Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
UMWhockey

Easton Synergy Elite

2007 Easton Synergy Elite Grip Forsberg 85 RH

Introduction: I'm 5'7 200 lbs, 24 years old. I skate anywhere from 5-8 times a week between playing beer league and coaching travel hockey. I am not a big slap shot guy, so my sticks don't take that kind of a beating, but I would say I have an above average wrist and snap shot in which I really put a lot of flex into the stick. With that, I whip out sticks long before they break.

Aesthetics: I am starting to care less and less about what my equipment looks like, so this is not a big deal to me. I think the stick looks sharp without being overly flashy.

9/10

Assembly: I can't say I really looked that closely at the stick before I got it. I didn't notice anything cosmetic wrong with the stick and there seemed to be nothing wrong at the taper or the blade when I received the stick.

9/10

Weight and Balance: Coming off using the Stealth, the adjustment wasn't as big for me as the adjustment I made from the Si-core to the Stealth. The stick is very well balanced, much better than the Stealth, which added to more puck control. I think Easton's goal was to make it more balanced than previous models and they did a wonderful job.

10/10

Blade: Maybe this stick took a little more of a beating then my Stealth did, but the blade was not as durable in the SE as it was in the Stealth. Off the shelf, the blade was a little softer than the Stealth, which I liked. It offered better puck control and receiving. As I used the stick more and more the blade started chipping much more than it did with the Stealth, along with getting much softer than I like a blade to be. I guess there is a give and take between making a stick more balanced and giving it better blade stiffness.

6/10

Shaft/Flex: I have always loved the 85 flex Easton makes. They always have a very good feel when I flex them and creates a perfect flex for me to shoot with power out of any position. The shaft seemed a little thicker than the Stealth, which provided for a softer puck feel which I like. The shaft also seemed to fit a little bit better in my hands which made it a little more comfortable to play with than the Stealth.

10/10

Stickhandling and Passing: This stick had a slightly unfair advantage over the Stealth since I was now used to a much lighter stick than in the past. That being said, I had much better feel with the SE than with the Stealth. The shaft seemed a little thicker along with a softer blade gave me much better control as well as better feel. My only problem was that the blade went too soft too soon and I lost a little bit of the strength in face offs and battles for the puck.

8/10

Shooting: Although the stick felt better to me off the shelf, I was able to whip out the stick a little too quickly. To me the stick shoots much better than the Stealth right off the shelf, but the Stealth had a lot more durability as far as maintain stiffness. Also I felt the stiffer blade of the Stealth gave me a better slap shot as opposed to the SE which went soft and made it hard to transfer all my energy to the puck as well as keep it online. for a pure shooting aspect, the Stealth is a better stick

8/10

Durability: Like I said before, I do whip out sticks, but don't break them very easily. While the stick has yet to break, it is broken down. This shaft and blade chip very easily. My stick looks like I have had it for years, even though I have played with it for about 3 months. I was very disappointed with the durability of the stick and hope the S17 has improved on this flaw.

5/10

Performance drop: This was also another area where I was disappointed in the stick. The blade went soft after only a couple weeks and the shaft whipped out much sooner than with the Stealth. While the softer blade and shaft allow me to take quicker and harder off balance shots, I am unable to get the max out of a hard wrist or slap shot in which I really try to get my weight into.

6/10

Conclusion: Off the shelf this is a better stick I felt than the Stealth which I had before. It would be my stick of choice if I had an endless supply of them and was able to use a new one every couple of weeks. Like most of us though, I don't have that luxury. I need a stick that can take a beating and maintains it's stiffness. I put a lot of flex into my wrist and snap shots and need a shaft and blade that can hold up to it. If the next stick I buy is an Easton, I might have to go back to the Stealth.

8/10

Sorry that I compared this stick to the Stealth the entire time, but since it was the last stick I had used it gave me something to compare it to. Hope someone finds this review helpful.

~Mike

Product: Synergy SE Non Grip (1)Pro-Stock McCabe, (2)Pro-Stock Pyatt

Curve: (1)Slight Heel Open, (2)Moderate Heel Open

Flex: Felt like 85 - no posted flex ratings on the sticks

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 180lbs

Type: Ice Hockey

Blade: The blade on the SE has good feel for the puck. It doesn't feel as stiff as other blades I've used. Passing and Shooting are great with this stick. Blade durability wasn't so great as both my SE's broke in the blade. Stick (1) got caught along the boards and the blade snapped in half, while stick (2) ended up splitting along the bottom of the blade.

8.5/10

Flex: As I posted above - there were no flex ratings on either sticks. They did feel very good in the flex department. They flexed a lot during slap shots but didn't feel like they were whipping out. The kick point also felt very low on the shaft so shots were very consistent and very hard. I noticed I was shooting harder right off the bat with both of these sticks. The SE's definitely shine in this area.

10/10

Weight and balance: The SE doesn't feel too light or too heavy. It seems to be balanced very well overall. I have no complaints in this area and never really thought about it when I was using them so that must be a good sign.

9/10

Durability: The performance of these sticks were very good. Shooting, passing, stick handling etc. are a breeze with the SE. Both the SE's I was using broke within 2 months of usage. Stick (1) was unfortunate - I broke it along the boards. I guess that is an unfair review since it was just a case of bad luck. Stick (2) was used about 20 times before the blade split along the bottom. It does seem that durability is a common issue with the SE after talking to some friends with similar problems.

7/10

Shooting/Passing: The SE definitely shines in the area of shooting. The stick flexes in the right places and shots rocket off the blade. My slap shot was immediately harder the first time I used this stick. Quick releases with snap shots and wrist shots were also a breeze. Passing felt good as well. The blade doesn't seem as stiff as other blades and taking hard passes is no problem at all with the SE.

10/10

Conclusion: The performance of this stick is very good. Shots are very hard and accurate. The stick has good balance and feels great on the ice. I would highly recommend the Synegy Elite if you don't have a problem with the price tag and some probable durability issues.

44.5/50

5'10" 160lbs

rec hockey player (been on skates since i was 3)

playmaker but shoot as often as possible

pro-stock horcoff (cut 1" from top to make it about 115 flex)

Blade:

very nice feel on the blade. not super stiff like nbh sticks or s17 but shots still come off very quickly. passes, both taking and giving, are about as good as you can get. there does sound like a bit of a breakdown in the blade so i'm not sure whether the bladder they use is working or if the blade is breaking down. 9/10

Flex:

very nice in how it loads and the consistent flex with each shot. wrist shots come off quickly and consistently. slap shots are heavy and hard. the stick loads up very nicely without too much bowing. the taper definitely helps with the shooting aspect and i can't complain... too much... 8.5/10

Weight and balance:

not too heavy and not too light. very nice balance from blade to butt. redistribution of weight helps in balance. 9.5/10

Durability:

been using this stick for about 3 months (play twice a week usually) and nothing wrong with it that i can see... but again, the blade sounds like it's breaking down but i can't tell in its performance. 10/10

Shooting/Passing:

i would rate this stick in the top 3 purely on shooting along with the s17 and xxx-lite. they change in ranks depending on the shot you take but overall shooting, the elite is probably my #1 because it's great for quick wristers and heavy slappers. the taper works well and loads quickly with both shots.

as a playmaker, this stick is very nice. the blade has good feel and you know where the puck is at all times when stickhandling. passes sit snug when receiving and come off almost like a wood blade when making a pass. 9.5/10

Conclusion:

hard to say that this is the perfect stick but it is above average to near perfect in all categories. if you're looking for a great all around stick, this one has a good price-point and the durability is unquestionable. easton has done created a very good stick in the Elite. 9/10

Easton Synergy SE

Non-Grip

Krys Barch Pro-Stock (I'd say 85-95 flex)

Blade: I have been using two pieces with wood blades for a while, but I picked this up on the cheap so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm fairly surprised and pleased with the puck feel. Not quite wood feel, but certainly doesn't feel dead or anything like that. Blade is stiff. 8/10

Flex: Not marked. Feels consistent, no complaints here. 9/10

Balance: Coming from wood blades, this is probably the nicest part about being back with a OPS. The SE is much better balanced. On par with other OPSs I have used, very comfortable to hold and skate with. 9/10

Durability: So far it has held up marvelously, I've heard about some shenanigans with SE durability, but to date I have experienced none of it. For now... 10/10

Shot: Excellent pop. Shots are strong and true. 9/10

Looks: I like the way this stick looks. I feel like it's one of the "classiest" looking sticks out there. Professional graphics, doesn't look garish. 10/10

Conclusion: Great re-introduction to OPSs. Has renewed my faith in Easton equipment (I was not a very big fan of the SL) Feel is competitive, shots are strong, the stick is very responsive overall.

Easton Synergy SE Non-Grip 100 Flex LH Forsberg

AAA Hockey Player, 6'1 170lbs, Defenseman (+ Slapshots)

Blade: The blade is like most Easton blades, pretty hard, and the puck does bounce off them more then the Montreal Nitro or NBH One95. The hardness is great for shooting but isn't the greatest for receiving passes or stick handling. 8.5/10

Flex: At 100 flex, it was perfect for me for both slapshots, snapshots and even hard passes. Comparing it to a 102 Flex One95 it does feel a tad stiffer, which creates great slapshots. Kickpoint could be lower, but regardless still a great flex for me, personally. 9.5/10

Weight and Balance: Very light and only a tad blade heavy, but not enough to ruin the performance or feel of the stick. 9.5/10

Durability: Compared to other sticks I've used, the Synergy SE seems about average. I went through 3 of them in abut a 3 month span which is unfortunately normal for me. The stick would last and not wear too bad for the whole time, and then suddenly it would break. 7.5/10

Shooting/Passing: Amazing shots, probably the hardest slapshots and snapshots I've ever hard because of the flex and hardness of the blade. Passing was great, aside for the receiving of the passes like I already noted. 10/10

Conclusion: This stick is a great stick for the current price, if you can find them. Makes for great shooting, both hard and accurate, and good passing. Receiving passes can be an issue, but shouldn't make you not want to buy the stick. If this stick would last more then one month I'd buy a whole stack of Elites. 45/50

Introduction: I'm 5'10, 180 but with a pretty heavy shot and i prefer to use 100 flex's cut really short. I bought a 100 flex Iginla, no grip and used it in midget aa.

Aesthetics: The stick is actually a pretty pleasant looking stick, nice finish on it and a tasefull design without going too far. I'd have to say for me

9/10

Assembly: The stick seemed very well done, no abnormalities, no small nicks from the factory couldn't have asked for better

10/10

Weight and Balance: Coming off using a cnt stealth, it felt honestly pretty much the same. Blindfolded id have trouble telling the sticks apart except for the shaft shape. Its a very light stick with an even lighter blade, my favorite.

10/10

Blade: The blade wasnt too bad, it had pretty good feel and lasted me about a month before going soft on me. It tended to chip pretty easy though my only big flaw. The cnt blade seemed to last quite a big longer on the stealth. Overall however the blade was a good feeling and shooting blade and lasted in the middle of most of my other sticks/

7/10

Shaft/Flex: I have, for a long time preferred easton sticks. There flex and feel is unparalleled. The only problem i had was the paint finish, despite looking great after a mere week the stick looked old and battered. Cosmetics aside however, i felt as this was one of the best shafts i have ever used in my life.

11/10

Stickhandling and Passing: I coudlnt ask for more. The blade light stick surprisingly had a very lively feel and a great pop to it, yet was forgiving enough to take hard passes without any major problems. Its a great stick to dangle in traffic with, its light and easy to swing pretty quick and easily one of the easiest sticks to deke with.

Stickhandling - 10/10

Passing - 8.5/10

Shooting: This is where a bladelight stick with a fairly low kickpoint is going to suffer. Using a one95 after i noticed a big difference in my shot. However, it seems to be a better balance for feel and balance then the one95 which was fairly blade heavy and i had a bit of trouble in traffic with. Not a shooters stick, but still pretty decent quality.

7/10

Durability: Being the light stick it is, its going to suffer in durability. I got a little more then a month out of my first stick but by that time there was nothing left. The paint was nonexistent, it was chipped up pretty bad and had a minor crack on the blade. Im hard on sticks, but 1 month is kinda lame.

5/10

Performance drop: This is a hard part to monitor, seeing as i broke the stick in a month. Despite the stick being ready to break though, it seemed fairly solid and didnt need replacement. I felt as if the stick had lasted me a few months however it would have been too soft to use.

6/10

Conclusion: I really enjoyed this stick, but if your more concerned about durability then a light stick then i would stay away from this. If you dont mind going through 4 or 5 sticks give or take a few, then this is your stick. Still no cnt stealth though.

8.5/10 (I would give it higher but im sure the durability would effect a lot of other people)