Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ThePurpleCobra

Recovery after broken ankle

Yes, still dealing with it. The skin wound is almost completely gone but the skin is still very tender. So frustrating considering how close I was to a full recovery. Happy to hear that you're doing well though.

Ok so, I was wondering if anyone has experience of a broken fibula and getting back into hockey. Well I very unfortunately broke both. yes both!. I was snowboarding and fell badly and twisted both my ankles and they fractured and I had to have surgery and had plates put in both ankles. It was around 9 weeks ago now and I am walking ok. I have tried my skates on to see what they felt like and because skates have to be quite tight it presses on the ankle bone where my plates are. I'm not sure if this pain is just the scar because they are relatively fresh still or the pain is being caused from the plate itself. If you have experience of anything similar to this id like to hear from you!. 

Edited by mstjp6000

45 minutes ago, mstjp6000 said:

Ok so, I was wondering if anyone has experience of a broken fibula and getting back into hockey. Well I very unfortunately broke both. yes both!. I was snowboarding and fell badly and twisted both my ankles and they fractured and I had to have surgery and had plates put in both ankles. It was around 9 weeks ago now and I am walking ok. I have tried my skates on to see what they felt like and because skates have to be quite tight it presses on the ankle bone where my plates are. I'm not sure if this pain is just the scar because they are relatively fresh still or the pain is being caused from the plate itself. If you have experience of anything similar to this id like to hear from you!. 

I just merged your post into a previous broken ankle thread. I'd suggest you read through the rest of it. I just got through the experience (luckily no plates!) and happy to answer questions.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just merged your post into a previous broken ankle thread. I'd suggest you read through the rest of it. I just got through the experience (luckily no plates!) and happy to answer questions.

Same here. Broken L fibula, displaced and a plate with 7 screws. Surgery date Oct 9, 2015. I started skating after 12 weeks and had the same pain that your describing. I also wear tall boots for work and had issues with that too. July 19, 2016 I had all hardware removed. I'm playing hockey again, every monday and friday night. Im 37, so I don't bounce like I used too. 

20 hours ago, mstjp6000 said:

I broke my tib and fib a few years back, plates on both.  So, what you are experiencing is normal and part of the process.  I used a pair of Reebok skates at first - wide and a soft pump, then went back to my normal Bauer skates a few months later when all the swelling and soreness decreased.  As for having the plates out, I had the fib plate out, as it bothered me on the outside of the ankle.  Tib plate is still in place.  Just for reference, I was walking/skating at 3 months, hockey at 4 months.

On 16/01/2017 at 7:34 PM, Skater15 said:

Same here. Broken L fibula, displaced and a plate with 7 screws. Surgery date Oct 9, 2015. I started skating after 12 weeks and had the same pain that your describing. I also wear tall boots for work and had issues with that too. July 19, 2016 I had all hardware removed. I'm playing hockey again, every monday and friday night. Im 37, so I don't bounce like I used too. 

Thanks for that! Did you experience any pain from your skates rubbing on the scars? I went back to hockey last Wednesday! I did OK but I found that my skates rub on my scars quite a bit and now they're pretty sore! 

That pain will go away as the skin toughens up. I had that same issue. I decided to keep the plate in and wait it out and all that I ended up doing was rebaking the one skate and all has gone very well. That is until the other night when I tore my hamstring. Cant seem to catch a break. two major injuries in 9 months.

2 hours ago, mstjp6000 said:

Thanks for that! Did you experience any pain from your skates rubbing on the scars? I went back to hockey last Wednesday! I did OK but I found that my skates rub on my scars quite a bit and now they're pretty sore! 

My scar was sore for a couple of months. I used an ace wrap to prevent too much irritation at first. Then I transitioned to kinesology tape that still use now. Scar massage helps a ton in bresking it down and getting to act like normal skin again, also use creams & lotions to help with the scar becoming flexible. The more elastic you can get the scar the better.

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  Broke my fibula, 7 screws and a plate (still in my leg). When I first started skating the scar area was pretty sensitive to rubbing from the boot. I would wear an extra brace over my sock to add a little padding. Now it's good to go, only problem I have if I block a shot and it catches me on the outside of the boot, my foot will go numb for a few seconds.

293673_10100130168667967_1342104268_n.jp

My ankle isn't broken but I did have surgery on my heel that involved repair work on the achilles, 2 months after and the ankle is still swollen. Surgeon says this is really common with foot surgery, akin to broken ankles. So for those of you that did break your ankle and either did or didn't have surgery, how long till the swelling disappeared? Did you use ice and did it help and for long after the surgery did you use ice for? Or anything else for the swelling?

42 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

My ankle isn't broken but I did have surgery on my heel that involved repair work on the achilles, 2 months after and the ankle is still swollen. Surgeon says this is really common with foot surgery, akin to broken ankles. So for those of you that did break your ankle and either did or didn't have surgery, how long till the swelling disappeared? Did you use ice and did it help and for long after the surgery did you use ice for? Or anything else for the swelling?

Trying to remember my timeline...

If I recall, after the cast came off I had about 3 months before I was walking without a boot or brace. Iced it just about daily during that time. Also was icing it for a couple months after that when it would swell. I'd say I was seeing swelling for 5-6 months after the break, sometimes worse than others.

One thing I would suggest is this thing:

https://www.shockdoctor.com/ice-recovery-ankle-compression-wrap

sd_752_iceanklecompwrao.png

It was absolutely amazing for icing the foot/ankle area and with where the ice packs actually are (two on the sides and one on the "tongue"), it would be perfect for achilles injuries. 

50 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Ice and elevation. Get some PT bands and work on getting it stretched. I was useless for 12 weeks. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I still have my moon boot which has a removable velco wrap soft inner liner. Will pull the liner out and I have thin, flexible ice packs that I can velcro to the inside. Hopefully will do the same job as no local shop in my country has the shockdoctor product. 

lol, walking once the 24/7 3 months cast / moon boot comes off is a weird experience. Just no strength in the foot, couldn't do a calf raise to save myself. 

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Vet88

On 10/31/2017 at 4:52 PM, Vet88 said:

I still have my moon boot which has a removable velco wrap soft inner liner. Will pull the liner out and I have thin, flexible ice packs that I can velcro to the inside. Hopefully will do the same job as no local shop in my country has the shockdoctor product. 

lol, walking once the 24/7 3 months cast / moon boot comes off is a weird experience. Just no strength in the foot, couldn't do a calf raise to save myself. 

Thanks for the replies.

How's the injury?

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

How's the injury?

Things are really slow. Still swollen, still can't do a calf raise, backward skating is a stumbling joke. Surgeon said 4 - 6 months before the pain and swelling disappears (but he was ok with me skating). Physio doesn't want me to skate, we agreed to disagree but I did back off training this week, only skated 4 times instead of 7 lol.