Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Lester8

Bauer 4000 HH

Fit: Has single-tool adjustment that works. Very helpful as I only need one stubby screwdriver and I don’t have to take the helmet off to adjust or tighten screws. The shape suits heads that are narrow (long front-to-back). The helmet does have some “stretch†to it so it can accommodate slightly less narrow heads like mine. Just pulling on the sides with my hands before the first few sessions gave it the width I need, although the widening/stretching made the helmet slightly shallower. I wear 7 1/8" hats and I wear this helmet in medium, opened one click. The dual density foam layers are pliable enough to conform to the contours of your skull. 8/10.

Protection: At first, the helmet seemed to be lacking in coverage. Much of the forehead and back felt exposed. On the ice, it’s a non-issue and the helmet has never let me down. 9/10.

Weight: Very light weight. Easily in the top 3 of the lightest, approved helmets on the retail market as of posting. Nothing else good or bad I can say. 8/10.

Durability: My helmet cracked by the lower screw behind the ear. It’s still usable, though against recommendations by Bauer and the CSA. The ear loops haven’t ripped at all. I’m still using the original chinstrap and clip. The oxidized screws rusted very little. The foam has held up well. The glue does its job. After 4 years, the rear pad has just now come lose. The outer shell has no other major damage to it. The fault line is the biggest and only downfall of this helmet. 6/10.

Intangibles: I have washed this helmet many times without a problem. You can remove all screws and bolts except for the front two anchors. With the helmet taken apart, submerge everything except for those anchors in soapy water. This will remove sweat and prolong the life of the plastic shell. Rinse, let dry, and reassemble. It doesn’t seem to harm the foam or glue.

Conclusion: I have no complaints about this helmet other than the cracking, which happens on many of these helmets. I would buy another one. It’s my favorite helmet out of the current offering. Has lasted over 4 years without use of a helmet bag. 8/10.

I'm actually reviewing the Nike 0004, which is the exact same helmet as the Bauer 4000, minus the logos.

Fit- First off, I have a pretty darn big head. I've had a hard time fitting into many of the new helmets, such as the Itech HC 100 and CCM 1052. With those helmets, its more the shape of the helmet that doesn't work with my head, not the size. I got the 0004 in a XL and even though I have it on the smallest setting, it fits me perfectly. Its the best fitting helmet that I've ever worn, but obviously it won't fit every head type. 9.5/10

Protection- I've always felt that this helmet has pretty good protection, but not great. I tend to get hit a lot and I've had some pretty big hits on my head while wearing this helmet. I had two very mild concussions while wearing this helmet, but I don't think any helmet (minus the Carbster) would prevent that. Sometimes if I get hit in the head hard, I'll get a little big of a headache. I sort of question the protection in the helmet with just the thin layers of foam. 6/10

Weight- Very, very light, even with a cage straped on. No complaints at all. 10/10

Durability- Had it for over two full seasons. I'm usually on the ice around 5-10 hours a week. Its held up great. A few scratches here and there, but no cracks or anything. 10/10

Intangibles- I've been pretty limited to helmets because of the fitting issue. Its served its purpose well. I like it. Its a classic looking helmet, and its easily adjustable. I don't mind the one tool adjustment at all, I think its more stable than the 5000's clips.

Conclusion- Its a great helmet for most levels of play. Its light, it has a great fit, and its durable. I've had it for two years and am going to replace it soon. Unless the new Bauer 8000 will fit my noggin, I'll be buying another one of these shortly. I'd suggest this helmet to most anyone, but if you've had head problems in the past, or play in an overly physical league, I'd probably get something more protective. Overall I give this helmet a 8.5/10.

Fit: Easy to adjust, fits my head fairly well, a little tight on the sides, but it doesn't cause any problems. 8/10

Protection: No complaints after switching from a 4000, but I haven't been in any situations to test it. 8/10 TBD later.

Weight: Very light weight. Easily in the top 3 of the lightest, approved helmets on the retail market as of posting. Nothing else good or bad I can say. 8/10.

Durability: I have had issues with cracking in the past on the 4000 models, but this seems to be better. Overall with my 3 4000's on the line they get a 8/10. They seem to last longer than the 5000 because of the padding used.

Intangibles: I am a fan of the traditional padding, I find it more comfortable. Protection has been there and durability seems to be improving.

Conclusion: If it fits, go for it. It does what it is supposed to do, but doesn't go beyond it. 8.5/10

Fit: this bucket generally fits my head well and there are no complaints about it whatsoever. 10/10

Protection: Gotten some use out of it going into the boards after being slewfooted into the boards, could have a bit more shock protection but overall, my head still works. I'm not sure if EPS on other helmets will do that much of a difference 8/10.

Weight: Fairly light and that's due to it's low profile design. Not too much extra stuff. I wonder how much lighter they could get this thing if they used EPS. 8/10.

Durability: So far, mine has held up, but i've seen a whole ton of them cracking at the adjustment screw areas. 8/10

Intangibles: I guess this is a pretty good looking helmet although fit and protection should be the most important factors. Good that you can remove the ear gaurds and I like the floating ear loops. 9/10

Conclusion: This helmet fits most heads from my experience and all round, without breaking the bank, this a great helmet. 8.25/10