Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Da cherry picker or suck hole is one of the things that will always be there. Da D that does not move up with the play staying back by his own blue line is just as bad. I just play for the fun the glory of HS ended in the 70s. We were good and young at that time.

Pick up should be live and let live.

I hopped over the boards and took a seat, and noticed a guy using a stick that looked just like mine. Fast forward a few minutes and I see the guy hop over the boards put my spare stick down and pick up another stick. When I asked if he grabbed my stick by accident he said no he wanted to try out the curve, which I follow up with are you serious? I'm a very level headed person but this pushed all my buttons. Explained to the guy that grabbing someones hockey stick isn't something you do without asking, which he didn't understand and apparently made me sound like an asshole because he responded with " I didn't break it, I don't see what the big deal is"........what the hell is wrong with people

Oh hell no. I woulda hit that dude on my next shift. That wouldn't fly with me. Cuz you know if he would've broken it, he woulda skated back with the 2 pieces like, "sorry dude, I grabbed your stick by accident".....

Pet peave being in the hospital 3 days and now cannot play for 4 more days missing the rare fleeting pick up outdoor ice.

The good thing is I am still upright!

Even in MN the outdoor season flies by too fast.

No more complaints from me glad to be a Grandpa that can still play da game.

Last weekly outside game 08 mar 15. No pet peeves at the game just lots of fun. Time to clean up the fishing poles and dig out the tennis gear.

60s this week in Metro MN

Pet peave, wish the rinks would leave the nets out for roller. Have to haul a net to the park.

<---Don't care what color your socks are, three jersey color options, black or navy, and white. I think that's a great hockey team too! Unless the team jersey is black, navy or 90% white then put it back in the car so you have something dry to wear after.

Is this jersey appropriate for black team for shinny?

tronjersey2.jpg

The other day I was playing pick up and was on the light team and one of the guys was wearing a yellow jersey which doesn't bother me as long as we discuss it before hand. I did however make a perfect tape to tape pass to someone on the dark team wearing a vintage kings jersey with yellow shoulders. I hate when I do that.

Who does that?? You know damn well yellow is going to annoy people... You seriously don't own a white or black jersey??

I agree, but its just roller pick up with 12 guys. It doesn't really bother me that much. I mean the guy on dark was wearing a light purple jersey with yellow shoulders same could be said for him. I don't really take pick up that serious, because after all its just pick up. I only get annoyed when people do stupid things like rip a slapper when you're standing in front of them.

I agree, but its just roller pick up with 12 guys. It doesn't really bother me that much. I mean the guy on dark was wearing a light purple jersey with yellow shoulders same could be said for him. I don't really take pick up that serious, because after all its just pick up. I only get annoyed when people do stupid things like rip a slapper when you're standing in front of them.

I dunno if its just something with roller hockey, but it seems like whenever I do a roller drop it, there is never more than 3 people in the same color jersey, unless a whole team shows up. One time I went and the teams were red pink and blue vs black, white, and any other color. theres also the guy with top end skates that shows up but only brings one jersey and when you ask him, he says he doesn't want to buy a light jersey.

Ice, almost everyone around here has some semblance of a light and dark for drop ins.

I agree, it's just that sometimes in life the small things annoy me more than the big things, just because the small things SHOULDNT be a problem in the first place.

So no it's obviously not all that big a deal, but it's something that should just seem like common sense to anyone with an IQ higher than that of a jar of mayonnaise. :)

I agree, it's just that sometimes in life the small things annoy me more than the big things, just because the small things SHOULDNT be a problem in the first place.

So no it's obviously not all that big a deal, but it's something that should just seem like common sense to anyone with an IQ higher than that of a jar of mayonnaise. :)

Yellow I can handle, even red is OK if you decide before hand. But grey pisses me off. Three guys wore grey t-shirts to inline pickup the other night. Two were on one team, one was on the other until I booted him to the other bench.

Red is easier for me (as a goalie) to read as 'dark', yellow presents more of a conundrum depending on who got the yellows, and most of the white jerseys I've seen are halfway on the way to becoming grey anyway. As a player there might be only 8 people a side, so I just note who I'm playing with and leave it at that.

Now, when I'm a goalie and the teams want to swap who they're shooting on midway through? Then everything goes all pear-shaped.

(pet peeve, as a goalie: players audibly complaining to each other about your performance. Chill, guys, I know I'm new at this, we all know that, I'm trying.)

Doesn't bother me as much as a goalie... I just stop the puck regardless of Jersey colour ;) haha

And yea, or when you get your D being like "you've gotta be kidding me..." when you let one in.

Default goalie mode: "EVERYONE IS THE ENEMY - PROTECT THE PUCK - WHOSE LEGS ARE THOSE - GET THAT STICK AWAY FROM ME - oh you're on my team."

At this particular pickup it was the (middle-school aged?) sons of one of the guys who runs it, and I think he gave them an earful about it. Learning experience for the kids. Adults should know better, though. Or maybe not be so intensely concerned with the score of a pickup game.

I've had enough of my own defencemen tipping pucks or nearly scoring on me where I just try to stop anything and everything. Heh. You just never know when one of them might fling the puck towards their own net...lol

Here is my pickup pet peeve for the month...

I play pickup with a specific group of guys once in a while that have agreed that its ok to generally play the body. So if you start getting cute with the puck or dangling, someone is likely to throw you a hip. To be honest there really is not much hitting going on. Just some bumping or pinching someone off into the boards occasionally ( or a couple of the younger guys who all know each other well and like to play that way with each other). At my age and with some physical issues, I dont throw the body around (ever) because I dont want to give people an excuse for paybacks.

So the other night a young buck decides that he will show this old man a thing or two, and rides me into the boards pretty good and I end up with a pretty deeply bruised thigh muscle. Swollen from hip to knee, I can barely walk and climbing stairs is excruciating. I am also going to most likely miss playing in the Labatts Tourney this weekend because of it.

Now, I'm not complaining about getting hit, and I know that is part of the game and thats all good. My only bitch is that I wish people would remember on the ice that we all have lives off the ice as well. Like I said, I don't mind being hit, but going for a highlight reel hit on a Monday night shinny is probably not going to make you any friends. FWIW, I am not a dangler, or a coast to coast guy, I do have pretty good speed, but I normally just try to make passing plays and move the puck to open teammates....

Rant Off :)

As long as I score either net is fine. I pass to the open man regardless of team. We roll that way in MN.

Ha, Ha, Theres a guy that skates in our over 40 sunday skate that will just out of the blue, turn in his own end and fire one at his own goalie just to "keep him awake".. Its all in good fun and we have good laugh about it. The goalies are onto him so whenever he has the puck, they keep an eye on him :laugh:

We have never heard the rational from the guys who bring odd color jerseys for pickup. Why do you chose to bring red, yellow, grey, etc? It can't be cost, since practice jerseys can be found everywhere for < $15.

Please tell me why?

It is so much easier to keep track of where your team is when everyone is wearing white or black/navy. I'd say less than half the guys at my local rink have the common sense to bring white and dark. The yellows, reds, greys get put on different sides depending on which team is short. This makes it difficult to keep track of since it is different every day.

A typical game at my local rink looks like this... white, yellow, red, orange, light green, light blue, grey, teal, magenta, violet, silver pearl mica, VS black, dark blue, dark green, purple, royal blue, maroon, indigo, dark slate grey, goldenrod and olive drab.

I've had enough of my own defencemen tipping pucks or nearly scoring on me where I just try to stop anything and everything. Heh. You just never know when one of them might fling the puck towards their own net...lol

I skated defense in a low/intermediate level skate the other night just for fun and the goalie on my side was a definately a novice. On a dump in after a goal, just for fun, I tipped the puck to him and it went in. No doubt he wasn't expecting his own defense man to tip one to him like that, but it was a soft one and was intended as a fun gesture so he could handle the puck and make the breakout pass. He yelled at me for scoring on him :rolleyes:

Dude at drop in hockey today took a 21 minute shift with eight guys on his bench waiting. Floated between blue lines the whole time. He did the same thing Wednesday (only 15 minute shifts). Immune to comments and requests to sub. I will be deliberately making sure I am never on his team again. Unreal.

In that situation you simply need to hop over da boards and start your shift. Play as if he is not there.

21 minute shift? Likely not that great of player with a lack of understanding of da game.

Good MN boys would never do that.

Current pet peeve is guys signing up months in advance for our drop ins and then not showing or letting anyone know they can't make it 24-48 hours in advance. I help run an organized drop in and in the summer months ice time is scarce for us. We top the list off at 20 skaters and two goalies, and lately we've only had 7-8 a side. Lucky for us the rink manager doesn't charge us for the no-shows because we bring in steady money during the summer months, but it's still annoying for the other players who will show up who can't because they can't get on the list.