Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I never said you shouldn't play, I just don't understand not trying to be or get better...

Not everyone gets enjoyment the same way you do. Personally, I enjoy continually improving myself in any hobby that I practise. I was in my thirties when I got Laura Stamm's Power Skating book and was delighted with any small improvements I got from the fine points of skating technique. But a lot of people are content with the way they play and don't have the drive to improve, and are just happy to be playing, and I see nothing wrong with that.

While I love hockey, it doesn't dominate all of my free time. Variety is the spice of life. I have other hobbies that might even take priority over hockey. I'm better at playing guitar than I am at playing hockey so I'm more dedicated to improving at that. So each individual has to decide how much time and effort he/she wants to dedicate to improving. Some will be one-track-minded about improving at one thing while some will be content with not improving, and some will prefer the variety of spreading their attention among several hobbies. It takes all kinds.

RLH was following a train of thought in a previous post where he mentioned that Basketball or other sports are "cheaper" in comparison to Hockey, whether it is organized or not.

But if a person prefers playing hockey over cheaper sports, and can easily afford it...

Fair enough...opinions are like assholes anyways... everyone else's stinks right ;)

If anyone is content to go out an muck it up and never have a care about getting better that is fine with me, I just don't get it. :)

Who said the guys aren't trying? They are probably trying their asses off at pickup. However, they have other things to do those other nights a week than disecting video of NHL games and shooting 500 pucks in the basement.

It is no different that golf. I play fairly often but I don't spend every free moment at the range agonizing over my swing or reading every article possible on how to improve. I try when I play but I also enjoy the game and the time with friends. Should I now quit golf because I don't fit what you think someone should do with their casual hobby?

Again, I've never said hockey has to consume your life. However, I can't see paying what it costs to play if you can't find an hour here and there to practice stick handling, getting yourself in a little better shape (which has benefits far beyond ice hockey), or learning a bit about the game. If you really don't have time for that it seems you'd could get the same thing that you're getting out of hockey at the local rec center or park and have a lot of extra money for other things. Just an opinion, obviously if you want to be the guy that picks up the gear for his once a week drop-in (or once a week league game) and that's about it you're completely free to do that. I'm just expressing an opinion and my reasoning for it.

Golf doesn't really compare, you can buy some decent clubs and golf at public courses for pretty cheap. I know because I do, golf is a very casual thing to me. Now if I were going to lay out for top of the line clubs and golf at expensive private country clubs then yes, I would see it as a complete waste to pay for that and not bother working to improve my game.

Who said the guys aren't trying? They are probably trying their asses off at pickup. However, they have other things to do those other nights a week than disecting video of NHL games and shooting 500 pucks in the basement.

It is no different that golf. I play fairly often but I don't spend every free moment at the range agonizing over my swing or reading every article possible on how to improve. I try when I play but I also enjoy the game and the time with friends. Should I now quit golf because I don't fit what you think someone should do with their casual hobby?

Again, I've never said hockey has to consume your life. However, I can't see paying what it costs to play if you can't find an hour here and there to practice stick handling, getting yourself in a little better shape (which has benefits far beyond ice hockey), or learning a bit about the game. If you really don't have time for that it seems you'd could get the same thing that you're getting out of hockey at the local rec center or park and have a lot of extra money for other things. Just an opinion, obviously if you want to be the guy that picks up the gear for his once a week drop-in (or once a week league game) and that's about it you're completely free to do that. I'm just expressing an opinion and my reasoning for it.

Golf doesn't really compare, you can buy some decent clubs and golf at public courses for pretty cheap. I know because I do, golf is a very casual thing to me. Now if I were going to lay out for top of the line clubs and golf at expensive private country clubs then yes, I would see it as a complete waste to pay for that and not bother working to improve my game.

Just to add to that. Hockey takes a pretty big commitment, even on the most casual level. You have to drive to a rink, buy lots of gear, put the gear on and take it off, get home probably at a late hour, shower and go to bed. It's a lot of time and effort, so if you're gonna go that far, why not give it a little extra time on non-playing days to add to the satisfaction you already get from just being out there. I can't understand it either but to each his own. That's what makes pick-up/shinny or whatever you want to call it the type of game that it is - hit or miss.

My original post sprung from seeing the same guys come to the same clinic/scrimmage for the past 5 years and bitch in the locker room about the coaches, the other players, and everything under the sun. They would never admit that they have been virtually uncoachable because they don't want to have to think for a second out there, don't want to push themselves and generally don't take a reasonable approach to trying to get better.

This clinic I speak of is finally ending after going strong for 10 years. There's been a carousel of coaches that start out with the best intentions but get frustrated and quit. It's a shame because it's been a really steady night for me at a good time slot. Gonna be tough to find another rink that is a reasonable distance from my house to play at.

You've been expressing your opinion on others pretty forcefully... And again, not all guys are in it to compete. A lot of them don't care about getting better, they only care about having a good time. Is that so hard to grasp?

When the commissioner/manager of the rink yells at the the referees while arguing a call and then proceeds to cross check a guy on our team in the back to illustrate his point... all he got was 2 minutes for that.

Sure it does, you can get gear on the cheap just as easily as golf clubs. Plus, $10 a week for pickup is hardly putting anyone in the poor house. And why should a person go to the park and play frisbee football instead just because he is happy with how he plays hockey and isn't wasting that hour or two that he is spending with his kid/wife/friends/family/etc?

Just to add to that. Hockey takes a pretty big commitment, even on the most casual level. You have to drive to a rink, buy lots of gear, put the gear on and take it off, get home probably at a late hour, shower and go to bed. It's a lot of time and effort, so if you're gonna go that far, why not give it a little extra time on non-playing days to add to the satisfaction you already get from just being out there. I can't understand it either but to each his own. That's what makes pick-up/shinny or whatever you want to call it the type of game that it is - hit or miss.

My original post sprung from seeing the same guys come to the same clinic/scrimmage for the past 5 years and bitch in the locker room about the coaches, the other players, and everything under the sun. They would never admit that they have been virtually uncoachable because they don't want to have to think for a second out there, don't want to push themselves and generally don't take a reasonable approach to trying to get better.

This clinic I speak of is finally ending after going strong for 10 years. There's been a carousel of coaches that start out with the best intentions but get frustrated and quit. It's a shame because it's been a really steady night for me at a good time slot. Gonna be tough to find another rink that is a reasonable distance from my house to play at.

If guys are complaining about not getting better and not putting in effort to improve then I don't get it.

But for guys that are happy just going out once a week, working up a sweat and hanging out with the guys, if they're happy playing at the same level then I don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe it's a sport they enjoy, they have the money to spend, and they like not having to stress about practicing and trying to improve.

Listen, I understand your frustration with the situation you're talking about, but that situation really doesn't apply to shinny/open hockey/etc. Thats a totally different situation where people are claiming they want to get better but not putting in the effort to do so. In that situation I agree with you, but when it comes to guys just going out to play shinny once in a while then I see no problem with not putting in outside effort to improve.

Lately it's been BS artists, or compulsive liars. However you want to look at it. Either where they have(n't) played or going to.

Listen, I understand your frustration with the situation you're talking about, but that situation really doesn't apply to shinny/open hockey/etc. Thats a totally different situation where people are claiming they want to get better but not putting in the effort to do so. In that situation I agree with you, but when it comes to guys just going out to play shinny once in a while then I see no problem with not putting in outside effort to improve.

Agreed. The clinic devolved into a pick-up hockey situation so I included it in this thread.

people who grab one of the backup sticks out of your stash, without asking, because they did not want to be bothered with buying or bringing one of their own. Actually had a righty grab one of my left handed two pieces one night then break the blade trying to take a slap shot with it... He actually refused to fork over the cash to me for a new blade until the rest of the guys there got on him about how big of an idiot he was being.

Even if I borrowed a stick (which I have done once in the last 10 years) with permission, I wouldn't even consider not paying the guy back if it broke while I was using it.

You would SWIFTLY get your ass kicked around here if you used someone's stick, without asking, wrong-handed, and them broke it and didn't want to pay for it. I can't even comprehend someone doing that.

You meet a lot of self-righteous people in and around the greater Pittsburgh area unfortunately. I don't get where the sense of entitlement comes from, but there is no mistaking the fact that it exists.

You are all right. You are all saying different things to each other though.

Nobody ever said you have to be good to play, don't put words in my mouth. I simply said if you aren't improving you aren't trying. Do it well or try to...or don't do it at all.

Growing up hockey wasn't an option for me. Course once I found the game I fell in love with it.

Of course family and building my business took most of my time... so much that I didn't even learn to skate till I was in my thirty's... finding local hockey clinics for grown-ups isn't easy... finding them local is almost impossible. So all my learning been at pick ups and from watching games. Good thing the guys I started playing with regular didn't think like you.

Instead of trashing the dudes that aren't playing to your expectations have you tried taking them to the side and offering some advice. Or maybe offer to help them work on their game?

Maybe they not improving cause nobody gave them some constructive criticism or showed them in a non-aggressive way

what they may be doing wrong and how to correct it.

Kid on my team this past tuesday just blows a shot over the net on a break-away, loops around the net and smashes his brand new X60 into the end boards snapping it in half. Two things then proceeded to happen that boggled my mind:

1. Skates back to the bench and starts begging guys on the bench for another stick cause his, "just broke," one of the new guys forks over his backup. The rest of us just told him to sit the rest of the game because we saw how he had broken it.

2. After the game we're talking about what he's going to do about a new stick. His answer : "Guys, relax, my dad pulls seven figures every six months, a new stick is no big deal..." I see this kid at the campus post office yesterday getting a long box from the people that work there. I already know what is in it and it made me want to vomit. He calls me over to show me; 4 brand new X60s overnighted to him from an online retailer. "Dad let me get a bunch because he doesn't want me to be in the situation where I have to borrow a crappy two-piece from someone again."

First thing, we play on a college club team in the lowest skill division.

Second, kid is one of the worst players on the team, doesn't need anything more than one or two Sherwood 5030s until he learns a little bit more.

Three, his parents refused to help sponsor the team when we were asking for donations in the fall.

I pay for all of my hockey equipment, and it kills me to see this spoiled kid get pretty much whatever he wants just so he can flaunt that he has the best gear over everyone else on the team. I really wish his buddy hadn't given him the backup stick the other night, just so I could have seen him pout on the bench for thirty minutes.

Same thing in my house inline league^^^^. Worst player on the team has an SE16. Everyone else just using a mid to low level OPS or woodie. This kid doesnt back check and cant even shoot but has top notch gear

If I had to sum up:

1. The douche bags. Guys acting like complete dicks that you showed up to "their" shinny party. It's open hockey, get over it.

Happens here SO much. If you're 'new' or not part of their little club you can expect:

1. No speech directed at you, whatsoever (negative included, which is good, I guess).

2. No passes to you. Never. Don't even entertain the thought.

3. If you're the last one on the bench and you're not one of their pals they are going to take 30 minute shifts and keep you there on purpose.

This !@#% was extremely annoying when I had just started.

Thats every Friday night at my local rink.

Same thing in my house inline league^^^^. Worst player on the team has an SE16. Everyone else just using a mid to low level OPS or woodie. This kid doesnt back check and cant even shoot but has top notch gear

I play both ice and inline, and I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I've been able to find amazing deals on top-of-the-line gear for both. My stuff is nice, and exactly what I want, but this kid just goes on sites like IceWarehouse and HockeyMonkey and finds the most expensive stuff he can and buys it. His skates are a sloppy mess because he bought the same size skate as his shoe (makes him look like a clown... honestly, red nose, bushy hair, clown). We've told him over and over again that there's no reason for him to be spending that much money on his gear. But, he won't listen. I have a ton of stories where this kid and his family just rub everyone on the team the wrong way, but there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

One story for the road: We're a club team, but the three officers (myself and two others) take the way the team conducts itself and business is handled fairly seriously because it reflects on us. After a game one night the kid's dad offers to take us all out for dinner. We're all college kids, we just played a game, we know he's loaded, so we take the generosity as a peace offering for not having given us any money for a team sponsorship. We go out to eat at a chain restaurant, no one gets anything over the top but 15-20 twenty something guys are going to eat a fair amount no matter what. We thank the kid's family and go home.

Next week the kid hands us a receipt with his family's orders blacked out, and a sheet of paper explaining we owe the guy's dad X amount of money for the meals. "My dad thought he was doing you guys a favor by getting you all food," I counted that no one would have gone had we known we'd have to pay the guy back, we're not going to reimburse him for what we thought was a gift. Literally the response was, "I'm going to tell my dad, then we'll see what happens!" Next week we three officers get called to the College President's Office and a instructed to cut a check for the kid's dad.

We've already received permission from the school to cut players next season so that we can have a reasonably sized roster. Guess who already has a one-way ticket off the team?

After a game one night the kid's dad offers to take us all out for dinner. We're all college kids, we just played a game, we know he's loaded, so we take the generosity as a peace offering for not having given us any money for a team sponsorship.

That's the part that really disgusts me. How to win friends and influence people, eh? Flaunt your grand worth of sticks while refusing to put a dime behind the team you play for; make a big deal of gestures, invoice later.

Having seen this kind of crap before, I make a prediction. When you cut the kid next year, one of two things will happen: either he'll throw his dad's wallet at the team trying to buy his way back on (in which case you are morally obligated by the hockey gods to soak him for every dime you can), or he'll have a petulant little explosion and you'll absolutely never hear from him again. Either way, you win. :)