Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sc37

Boulder Hockey Shield Company

Cancel it and order from hockeymonkey. Used a coupon to essentially match the direct price. I ordered mine at like 8pm. Shipped out the next day and got it two days later. Trying it out this week.

Finally got my shield. I originally was planning on returning it, but I figured I might as well check it out. I don't like the chin cup that came with it, so I took it out and retrofitted two side straps from my old Bauer HLC visor, giving me basically a visor with mouth protection. The shield is wider than I anticipated, but overall I'd say it's a decent shield if you want to drop a bit more coin than normal. First game with it is tomorrow, so we'll see how it holds up under game conditions.

The instructions say to not use any anti-fog spray whatsoever, but just to clean it with water when needed.

I've skated with a Boulder shield for a couple years now. I like the concept and the visibility is great. The durability from impact or scratches is solid as well. I did have an issue with my first shield with the inner coating peeling that the vendor blamed on over use of 409 which is what is recommended on their website for cleaning.

The second visor has had no peeling issues, but I do find that as it ages, the anti-fog is not as effective. Cleaning the first one with 409 seemed to renew the anti-fog, but I don't want a repeat of the peeling, so I won't be doing that to this one. I've had to give up on it for the summer and go back to a cage.

I should note, I hadn't checked out their website for a while and didn't realize they had redesigned their cages. Mine is the older style with a wire cage. I don't know if the anti-fog has been improved along with the move to a plastic cage portion.

Been using the shield for a few games (without chin cup, which I removed making it basically an extra long Heatley-style visor) and it's great.

No fogging, and other than the normal issues of using a visor (decreased air flow, sweat/water on the lens) I'm happy with it and will keep it.

I'd recommend this shield to folks interested in a full shield or for beer leaguers like me who want a visor but also want more coverage for the chiclets.

I finally attached mine today. It came with 2 screws in case the screws that were used for my cage were too short. Really no need for any other mounting hardware as my helmet had the J clips still on it. Installed in 2 minutes and was ready to go. Used it tonight in a game. No issues with fogging at all and the rink was warm as was the outside temperature (105-107). Visibility seemed as good as my Bauer straight cut visor (the new 2012 version), I personally didn't notice a difference in optics. I got it for the mouth/jaw protection my visor helmet doesn't provide and I'll be keeping it as my game helmet and use my visor for sticktimes.

Does anyone have any input on if this setup can mount on a S19 size small. I am interested in picking one up for my son but with the difficuty I had in even finding a cage that fit on it worth a damn makes me wonder if I am just going to end up sending it back anyway.

Boulder now makes a smaller sized mask which should fit your helmet. Any questions, you can message the company and the owner will answer pretty quickly...

I thought I would post up my impression of the unit as well of some quick pics of it on my Cascade M11 helmet for those that are interested in seeing it.

Initial impressions - I bought mine recently and had a similar experience to many that have responded before. Bill, the owner, responded quickly and communicated regarding some questions I had. Shipping times were very quick, but I was also close by. The mask comes in a nice box and included some longer mounting screws and a pair of those hooks that catch the mask on the sides of your helmet (neither of which I needed with my particular helmet). The mask is great quality, very well built and very clean looking. It was a little tricky to mount because of how the tabs sit below the mask when closed, but in general bolted right up. Like others, I replaced the chin pad with my own because it's not terribly comfortable and the straps are barely long enough. Maybe I have a long face, though I've never had that issue before, but the mask is on the short side and it took some adjusting to make it so the chin strap wasn't up above my chin.

Playing - The mask breaths surprisingly well and I suspect this is the key to having it not fog. Even if I was laboring really hard after a shift and sitting still on the bench, I wasn't able to get it to fog even a little. To my eyes, the field of vision was clear and accurate as well. No issues at all and a HUGE improvement over the cage in my opinion. I've only used it about 5 times at this point, so I can't say too much about the longevity of it, but so far so good. The very first day I even took a stick pretty hard to the shield portion of the mask and didn't get and scratches or marks.

So, for now there is no way I'm going back to my cage. This was a really big improvement for the money if you're in the market for something similar and it's made right here in North America which is cool I think.

Below are some quick pictures I got of it all mounted up on my helmet. Please, no jokes about my ugly mug. :cool:

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

I still think they look ridiculous... but I think after reading your review and seeing those pictures, I'm sold on at least giving them a try.

I don't mind the side view but from the front it seems like it is way to wide for the helmet and since I would be looking to install on a size small S19 I think am going to have to hold off unless someone can give me any information on that exact combination.

Been looking for an alternative to my cage for a while now, just ordered one of these from total hockey, will post pics and my thoughts when I get it.

I don't mind the side view but from the front it seems like it is way to wide for the helmet and since I would be looking to install on a size small S19 I think am going to have to hold off unless someone can give me any information on that exact combination.

This. Looks fine from the side, looks ridiculous from the front. Still worth a try, though.

The biggest problem i have seen with these types of shields is that we are human and we sweat, therefore some drops might make their way and obstruct vision, this means that between shifts youll have to most propably remove the helmet to clean it, some people wouldnt mind i guess but some others will and dont have time or the patience to remove the helmet and put it back on between shifts. I clean the inside of my half shield without removing my helmet fairly well and it takes a couple of seconds, and with a cage no need to worry about that.

I too have a M11 helmet and have a question. If you have a large helmet do you get the large or medium shield ? I put a Bauer 7500 cage on my M11 and it is a medium. I am very interested in trying this shield and is worth trying for a reasonable price.

I thought I would post up my impression of the unit as well of some quick pics of it on my Cascade M11 helmet for those that are interested in seeing it.

Initial impressions - I bought mine recently and had a similar experience to many that have responded before. Bill, the owner, responded quickly and communicated regarding some questions I had. Shipping times were very quick, but I was also close by. The mask comes in a nice box and included some longer mounting screws and a pair of those hooks that catch the mask on the sides of your helmet (neither of which I needed with my particular helmet). The mask is great quality, very well built and very clean looking. It was a little tricky to mount because of how the tabs sit below the mask when closed, but in general bolted right up. Like others, I replaced the chin pad with my own because it's not terribly comfortable and the straps are barely long enough. Maybe I have a long face, though I've never had that issue before, but the mask is on the short side and it took some adjusting to make it so the chin strap wasn't up above my chin.

Playing - The mask breaths surprisingly well and I suspect this is the key to having it not fog. Even if I was laboring really hard after a shift and sitting still on the bench, I wasn't able to get it to fog even a little. To my eyes, the field of vision was clear and accurate as well. No issues at all and a HUGE improvement over the cage in my opinion. I've only used it about 5 times at this point, so I can't say too much about the longevity of it, but so far so good. The very first day I even took a stick pretty hard to the shield portion of the mask and didn't get and scratches or marks.

So, for now there is no way I'm going back to my cage. This was a really big improvement for the money if you're in the market for something similar and it's made right here in North America which is cool I think.

Below are some quick pictures I got of it all mounted up on my helmet. Please, no jokes about my ugly mug. :cool:

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

I too have a M11 helmet and have a question. If you have a large helmet do you get the large or medium shield ? I put a Bauer 7500 cage on my M11 and it is a medium. I am very interested in trying this shield and is worth trying for a reasonable price.

They just have two sizes, adult and junior. My helmet is a large, and I got the adult mask.

Used mine for the first time today. Clear adult with Cascade M11 large helmet. I previously had a Bauer Concept II but replaced it with the 920 clear shield on top wire cage on bottom because the Concept 2 fogged up too much. I guess I have a weird wide head (so far only the Cascade fits well) and the 920 can't fully seat in the J clips without compressing my head so I thought I'd try the Boulder. Installation was easy. I agree that I think it looks bad from the front, ok from the sides. It has this plastic piece that sticks out a bit in the top center part that distorted my vision a little bit when looking up that took a little to get used to. There was less condensation on the Bolder compared to the Concept 2, but after skating hard some moisture did build up mainly on the lower part of the shield. Final thoughts after only 1 use - ok, but not the greatest.

Does the black color obstruct your vision at all? I am currently using the Concept II and like it but do have some problems with fogging while on the bench. My main problem with this type of shield is that by the 3 period I have so much sweat in my eyes I can barely see. That's with a skull cap under my helmet too. Wondering if the airflow would be better with the Boulder?

Does the black color obstruct your vision at all? I am currently using the Concept II and like it but do have some problems with fogging while on the bench. My main problem with this type of shield is that by the 3 period I have so much sweat in my eyes I can barely see. That's with a skull cap under my helmet too. Wondering if the airflow would be better with the Boulder?

It's a fair point. Now that I've skated with it a fair amount, I had to start bringing a rag to the bench with me to wipe of my face between shifts as needed. It's not because i'm sweating more, but because you become more aware of your sweat getting on the mask when you have that visor that can get smudges on it if sweat gets on it. Additionally, you can't wipe your forehead or brows off through your mask anymore with your fingers (like to keep sweat out of your eyes).

To answer your question though, no the black doesn't bother my vision. If I look down towards my chin, I certainly can see the black cage, but generally I'm only ever just looking out through the visor itself and the cage part doesn't really come into play.

It's a fair point. Now that I've skated with it a fair amount, I had to start bringing a rag to the bench with me to wipe of my face between shifts as needed. It's not because i'm sweating more, but because you become more aware of your sweat getting on the mask when you have that visor that can get smudges on it if sweat gets on it. Additionally, you can't wipe your forehead or brows off through your mask anymore with your fingers (like to keep sweat out of your eyes).

That's common to all visors. I started cutting my hair a lot shorter when I started wearing a visor, I got tired of cleaning up the sweat splatter.

Played my first game with the new boulder face mask that is exactly like the one pictured above by bryceepoo. Have to say that it is a big improvement over the Concept II. No fogging issues and the airflow seems to be better. While playing it almost feels like I'm not wearing anything at all. Very nice upgrade.

Try "Headsweats Coolmax Shorty" to help prevent sweat getting on your shield. I only get sweat on my visor if I take my helmet off. I can't play a game without it now!