Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I wouldn't say that. The issue the guy had usually shows up with high school hero types. The times that I've shared the ice with guys who have played the game at high levels, they're usually trying as hard as they can to get the lesser skilled guys and especially those struggling involved in the game.

I wouldn't say that. The issue the guy had usually shows up with high school hero types. The times that I've shared the ice with guys who have played the game at high levels, they're usually trying as hard as they can to get the lesser skilled guys and especially those struggling involved in the game.

Fair enough, valid point.

I think the key is that the very highly skilled guys remember being the weakest players on the ice (first year of Juniors, NCAA, Minor-pro, etc.) and can relate to novices experiencing the same "growing pains". It's the U18 AAA minor hockey guys (just an example) that seem to always present the elitist attitude.

It comes back to the big fish small pond vs. little fish big pond argument.

its more that the truly best guys on the ice have absolutely nothing to prove, and are there for excerise or to keep their touch... not to try new moves and show off their new white gloves and mirrored visor.

i played pick up a few months ago with a guy who played on the korean national team. he was amazing, every time he touched the puck, he scored. but the thing was, he never carried the puck over either blue line, always passed to whoever had the best chance of advancing the play regardless of skill and was super humble. he KNEW he was the best out there, and had nothing to prove.

hell some brought TO sticks to pick up,

Okay, regardless of your skill level, why wouldn't you bring two sticks? It's not like you have to be talented to break a stick, and I don't know about you, but I don't fancy paying for drop in and finding myself without a stick 20 minutes into the skate.

Okay, regardless of your skill level, why wouldn't you bring two sticks? It's not like you have to be talented to break a stick, and I don't know about you, but I don't fancy paying for drop in and finding myself without a stick 20 minutes into the skate.

I believe he meant TotalOne sticks.

Yes, I did mean Total One sticks. I really only said that because, and maybe this is because I haven't seen it personally from the other side, unless I am getting free sticks, I'm not going to be bringing a $230 stick to a crappy pick up game, especially one with no goalies and hardly enough to make a full line for each team.

And I actually do bring two sticks with me at all times, though I hope I'll never have to use both.

And how exactly are they supposed to get better if they don't come out and play? If you want to skate only with people of similar skill level you can always play beer league.

It's probably already been mentioned, but the chronic stick tappers on the ice. Yes, I get it, you think you're open. There was a guy out to my regular shinny skates who basically never stopped tapping his stick up and down the ice.

Extremely annoying, and the best way to ensure that I'll be moving the puck elsewhere for a pass.

It's probably already been mentioned, but the chronic stick tappers on the ice. Yes, I get it, you think you're open. There was a guy out to my regular shinny skates who basically never stopped tapping his stick up and down the ice.

Extremely annoying, and the best way to ensure that I'll be moving the puck elsewhere for a pass.

Couldn't agree more. Just because you aren't covered doesn't mean you're open.

My pet peeves are people who take it too seriously and people who show up to play when they barely know how to skate.

you were at that stage once before, remember

My pet peeves are people who take it too seriously and people who show up to play when they barely know how to skate.

Outside of private skates that are known to be at higher levels, many of us would argue that players who would rather exclude those who barely know how to skate are taking it too seriously.

We have a 75-year-old that skates with us regularly. At this point, it's effectively as though he barely can skate, because he just doesn't have the strength anymore. We give him the "Johnny Zone," where we'll try to give him token pressure, but we're really accommodating for the fact he no longer has the same skills as he once did.

you were at that stage once before, remember

I was, but I didnt show up to play hockey until I was a decent skater. As the old saying goes, "if you cant skate, you cant play hockey."

Outside of private skates that are known to be at higher levels, many of us would argue that players who would rather exclude those who barely know how to skate are taking it too seriously.

I never said that would rathar exclude them, its just one of my pet peeves. Like I said in an earlier post, if you cant skate you cant play hockey.

I should probably explain what I mean by, "can barely skate" too. By that, I mean people who simply arent in control on their edges, cant turn, cant stop and fall down all the time. More than once Ive had a new skater inadvertently slash me because they lost their balance.

I didnt start playing shinny until I had been skating for a little over a year and could skate forward, skate backwards, turn and stop quickly. I guess a lot of the rest of you are much more forgiving and tolorant than I am.

I was, but I didnt show up to play hockey until I was a decent skater. As the old saying goes, "if you cant skate, you cant play hockey."

I never said that would rathar exclude them, its just one of my pet peeves. Like I said in an earlier post, if you cant skate you cant play hockey.

There are plenty of players in the world who could say similar things about your abilities as well.

There are plenty of players in the world who could say similar things about your abilities as well.

LOL...no doubt about that! :biggrin:

Went over to Brampton for some teen (13-17) shinny...for $2, I figured it was a steal for 1.5 hrs of ice time. Safe to say I'll never play with kids again...rather spend the $9 to play with the adults because I'm of borderline age.

-1/3 of the kids had no gear save for gloves and a helmet...despite it being a gear mandatory game. If I highstick you or hit you by accident, it's your fault stupid child

-Most of the gearless kids (one idiot was wearing a t-shirt while the other 2/3rds had full gear!) were the skilled kids too. I mean, if you were a new skater, I suppose one could forgive you because maybe you can't afford it and just want to try pickup, but these other kids are either stupid or lazy.

-These gearless kids do all the chirping

-With around 20 kids, a good game could definitely be played. So me being the leader, I let 'warmup' go for about 30 min before going around and asking the kids if they wanted to start, blacks and whites vs colored. That took another 5 min and me telling the kids to put the pucks in the nets and divvy up the teams took another 5

-Oh, the dreaded 5 minute shifts....after politely telling one of the gearless kids to stop taking these mammoth shifts (I only took 2 minutes max btw :P) his buddy asked if I was Ron Wilson and if I knew who he was. I really wanted to tell the kid I knew the entire Leafs roster, what position, game style and number they wore and where they came from, but I decided against it lol. He said I should stop 'coaching', but without my 'coaching' these 20 kids would've been whacking at 10 pucks for 2 hours...

-Game broke down after about 30min after some retards decided to whack around their own puck in the middle of the game, luckily there was an adult shinny game in the next rink so I suppose it was a happy ending :)

-end rant-

Had a guy last night tell me not to "slash his 220 dollar stick". Then procceded to hit my ankles when I skated off. Also, guys that will play the body then complain when they get touched. Just establish hitting or not before the game so no one is surprised. An off note pet peeve of mine is guys that cant pass, shoot or makes plays, that are borderline benders can somehow out hustle me when theres a free puck up for grabs or on breakaways, just ask myself....wtf?

Had a guy last night tell me not to "slash his 220 dollar stick". Then procceded to hit my ankles when I skated off. Also, guys that will play the body then complain when they get touched. Just establish hitting or not before the game so no one is surprised. An off note pet peeve of mine is guys that cant pass, shoot or makes plays, that are borderline benders can somehow out hustle me when theres a free puck up for grabs or on breakaways, just ask myself....wtf?

Precisely the type to avoid in pickup.....who slashes in pickup? stick checking is alright

"establishing hitting in pickup?" lol wow

pet peeve is the guys who play pickup like a beer league game

I didnt slash...I dont ever slash. I had my wrist broken in high school from that. Also, we have a pretty close group of guys that been playing forever that get it. Outsiders come in to play and try to throw hits. If people want to hit me full on, they need to let it be known their intentions beforehand.(Not sure in you meant to avoid me or the other guy)

To be fair, you shouldn't be chopping lumber at a pick up skate.

If I did chop on his stick, Im sure it would of been in two pieces(his or mine). I simply skated on the outside of him and picked his pocket with a minor stick lift then passed it off for a break. Then had my feet taken out from under me. Im most definitely not a cheap player.

So, what would you guys say is a base level of skating ability that a person should have before going to play pickup hockey?