Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Occasional early morning student drop-in that's free but 8:30-9:30am. Just finishing up Hockey PE class. Pretty much 20 minutes of skating and passing drills, then an hour and a half of semi-organized scrimmage with the same 40 classmates.

Pretty cool deal for PE...what school do you go to?

Michigan Tech. You need 3 credits of PE (classes are a half semester -> half credit) and the list is pretty cool. Beg. Hockey, Int. Hockey, Beg. Skating (Int. is figure skating), Rifle, Bowling, Skiing (Int and Beg), Golf, Billiards, the list goes on and on.

I only just started in college. I played intramural last season, but it was $400/team for 5 games and I ended up missing two since they were midnight games before 8am exams.

That's brutal.

I only just started in college. I played intramural last season, but it was $400/team for 5 games and I ended up missing two since they were midnight games before 8am exams.

That's brutal.

I don't think it's that bad...say you pull 10 guys and a goalie on your team tahts 40 bucks per player which comes down to 8 bucks a game...pretty good deal actually.

Maybe, but I'm used to a league where the school covers everything. How stuff like that isn't covered by tuition and student union fees is beyond me.

The real kicker is the scheduling. That should never have been allowed.

Then again, I am at one of the only major metropolitan university in the world that doesn't include a transit pass in its fees...

We do get a lot of other benefits. They weren't midnight starts, but close enough. It's only worth it if you go to the playoffs, then you can play upwards of 15 games.

There is talk of increasing tuition a small amount to cover the ski pass, golf season pass, home games for D1 hockey, and a few other things, but I doubt IM hockey would be included.

Floor hockey is $60/team, but you're not paying for ice or nearly as much in facilities.

I'm getting a top-notch engineering degree at a school that loves hockey in a part of the state that celebrates hockey almost as much as Packers football. Lots of Fins around here, and Finlandia University (fine arts) hockey is another big draw, I'm not sure at what level they play at though.

I had a great one at shinny the other night. Some guy who apparently thinks he's an all-star is getting frustrated because he can't score, and his 'White' team is getting wheeled by the 'Blacks'. Finally, Dipshit gets a breakaway. I cruise out to about three feet outside the crease. He crosses the blueline, gets in to the top of the circles, winds up and drills me in the chin with a slapper. From the angle where he shot, the puck would have hit the scoreboard above the glass behind the net.

Now, again, I don't care about slapshots, even on breakaways; I don't care about getting hit in the head. I'm too well-equipped to get seriously hurt, though my mask might have been chipped (it wasn't, thankfully).

What I can't believe is that there are only two reasonable options:

1) he was just trying to blast the puck as hard as he could, and has no aim nor respect for other players including goalies; or

2) he was actually trying to take my head off.

Bear in mind, this is pick-up. If it's a league game, hey, sure, try to rattle my cage with a shot to the head on a menial scoring chance. Won't work, but give it a whirl. But on an uncontested breakway in pick-up...

The other guys on the ice had a word or two with him.

Maybe, but I'm used to a league where the school covers everything. How stuff like that isn't covered by tuition and student union fees is beyond me.

The real kicker is the scheduling. That should never have been allowed.

Then again, I am at one of the only major metropolitan university in the world that doesn't include a transit pass in its fees...

I dont know about your campus but its sure to change with UPASS coming soon right?

Peeve:

The bluelineguy who stays the the opposite blue to always get a break away pass. Always screaming "yeah! yeah! up! up!" And when you dont pass him the puck you get "dude wtf i was open" ha! Douche.

The other guys on the ice had a word or two with him.

I would imagine... when I was running my pickup hour, we had kids drilling the goalie up high from 6-7 feet out. Other guys would get concerned the goalie would get p.o.'ed and not show up anymore and ruin the hour because we'd only have one goalie.

I always laugh at the guy that drilla slappers at a goalie that just got on the ice. My buddy does it every time, pisses me off. Like honestly lets be real here, if you were a cold goalie would you want guys rapid firing slappers at you? My one buddy who comes out and plays pick-up makes me mad, he takes it so seriously and tries to his up most extent. This one time I proceeded to pull a sick dangle around him, he got mad and grabbed me by the neck and hauled me down. Not my choice of a fun pick-up game. Then there's the duster that thinks he's king shit and slooooowly skates down the ice, not passing, not doing much of anything, trying to pull a dangle around the D but proceeds to shoot because he's got no hands. Then there's the guy that has to be decked out in his favorite NHL gear, I'm talking gloves pants helmet (equipped with stickers) and jersey. Then there's the blue line milkshake, we call them that at my rink because all they do is float at the damn red/blue line. There's this one milker that comes out, every game he stands at the blue line, just waiting for a pass. When he does get it he tries to pull toe drags around every single player on the ice. He is easily stopped but like come on man. There's also the beaker. The guy who is constantly spewing verbal diarrhea on other players about their skill, but the guy alone is like bambi on ice. The greaser, classy player to watch. Jersey tucked in, tongues out, visor tilted up, zippers on pants undone, stick tape for sock tape, yellow laces, couple Chiclets missing, but is a sick player non the less. The guy who packs a monster dipski before he steps on the ice, then gets waffleboarded as it erupts from his mouth onto the other player and the ice.

Sorry for the long post but its 7:15 A.M and I haven't gone to bed and I'm craving a dip.

I gave our no pass/shift friend a little TLC last time we played. I made sure whenever I was on the ice he wouldn't get a shot so I stuck to him like glue.

Stepped next to him while he was calling for a one-timer in the slot, making his stick raised above his head ready for the shot about as useful as a weather vane (and just as goofy looking).

Stayed on his ass and tied his stick up so he couldn't get rebounds, etc.

He finally got pissed and says "What the fuck is your problem!?"

To which I reply "No problem"

Then he comes back "Every time you're out here you're all over me"

And I end it by saying "Yeah, I've noticed. I've also noticed your ass hasn't been on the bench once and I'm on my third shift out here. Do us all a favor and let someone else play for a while, eh?"

And both benches were rapping their sticks as I skated back for a change.

That guy really pissed me off. There are other long shifters, but this guy is just so stupid about it. There was one week where I was yelling from the bench "change if you're tired!" All of the forwards on the bench were drying off, getting bored, etc. I was ready to jump on and drag someone off.

Aside from the obvious guys who never get off, or guys who think that there are NHL scouts hiding in the stands, looking for the next big agitator, I guess I mostly get annoyed with people who aren't able to understand the level of "seriousness" on the ice.

Some sessions are mostly guys with good wheels who know what they're doing, and in those you go hard and everyone has a good time. Other sessions are guys who are just out to play some shinny and nobody is backchecking much and a lot of guys are obvious beginners, and so you take it a bit easier, and everyone has a good time. I just hate when there are guys who are going balls out against beginners and generally making the whole icetime a lot less enjoyable for everyone, or guys who aren't even trying to play any positional hockey or to work hard when they don't have the puck in an icetime where everyone is playing pretty hard, and it just lags everything down. I mean, if you're a beginner or you're just not up to the level of most of the other guys (I've been there plenty of times), but you're putting in effort, that's fine, and most people who aren't total jerks won't have any problem with that. I just don't get guys who see everyone else on the ice skating hard, and they're just standing upright and coasting around until they get the puck, much in the same way as I don't understand guys who are playing like it's game 7 of the finals against a bunch of beginners and guys who are just having a fun, casual game of shinny.

Also, guys who show up wasted and/or high.

There is a couple guys that proceed to get baked everytime before pick-up in the dressing room. Yah right in the room. I'm suprised a facility with 4 rinks would have a smoke detector.

And how could I forget.. being the one that organized the pickup hour, I hate the people that just don't show up without a call, email, even text message.

LJ, we have the burners that get baked before skates too....

And how could I forget.. being the one that organized the pickup hour, I hate the people that just don't show up without a call, email, even text message.

We have a simple rule...if you don't show, and don't give notice (or have a good reason after the fact), you bring the beer next week, and everyone drinks free.

We have a simple rule...if you don't show, and don't give notice (or have a good reason after the fact), you bring the beer next week, and everyone drinks free.

I really like that rule...I'm all about free beer lol, but at no cost to the game

So for now I'm just playing pickup. One ice rental that a buddy has 10:30-11:30 Tuesdays, usually the same 20-ish guys. Random stick-time at local township-run pond rinks. Occasional early morning student drop-in that's free but 8:30-9:30am. Just finishing up Hockey PE class. Pretty much 20 minutes of skating and passing drills, then an hour and a half of semi-organized scrimmage with the same 40 classmates.

Hopefully when I move and find a real job I can get into a beginner's league or find a good group of guys to get together weekly with.

Looking into entering a Labatt Pond Hockey tourney with a few friends next winter (4 on 4 no goalies). Probably the St. Ignace, MI event.

Where in the world is this!? At St. Cloud State they charge us 35 bucks a team and we have a lot more than 5 games. The hours do sometimes suck (I've had 3 A.M. games) but honestly, yours seems a bit steep. Keep in mind we only have two rinks too. Wow.

Where in the world is this!? At St. Cloud State they charge us 35 bucks a team and we have a lot more than 5 games. The hours do sometimes suck (I've had 3 A.M. games) but honestly, yours seems a bit steep. Keep in mind we only have two rinks too. Wow.

Michigan Tech

We have one sheet and no shortage of teams. There are other sheets in town, but we're competing with Div1 team, club team, womens team, figure skating club, local high school games (we have the best facilities in town), skating class, hockey class, drop-in times, open skate, etc etc.

also people who wear nhl players gear

What? The same gear or pro return gloves or what?

Someone earlier mentioned tongues out and using cloth tape on the shins. Is there some faux pas against using cloth tape on your shins?

a big pet peeve of mine (maybe i'm just ocd) but it's a player wearing 2 different color socks. I just can't comprehend it for some reason, oh well.

That bugs me too.