backup. I wasn't sure how long it would take for my primary mask to get back in my hands and didn't want to miss out on starting in the Carlsbad CA's beginner league (signing up as a goalie and a friend of mine is signing up as a skater).

Definitely would not use a polycarbonate mask normally!

Having taken multiple direct hits to the head and face in an NME3, I can assure you it will do a fine job in (ball, anyway) street hockey.

Heh the mention of street hockey was a joke, I'm using it on the ice. Only until my NME8 comes back though. I'm not fully confident in it for much more than street hockey but it keeps me playing for the next few weeks. :)

Oh, well, in that case we'll pray for you it'll probably be fine in a beginner league where no one is taking 80mph slapshots at your head.

Heh, sure enough... DING! Right off the cage above the eyebrow. First time in my life I've experience ringing ears... always wondered what that felt like. But was totally fine, it wasn't a hard shot. Just figures the first time I wear my backup mask and I get pinged in the head.

Let us know how they work out. :)

They are fantastic. The weight difference I don't even notice, but the puck feel is infinitely better. And absolutely no vibration. I could not be happier, and will be buying Twigz from now on (at $30, it's a bit of a no-brainer with how well they've performed so far!)