Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I keep stats in my head, usually +/-, goals, assists. I'd like to at least get a goal, a couple assists, or be a positive +/- out there. But I'm not exactly announcing it all.

Except for when I jump on the ice right before SOMEONE ELSE scores, then I have to lean on the bench and say "that's my plus!" I'm a smartass and we've got a good group usually.

EDIT...when someone else scores.

As a noob (~4 months in), my pet peeves are:

1-people won't pass to you at all, even if you're open

2-people stop passing to you if you flub even one pass

3-people won't pass to you if they see in the warmups you are not amazing

4-people back off you as you rush up the ice as a sign of "giving you a chance" - I'd rather the defensmen come at me 100% - otherwise, I'll always suck

5-people even newer than me who try to play in open hockey and cannot even turn - I may suck, but at least I have the basic skating skills down

6-one team stacking all the talent on one side, just so that they can play with their friends

7-people who decide defense is not to be played in open hockey - i can guarantee you, the person who whines the most about nobody coming back on D never does so themselves

8-when there's no goalies, people who whoop it up after scoring when they slide the puck off the side bar 6 inches away

9-people who take head high slappers into a crowd from like 15 feet away

10-the 9-minute shifters who just glide over the ice - then after 3 minutes on the bench, start calling other people to take short shifts

11-people who surreptitiously drink my water bottle on the bench without asking, and finish 95% of the bottle in the first 15 minutes of playing - which forces me to miss a shift to walk to the other side of the rink to a water fountain to re-fill it

12-nights when no goalies show up

There are others, but many of them already mentioned...

As a noob (~4 months in), my pet peeves are:

1-people won't pass to you at all, even if you're open

2-people stop passing to you if you flub even one pass

3-people won't pass to you if they see in the warmups you are not amazing

4-people back off you as you rush up the ice as a sign of "giving you a chance" - I'd rather the defensmen come at me 100% - otherwise, I'll always suck

5-people even newer than me who try to play in open hockey and cannot even turn - I may suck, but at least I have the basic skating skills down

6-one team stacking all the talent on one side, just so that they can play with their friends

7-people who decide defense is not to be played in open hockey - i can guarantee you, the person who whines the most about nobody coming back on D never does so themselves

8-when there's no goalies. people who whoop it up after scoring when they slide the puck off the side bar from 6 inches from the goal

9-people who take head high slappers into a crowd from like 15 feet away

10-the 9-minute shifters who just glide over the ice - then after 3 minutes on the bench, start calling other people to take short shifts

11-people who surreptitiously drink my water bottle on the bench without asking, and finish 95% of the bottle in the first 15 minutes of playing - which forces me to miss a shift to walk to the other side of the rink to a water fountain to re-fill it

12-nights when no goalies show up

There are others, but many of them already mentioned...

All very good points. But I wanted to make a comment regarding point number 4. As a defender who sometimes finds themselves in the position of "backing off" at shinny, I just wanted to point out that it is not as easy as it seems to play someone so that they are challenged exactly right. We can't just play you "100%" or you won't have the puck for more than a second or two - trust me, you won't have much fun watching me immediately poke the puck between your feet, step around you and whip a rocket at your tender. And I agree that it also sucks when people back off too much and don't challenge you at all (I have had that happen to me when I rushed up ice, so I know how you feel). But finding that just right point to make it challenging and not discouraging is a bit of a skill in and of itself - you have to read people well. So just recognize that by backing off, they are at least trying to be nice and that if they back off too much, it might just be because they are bad at finding that right level (or are too lazy to try) and not that they are being a douche.

I agree with that...I just played pickup today and while I definitely played D and tried to knock the puck off the forward's stick, I wasn't playing super tight defense and going all out...

I second the no goalies thing, too! That's why I'm looking into getting a set of gear and bringing it to pickups from now on...just in case no goalies show up, I'm the freaking hero.

question for the goalies: how do you guys feel about players doing dekes? I'm probably 80/20 shoot/deke unless i have good repor with the guy then i'll go 70/30 deke/shoot to just goof around and try stuff i would never do with people i don't know.

I don't play goalie regularly, maybe 20 times a year, so I don't know if I deserve to give the "goalie's" perspective, but I don't care what anyone does. I'd rather see them deke and give me a better challenge.

I had the "Score Keeper" this morning! Dude was a little late, but he came on the ice, jumped on the bench and the first thing out of his mouth was "either of you guys know the score?". I just pretended not to hear him.

I also had Randy McKay from the old "Crash Line" out with me today. Guy shadowed me everywhere, nudging me, hacking at my stick even when I had it off the ice and watching the play in the opposite corner. Kind of had to do every bit to keep my cool. The best was scoring when I was able to shake him...

In our regular group we keep score...in fact the guy that runs the skate keeps track and at the end of the year we always know who "won" the season series *L*

But....at a public shinny keeping score is a little dumb.

question for the goalies: how do you guys feel about players doing dekes? I'm probably 80/20 shoot/deke unless i have good repor with the guy then i'll go 70/30 deke/shoot to just goof around and try stuff i would never do with people i don't know.

During a drop in game or stick and puck?

If it's a game, then heck yeah, game on. I expect players to go all out and throw their best moves on me if they get a one-on-one situation. I also face a LOT of deking during stick times, which I don't mind in general. I find it challenging and am usually a very, very strong goalie in a breakaway scenario. The only time I find it completely obnoxious is when I first get in net and am not warmed up. I see no benefit in going 100% and getting myself injured just to shut down some hot shot on the first try. If people try that nonsense on me, I tend to ignore them until I'm properly warmed up and stretched, then I have a good time trying to stuff them.

NEWSFLASH: (to the general public) If you throw your hottest, fastest new move and deke out a cold goaltender at a stick time, you are nobody's hero.

NEWSFLASH: (to the general public) If you throw your hottest, fastest new move and deke out a cold goaltender at a stick time, you are nobody's hero.

I've seen this done SO many times. It's SUCH bad etiquette to go in and deke a goalie when hes warming up. I'm not even a goalie, I just always see the exasberated face of the tendy. I'll actually usually go up to people and tell them to just shoot. You can pull your one hander crap later when he can properly go post to post.

my best friend growing up would just stand there in the set position or whatever it's called and not even move when people would throw dekes down... as if they weren't even there. it was hilarious to watch. he only did that during warm ups. didn't want dudes coming in and dekeing during the st. louis/wisconsin drill. only wanted low shots. the tools on our team HATED it. he would also totally ignore everyone before games.

I still laugh when I visualize a dude coming in and putting

like 10 moves on him and he's just standing there like the kid doesn't exist.

As a retired goalie playing exclusively shinny, now playing out, it depends if your question relates to warm up or the actual game. As a goalie, I didn't want to have anything to do with dekes during warm up. Warm up for me was to feel the puck hit me, to warm up before going to the corner and stretch. As for the game itself, everything goes. Dekes, slappers, wristers, screened shots etc.

As a retired goalie playing exclusively shinny, now playing out, it depends if your question relates to warm up or the actual game. As a goalie, I didn't want to have anything to do with dekes during warm up. Warm up for me was to feel the puck hit me, to warm up before going to the corner and stretch. As for the game itself, everything goes. Dekes, slappers, wristers, screened shots etc.

during stick time, i know in warmups most goalies don't really move anyways lol (till they are warmed up and stretch)

In warmups I aim for the leg pad, blocker or glove. It gives the goalie to get a chance to see the puck and feel the rebounds and it gives me a specific target to aim for.

In warmups I aim for the leg pad, blocker or glove. It gives the goalie to get a chance to see the puck and feel the rebounds and it gives me a specific target to aim for.

You're exactly the type of player I loved in warmups. You're the type of player who gets it. Now that I'm playing forward, I do the same. Although it may not look like it, this adds a lot of confidence to the goalie as he feels the puck and stops them, even though they are usually shot directly at him and there's not much chance the puck would go through anyway. It's a mental thing I guess . Gets him to work his glove hand, blocker etc.

I dipsy doodle and aim for the corners when the goalie's stretching in the corner.

When I used to play goalie I felt so much more confident when people just shot it at the pads during warmups, I distinctly remember hating the feeling of starting a game when people were trying to snipe during warm ups. So all in all, during warm ups just shoot at pads but once play starts I'd say dekes are fair game.

When I used to play goalie I felt so much more confident when people just shot it at the pads during warmups, I distinctly remember hating the feeling of starting a game when people were trying to snipe during warm ups.

I had a coach that told us to shoot at pads for this very reason

Just look at warmups in the NHL. They are shooting at the goalie, not the corners. The goal is to get the goalie to loosen up, feel the puck and build confidence and you cannot achieve that by deeking a goalie out of his jock during warmups.

I always tell my goalie, except in pickup, to just shake where he wants me to shoot at. I haven't payed attention to where they've been seeing shots. In pickup, I normally go for the blocker because I'm more likely to miss to the left and have clipped goalies in bad spots on their arms or hit them in the face(both of them hold their gloves high). More often that not it hits them in the glove but for the few times I have hit them in bad spots I remember and want to avoid.

When I'm warming up as a goalie, I'm just trying to get my puck tracking locked in, and to get comfortable with my angles. I won't even drop into a butterfly, I'll watch the puck go all the way into the net if need be. That's why I like it when guys start shooting from further away first, and the move their release closer to the net as I get warmer; it just gives me a chance to get comfortable seeing the puck and reading where it's going.

Warm ups??!! We don't need no stinkin' warm ups!!!

Actually, the problem is I'm one of the few guys willing to play goalie whenever one of the regulars doesn't show, so I end up waiting until about fifteen minutes to go before making the decision whether to play goalie or out. Since I need to use my hands to talk, I'm slow getting dressed anyway, but once I agree that I'll play goalie, I'm always out later than everyone else. Bye-bye warm ups....

Warm ups??!! We don't need no stinkin' warm ups!!!

Actually, the problem is I'm one of the few guys willing to play goalie whenever one of the regulars doesn't show, so I end up waiting until about fifteen minutes to go before making the decision whether to play goalie or out. Since I need to use my hands to talk, I'm slow getting dressed anyway, but once I agree that I'll play goalie, I'm always out later than everyone else. Bye-bye warm ups....

Haha this reminds me of a game last summer. Our goalie was running a little late and so to start the game we just had six skaters on the ice. I volunteered to stay back in the net and try to block what I could. I ended up letting one goal in which turned out to be the game winner because we lost by one! DOH.

Last night while playing pick up, myself and another guy are racing for a puck in the corner. I clearly have him beat to the puck, and this tool just flat out runs me into the boards at full speed. He was apologetic, and was like "sorry I'm not that good, and couldn't really stop" I was like "wtf? then why were you going at me full speed?, It's fucking pick up". Wrenched my back, and am in discomfort today. Fucking tool.

Haha this reminds me of a game last summer. Our goalie was running a little late and so to start the game we just had six skaters on the ice. I volunteered to stay back in the net and try to block what I could. I ended up letting one goal in which turned out to be the game winner because we lost by one! DOH.

unless it was a 1-0 final, you didnt let in the game winner. regardless, only letting one past is something to be proud of.

I have a pet peeve with people chopping at your stick in pick-up. Last week I was playing 4-on-4 on a smaller ice sheet, and guys kept lumberjacking me on the stick, especially if I had any chance at a breakaway. I hate this in league games, let alone a game that means absolutely nothing. To top it off, one of the guys that kept doing that hauls me down with a two hand hook after he loses the puck. I understand you want to be competitive, but come on. Give it a rest.

Last night while playing pick up, myself and another guy are racing for a puck in the corner. I clearly have him beat to the puck, and this tool just flat out runs me into the boards at full speed. He was apologetic, and was like "sorry I'm not that good, and couldn't really stop" I was like "wtf? then why were you going at me full speed?, It's fucking pick up". Wrenched my back, and am in discomfort today. Fucking tool.

The ice around the boards at the rink I play at is a bit iffy, especially around the Zamboni door. I've had several friends hurt their legs in those areas over the past few years, just going in by themselves. To avoid what just happened to you and what happened to them, I don't really go hard into the corners anymore. Behind the net is a different story, depending on the situation...