Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

How do I choose the correct stick/shaft flex?

Hockey Stick Flex is a measure of how flexible or how stiff a hockey stick is when a force is applied to it. Flex is also referred to as the hockey stick stiffness.

When a player bends his hockey stick when taking a shot, it essentially turns the hockey stick into a spring storing energy. When the spring is released (when the stick unbends and returns to straight), the energy is released and accelerates the puck.For example, proper slap sot technique is to have the blade strike the ice a few inches before the puck to load the spring of the stick prior the stick striking the puck. As the stick moves forward in its swing, it contacts the puck and snaps forward from being bent to straight again. This same bending and snapping forward also happens with the wrist shot and snaps shots.

Generally you want the stiffest flex stick that you can flex completely to take full advantage of the stick recoil as it snaps the puck forward. If the hockey stick is too stiff then the player won’t be able to bend it and get the extra accelerating effects. If the flex isn’t stiff enough the hockey stick will bend too much and the accuracy of the shot deteriorates.

Mid flex – Mid kick point, or mid/constant flex, sticks have a more traditional flex that allows the stick to be loaded from the bottom hand. This gives you a larger loading and potentially a higher velocity release. Wooden sticks have a constant flex profile that behaves in this manner.

Low kick points - The kick point is where the shaft flexes when enough pressure is applied to bend it. Composite sticks are often engineered to have low kick points on the shaft for a quicker release. The loading of the stick happens sooner since there is less distance for the stick to bend before it recoils back and whips the puck forward. This lower kick point is often created with shafts that have tapered ends near the blade.

The most common measurements for stick flex are:

Youth = 40 flex

Junior = 50 flex

Mid or Intermediate flex = 60-75 flex

Regular flex = 85 flex

Stiff flex = 100 flex

Extra stiff = 110 flex

Composite hockey stick flex versus wood hockey stick flex - Does a composite stick flex more than a wood stick? It all depends on how the hockey stick is engineered but the short answers is that a stick flex rating of 100 is the same flex no matter what type of material the hockey stick is made from. The most significant differences between wood and composite stick flex is the flex points which were covered above.

How Cutting a Stick’s Length Affects its Flex

If you cut too much of the length off of a stick is will significantly increase the flex of the stick. Imagine bending a full length broom stick. Now if you cut that broom stick in half home much force is required to get it to bend the same as the full length stick? A whole lot more that is for sure. This is also what happens when a hockey stick is cut down a significant amount. How much is flex affected by cutting off 2 or 4 inches? Here is a chart that provides ROUGH guideline for how cutting your stick affects its flex.

Approximate flex when cutting the stick…

Baseline Flex 2 inches 4 inches

Youth 40 48 flex 54 flex

Junior 50 58 flex 66 flex

Intermediate 65 72 flex 78 flex

Senior 85 95 flex 103 flex

Senior 100 106 flex 113 flex

OF COURSE THESE ARE JUST GUIDLINES, JUST TRY THEM OUT AND SEE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Great info on flex

One thing that I have found curious is that cutting the same amount off different brands does not change the flex by the same amount,

ex. if you cut a bauer at all it changes the flex while you can take a couple inches off an easton without changing it at all.

I've been working to set up a demo with someone to get accurate information on some sticks. I had to cancel in January due to some scheduling issues, I'm hoping to do it at the end of March.

I've been working to set up a demo with someone to get accurate information on some sticks. I had to cancel in January due to some scheduling issues, I'm hoping to do it at the end of March.

When you do it, will you please check the differences when adding length as well please?

I have noticed that for a taller player like myself that mid kick sticks can still have a pretty quick release. The biggest difference for me is that a mid kick stick allows me to add length and still feel like I can really load wrist and snap shots with my hands high up on the stick. When I add five inches to a low kick stick I never feel like I can get the most out of the stick. I wonder if it has to do with the extra length essentially effecting the kick point by putting it farther away from my hands than if the stick was cut for a shorter player. I wish I could explain this with some scientific reasoning, but I do not have the ability. The one thing I can do is compare it to a golf swing. Taller players have a longer swing arc, in doing so we develop a lot of power with a smoother swing. Shorter golfers typically have a more aggressive swing needing stiffer clubs to deal with the violent change in direction of the swing and to release right through the ball. So if you take a hockey stick that is designed for a quick release and add length to it creating a longer swing arc than it is designed for...makes me wonder if you lose the efficiency of the stick? I don't claim this to be right, but I have been kicking this around since realizing how much better all my shots are with the total one than the s19, x:60, and dolo. Believe me I have wanted these other sticks to offer me something, but they just do not load right with my mechanics.

When you do it, will you please check the differences when adding length as well please?

I have noticed that for a taller player like myself that mid kick sticks can still have a pretty quick release. The biggest difference for me is that a mid kick stick allows me to add length and still feel like I can really load wrist and snap shots with my hands high up on the stick. When I add five inches to a low kick stick I never feel like I can get the most out of the stick. I wonder if it has to do with the extra length essentially effecting the kick point by putting it farther away from my hands than if the stick was cut for a shorter player. I wish I could explain this with some scientific reasoning, but I do not have the ability. The one thing I can do is compare it to a golf swing. Taller players have a longer swing arc, in doing so we develop a lot of power with a smoother swing. Shorter golfers typically have a more aggressive swing needing stiffer clubs to deal with the violent change in direction of the swing and to release right through the ball. So if you take a hockey stick that is designed for a quick release and add length to it creating a longer swing arc than it is designed for...makes me wonder if you lose the efficiency of the stick? I don't claim this to be right, but I have been kicking this around since realizing how much better all my shots are with the total one than the s19, x:60, and dolo. Believe me I have wanted these other sticks to offer me something, but they just do not load right with my mechanics.

Shooting from the hip, here.

A longer lever would seem to apply more force to the kick point, and bend the stick a bit more (compared to factory length), resulting in more acceleration applied upon release, but taking more time for the stick to bend and release, other factors being equal.

If you apply the same force to the longer stick, you may bend down a bit further, and push down a bit more, because the stick flexes more, ending up with noticeably more friction between the stick and the ice. Maybe this is happening, and is more accentuated with a low kick point? Maybe an adjustment in timing, or down pressure on the stick, will help?

Shooting from the hip, here.

A longer lever would seem to apply more force to the kick point, and bend the stick a bit more (compared to factory length), resulting in more acceleration applied upon release, but taking more time for the stick to bend and release, other factors being equal.

If you apply the same force to the longer stick, you may bend down a bit further, and push down a bit more, because the stick flexes more, ending up with noticeably more friction between the stick and the ice. Maybe this is happening, and is more accentuated with a low kick point? Maybe an adjustment in timing, or down pressure on the stick, will help?

Sir, I believe you are right. With an adjustment in mechanics I could get more from the low kick stick. My natural shooting motion pairs up with the mid kick though.

My reasoning for wanting to see the test done with extra length as well was, to see if due to the constant flex arc of a mid kick will adding length dramatically effect flex rating. And, will the low kick stick be effected as much even though the top half of the stick is not where the flex occurs and by adding length just adds to the stiffest part of the stick not changing the arc of the flex pattern.

I have been told by a few of the low kick fans on here that there is a specific point where you need to put your low hand to really load the stick with a slap shot and wrist shot to get the most pop out of it. At 6'7 it is tough to be that low.(We are talking down in the lower bauer logo on the 60) Where as I can keep my hands in a good playing position with a mid kick and with proper timing I can still get a quick release.

Sir, I believe you are right. With an adjustment in mechanics I could get more from the low kick stick. My natural shooting motion pairs up with the mid kick though.

My reasoning for wanting to see the test done with extra length as well was, to see if due to the constant flex arc of a mid kick will adding length dramatically effect flex rating. And, will the low kick stick be effected as much even though the top half of the stick is not where the flex occurs and by adding length just adds to the stiffest part of the stick not changing the arc of the flex pattern.

I have been told by a few of the low kick fans on here that there is a specific point where you need to put your low hand to really load the stick with a slap shot and wrist shot to get the most pop out of it. At 6'7 it is tough to be that low.(We are talking down in the lower bauer logo on the 60) Where as I can keep my hands in a good playing position with a mid kick and with proper timing I can still get a quick release.

It would seem that adding a significant extension to the shaft might have more effect on a low kick point, since the arm (of the lever) is so much longer than the arm to the mid kick point.

I don't know if my last message was very clear, though. If you lengthen the stick, and take a shot leaning the same amount of weight on it, your body may actually lean lower because the same weight on a longer lever may bend the stick more, bringing you a bit closer to the ice. This may result in the blade having to overcome greater friction, along the ice, as it moves forward in the shooting action. If you rise quickly enough, this increased flex may translate to a faster shot. If you don't, a slower shot.

Still shooting from the hip, here; there's no substitute for empirical data.

This may result in the blade having to overcome greater friction, along the ice, as it moves forward in the shooting action. If you rise quickly enough, this increased flex may translate to a faster shot. If you don't, a slower shot.

This is what I was getting at in the comparison of golfers. I do not have the quickness needed to get through the shot to get the true power of a low kick stick. Now put the shoe on the other foot. A smaller quicker player who is so quick that the mid kick stick never quite releases before the puck leaves the blade. All I can say is, I hope they never completely get rid of mid kick sticks!

My other question is, how much length should be cut or added when changing lie? I have been using a p91a pretty consistently at a particular length. Anytime I go to a 6 lie stick and I can not figure out if it should be shorter or longer. I usually keep my p91a sticks at the collarbone. Wrangler, do you or anyone else on here have any recomendation?

I will add that to the list, but it will vary somewhat due to the fact that the plugs are often inconsistent from one to the next.

My other question is, how much length should be cut or added when changing lie? I have been using a p91a pretty consistently at a particular length. Anytime I go to a 6 lie stick and I can not figure out if it should be shorter or longer. I usually keep my p91a sticks at the collarbone. Wrangler, do you or anyone else on here have any recomendation?

For me a .5 lie difference is somewhere around an inch or so.

I will add that to the list, but it will vary somewhat due to the fact that the plugs are often inconsistent from one to the next.

For me a .5 lie difference is somewhere around an inch or so.

Just to clarify, if I go from a 5.5 lie stick to a 6 I would remove an inch?

Just to clarify, if I go from a 5.5 lie stick to a 6 I would remove an inch?

Yes, I would start there and see how that feels to you.

This is what I was getting at in the comparison of golfers. I do not have the quickness needed to get through the shot to get the true power of a low kick stick. Now put the shoe on the other foot. A smaller quicker player who is so quick that the mid kick stick never quite releases before the puck leaves the blade. All I can say is, I hope they never completely get rid of mid kick sticks!

I'm trying to learn this myself. I see that a P91a is a lie 6, but I don't see what lie you're comparing it to. The higher the lie number, the closer to your body the stick will be when flat on the ice, so that will make your top hand higher. Shorten the stick to put your top hand back where it was with the lower lie number.

Make sure you're comfortable with the new lie, and like stickhandling and shooting at that distance from your body.

Yes, I would start there and see how that feels to you.

Awesome! I just thought I would try switching to either the p14, p106, or p92. I believe the p14 sets up a little higher in lie than the p91a. I will give this a try.

I'm trying to learn this myself. I see that a P91a is a lie 6, but I don't see what lie you're comparing it to. The higher the lie number, the closer to your body the stick will be when flat on the ice, so that will make your top hand higher. Shorten the stick to put your top hand back where it was with the lower lie number.

Make sure you're comfortable with the new lie, and like stickhandling and shooting at that distance from your body.

Bauer says the p91a is a 6 lie but I have seen many people on here call it a 5.5 and comparing it to the Easton Drury it sets up the same. The Drury is a 5.5. It Definitely sets up lower than the p14 to me. Thanks for the help guys. This will aid me in branching out and trying new curves. I have always done the opposite and just been frustrated by this!

I have a question about stick flex. Should I be determining what flex I use from my physical strength, from how hard I can swing the stick, or just based completely off feel. I am a pretty small guy (5'6) and I can't really say I'm all that strong. I never lift weights, all my workouts are cardio based. Using a 105 flex stick I find I have as good of a slap shot with my 90 flex stick. The 105 stick I may have a little bit more power, but the 90 flex I definitely have better accuracy taking one timers.

I have a question about stick flex. Should I be determining what flex I use from my physical strength, from how hard I can swing the stick, or just based completely off feel. I am a pretty small guy (5'6) and I can't really say I'm all that strong. I never lift weights, all my workouts are cardio based. Using a 105 flex stick I find I have as good of a slap shot with my 90 flex stick. The 105 stick I may have a little bit more power, but the 90 flex I definitely have better accuracy taking one timers.

People can tell you what might, or should, be better for you to start with, but it's results that count.

Sounds like you've got the differences figured out, and you just need to decide which result you prefer.

I can't imagine either stick is bending all that much considering the stiffness once it is cut down. Go with whatever you want but using a stick that stiff is putting a lot of wear and tear on your shoulders and elbows.

I can't imagine either stick is bending all that much considering the stiffness once it is cut down. Go with whatever you want but using a stick that stiff is putting a lot of wear and tear on your shoulders and elbows.

I have an Easton S3, 85 flex, (cut at the 87 flex mark) which is near perfect flex for me (just a tad too soft.) I just received an Easton S15, 85 flex yesterday, haven't used it yet, but it feels a LOT stiffer than my S3, even though they are marked the same flex. Can I expect it to loosen up a bit with some use? I think I will be struggling to load it up the way it is. (I'm 180cm, 74kg)

S3 has a lot more fiberglass, chances are it broke in quite a bit from the time it was new. Or the flex was way off to begin with, lower end sticks often aren't as consistent as the upper end models. Yes, it will break in, but there's no way to describe how much.

what would be good for a 11 year old kid

int

4'8

120 lbs

Trial and error, there are no one size fit all answers.

I'd begin at 55 if you can find it.

what would be good for a 11 year old kid

int

4'8

120 lbs

I have an 11 year old, who is roughly the same height (a little taller) but quite a bit lighter (around 80lbs).

My son has an excellent shot for his age, due to good balance and mechanics,(well that and a bucket of pucks almost every day) and he is happy with 50 flex/jr stick. Currently using a jr EQ50.

Your son, would probably do well with a good jr stick at this point. Having said that, he may like a an intermediate flex (65) if he is exceptionally strong and has very good mechanics. I do know some 11 year olds with wicked shots that use intermediate sticks. My main hesitation regarding the intermediate flex, would be that your son may have to cut the stick down too much resulting in something more like an 80 flex.

One thing I have noticed on my son's tour through the various brands is that you shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that the number 50, or 52, or 55 means anything when comparing different brands. There is a wide variation of flexes between brands.

I would suggest that, Warriors and Eastons seem to be the most whippy in the jr group. My son had a Reebok 10k that was stiifer than my adult stick. Even on different lines from the same manufacturer there can be differences...my son had a jr totalone that was stiffer than his vapor x:60 stick.

I would tell your son to trade sticks with buddies when they are on the ice prior to parctice and to try a bunch that way.

Little off-topic but was wondering what the average size guys out there use. I'm 5'9" in shoes and 200lbs. I've used 100-110 flex cut maybe an inch or so for a long time. Seems like the High school kids (I'm 27) I see these days more often than not range from 75-85? Even at the age I had 100"s, I would say I have good mechanics but so do some of the kids at the rink so seems strange that they would use such a whippy flex.

Little off-topic but was wondering what the average size guys out there use. I'm 5'9" in shoes and 200lbs. I've used 100-110 flex cut maybe an inch or so for a long time. Seems like the High school kids (I'm 27) I see these days more often than not range from 75-85? Even at the age I had 100"s, I would say I have good mechanics but so do some of the kids at the rink so seems strange that they would use such a whippy flex.

I'm 5' 11" in shoes and 160lbs. I prefer an 85flex and cut about an inch off. So puts it around...90-95flex once I'm said and done. So far I've done this using Bauer X:40 & X:50, CCM U+ 08, CCM CL+, and CCM CS+. I found that the Bauer X:40 and X:50 flex best (to my liking) this way, and then having the CL, CS, and U+08 falling in line after. That's rating them based on flex. The CL is pretty close to the Bauer, but the CS is tad stiffer while the U+ 08 seems more like a 75-85flex even after being cut. It just feels really soft.

I did try a X:50 75flex and cut off the 1" in length putting it at around 85flex and found it to be a little too flexible. It makes for a good whip stick, but definitely prefer being around that 90-95flex. I don't have a lot of upper body muscle/weight so having a 100+flex is too stiff.

Edit: Too add. . . .I do not take slapshots hardly ever. Primarily wrist shots with the occasional snap shot. That does play a role in my picking of a flex rating.