Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crazykeeper3317

Show off your gear

Jeff, aka goaltendah1, is the guy who shot the famous "Glove Relacing Video" of him working on his Vaughn 5500 with a forked pushing (rather than a threaded pulling) lacing needle.

On the topic of gloves:

IMG_0119.jpg

New Vaughn V3 7500, got tired of the Warrior swagger glove's inability to close properly so decided to upgrade. Actually debating on skate lace to top off the glove

Edited by Axxion89

Definitely give skatelace a try, if you haven't: it really does change the feel of the glove. Black laces with white tracers would look awesome on that glove.

If you haven't sold the Swagger already, you could practice your lacing on it first.

More to the point, if you completely unlace that glove - not just the pocket, but the perimeter and the palm - and then re-lace it a little looser, you may find that the closure improves. In my experience, the vast majority of closure issues are caused by overly tight lacing or issues with the backhand. The guy building the glove - especially if he's not 100% clear on how the glove is supposed to work - will almost always prefer to pull everything tight so that the whole glove feels 'solid' in a general sense. Solidity, however, is not generally what one wants in a glove.

I got an NHL-spec Vaughn 5500/V2 set a while back that I'll be completely rebuilding; the idea will be to make the fingers and maybe the thumb bindingless. I'll post some pics of the process if I remember to.

Jeff, aka goaltendah1, is the guy who shot the famous "Glove Relacing Video" of him working on his Vaughn 5500 with a forked pushing (rather than a threaded pulling) lacing needle.

Here it is, for reference:

This version, which seems definitely, runs 10min; there is however also a 13min posting of this on Google Video, which appears to be the original. I'm not sure if that's just some kind of framerate/timing/conversion error, or whether the 13min version has more to it.

That's exactly what most gloves use in the pocket and binding the perimeter: a 3mm nylon paracord. Skate-lace (especially non-waxed) has a good bit more give to it, which is why many prefer it in the pocket. You can actually get PU leather cord in those diameters, but it tends not to have the best abrasion resistance.

Decided to finally take a photo of all of my Goalie Gear:

IMG_0131.jpg

Pants -RBK HPG SR

Chest - Vaughn V3 7500 Pro

Leg Pads - Warrior Swagger 33+1

Skates - Reebok 6K

Mask - Hackva Texalium

Catcher - Vaughn V3 7500 Pro

Blocker - RBK P1 Int Pro

Neck - Vaughn

Knee - Reebok Premier

Not Shown:

Cup - Vaughn Epic 8800

Sticks - Montreal, Sherwood

My Zero G goal set is in. Can't wait to give them a go! I got the whole set brand new for $700! Big thanks to Law Goalie for checking out the Zero G pads for me before I bought them.

6929469779_20254e6b4a_b.jpg

My Zero G goal set is in. Can't wait to give them a go! I got the whole set brand new for $700! Big thanks to Law Goalie for checking out the Zero G pads for me before I bought them.

6929469779_20254e6b4a_b.jpg

How did you get a deal like that on the Brian stuff? And let us know how you like it they might be my next set of pads

The pads were production demos, and he had connections in Toronto... :ph34r:

And how are those working out?

Great setup(s), by the way, Phantom: the Brodeur outfit is just stunning, and the Smith + Maltese gear is unbeatable. Nice paintjob on the 961, too: very understated but geometrically interesting-- works well with that shell shape. One of the most interesting I've seen.

img00189201203201409.jpg

New to me gear, Itech 9600, $200, it was pretty much brand new, 7700 Pads 7500 blocker. Obviously classic shitty cell phone pic

Edited by SuperMan3

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

My project for the past month, beginning phase 2 after I move which is custom fitting the mask to my head with new foam and putting all hardware back together. WIll be posting the details of this project in a separate thread!

Very nice work in the paint. I'd be especially interested in the refoaming. Did you make a head mould first, or just make measurements against the stock foam and then build it up and take it down where appropriate?

Very nice work in the paint. I'd be especially interested in the refoaming. Did you make a head mould first, or just make measurements against the stock foam and then build it up and take it down where appropriate?

What I will probably end up doing is using spacers to measure how much foam where, order the correct depths, and the cut and fit where needed and see what needs to be trimmed and formed for a perfect fit. As for the foams, I have orders for Polyethylene and Vinyl Buna-N (VN i believe, I will find out when it arrives), possibly EVA (expensive), and possibly even Poron XRD.

Go with EVA, at least against your skin. I don't think Vinyl Buna-N is the same as the classic 'Rubatex' VN, and PE isn't ideal in masks. I don't know much about Poron XRD. I moved from VN to EVA, and it not only feels *much* better, but it doesn't go hard nearly as fast, and handles sweat much better.

Go with EVA, at least against your skin. I don't think Vinyl Buna-N is the same as the classic 'Rubatex' VN, and PE isn't ideal in masks. I don't know much about Poron XRD. I moved from VN to EVA, and it not only feels *much* better, but it doesn't go hard nearly as fast, and handles sweat much better.

From what I found, the Buna-N is an alternate term for Nitrile and the material was commonly made by Rubatex so I figured I would order a sheet and give it a shot and see if it in fact the same. As for the PE, I ordered a small sample that I can return so I can at least get a look of it as I never heard of it and was intrigued. If all the above fails, I will go with the EVA as I did with another mask I re-foamed but held off from ordering it on this order as the material is the priciest of the 3.

Nice paint job. May I suggest black straps, they might not match but wont get yellow and gross (look) over time...

Edited by SirJW

Have you looked at Maltese for the padding? I've heard good things.. been meaning to try some of their stuff out

It's awesome stuff -- especially the new gel (V3) Phil's been using, which behaves more like foam in the way it's installed and is MUCH lighter than earlier versions. The only reason I'm not using it is that my mask is custom-fitted, and I trust the guy who did the fitting more than I trust myself. If I ever have to send it back to Protechsport for refurbishing, I may well send along a set of Maltese padding for him to install.

Just as an update got both foams in, the Vinyl Buna-N was indeed Rubatex but had an odd smell so I didn't want to use it. The Polyethylene foam was very nice but felt a little too stiff for my liking and only came in that one stiffness. Decided to heed Law Goalie and my previous experience's advice and go with EVA foam. Will post a thread detailing the whole process within the next 2 weeks.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Custom Hackva with Poron XRD Foam, this stuff is amazing! Will post a complete review of the experience of painting & refoaming once the cage comes in and mask is complete!

Pads: BHG Eyelite 10 34+3, Pro Stock Toskala X:60 (Heaton 10 skins)

Glove/Blocker: BHG Eyelite

Mask: Hackva (Skull design)

Skates: Bauer 7000

Stick: Heaton 10 pro Stock Belfour

Pants: CCM/Heaton Pro Stock

Chest: Gatekeeper Pro Stock

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/KILLERWHALE89/media/IMG-20121009-00054_zps420f497e.jpg.html?filters[user]=139272550&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

Custom Hackva with Poron XRD Foam, this stuff is amazing! Will post a complete review of the experience of painting & refoaming once the cage comes in and mask is complete!

I like the "sham" band. :smile: Did you make your own?