Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

For those who complain about "that guy" who is the pickup hockey hero and tries to stickhandle end to end a few times every shift, never goes off, and thinks hes hot shit, I have a few things I like to do.

1st thing is just totally toy with them on the bench (if they get off). If you guys are both catching a break then just totally stroke his ego and ask him if he's ever played any pro before, or Major Junior in canada etc etc. The key is to just be subtle about it and act like you really think they are awesome and played some high level hockey. I love to do this throughout the course of the entire pickup and watch a guy get off on himself...then at the very end of the pickup you can toss some sort of comment that insinuates you were fucking with him the whole time...Their reactions can get pretty priceless.

Another thing that helps get the point across when you've got a puck hog who will not pass for shit and just rolls around the offensive zone stickhandling all over the place, is just to drop down and take a knee right their on the ice. It works even better when more guys on your team do it and it usually gets the point across.

I just hate guys who think its the stanley cup out there. Im sure someone already said this in this thread, but lets face it, if you are playing men's shinny hockey at age 25 or older, the dream is over lol. I also can't stand the guys that plays the body the whole game in a non-check league, and the minute you give them a bump, they whine like a bitch. Thats about it for me.

I never whine but certaintly will play the body is a non contact, for me non contact is you dont line someone up because everyone skates with their heads down anyways

I never whine but certaintly will play the body is a non contact, for me non contact is you dont line someone up because everyone skates with their heads down anyways

i agree with this, hockey is a contact sport.. open hockey and mens league are contact, but non checking.. a guy the other day was running around hitting people..

but lets face it, if you are playing men's shinny hockey at age 25 or older, the dream is over lol.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:D

we have an old guy who plays and just elbows and slashes the whole time, plays extremely physical. if you back at him, he turns it up. even does this to the women playing.

also people who wear nhl players gear

What? The same gear or pro return gloves or what?

Someone earlier mentioned tongues out and using cloth tape on the shins. Is there some faux pas against using cloth tape on your shins?

no no no not pro return gloves and those things i actually like seeing that stuff because i get to see what players are wearing

im talking about people wearing like steve yzermans jersey for example and red wings socks

im talking about people wearing like steve yzermans jersey for example and red wings socks

So, like someone playing in an Yzerman replica jersey? Or someone who has a Gamer...and plays in it?

a big pet peeve of mine (maybe i'm just ocd) but it's a player wearing 2 different color socks. I just can't comprehend it for some reason, oh well.

You would love me and my buddy, I allways wear a navy blue sock on my left leg and my teams sock on my right. My buddy wears a solid black on his left and team color on the right. His dad started it, you may know him thomas steen.

a big pet peeve of mine (maybe i'm just ocd) but it's a player wearing 2 different color socks. I just can't comprehend it for some reason, oh well.

You would love me and my buddy, I allways wear a navy blue sock on my left leg and my teams sock on my right. My buddy wears a solid black on his left and team color on the right. His dad started it, you may know him thomas steen.

Another sock pet peeve of mine is guys who are playing on the "dark" team and wear white socks...and vice versa.

Haha, I never color cordinate at pick-up. In games yes, but in pick-up it is a must to rock the solid on left and team color on right. Its tradition.

Haha, I never color cordinate at pick-up. In games yes, but in pick-up it is a must to rock the solid on left and team color on right. Its tradition.

To each their own I guess.

Another sock pet peeve of mine is guys who are playing on the "dark" team and wear white socks...and vice versa.

I just recently started playing ice hockey after playing roller hockey for most of my life (I'm 27). I have never actually purchased a pair of socks. The only ones I have I got for free from a Sports Replay when I bought a used pair of pants and shoulder pads. The socks are two different colors. Sometimes I just wear a baggy pair of sweat pants over my shin pads and then tape them on with CLOTH TAPE (OH THE HUMANITY!!!). I'm sorry if I don't adhere to your pick-up hockey dress code. I have also been known to wear a black pair of shoes with a brown belt and to wear white AFTER Labor day.

Here is my peeve: Dudes that spit their tobacco out on the floor of the bench. WTF!

I just recently started playing ice hockey after playing roller hockey for most of my life (I'm 27). I have never actually purchased a pair of socks. The only ones I have I got for free from a Sports Replay when I bought a used pair of pants and shoulder pads. The socks are two different colors. Sometimes I just wear a baggy pair of sweat pants over my shin pads and then tape them on with CLOTH TAPE (OH THE HUMANITY!!!). I'm sorry if I don't adhere to your pick-up hockey dress code. I have also been known to wear a black pair of shoes with a brown belt and to wear white AFTER Labor day.

haha mostly around here its youth at pickups and a couple adults. I see the youth all the time wearing 2 different color socks (you see them in the locker room with 2 pairs). If its tradition, okay, i guess i can see it. But i still dont like the mismatched socks. Its funny though cause usually those same kids are using masking tape to hold em up.

what's this whole "no white after labor day" thing? ive never actually gotten an explanation.

Never seen Psycho Mom?

Here is my peeve: Dudes that spit their tobacco out on the floor of the bench. WTF!

I used to do the track pant thing too...totally old school as far as I'm concerned.

The tobacco spit thing isn't so much a pet peeve as just plain gross...lucky no one in any of my regular groups does it. But, at a public shinny one night I walked back into the room at the end of the skate and about 5 guys (all 17-21ish) who had left the ice early had water bottles going full of spit and the floor was a mess...I damn near puked.

I would rather see shitty sock tape and sweatpants under pants than retards in mismatched socks. Especially when it's on purpose.

Yeah the sock thing is just stupid, unless you're either 10 years old, or left your matching socks at home on accident, put on some matching socks so you don't look like a dumbass. As far as the stick tape on the socks, I do that when I'm out of clear or can't bum any from a teammate, but that's all.

I think the dusters are the ones who care about how one should look on the ice. Most of the really good guys in my area are beer leaguers who couldn't give a rats ass about there gear.