Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

Smaller skates=Better skating?

Will smaller skates make you a better skater? Im asking this question because me and my friend are fighting over it. He says yes and I say no but what do you guys think. Is it possible

Guest 2048

If your skates were initially too big for you, then smaller skates will make you a better skater. Skates that are too tight will just make you uncomfortable and hinder your skating. I'm kind of experiencing this right now with these new mission roller hockey skates I bought. I went down from a 10 to an 8 and my skating's way better, but my big toe hurts a bit. Thing is, 9 is too big and they don't make half sizes in the cheaper skates.

Paul Coffee wore ridiculously small skates and hes one of the best skaters ever. I think its one of those things that works for some people, and it doesn't for others.

All I know is that my Uncle did that just once on an outdoor rink as a kid. He got frost bite, and now his feet are the ugliest damn things I've ever seen, so be careful.

Guest 2048
All I know is that my Uncle did that just once on an outdoor rink as a kid. He got frost bite, and now his feet are the ugliest damn things I've ever seen, so be careful.

Somehow I think that had more to do with skating outside in the frigid cold than anything else.

Skates that fit make you a better skater. The true issue is that what the average consumer thinks "fits" is actually way to big.

I think Coffee (like Kosy said) wore skates 2-3 sizes smaller, I heard he turned Gretzky onto the idea as well. I think those were only for games though and they used the proper sized skates for practice. I'm sure differen't people will have different reactions. I would assume proper fitted skates would work best for the average person no matter if they are considered above or below the average foot size.

If your skates were initially too big for you, then smaller skates will make you a better skater. Skates that are too tight will just make you uncomfortable and hinder your skating. I'm kind of experiencing this right now with these new mission roller hockey skates I bought. I went down from a 10 to an 8 and my skating's way better, but my big toe hurts a bit. Thing is, 9 is too big and they don't make half sizes in the cheaper skates.

No my skates fit fine. Im going to get new skates soon and just wondering if i want to chance going to a 9 to a 8.5. I'll try on some 8.5 in the store and see how it fells. Im not going to go Paul Coffey and slip into some 7s.

Guest 2048
Skates that fit make you a better skater. The true issue is that what the average consumer thinks "fits" is actually way to big.

Definitely, my problem is that I'm never quite sure of what is too small in store. The missions were brushing the toe cap in store, but after 30 minutes of skating my big toe on my bigger foot hurt for about two hours. Hopefully lacing em up tightly enough that the foot doesn't shift fixes it. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to find a boot stretcher or ebay.

Guest 2048
I have a 10 shoe, and wear a 7d 8090. It goes to show you that the whole "1.5 size down, etc" concept is complete BS.

You too? I wear 10.5 adidas skates, tried on the 8090 and was a 7D (felt a bit wide though), can squeeze into 6.5 in v-12s, though 7's probably better judging from this mission experiment and 7D in easton as well. CCM I have no idea. I can't really fit 7D in the 1152s, but they're supposed to be sized bigger. Who knows.

Obviously oversized skates will screw you over, if your feet are litterally swimming in the boot then you wont get speed. I think smaller skates do help a bit because the smaller it is the closer it is to your feet so its like the skate is part of your foot so naturally it should be more responsive. However if they are crushing your feet the circulation will cut off. I wear size 7 shoe and can fit a size 5 skate but I ll go to my LHS and maybe even try on a 4.

I could squeeze, and i mean squeeze into a 6.5, but i dont like my toes to be that scrunched. Ironically enough i came from an 8d XX.

Guest 2048

Cavs, I wore size 8D 5000s as well and fit into the 7D 8090s. Somehow I have a feeling that it's because when I tried on the 7.5s, they were waaay too narrow to fit comfortably. The 8090s are much wider, so it helps. Still, all of that online sizing stuff is bullshit. In the end, all that will work is going to a store and trying it on there.

I agree the entire concept of "1.5 smaller than shoe size" is not totally true. I just got my Vector 7.0 and I wear a size 10 Nike shoe and a 7.5 in Vectors. Going to have to get them punched in the "hot spots" though. BTW, anyone know how this punching thing works?

I'm not so sure if that inaccurate, just depends a bit on which shoes. I find alot of the "sneaker" sizes are screwed up. I am trying out a pair of 8.5's and struggling because I usually wear 10's. I know my feet aren't that big (as 10's) but the extra length helps adapt to the wide front foot I have. Generally in dress shoe sizes my skates will run 1.5 smaller than those dress shoes.

I find that i skate better in smaller skates. I ussualy go .5 size smaller then i should. So there small but not to small that my feel like falling off.

I wear size 12 shoes, but I wear a size 9.5 skate. My toes are crunched a bit, but that's what I'm used to and that's what I like.

Shoes and skates are fitted differently - people like to have room in their shoes so tha has to be taken into consideration.

Guys like Coffey and Gretzky used to cram their feet in small skates. The "wheelbase" is shorter, hence more responsiveness.

I used to size my skates too big because I didn't know any better. I was going by the looser fit like I wear some of my shoes and I was also afraid of my toes cramming up. It makes the world of difference having skates the right length and shape. I wear roughly an 8-8.5 shoe and wear 7R in Graf and they fit great.

Also, if your skates are way too big, the arch length is probably wrong for your foot so they may hurt. And the blade's apex might not be where they are supposed to be relative to your foot, so your skating mechanics might be affected. For example, if the apex is supposed to be in the middle of the blade, the apex will be further forward on a bigger skate.

Yes, balance is greatly affected when you wear a bigger skate.

I am dropping 1/2 size on my next skate. Funny thing is, when I went to Just Hockey when I was in TO, Jeff (Hkychatter) dropped me a full size (with a custom-length toe cap) but definitely 1/2 shorter. It's actually going to put me in the 288 range now.